• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pulled the trigger on a 920, slightly used. Fingers crossed.

I also bought a cyan case (since cyan wasn't available for purchase in Aus...), but accidentally bought it for the Lumia 820, so I had to then buy another one for 920. Sigh. Phone should arrive in a week or so.

Congrats! I think.

hadareud

The Translator

I also bought a cyan case (since cyan wasn't available for purchase in Aus...), but accidentally bought it for the Lumia 820, so I had to then buy another one for 920. Sigh. Phone should arrive in a week or so.

Welcome to the club!

Have you used it yet? Just wait until you find out that there's no apps.

Is there any chance of WP getting a Steam app?

It's the only one I really give a shit about. And I suppose the skype app actually working in the background properly would be nice too...

Oh, and seamless audio track transitions in windows media player. Why on EARTH isn't that a thing? WHY DO I WANT A PAUSE BETWEEN TRACKS?

Oh well, I bought a Sansa Clip+ and a 32GB Micro SD card a few months back to handle my music, so that last point is moot.

Is there any chance of WP getting a Steam app?

It's the only one I really give a shit about. And I suppose the skype app actually working in the background properly would be nice too...

Oh, and seamless audio track transitions in windows media player. Why on EARTH isn't that a thing? WHY DO I WANT A PAUSE BETWEEN TRACKS?

Oh well, I bought a Sansa Clip+ and a 32GB Micro SD card a few months back to handle my music, so that last point is moot.

Steam is entirely up to Valve. The app on Android is an awful experience and lazy on top of it. There's basically no reason why they couldn't offer this HTML5-experience on Windows Phone. Be in with an app or in the browser.

Gamble

Steam is entirely up to Valve. The app on Android is an awful experience and lazy on top of it. There's basically no reason why they couldn't offer this HTML5-experience on Windows Phone. Be in with an app or in the browser.

Thought I was the only one who felt this way

Gamble

So jealous :-( I'm currently on Verizon I will be switching to T-Mobile this weekend and getting the 8x I would so love to play around with the 920 so maybe I can get an unlocked one on the cheap and use it on T-Mobile later on down the road

Zeknurn

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4148200/windows-phone-8-update-fm-radio-support

• FM Radio support

Sounds like a complete feature list for a WP update.

Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 owners will be able to double-tap the screen to wake the device from standby. Other firmware specific improvements from Nokia include a flip to silence option, and Lumia color profile settings for the device screen. We're told that the update, which is minor, will be made available over the coming months.

Sounds far more interesting than FM Radio Support.

hadareud

The Translator
Sounds far more interesting than FM Radio Support.

Would be nice if they also included an equivalent to the unlock pattern on Android.

The pin needs to go.

Fjolle

I would love flip to silence, hopefully it will also enable turning vibrating off when you put it face down, since I find it very annoying to turn off my vibration every time I go to sleep.

Thats not how it works. It only silences the current call.

OTOH the rumor yesterday was that a do not disturb feature would be in WP Blue.

hadareud

The Translator
Having quickly "researched" my pin code assertion, it turns out that my hunch was correct.

Practically one in 5 pin codes is either:

#1 1234 10.71%
#2 1111 6.02%
#3 0000 1.88%
#4 1212 1.20%

So you can unlock 1 in 5 phones simply by using those codes. Not really very secure at all.

I work in IT security and one of the things that has become very evident to me over the years is what I said above: the more restrictive your security methods are, the more likely they are to be circumvented, making them absolutely useless.

Interesting article: http://www.datagenetics.com/blog/september32012/

Gamble

Perhaps, but pattern is a lot more convenient.

You can have the most secure features, but if they are enough of a pain to use that most people won't bother* then they're actually more insecure.

edit: *or use ridiculously easy pins

my issue with patterns is that after I get done I forget to wipe the screen so my friends would trace my smudge patterns and figure out the unlock code and then begin posting foolishness to my FB page

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I got a 620 today.

I'm lost. The updates shit is weird. There's the main update in settings, then a bunch of weird add-on app updates that don't seem to happen automatically.

App selection is already proving pretty barebones. There is a heck of a lot of low budget shit on there.

I got a 620 today.

I'm lost. The updates shit is weird. There's the main update in settings, then a bunch of weird add-on app updates that don't seem to happen automatically.

App selection is already proving pretty barebones. There is a heck of a lot of low budget shit on there.

It would help if you could be a bit more specific. I don't know what you mean by "updates shit".

derFeef

I got a 620 today.

Apps are updated through the Marketplace (number on tile if available), the phone is updated through the Update Phone thing in settings.

PG2G

Thank god. Google Reader alternative: FOUND. Well, unless Nextgen Reader comes up with their own solution...I get the feeling that Nextgen would give more direct WP8/W8 support, rather than Feedly.

Hopefully Nextgen Reader just supports the Feedly back end, we'll see.

Having quickly "researched" my pin code assertion, it turns out that my hunch was correct.

#1 1234 10.71%
#2 1111 6.02%
#3 0000 1.88%
#4 1212 1.20%

So you can unlock 1 in 5 phones simply by using those codes. Not really very secure at all.

I work in IT security and one of the things that has become very evident to me over the years is what I said above: the more restrictive your security methods are, the more likely they are to be circumvented, making them absolutely useless.

We have a lot of research surrounding privacy and security floating around the office, pinlock seems to be regarded as most secure.

What surprises me with pinlock is that easy combinations aren't a higher percentage.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
We have a lot of research surrounding privacy and security floating around the office, pinlock seems to be regarded as most secure.

What surprises me with pinlock is that easy combinations aren't a higher percentage.

how many people use the year they were born? because I sure don't.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

#1 1234 10.71%
#2 1111 6.02%
#3 0000 1.88%
#4 1212 1.20%

you could probably say the same thing about normal passwords. The most used passwords are still something like "password" or "123456".

ElNino

Thank god. Google Reader alternative: FOUND. Well, unless Nextgen Reader comes up with their own solution...I get the feeling that Nextgen would give more direct WP8/W8 support, rather than Feedly.
I'm glad that I stopped using Google and went to Weave completely a while ago.

hadareud

The Translator
you could probably say the same thing about normal passwords. The most used passwords are still something like "password" or "123456".

Yes, absolutely.

It is probably the most secure, but there should be a more convenient solution. Something like pattern or biometrics.

#1 1234 10.71%
#2 1111 6.02%
#3 0000 1.88%
#4 1212 1.20%

i don't have a study, but i'm gonna guess the most common pattern locks are L shaped...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Plants vs. Zombies hasn't been updates in forever, does it run well on Apollo phones? That's the one I'd buy.

I haven't actually tried on my 920. I will give it a go later.

Edit: Seem to play fine. Even though it is not HD the art style holds up well on an HD screen.

PG2G

Build 2013 announced for June 26th. Probably when we'll get a good chunk of info on Windows Phone Blue.

Hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom