• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
How oddball is the SDK for Windows Phone? I program in C# so the language isn't going to be the issue, but I'm wondering, like Android and Activities, how does Windows Phone work at its base?
AFAIK, nothing as complicated as activities. Xaml + c#. Check out some of the samples on msdn

Gannd

Banned
Are there any good tutorial videos for getting around WP8? I have been on Android for years but a few weeks ago I sold my Nexus 4 and picked up a Lumia 920 and I'm having a hell of a time getting used to it. App switching seems really confusing.

Are there any good tutorial videos for getting around WP8? I have been on Android for years but a few weeks ago I sold my Nexus 4 and picked up a Lumia 920 and I'm having a hell of a time getting used to it. App switching seems really confusing.

Are you referring to holding down back button to get to all your queued apps? Yeah its a bit less intuitive than android which has that dedicated button. Most of the OS should be intuitive though. It was designed to be simple

So yeah, after today I have a new found joy in how intuitive Windows Phone is. I was wandering Toronto with my family today and I was using Tellme a couple times every hour in the loud city landscape and inside of a vehicle with music blaring with a, surprisingly enough, a 100% success rate. I wasn't even using keywords either, I was just "Where is the nearest good restaurant in Toronto is" and I got a pretty good place nearby. Then right from that menu, I was able to select Drive (Note: I have never gotten this far in TellMe before because I only use it for messages and/or to find names of places nearby, never actually selecting a place) and then go directly into Nokia Drive all within 3 taps.

I'm just incredibly impressed from this. Just the fact that TellMe could recognize me in all the music and sound was amazing.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, is Google search fucked on all mobiles now or just Windows Phones? I tried to look for a video and when I clicked "More" to bring the relevant tabs up it just keeps looping. Loads Google App page then reloads over and over.

Googy Pls :(

daevv

My 3 year term just ran out on my iPhone and as I'm addicted to achievement hunting I'm thinking about getting a Windows phone. The one I have in mind is the Samsung ATIVs. Anyone have this one and what do you like/not like about it. Thx

kharma45

My 3 year term just ran out on my iPhone and as I'm addicted to achievement hunting I'm thinking about getting a Windows phone. The one I have in mind is the Samsung ATIVs. Anyone have this one and what do you like/not like about it. Thx

It's a good phone, basically the S3 with Windows Phone on it but if you're looking to switch go Nokia.

What was the significance there? I keep getting error code 500. Having no luck whatsoever.

Twitter won't sync for whatever reason if it's wrong, I don't know why though.

What Network Provider are you looking at? because if its at all possible, you should really be looking at a Nokia device. They tend to put alot of cash and man hours into bringing over developers to the platform (even to the point of making the apps for them) and often get timed exclusivity on Nokia Devices for a few months.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

If your looking to play games the Ativ would be good imo. Biggest screen, biggest battery.

derFeef

I think the ATIV is the most boring WP. If you want to make the full switch you should go Nokia, as it brings software benefits too.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think the ATIV is the most boring WP. If you want to make the full switch you should go Nokia, as it brings software benefits too.

Yup, they're doing a nice job bringing exclusive games and their other apps are really cool. PhotoBeamer continues to amaze my friends.

Though I'm biased as I'm heavily addicted to the Nokia exclusive Bejeweled Live+ (WHICH IS SO GOOD).

On that note, anyone else experiencing massive slowdown in the game? It'll start at a smooth 60 then drop down to sub 30 pretty fast :(

My HTC 8X felt on the ground today. Display is ruined. HTC wants about ~250€ to repair it. I was like wtf and I bought a new phone at my carrier for a cheaper price today. It is not a Windows Phone 8. :( Goddamnit. (It is a Galaxy SIII LTE) I will miss this device. Fuck this shit. Fuck HTC, Fuck T-Mobile for not recommending me their insurance plans.

derFeef

My HTC 8X felt on the ground today. Display is ruined. HTC wants about ~250€ to repair it. I was like wtf and I bought a new phone at my carrier for a cheaper price today. It is not a Windows Phone 8. :( Goddamnit. (It is a Galaxy SIII LTE) I will miss this device. Fuck this shit. Fuck HTC, Fuck T-Mobile for not recommending me their insurance plans.

I hope my 8X brakes too so I can buy a Nokia WP8 :p
But sucks man :(

I hope my 8X brakes too so I can buy a Nokia WP8 :p
But sucks man :(
I wanted to buy the Lumia 920, but unfortunately I couldn't justify to pay 200€ for the phone when I have already paid 200€ 5 months ago.

At least I'll have apps now. God damnit. But I will miss the OS so much. I love it. Screw the haters. Microsoft needs to push developers to release apps on their OS.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

How much was the S3? How much would another 8X have been?

kharma45

Am I LTTP with this? My Google Calendar has disappeared from my phone. If I go into settings it's still listed there but in the actual calendar itself it's blank.

I wanted to buy the Lumia 920, but unfortunately I couldn't justify to pay 200€ for the phone when I have already paid 200€ 5 months ago.

At least I'll have apps now. God damnit. But I will miss the OS so much. I love it. Screw the haters. Microsoft needs to push developers to release apps on their OS.

If WP users keep trading their Windows Phones for iPhones and Androids, then developers will never be there. Traitor.

How much was the S3? How much would another 8X have been?
HTC 8X would have costed 160€. The S3 LTE costed me 80€.

If WP users keep trading their Windows Phones for iPhones and Androids, then developers will never be there. Traitor.
DAMN! No guilt for me please. I support the Windows Phone platform since 2010 and I will still support it afterwards. If I manage to get a cheap Lumia 920 or Microsoft releases the rumored Surface Phone, I will throw my Galaxy S3 away and get back on board. But at this point, I have to save money to get the Surface Pro and a flight to Seattle.

Yes. I know only excuses.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
HTC 8X would have costed 160€. The S3 LTE costed me 80€.

DAMN! No guilt for me please. I support the Windows Phone platform since 2010 and I will still support it afterwards. If I manage to get a cheap Lumia 920 or Microsoft releases the rumored Surface Phone, I will throw my Galaxy S3 away and get back on board. But at this point, I have to save money to get the Surface Pro and a flight to Seattle.

Yes. I know only excuses.

Don't listen to brot. He folded last summer. Based on those costs, the S3 was a no-brainer.

daevv

Thanks for the suggestions folks!

I do indeed want the Nokia Lumia 920 but I'm in Canada and so far only Rogers carries it in my province and Rogers has zero coverage in my neck of the woods (Western Newfoundland). The next best, screen, storage, and battery wise is the Samsung ATIVs. Telus and Bell have pretty much the same plans so it'll be with one of them. Sucks I cannot pay some upfront and change it to a 1-2 year contract as they offer 3 year terms only.

dLMN8R

So there's the rumored Lumia 928 coming to Verizon soon, but other than that what other Lumias are currently on Verizon?

Are there any that actually have an HD screen or are they all the cheaper models with 800x480 screens?

You should ask T-Mobile if there are any local repair shops that can do the job for you.

My Lumia 920 had its screen break. I didn't have the AT&T insurance plan, so they wanted to charge me $500. Obviously there was no way in hell I was going to pay that much. They referred me to a local repair shop, and they got the job done for $150. Granted, it's not a perfect repair job (there's a speck of dust in the screen), but it's better than the alternative.

So there's the rumored Lumia 928 coming to Verizon soon, but other than that what other Lumias are currently on Verizon?

Are there any that actually have an HD screen or are they all the cheaper models with 800x480 screens?

Verizon WPs: 822, 8X, Samsung Odyssey

I do indeed want the Nokia Lumia 920 but I'm in Canada and so far only Rogers carries it in my province and Rogers has zero coverage in my neck of the woods (Western Newfoundland). The next best, screen, storage, and battery wise is the Samsung ATIVs. Telus and Bell have pretty much the same plans so it'll be with one of them. Sucks I cannot pay some upfront and change it to a 1-2 year contract as they offer 3 year terms only.

Ah, okay that explains it. I'm currently on Rogers in Ontario, and they are a bitch here, but in NFL I couldn't even imagine. In your case I would definitely get the ATIV considering it has an amazing battery life, decent screen and storage

Twitter won't sync for whatever reason if it's wrong, I don't know why though.
What a load of balls. I happened to read elsewhere that computers using the same Microsoft account could cause the issue if their time was off. But everything that uses that account's details is fine.

Oh well. That's another issue.

Did you decide to stick with the 620? or more to the point, would O2 not take it back?

Firestorm

If you're fine paying outright, you could buy a Lumia 920 on Rogers for full price and get it unlocked to use on Bell / Telus / Virgin / Koodo.

MCD

Can't wait for Onstogrom coming to Windows Phone.

Don't you mean Molome?

nXaixds.jpg

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Also, what does this Molonoma app do exactly?

Never heard of it.
http://store.ovi.com/content/113885

MOLOME
by: HLP

Privacy policy

Photo & video - 2.80 MB

MOLOME™ is a easy & fun way to share your journey of life. Grab your phone, snap photos or choose from Gallery, experience cool effects beyond creativity and share it with your friends or show it to the world via Social Network.

Latest version: 2.2.3 (November, 2012)

Release Notes:

v2.2.3
- Add 2 New Filters
- Add Campaign part for some country
- Fix wrong comment bug

It's Instagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom