• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
Great to see Brotherhood, Drift Mania, Asphalt, Real Soccer, and others come to WP. I think this has everything to do with devs spending time with the dev kit that Microsoft gave out so damn late.

Of, I've given up hope on Dodonpachi.

I bought it on my Nexus. Sigh, looking at Play catalog, Microsoft store is way behind. I am looking at all Square games on there. I can actually retired my DS.

I can see why people that are app centric would have terrible time switching to WP.

Totakeke

Galactic Reign > Skulls of the Shogun for cross platform async play since both players can play their turns at the same time. Games can flow much faster.

But the players I've been playing have been pushovers so far though. No ranking system sucks.

maeh2k

What does this even mean?

I meant it in terms of UI. With other operating systems, when you want to use an app like Photosynth or Cinemagram, you go to the home screen, scroll to the app icon and start it. On Windows Phone 8 you can just launch the camera (e.g. when the phone is locked by holding the dedicated camera button), then press the 'lenses' button, which shows you all apps that integrate with the camera, and select e.g. the Photosynth lens. It doesn't even just open the regular Photosynth app, but just the picture-taking part of it, so you can immediately capture the scene. Photos taken with apps like Photosynth or Cinemagram will then appear directly in the list of previous photos, like regular photos except that you can open them with the respective app.

So in a way every app can integrate as nicely with the camera experience as e.g. Samsung's or Apples own camera features.

Galaxy Note II. Maybe it's uglier, but:

A) I can install a good mobile browser on it
B) I don't have to worry about ringtone's volume when I turn the volume down on music player
C) I can actually send full size photos in my emails
C) It actually vibrates all the time during incoming calls
D) Games
E) I feel in love with S-pen. Shit can be very useful

*hi-5*

I completely don't understand point A considering you've left IE 10 for... whatever they have on Android.

i would make a list, but it would be really long.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I hadn't noticed the "buzz" section of the Xbox music artist page on the phone. It links to gigs, videos etc. for the artist. I'm assuming its not available in all countries, but if it shows up for you, it's pretty useful. Click on the artist in the music hub then wait a bit, it should show up as a tab if its enabled for your country.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I hadn't noticed the "buzz" section of the Xbox music artist page on the phone. It links to gigs, videos etc. for the artist. I'm assuming its not available in all countries, but if it shows up for you, it's pretty useful. Click on the artist in the music hub then wait a bit, it should show up as a tab if its enabled for your country.

I think you need to have suggestions turned on as well.

Galaxy Note II. Maybe it's uglier, but:

A) I can install a good mobile browser on it
B) I don't have to worry about ringtone's volume when I turn the volume down on music player
C) I can actually send full size photos in my emails
C) It actually vibrates all the time during incoming calls
D) Games
E) I feel in love with S-pen. Shit can be very useful

Welcome to the Master Race, friend. Don't forget that you can now run 2 apps at once in split-screen with Multi-Window! Also, if you are looking for a great music player for your locally stored music, I use Poweramp and it was worth every penny I spent on it since my phone is my PMP and has been for years now. Obviously for streaming just use the Google Music player so you can access your up to 20,000 songs for free from the cloud.

I completely don't understand point A considering you've left IE 10 for... whatever they have on Android.

On Android first you have the stock Note II browser which is actually really great and I prefer it, and then you can also choose from Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and a bunch of other lesser-known options like Dolphin.

How often are other OS's discussed in the Android and iOS threads? Just curious, I don't venture into them.

Frequently. Android-GAF are a pretty cool group of guys, you should stop by sometime and say hi! We don't bite! I don't hang out in the iOS threads so I can't speak to the state of Apple-GAF.

I don't even mind that, but the galaxy note 2 feature set discussion from soldier was kinda weird. But then again, its soldier. That's what he does.

Everyone else seemed to think it was perfectly normal, and people even called out your weird response to my post. He specifically mentioned that he uses the music player, so I just told him about the cool things Android has for music playback. I'm honestly not even sure what you're getting mad about this time. But then again, getting mad is what you do.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone else seemed to think it was perfectly normal, and people even called out your weird response to my post. He specifically mentioned that he uses the music player, so I just told him about the cool things Android has for music playback. I'm honestly not even sure what you're getting mad about this time. But then again, getting mad is what you do.

I was going to comment about the "Master Race" crap, but didn't bother. Hate that shit in OT just as much as in the gaming side.

I was going to comment about the "Master Race" crap, but didn't bother. Hate that shit in OT just as much as in the gaming side.

Aw, the Master Race thing is always a joke these days, I didn't think anyone still took it seriously. I didn't mean it like that. I'm a PC and console gamer and I always have been, so the whole Master Race thing is just funny to me because I play on any gaming platform which offers me compelling content.

giga

I don't have any major issues with ie10 as a rendering engine. It's the crappy browser controls that I hate. As well as sites not serving the right mobile content.

bedlamite

For me, IE10 is just too barebones as a browser. Rendering speed is fine and all, but the gesture controls in Surfcube are great and a real improvement on IE's overly simple interface.

hadareud

The Translator
It's definitely too barebones.

I do miss the dolphin interface quite a bit.

From a rendering and speed perspective ie10 is more than just fine, it's very good.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm trying out surfcube, and it works nicely, but why can't it keep my tabs when I head to the home screen and then open it again?

It's definitely too barebones.

I do miss the dolphin interface quite a bit.

From a rendering and speed perspective ie10 is more than just fine, it's very good.

I just discovered dolphin on my Nexus 7 and it is better than Chrome.

I prefer IE10 on my laptop to the latest Chrome and Chrome on Android is terrible after the last update. I also don't mind IE10 on Windows Phone 8, I think it's fast and fluid. Microsoft also need to get off this IE version and just update them. Also tie the new version to the OS is pretty retard on their part so I have no sympathy for them for loosing marketshare.

MCD

According to the rumors, IE11 desktop will be out early next year which is a huge for MS slow updates.

IE11 mobile will surely follow.

Commodore

So after using Battery Level for WP8, Battery, and Battery Sense all at different times given their varied availability in Marketplace, I got to hand it to Battery Sense as the best battery tracking app in the Store. Has a solid design, WP8 centric data rich wide tiles, if that's your thing, and a nice data tracking section with a bunch of stats.

JimiNutz

Banned
I used to have this cool game called Tentacles on my Omnia 7. Tried to find it again on the marketplace and cant find it... Is it on available on WP8? (Lumia 920)

JimiNutz

Banned
Not available on Windows Phone 8, but it's on iOS, if that helps.

That's a shame.
I saw the thread over on gaming side about the new XBLA game coming out from the developers, Press Play, and got a real urge to play Tentacles.

Wonder why it doesnt work on WP8? Aren't they now an MS first party.

MNC

How oddball is the SDK for Windows Phone? I program in C# so the language isn't going to be the issue, but I'm wondering, like Android and Activities, how does Windows Phone work at its base?

Since Sprint is forcing me to wait until summer for a WP8 device I wonder what Samsung will offer after seeing the specs of the Galaxy S4. I think HTC will also offer one device but nothing from Nokia [which is a shame really].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom