• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

Probably has been answered several times during this thread so sorry but as a new user of WP8 what are the must have apps? First smartphone ever for me (Lumia 920) so I am total newbie lol.

You should take a look at the 'Collection's section in the Store. It provides curated lists of the more popular apps under the categories you might be interested in.

Nokia has an app called App Highlights, its in the Nokia collection section of the market and its a good place to start.

Yup, it's actually my fav. You can filter by rating, price, and category.

My fav apps:

Amazing Weather HD: excellent weather app, live tile and lock screen support
App Highlights: helps app discovery and easy to find/filter/search apps
Battery Status: battery app
Connectivity Tiles: shortcuts to wifi, airplane mode, etc.
Facebook
FFFFound: live tile and lock screen support, finds random art from the FFFFound site
Flashlight XT: no frills flashlight app
Nokia's HERE apps: Drive is most important here for me, great navigation, offline maps
IMDb
LastPass
Mango Transit: HERE Transit doesn't support DC :( So I use this
Metrotube: Best Youtube app
Newser: Great news app, live tile and breaking news alerts. I choose this over something like Weave because it shows the headline on the live tile, not just the image
Nextgen Reader: Best Google Reader app
Office
OneNote
Pageonce
Photosynth: excellent 3D panorama app
Podcast Lounge: best podcast app, IMO--WP's podcast support is bad
Rowi: good twitter app
SkyDrive
Talking Alarm Clock: I use this to turn my phone into a clock/alarm clock at night
TVShow
Vimeo
Wikipedia: GREAT 3rd party wikipedia app (yellow icon, if you have trouble finding it)
WPCentral: WP news source
YouTube

hadareud

The Translator
Hmm, what has your battery life been like?

Quite good, it lasts about a day and a half or 2 days with heavy usage (though usually I just put in on the wireless charger for an hour or so in the afternoon).

When the last update for amazing weather came out last month all of a sudden my battery started draining like crazy (like 40 % in a few hours), same on my gf's phone. Blocked the background task and it went back to normal. Both 920's btw.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Quite good, it lasts about a day and a half or 2 days with heavy usage (though usually I just put in on the wireless charger for an hour or so in the afternoon).

When the last update for amazing weather came out last month all of a sudden my battery started draining like crazy (like 40 % in a few hours), same on my gf's phone. Blocked the background task and it went back to normal. Both 920's btw.

Don't think I see that level of battery drain with Amazing Weather, but I also don't get the battery life you describe. I generally get 14-16 hours of moderate use. Playing games can really sap battery, but that is not unusual I think.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, when I'm playing games the battery does drain very quickly depending on the game (oddly enough even wordament drains the battery like mental).

Other than that I'm happy with the battery. It's a lot better than my old phone despite me using it a lot more and for more things. In the evenings I am constantly on it, I hardly ever use my PC anymore.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, when I'm playing games the battery does drain very quickly depending on the game (oddly enough even wordament drains the battery like mental).

Other than that I'm happy with the battery. It's a lot better than my old phone despite me using it a lot more and for more things. In the evenings I am constantly on it, I hardly ever use my PC anymore.

Wordament has always been a battery hog, even on my 900. They need to give that game an update but they are too bust whoring it out on iOS :)

As an aside, when I play Wordment I thought the number of players would have seen a big increase. On average there are about 600 more players when I play.

I think I am going to add a "New to WP" area to the OT with app recommendations for popular apps that someone may want if they're switching to WP OR just to serve as a listing for people wondering "Does WP have X app?"

• Instagram: not available
  • Pandora: Official Pandora app; MetroRadio Pro
  • Spotify: Official Spotify app
  • Twitter: Official Twitter app; Rowi; Mehdoh
  • Facebook: Official Twitter app
  • Youtube: Official Youtube app (redirects to mobile site); Metrotube
  • Google Maps: gMaps
  • Dropbox: ?

What else?

Wordament has always been a battery hog, even on my 900. They need to give that game an update but they are too bust whoring it out on iOS :)

As an aside, when I play Wordment I thought the number of players would have seen a big increase. On average there are about 600 more players when I play.

Leave them alone. I love playing Wordament on my iPad and I can't wait for the Android version.

dorkimoe

I think I am going to add a "New to WP" area to the OT with app recommendations for popular apps that someone may want if they're switching to WP OR just to serve as a listing for people wondering "Does WP have X app?"

What else?

Great idea

What else?

I'm really glad you made the OT. You update the OP more often than Microsoft updates the OS.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

What else?

For Dropbox, I use a client called Kickbox. Also, Box has an official client. And in terms of big hitters, I would add that Tune In Radio and Kindle have official apps.

For Dropbox, I use a client called Kickbox. Also, Box has an official client. And in terms of big hitters, I would add that Tune In Radio and Kindle have official apps.

Good call, thanks. Updated:

• Pandora: Official app; MetroRadio Pro
  • Spotify: Official app
  • Twitter: Official app; Rowi; Mehdoh
  • Facebook: Official app
  • Youtube: Official app (redirects to mobile site); Metrotube
  • Dropbox: Kickbox
  • Box: Official Box app
  • Tune in Radio: Official app
  • Amazon: Official app
  • Amazon Kindle: Official app

MCD

Other official stuff to add:

eBay, Newegg, XE Currency, Dictionary.com, Google search, Line messenger, Kik Messenger, Viper, Speedtest.net, WhatsApp.

Note: PDF reader is provided by MS not Adobe and that shit is vile.

Other official stuff to add:

eBay, Newegg, XE Currency, Dictionary.com, Google search, Line messenger, Kik Messenger, Viper, Speedtest.net, WhatsApp.

Note: PDF reader is provided by MS not Adobe and that shit is vile.

Interesting tidbit: When I interviewed at MS, one of my interview questions was about PDF Readers.

So instead of having a super huge list, you could list whatever you think are the top apps and then link to the essentials collection on the windows phone store: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/collections/great-on-8/daea484b-30bf-4636-98c3-be2f71764500

Yeah, I'd like the list to be more of an answer to "Well, if it had X app, I'd think about switching" or "I've just switched to WP, does it have X app?" rather than a list of all official apps. I'll link to that essentials collection, though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The update for Amazing Weather is now up.

edit: currently getting an error trying to download it. May have to wait a little bit.

hadareud

The Translator
The update for Amazing Weather is now up.

edit: currently getting an error trying to download it. May have to wait a little bit.
Thanks.

Just downloaded it (took ages). Background task enabled again, lets hope the battery issues have resolved themselves for me.

Are there any good weather apps that aren't hard on the battery? I was thinking about getting Amazing Weather until someone said it was a battery hog. I hate that I'm afraid to try new apps because I'm scared of going back to the days of my first three 920s that only had 6 hours of juice in them. My fourth 920 finally has a decent battery, but somehow it's taken a hit in the last couple weeks, right around the time I decided to try a bunch of apps recommended on WP Central.

Are there any good weather apps that aren't hard on the battery? I was thinking about getting Amazing Weather until someone said it was a battery hog. I hate that I'm afraid to try new apps because I'm scared of going back to the days of my first three 920s that only had 6 hours of juice in them. My fourth 920 finally has a decent battery, but somehow it's taken a hit in the last couple weeks, right around the time I decided to try a bunch of apps recommended on WP Central.

FWIW, AmazingWeather hasn't been much of a battery hog for me. The only thing that I can consistently pin down to being a battery hog is WP's GPS search (due to my shitty reception/location at work).

f0lken

I still think its crazy that apps like Instagram and Pandora are still missing. How does Microsoft expect to grow the user base if it can't get all these mainstream apps? I was actually talking to one of my professors about my Lumia and was starting to sell him on WP8 but when I said there wasn't an app for Pandora he was immediately turned off.

Time to talk to your professor again.

I just came back form the Telcel store, the Lumias will be available next week, damn, I wanted mine now :(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Pandora has almost 400 reviews already averaging 5 stars. Sounds like the app hold up really well to the versions on other OS's.

That's good to hear. I haven't messed around with it at all. Rather than just having big name apps, I'd prefer them take their time and make a good product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom