• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkitT

Wow I just realized that mehdoh has vine viewing support in app, and its pretty amazing considering they dont really work in ie. Best twitter app!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hey, Windows Phone users. What settings do you use on your camera to get mostly-right results most of the time, saved?

Default. I only ever change if I need to do macro or turn on flash. Although, Nokia published some videos from a photographer lady talking about using the ISO settings and stuff. Check their official YouTube account.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
If you don't about games/apps that uses 1gigs of ram then I don't see any fault with it.
I pretty much use my iPad for games.

I was thinking of selling my current iPhone and sticking solely with WP until the next iPhone hits and making a decision then. Kind of a low risk test of WP.

What apps would I not be able to run on 512mb RAM?

catmincer

I pretty much use my iPad for games.

I was thinking of selling my current iPhone and sticking solely with WP until the next iPhone hits and making a decision then. Kind of a low risk test of WP.

What apps would I not be able to run on 512mb RAM?

Skype I think uhhhhh that's all?

daevv

Is there many game/app sales in the store? Kinda like the deal of the week on Xbox? I have bought a few games already and have more I want but may hold off incase of a sale or two.

MCD

So I am new to this Xbox/Zune music and I just wanted d to support and buy videogames music but in the WP8 store, I don't see any way to filter by videogames?

And when searching for say, Final Fantasy, I get random music all over the place.

frontieruk

So I am new to this Xbox/Zune music and I just wanted d to support and buy videogames music but in the WP8 store, I don't see any way to filter by videogames?

And when searching for say, Final Fantasy, I get random music all over the place.

If its like wp7 which I remember it being you need to swipe across to applications.

eastx

The amount of RAM a WP phone has determines how much RAM games and applications can use on it. A 1 GB phone gives games twice as much RAM to work with than a 512 MB phone, hence graphically complex 3D games will often require 1 GB.

Is there many game/app sales in the store? Kinda like the deal of the week on Xbox? I have bought a few games already and have more I want but may hold off incase of a sale or two.

There was an Xbox WP Deal of the Week program, but they put it on hold at the end of 2012. Microsoft plans to resume it within the first half of this year, but they haven't been more specific than that.

Alright so I want to get a Lumia 920, but I really, really don't want to pay the $700 RRP for the phone in Australia, nor am I interested in a contract. So I'm investigating my options on Ebay.

The first is a "used" phone that the seller says is in good condition. They have 100+ feedback and have sold several phones before, so I wouldn't feel super-worried buying that, I don't think. But new is always better. The other option is a bit more expensive, a new 920 from Hong Kong. There are ones listed as from Australia for slightly more, but they come with "Australian chargers" and have similar descriptions leading me to believe they're coming from Hong Kong anyway.

Would I have any problems with buying a phone from HK and putting an Australian SIM card in it? I don't *really* mind a lightly used phone, but I would pony up the 560 for the New one if there weren't going to be any region problems.

The next question is that I see people with sexy Cyan lumias, but I don't see these represented on Ebay. Are they just rare/not in Australia? Or are they just a face plate type deal you attach?

Alright so I want to get a Lumia 920, but I really, really don't want to pay the $700 RRP for the phone in Australia, nor am I interested in a contract. So I'm investigating my options on Ebay.

The first is a "used" phone that the seller says is in good condition. They have 100+ feedback and have sold several phones before, so I wouldn't feel super-worried buying that, I don't think. But new is always better. The other option is a bit more expensive, a new 920 from Hong Kong. There are ones listed as from Australia for slightly more, but they come with "Australian chargers" and have similar descriptions leading me to believe they're coming from Hong Kong anyway.

Would I have any problems with buying a phone from HK and putting an Australian SIM card in it? I don't *really* mind a lightly used phone, but I would pony up the 560 for the New one if there weren't going to be any region problems.

The next question is that I see people with sexy Cyan lumias, but I don't see these represented on Ebay. Are they just rare/not in Australia? Or are they just a face plate type deal you attach?

AFAIK, cyan is pretty rare everywhere. I don't know enough to answer the rest of your question, but wouldn't a Lumia 920 from Hong Kong be the 920T with the faster processor? That might be an issue

I have no idea about anything like that, which is why I'm coming to this thread.

I am pretty sure the 920T is just for Chinese market (so that would include Hong Kong) but HK always get all sort of stuff so you probably best to ask seller for sure. My brother who lives in Thailand has an international version of 920 which lack the LTE but it is not the 920T.

Cyan was exclusive to At&t (and Microsoft store) but news said it will be available elsewhere soon.

With the apparently slow sinking of HMS Blackberry (formerly known as HMS RIM), if Microsoft could release Instagram on Monday then may be there is yet hope for them to secure the tiny last place. I just want to say I love my Amiga dearly but eventually I succumb to the alluring of all the "apps" that were on PC. The most glaring problem really for the OS is the lack of apps (games included), the other stuffs could be fix if they don't reset the OS again this fall.

hadareud

The Translator
I doubt that Instagram is coming out tomorrow. Maybe in May.

I think that the app situation is improving quite a bit though. Maybe not as quickly as we'd like, but steadily. The death of Blackberry together with steady growth of the platform should speed things up by the end of the year imo.

catmincer

Dude, buy one in New Zealand. You can get them for 750nz which would be really cheap.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I doubt that Instagram is coming out tomorrow. Maybe in May.

I think that the app situation is improving quite a bit though. Maybe not as quickly as we'd like, but steadily. The death of Blackberry together with steady growth of the platform should speed things up by the end of the year imo.

Death of Blackberry? Aren't they just about to launch their saviour platform...?

Death of Blackberry? Aren't they just about to launch their saviour platform...?

They did on Friday and initial reception was pretty "meh", not that Microsoft did any better but at least Microsoft has deep pocket to keep chucking along at least until Windows Blue.

Now that tablet with stylus is in again, may be they should just do Windows 8 Mobile. :p

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
So I have am having problems with my Lumia 920. Every sof often the screen will just become unresponsive as if the touchscreen has stopped working. Sometimes it will come back to life by just locking and unlocking the phone a few times or I will have to soft reset the phone a few times.

I have already sent this phone back to Nokia and they claimed to have fixed it but I still get the same problem. I guess I am asking could this be a software issue instead of a hardware issue? Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

I am tempted to flash my phone via navifirm to the latest update to see if that may fix it but I am unsure :(

hadareud

The Translator
So I have am having problems with my Lumia 920. Every sof often the screen will just become unresponsive as if the touchscreen has stopped working. Sometimes it will come back to life by just locking and unlocking the phone a few times or I will have to soft reset the phone a few times.

I have already sent this phone back to Nokia and they claimed to have fixed it but I still get the same problem. I guess I am asking could this be a software issue instead of a hardware issue? Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

I am tempted to flash my phone via navifirm to the latest update to see if that may fix it but I am unsure :(

I'd give it a go, but I think it's probably the HW.

On my web stats I can see a notable blip on the BB usage decline, where it's stabilised slightly and the rate of decline has fallen. But WP's increase hasn't been dented.

What's your site?

Gamble

I don't think the apps are going to be less limited with the 928...

unless you are implying that Nokia's exclusive apps are better than the rest of the apps in the store. Then I guess it's an opinion thing.

Not so much the implication of that just at the time I think it was more of me being fanboyish and afraid of stepping out of the Android comfort zone I've been in for so long, when I really think about it though there aren't too many apps that I use as it is I think the only one that is not available on WP8 that I use is instagram.

And after looking at the market for WP8 I have found an app to replace everything I currently use on my GS3 so if I had the opportunity to I would trade my GS3 for an 8x or 928 in a heartbeat BBUUUTTTT I have to wait until I can upgrade instead :-(

Walshicus

Too bad your site never reflects the market share. ;)

No, we massively over-index on Apple. Like, 90% ratio of iPad to other tablets; 75% iPhone to other phones...

Our trends generally match the market though. We saw the same big jump in Android tablet use on Xmas day that most sites saw; we saw the same tumbling of Blackberry that most sites have seen; and similarly we're seeing the same ~+100% YoY growth for WP that others are seeing.

venne

I like what I'm seeing with Windows Blue and am glad Microsoft is making the OS more like Windows Phone with multiple tile sizes and the ability to quickly get to the apps list with a swipe.

That and it looks like you can do an all black background, which is welcome.

I wonder how much Windows Phone will change with the Blue update or will it be mainly IE 11 and under the hood stuff.

I like what I'm seeing with Windows Blue and am glad Microsoft is making the OS more like Windows Phone with multiple tile sizes and the ability to quickly get to the apps list with a swipe.

That and it looks like you can do an all black background, which is welcome.

I wonder how much Windows Phone will change with the Blue update or will it be mainly IE 11 and under the hood stuff.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom