• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta say, this whole Lumia thing is getting confusing.

520vkd6x.png

7207mlep.png

I gotta say, this whole Lumia thing is getting confusing.

I pretty sure I echo this same sentiment before. I don't get all type of phones that are essentially the same. It's like Nokia still stuck in the last decade. All other company has pretty much follow Apple model of releasing only few phones. It seems like they are just throwing all the Lumia on their drawing board at the market and see what stick.

I just don't see reason behind 520 and 720 when there are already 620 and 820. They should just work with volume and get the cost down instead of making more phones of different body. 820 should have been 920 but without the OIS camera.

If the One has wireless charging I probably would have jump ship. At this point I will just wait for fall and see what Nokia has coming out.

I pretty sure I echo this same sentiment before. I don't get all type of phones that are essentially the same. It's like Nokia still stuck in the last decade. All other company has pretty much follow Apple model of releasing only few phones. It seems like they are just throwing all the Lumia on their drawing board at the market and see what stick.

I just don't see reason behind 520 and 720 when there are already 620 and 820. They should just work with volume and get the cost down instead of making more phones of different body. 820 should have been 920 but without the OIS camera.

If the One has wireless charging I probably would have jump ship. At this point I will just wait for fall and see what Nokia has coming out.

Come on now, if anything, Samsung has adapted Nokia's strategy. Have you seen the whole Galaxy line-up? It's not just the S II, S III and now S 4.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, i don't mind Nokia's strategy. They are doing a good job of fleshing out different phones for different markets, with some overlap on certain markets. There is no overlap in the US, which is why I don't really mind I guess, and they seem to be doing well in India and China.

Yeah, i don't mind Nokia's strategy. They are doing a good job of fleshing out different phones for different markets, with some overlap on certain markets. There is no overlap in the US, which is why I don't really mind I guess, and they seem to be doing well in India and China.

Oh no, I forgot the T-Mobile Lumia 521. Thanks for reminding me ...

hadareud

The Translator

Good time to mention that Windows Phone is number 2 in India: http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-windows-phone-is-now-no-2-mobile-os-in-india/

I think Nokia is doing a good job releasing mid and low range models in those sort of countries. It's not that small a market either, 5.4 million smartphones sold in Q4 2012 in total.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the 620 was their biggest seller in Europe in this quarter for what it's worth.

Ragus

Banned
Shit, I didn't know that selling a 920 in Poland would be such a pain in the ass. 11 days since I've made an auction, and up to this day I didn't get one offer or any kind of email. Quite strange, since I'm selling it dirty cheap, and I'm adding wireless charger and 2 official cases to it.

Maybe I'll put Apple sticker on the back, so that it will actually sell.

Come on now, if anything, Samsung has adapted Nokia's strategy. Have you seen the whole Galaxy line-up? It's not just the S II, S III and now S 4.
Sometime it's hard to tell when you are being serious...

Nokia have that Windows 7 phone (510?) 520, 620, 720, 820 and 920 not to mention the variants all in different shell, the 810 and the 922. I am sure more variations incoming for Sprint.

hadareud

The Translator
If Nokia wouldn't release Windows Phones for every market segment, nobody else would.

Not so sure about the carrier specific stuff, but in general I don't think it's a bad strategy to cover all bases.

Sometime it's hard to tell when you are being serious...

Nokia have that Windows 7 phone (510?) 520, 620, 720, 820 and 920 not to mention the variants all in different shell, the 810 and the 922. I am sure more variations incoming for Sprint.

Since I don't know what you're talking about (what is a Windows 7 phone?), here's the Samsung Galaxy line-up since 2012:

Galaxy Y Pro DUOS
Galaxy Ace Plus
Galaxy Ace II
Galaxy Mini 2
Galaxy Beam
Galaxy Pocket
Galaxy S Advance
Galaxy S III
Galaxy Appeal
Galaxy S III mini
Galaxy Ch@t
Galaxy Stellar
Galaxy S Duos
Galaxy Victory 4G
Galaxy Reverb
Galaxy Rush
Galaxy Express
Galaxy Rugby Pro
Galaxy S III Mini
Galaxy S II Plus
Galaxy Grand
Galaxy S 4
Galaxy Fame
Galaxy S 4 mini (already leaked)

All of them are Samsung Galaxy phones, running various versions of Android and not some Bada or Tizen or whatever, all available at different carriers, different markets, at different price points and are at some point very similar to each other. Who's not being serious now?

Since I don't know what you're talking about (what is a Windows 7 phone?), here's the Samsung Galaxy line-up since 2012:

All of them are Samsung Galaxy phones, running various versions of Android and not some Bada or Tizen or whatever, all available at different carriers, different markets, at different price points and are at some point very similar to each other. Who's not being serious now?

Win7phone.jpg

daevv

My new Samsung ATIVs seems to overheat and the battery usage goes way up when I play Civilization Revolution. Cools right off when after I quit the game. Weird.

Troll

Banned
Antiquegamer's first language isn't English guys. So you can poke fun at his mistake but I'm pretty sure that he isn't going to fully understand it.

Antiquegamer's first language isn't English guys. So you can poke fun at his mistake but I'm pretty sure that he isn't going to fully understand it.

I seriously didn't know what he meant, because Nokia did release a bunch of cheap phones with Windows Phone 7 (like the Lumia 505 in Mexico), but the ones he listed aren't any of them (except for the Lumia 510, which only added more to the confusion).

Galaxy Y Pro DUOS
Galaxy Ace Plus
Galaxy Ace II
Galaxy Mini 2
Galaxy Beam
Galaxy Pocket
Galaxy S Advance
Galaxy S III
Galaxy Appeal
Galaxy S III mini
Galaxy Ch@t
Galaxy Stellar
Galaxy S Duos
Galaxy Victory 4G
Galaxy Reverb
Galaxy Rush
Galaxy Express
Galaxy Rugby Pro
Galaxy S III Mini
Galaxy S II Plus
Galaxy Grand
Galaxy S 4
Galaxy Fame

you didn't mention the Galaxy Note II :(

or the Galaxy Stratosphere II, Galaxy Pop, Galaxy Premier... there are probably more too...

i think you can make calls from the Galaxy Camera...

thirty

Banned
My GF needed a new provider which was gonna give her the best deal for international calls so she's going with Straight Talk ($60). Would have liked to buy her a new T-Mobile Lumia 520 but it isn't out yet so she's agreeing to use my old HD7, hopefully it holds up. I did buy her an extended battery with matching hump door thingy for those days where she makes long calls. I deleted the phone and prepped it for her. Amazing how well WP7.5 has aged, still smooth but the screen is definitely a downgrade from my Lumia 920.

Seriously though, carriers love Android cuz the phones go to shit after 12-18 months and their customers are shortly back to buy new phones. WP devices continue to run smooth well after the OS isn't supported. My 2010 HD7 powered by Zune lives on!!!

Galaxy Y Pro DUOS
Galaxy Ace Plus
Galaxy Ace II
Galaxy Mini 2
Galaxy Beam
Galaxy Pocket
Galaxy S Advance
Galaxy S III
Galaxy Appeal
Galaxy S III mini
Galaxy Ch@t
Galaxy Stellar
Galaxy S Duos
Galaxy Victory 4G
Galaxy Reverb
Galaxy Rush
Galaxy Express
Galaxy Rugby Pro
Galaxy S III Mini
Galaxy S II Plus
Galaxy Grand
Galaxy S 4
Galaxy Fame

I stand corrected, that is a lot of Galaxy Phone. :0

I guess HTC is the only fool that follow Apple.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Screw Xbox music, I'm done with that crap! I'm using my wife's old Lumia 900 for podcasts and music.......SO GOOD.

Xbox music built in podcast support is awful. Forgets its place, takes way too long to get new episodes, keeps downloading episodes I already listened to etc. I rather just queue it up on Zune and then sync via cable or wirelessly. Also, being able to create playlists on Zune (which includes ZunePass songs) and sync them to a device is something that I missed badly.

It's pretty embarrassing that I have to resort to using the old version of the OS because they completely broke everything in the new version. Screw you Microsoft, Zune was awesome and you idiots killed it!

thirty

Banned
T-Mobile is having a launch event tomorrow to introduce their new plans, iPhone, and more than likely the Lumia 520. I wonder if we get a glimpse of the rumored 920 variation, the Catwalk.

Screw Xbox music, I'm done with that crap! I'm using my wife's old Lumia 900 for podcasts and music.......SO GOOD.

Xbox music built in podcast support is awful. Forgets its place, takes way too long to get new episodes, keeps downloading episodes I already listened to etc. I rather just queue it up on Zune and then sync via cable or wirelessly. Also, being able to create playlists on Zune (which includes ZunePass songs) and sync them to a device is something that I missed badly.

It's pretty embarrassing that I have to resort to using the old version of the OS because they completely broke everything in the new version. Screw you Microsoft, Zune was awesome and you idiots killed it!

And the volume crapping out on MP3s after a while. Just embarrassing that this beta-tier has been going on since November.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have gotten used to using Xbox Music and using Podcast Lounge for podcasts, but the abandoning of the Zune software for WP8 still boggles my mind.

And the volume crapping out on MP3s after a while. Just embarrassing that this beta-tier has been going on since November.
This is most annoying, I would have to reboot. Also I would get error message on podcast and sometime download podcast would be corrupt and I would end up having to stream it at work.

maeh2k

Shit, I didn't know that selling a 920 in Poland would be such a pain in the ass. 11 days since I've made an auction, and up to this day I didn't get one offer or any kind of email. Quite strange, since I'm selling it dirty cheap, and I'm adding wireless charger and 2 official cases to it.

Maybe I'll put Apple sticker on the back, so that it will actually sell.

How cheap are we talking? Maybe you should expand your offer beyond Poland. Looks like there are a decent number of offers for 920s in the German ebay.

Not really familiar with Poland, so I don't know if there's be any issues like different power plugs or anything with the carriers that would make it difficult to use it anywhere else in Europe.

Galaxy Y Pro DUOS
Galaxy Ace Plus
Galaxy Ace II
Galaxy Mini 2
Galaxy Beam
Galaxy Pocket
Galaxy S Advance
Galaxy S III
Galaxy Appeal
Galaxy S III mini
Galaxy Ch@t
Galaxy Stellar
Galaxy S Duos
Galaxy Victory 4G
Galaxy Reverb
Galaxy Rush
Galaxy Express
Galaxy Rugby Pro
Galaxy S III Mini
Galaxy S II Plus
Galaxy Grand
Galaxy S 4
Galaxy Fame

Samsung sells phones in over 200 countries. Most of these devices are region-specific or even country-specific. No one person in one country would ever encounter even a fraction of these Galaxies. Outside of the Galaxy S and Note series (WHICH I MIGHT ADD YOU FAILED TO LIST, YOUR PUNISHMENT WILL BE MORE SEVERE), none of the other devices are available worldwide or even in more than one region of the world. Also, you listed the Galaxy S III Mini twice. And you missed the recent new Galaxy with my favorite name so far: the Galaxy Xcover 2.

I have to say, the gaming side reminds me a lot of the previous thread, before the OS 8 launch.

So much anxiety, impatience, speculation, negativity and small glimmers of hope. It's a joy to read.

Firestorm

Samsung sells phones in over 200 countries. Most of these devices are region-specific or even country-specific. No one person in one country would ever encounter even a fraction of these Galaxies. Outside of the Galaxy S and Note series (WHICH I MIGHT ADD YOU FAILED TO LIST, YOUR PUNISHMENT WILL BE MORE SEVERE), none of the other devices are available worldwide or even in more than one region of the world. Also, you listed the Galaxy S III Mini twice. And you missed the recent new Galaxy with my favorite name so far: the Galaxy Xcover 2.

Samsung's current smartphone portfolio in Canada: http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/smartphones

Fjolle

Really? Where i live (very small market) we have:

Galaxy SIII (and a 4G version)
Galaxy Note II
Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy S
Galaxy Note
Galaxy SII
Galaxy S+
Galaxy XCover 2
Galaxy S Duos
Galaxy SIII Mini
Galaxy W
Galaxy S Advance
Galaxy Ace II
Galaxy Ace +
Galaxy XCover
Galaxy Gio
Galaxy Y Duos
Galaxy Mini 2
Galaxy Spica
Galaxy Ace
Galaxy Pocket
Galaxy Mini
Galaxy 5
Galaxy Y

What are we even discussing?

Jeeeezus. Okay, well we have a much smaller selection in the US due to carrier meddling. I didn't know it was like that in other countries.

You guys are mean to him! You know exactly that the world outside the US doesn't count!

The world outside the US doesn't have LTE coverage over the entire country anyways.

f0lken

Here in Mexico we have

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2
Samsung Galaxy Young
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE
Samsung Galaxy S3 mini
Samsung Galaxy Advance
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy Y Duos
Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE
Samsung Galaxy Mini 2
Samsung Galaxy Y Pro
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Samsung Galaxy Fit
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy Pro
Samsung Galaxy Note

And we have LTE in half the country now

Here in Mexico we have

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2
Samsung Galaxy Young
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE
Samsung Galaxy S3 mini
Samsung Galaxy Advance
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy Y Duos
Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE
Samsung Galaxy Mini 2
Samsung Galaxy Y Pro
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Samsung Galaxy Fit
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy Pro
Samsung Galaxy Note

And we have LTE in half the country now

Well okay, that list contains multiple generations of Galaxy S and Note. It's not that big a list if you actually cull the old versions of the same line. Wherever he is, Fjolle's list is way more impressive.

Fjolle

Well okay, that list contains multiple generations of Galaxy S and Note. It's not that big a list if you actually cull the old versions of the same line. Wherever he is, Fjolle's list is way more impressive.

Denmark. Because carriers can't force you into more than a six month contract, people here are buying loads of their phones unlocked, which i guess limits the carriers control of which phones are available. Or they just doesn't care.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Why would you cull old versions when they are still being sold? Galaxy SII is still actively sold here in the UK as a free phone on contracts and mid-range prepay phone.

Those old versions are all part of Samsung's strategy. It's like culling the iPhone 4 and 4S even though they both still exist to reach different segments of the market.

Why would you cull old versions when they are still being sold? Galaxy SII is still actively sold here in the UK as a free phone on contracts and mid-range prepay phone.

Those old versions are all part of Samsung's strategy. It's like culling the iPhone 4 and 4S even though they both still exist to reach different segments of the market.

well, to be fair, the first list was just phones since 2012, so counting old phones is kind of goalpost shifting. and also unnecessary, since even if you count just 2012 and 2013 releases for the US, it's still a decent sized list...

Galaxy Note II
Galaxy Note (i list this here because the T-Mobile version released in 2012)
Galaxy S III (HSPA+)
Galaxy S III (LTE) [i list this twice because T-Mobile is receiving an LTE model, that's two distinct S III models!]
Galaxy S IV
Galaxy Admire
Galaxy Appeal
Galaxy Attain
Galaxy Axiom
Galaxy Discover
Galaxy Exhilarate
Galaxy Metrix 4G
Galaxy Nexus (Sprint version released in ... 2012)
Galaxy Proclaim
Galaxy Rush
Galaxy Reverb
Galaxy S Aviator (rebranded Droid Charge on another carrier? yes. released in 2012? also yes.)
Galaxy S Blaze 4G
Galaxy S II 4G (some people would say 'but wait, it's the same hardware as the Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch' but hey, different name and the radios are different and it's a CDMA locked device, so different model)
Galaxy S Relay 4G
Galaxy Stellar
Galaxy Stratosphere II (which is funny because the first Stratosphere didn't have 'Galaxy' in front)
Galaxy Victory 4G LTE

and i didn't even include the phones that don't have 'Galaxy' in the name... or the Note 3 since it's not announced...

Just pulled the trigger on a 920, slightly used. Fingers crossed.

I also bought a cyan case (since cyan wasn't available for purchase in Aus...), but accidentally bought it for the Lumia 820, so I had to then buy another one for 920. Sigh. Phone should arrive in a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom