• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you're happier now, aren't you?

Absolutely. I love the way it stutters when I scroll through my app drawer, the lag when I turn my screen on, the hideous home screen, the random crashes of the maps/navigation app or the inconsistent design language throughout the apps. But my favorite is the random drop of any data connection, when the WiFi icon and signal bars turn gray and I have to put my phone into airplane mode to fix it.

Thanks.

Makes sense that I never heard about it then.

They have 18k likes on Facebook and apparently 1.1 million users. Even Path has more users and no one knows them.

Tomcat

It's like Instagram, but without the success.

technically it is the instagram of Symbian. and since Symbian has millions of users even now (more than wp) this app is a success. Not in the world of theverge and engadget of course where they don't know what Symbian is :p

technically it is the instagram of Symbian. and since Symbian has millions of users even now (more than wp) this app is a success. Not in the world of theverge and engadget of course where they don't know what Symbian is :p

See my post above. 1.1 million users is not bad, but they're on 4 platforms.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Is Symbian a better OS than Windows Phone in your world?

Tomcat

Is Symbian a better OS than Windows Phone in your world?

no it isn't but its not a bad one with the latest belle fp2 update. its unfinished though with many little bugs that probably they wont be solved and no really good apps. I have the pureview 808 and its the best companion phone thanks to its amazing camera, battery that's lasts ages and offline navigation. but as my daily driver phone I prefer my wp.

Izuna

Banned
uuuh guys, I'm scared

I unbranded my Orange Lumia 800 ages ago with a 7.8, but just today it wants me to update the phone.

Will I go back to having an Orange brand phone, or is the update useless to me? I didn't just unbrand it because of the logo, but because now I can tether with giffgaff.

hadareud

The Translator
You should be fine.

I've unlocked my 920 and had 2 updates since without it causing a problem/re-applying the sim-lock.

The orange logo may well come back though.

Izuna

Banned
You should be fine.

I've unlocked my 920 and had 2 updates since without it causing a problem/re-applying the sim-lock.

The orange logo may well come back though.

Sim-lock isn't what I'm concerned about. The Orange logo returning will pretty much kill tethering and the only way to un-brand it is to reset all my settings again, which right now is the last thing I want to do, since there's no way to either save app settings (Kanji training stats, Pip-boy quests, 100km travel on Crimson Dragon etc.) -- is it just Orange trying to give me Windows Phone 7.8? If so I can skip it, but if not, and it's some sort of 7.8.1 I need to know what it does.

uuuh guys, I'm scared

I unbranded my Orange Lumia 800 ages ago with a 7.8, but just today it wants me to update the phone.

Will I go back to having an Orange brand phone, or is the update useless to me? I didn't just unbrand it because of the logo, but because now I can tether with giffgaff.

Depending on how you unbranded your phone, you'll receive normal updates. The update system sees your phone as an unbranded Nokia Lumia 800, not as an Orange Lumia 800.

I thought the Lumia 900's picture was noisy.

I printed them out on 4R photo paper using my Canon PIXMA E510, and...

Where'd that noise go? I guess sometimes, noise can be ignored.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
no it isn't but its not a bad one with the latest belle fp2 update. its unfinished though with many little bugs that probably they wont be solved and no really good apps. I have the pureview 808 and its the best companion phone thanks to its amazing camera, battery that's lasts ages and offline navigation. but as my daily driver phone I prefer my wp.

I don't think I've ever used Symbian, but once in a while someone will post that Nokia should've stuck with it and that puzzles me. Ecosystems are important, and as bad as WP is, Symbian is worse and I didn't see it getting any better. Nokia had to pick between Android and WP. MS paid them so that made the choice easier. I think they'd be struggling against Samsung in android land just like everyone else is, but that's a separate debate.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't know when this happened, but a few more of my old games have become wp8 compatible: Bouncy Mouse and Vanessa Saint-Pierre de la Crux. They didn't show up on the market when I first moved up to Apollo.

MCD

Kindel explained at the time that Steven Sinofsky, who previously ran the Windows division, opposed paying developers for apps.

Sinofsky was the reason why WP never took off. Guy was way too old school.

joshschw

I have too many apps and games to know what to do with. I think when people complain there's "no apps/games" what they mean is that it's missing whatever has been in the past the hot app of the moment. So Microsoft should just pony up and give instagram too much money to throw some app on the store.

Better that then giving small developers $100 per app, because that doesn't really do anything. There's already many high quality small developer made apps that are of high quality.

dLMN8R

I'm finally moving my stuff over to Outlook.com from gmail, but god damn that TrueSwitch stuff is taking forever. I don't even know if it's doing anything.

Has anyone else used it? Does it grab everything, even everything from the Archive directory? I have mail in folders from my labels, but not all of my mail has labels. I have another folder called GMAIL_Mail, but that doesn't have anything in it.

I have a local copy of my entire gmail account downloaded to Thunderbird, thanks to IMAP, but Outlook.com doesn't support IMAP so that doesn't work. Any other solutions?

Fjolle

I'm finally moving my stuff over to Outlook.com from gmail, but god damn that TrueSwitch stuff is taking forever. I don't even know if it's doing anything.

Has anyone else used it? Does it grab everything, even everything from the Archive directory? I have mail in folders from my labels, but not all of my mail has labels. I have another folder called GMAIL_Mail, but that doesn't have anything in it.

I have a local copy of my entire gmail account downloaded to Thunderbird, thanks to IMAP, but Outlook.com doesn't support IMAP so that doesn't work. Any other solutions?

I didn't use some switch thing, but i imported all my gmail mails a while back, and it took ages. I've never used labels, so i have no idea if they are transferred.

Izuna

Banned
Depending on how you unbranded your phone, you'll receive normal updates. The update system sees your phone as an unbranded Nokia Lumia 800, not as an Orange Lumia 800.

Just confirming that you're right. I installed the update and everything's A-Okay. =)

am tempted to try this

Please don't!

Really, I still keep my Google account in sync because of... well, just in case. I rarely use it these days - most of my emails and stuff are in Outlook.com, and my contacts and calendar are Outlook, too.

I have to keep my Google account, though. *blames the Android 4.1 tablet he has*

thirty

Banned
Vyclone app is coming soon. I asked them directly through Facebook and they replied they were working very hard with Microsoft and to look forward to an announcement soon.

joshschw

Even forgetting the dust in the front camera.... The proximity sensor problems on my 920 are more than a little annoying lately. :)

I doubt I need to describe them to anyone else who's had them arise. Any solutions?
I read that it's not dust getting behind the glass just a couple weeks ago.

Lucius86

Banned
Even forgetting the dust in the front camera.... The proximity sensor problems on my 920 are more than a little annoying lately. :)

I doubt I need to describe them to anyone else who's had them arise. Any solutions?
I read that it's not dust getting behind the glass just a couple weeks ago.

Alas no - some people have said a compressed air can into the earpiece helps, but it hasn't worked for me.

As for a fix, apparently Nokia have one in the next batch of system updates for the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom