• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
WP doesn't have apps or games.

At this point the only phone apps I really miss are a good SIP app like Bria and then the ubiquitous Instagram. I am lucky to have an old iPad2 which I have with me most of the time so for mobile HBO watching or if I really need an app, I can download it over LTE tether and be up and running in minutes.

well you keep promising us our first app, but like Belfiore you let us down :(

It's happening. It looks like garbage though right now. My grand plans of making an azure-backed/synced mobile phone/W8/Web App are a little too grandiose for V1.

For now the plan is to have local storage on V1, and maybe I'll be able to sneak in a Skydrive 'BACKUPHISTORY' so that you can look at everything the app was storing about you.

My proposed app in general frightens me from a privacy perspective if someone with lesser intentions was writing it, or if the cloud backing was not secure enough. These worries are what prevented me from continuing on it a while back. I decided that Cloud stuff can be implemented later, so it shouldn't roadblock a basic v1 app. It especially shouldn't roadblock because no one is going to use the app in the first place--so why bother with implementing features that could cause privacy concerns to the few users that use it in the first place.

Opening Screen. Some Debug stuff at the bottom there...
LTdcV3c.png

Adding a new note. You can select anyone from your 'contacts'

GiTFIlp.png

Edit your note afterwards. See the location it was taken at the top as well as the time it was created.

zkh58Rc.png

Clicking 'Map' will take you to the location where the note was created

JwSnJo8.png

Clicking 'Day Log' will take you to the collection of information about that day

tGN3GAG.png

Click on the Map in the 'Day Log' to see a best guess (based on your collected information) of your route on that day

ATY5eHk.png

This details the parts of your day that you've logged, either photos or notes. This notes bit is completely not final, just demonstrating data gathered. It's really ugly and beta!

ZRlPkRp.png

Here are the photos. I'm probably going to split them up into two different panorama lists rather than one. I liked it at first, but it's not as awesome now:

GyB6JJ4.png

Tap on a photo and you get the photo in full screen:

hyN844F.jpg

The list of people associated with content in your day:

fkxpRkd.png

As I said, a lot of the hooks are in place now. There are still tons of bugs and aesthetics to clean up.

Oh, and on the map view, I want to embed notes/pictures into the map...I'm really hoping to get something along those lines into the application--but I haven't really looked into it yet.

frontieruk

It's happening. It looks like garbage though right now. My grand plans of making an azure-backed/synced mobile phone/W8/Web App are a little too grandiose for V1.

For now the plan is to have local storage on V1, and maybe I'll be able to sneak in a Skydrive 'BACKUPHISTORY' so that you can look at everything the app was storing about you.

My proposed app in general frightens me from a privacy perspective if someone with lesser intentions was writing it, or if the cloud backing was not secure enough. These worries are what prevented me from continuing on it a while back. I decided that Cloud stuff can be implemented later, so it shouldn't roadblock a basic v1 app. It especially shouldn't roadblock because no one is going to use the app in the first place--so why bother with implementing features that could cause privacy concerns to the few users that use it in the first place.

Oh, and on the map view, I want to embed notes/pictures into the map...I'm really hoping to get something along those lines into the application--but I haven't really looked into it yet.

so indefinitely delayed? :( Such is the life of a WP user ;)

Seriously though it's looking good, wouldn't getting images on the map be a pull of the location data in the images EXIF? I've seen similar apps on the marketplace which do that.

Troll

Banned

That looks nice. If you need help with beta testers I'm sure people on here (like me) wouldn't mind helping out!

If you need help designing the app ...

I'll happily let you beta-test it once it's out in the marketplace ;).

Also, one night of fit-and-finish has made it look and feel infinitely better.

hadareud

The Translator
I dropped my 920 on the floor in my bathroom this morning from about shoulder height. Glass first.

No scratches or any other damage. Really really lucky. Thank fuck for that.

Amazingly, the tile it fell on was fine too.

Pepto

Banned
Is there a good podcast app for wp8?

Now I have to boot my phone and reset my sync settings every time to get the pos windows 7 sync app to sync my podcasts from the computer to the phone and even after doing that some podcasts randomly don't always appear on the phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I dropped my 920 on the floor in my bathroom this morning from about shoulder height. Glass first.

No scratches or any other damage. Really really lucky. Thank fuck for that.

Amazingly, the tile it fell on was fine too.

You don't know how lucky you are. My glass shattered from a shorter fall to ceramic tile.

I can't say that I'm pleased with this news at all. It's quite deceptive to just change the casing on hardware and call it a brand new device in the case of the Ativ. It's still old hardware. Mid level devices are fine as well but I have no interest in such a device. Sprint will again release underwhelming hardware and then complain about poor sales.

Hopefully they will get off their high horse and soon have some Nokia devices.

Only because I'm sick to death of the Arrive I may upgrade to the Ativ and then pass that on to my wife when new hardware arrives [again if ever].

hadareud

The Translator
You don't know how lucky you are. My glass shattered from a shorter fall to ceramic tile.

I remember the pictures.

The sound it made when it landed wasn't good, it fell completely flat on the screen. I was shitting myself and was amazed to see that there wasn't even a scratch when I picked it up.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I honestly think you'd be very happy with the Ativ S. Its a huge upgrade from the Arrive and has features that the 920 doesn't, like removable battery and SD card expansion. I could live with that phone if that's what at&t offered instead of the 920.

Now of course you are correct that it'll be much more outdated by the time you get it, but if you can upgrade again then I would probably do the same as you.

I remember the pictures.

I'm using that phone now, it cost $185 to fix, which I think is reasonable and its working well. I spent $1085 on Nokia hardware last year, two 920's plus the repair. I'm not doing that again, but it does mean that I have two upgrades this year, so I'll get two top of the line devices for less than the cost of one off contract 920. I can't wait to see what phones are released this fall. November will be my Christmas. :D

MCD

The HTC 8X is a killer looking phone and a joy to hold.

But, I find the 8S to be the best looking WP to date because it reminds me of the sexy Zune HD. Shame about the low specs.

hadareud

The Translator
What's up with all these apps and games being released.

Considering switching to Blackberry. There's too little to whinge like a drain about these days on Windows Phone.

Just joking.

This will do nothing to stop the moaning.

Everdred

I recently switched from the Samsung Focus (7.8) to the Nexus 4.

A few days ago I received my Nexus 4, I wanted to see how Android had changed since my HTC Incredible (Android 2.2). I was excited to finally have all the apps that WP is missing. After having the phone for 3 days, I miss Windows Phone badly. There are only a couple of apps that Android has over WP, for me, Mint and instagram. I realized I'm never going to use instagram, but I do like the Mint app. I proceeded to download about 20-30 additional apps but realized that I will most likely only open them a few times and never really use them.

I instantly missed having a complete overview of the phone from the home screen. I missed seeing that I had emails, messages, phone calls, notifications on facebook and twitter. These are all things you can do on Android too but there are no previews and if there are, you are using a bulky, ugly widget.

Also, my Samsung Focus plays music instantly over my car speakers when I start my car. Nexus did not. My primary use for my phone is music. I eventually downloaded some 3rd party apps and got the music to play automatically but it was a pain in the ass.

That's kind of the problem, so much can be done on Android but it can take some digging and tweaking, where WP is so simple and easy.

Anyway, kind of venting but wanted to share my experience so far. I'm returning the Nexus 4 and going back to my Samsung Focus. I'm going to wait and see what Windows and Android have to offer later this year. I would really love a new wave of impressive phones along the lines of the 920 and 8x. Being 6 months into WP8 I don't want to upgrade without some great hardware. My Samsung Focus is doing everything I need it to at the moment.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I recently switched from the Samsung Focus (7.8) to the Nexus 4.

A few days ago I received my Nexus 4, I wanted to see how Android had changed since my HTC Incredible (Android 2.2). I was excited to finally have all the apps that WP is missing. After having the phone for 3 days, I miss Windows Phone badly. There are only a couple of apps that Android has over WP, for me, Mint and instagram. I realized I'm never going to use instagram, but I do like the Mint app. I proceeded to download about 20-30 additional apps but realized that I will most likely only open them a few times and never really use them.

I instantly missed having a complete overview of the phone from the home screen. I missed seeing that I had emails, messages, phone calls, notifications on facebook and twitter. These are all things you can do on Android too but there are no previews and if there are, you are using a bulky, ugly widget.

Also, my Samsung Focus plays music instantly over my car speakers when I start my car. Nexus did not. My primary use for my phone is music. I eventually downloaded some 3rd party apps and got the music to play automatically but it was a pain in the ass.

That's kind of the problem, so much can be done on Android but it can take some digging and tweaking, where WP is so simple and easy.

Anyway, kind of venting but wanted to share my experience so far. I'm returning the Nexus 4 and going back to my Samsung Focus. I'm going to wait and see what Windows and Android have to offer later this year. I would really love a new wave of impressive phones along the lines of the 920 and 8x. Being 6 months into WP8 I don't want to upgrade without some great hardware. My Samsung Focus is doing everything I need it to at the moment.

By the end of the year there should be some nice new hardware and even more progression on the app/games front.

bedlamite

Thinking that the delayed app would be Instagram would be hoping against hope, but this app that we got in the end...Temple Run? It's years late and even then it gets pushed back a few days for the WP launch? smh

ElNino

I would really love a new wave of impressive phones along the lines of the 920 and 8x. Being 6 months into WP8 I don't want to upgrade without some great hardware. My Samsung Focus is doing everything I need it to at the moment.
I am in a similar position. I'm eligible for hardware upgrade starting in April so I could get the 920 for free, the only catch being I wouldn't be to upgrade again for another 12 months.

Considering that I'm still very happy with my 900, I'm thinking I might wait a bit and see what Nokia's next phone is like before deciding.

thirty

Banned
Gravity Guy 2, Puzzle Craft, and Brotherhood of Violence making it to the WP marketplace before their Android/iOS counterparts? Thread worthy?

Gravity Guy 2, Puzzle Craft, and Brotherhood of Violence making it to the WP marketplace before their Android/iOS counterparts? Thread worthy?

No, it's not thread worthy, because no one cares about Windows Phone. Except for that one fanboy with the funny tag on the gaming side, maybe.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
AT&T 920 owners, check your phone updates. The 920 SW update is supposed to have been pushed today. Come on Rogers, your turn!

derFeef

So I wanted to give Xbox Music another shot because Spotify pisses me off (on the app side). Turns out the Xbox Music app is even worse and the music selection is a joke really, I can't even get half of the stuff that I can listen to on Spotify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom