• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
Posted this in the GS4 thread

Screen-Shot-2013-03-29-at-12.03.15.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I would assume that blue would raise the hardware allowance to 1080p, 2gb and quad core. So we will be in line with these early 2013 android flagships :p. I'm ok with that as long as Nokia finds another killer feature, which I'm sure they will. They understand differentiation as well as anyone else.

hadareud

The Translator
Enabling more cores, ram and higher resolution shouldn't actually have to take a major update imo. They should be able to do that before blue.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What.the.hell

lifehacker said:
In my eyes, this Windows Phone is less of a smartphone and more of a dumbphone that can surf the web, send emails, and navigate you around town, without all the apps and other stuff you've come to expect.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not linking to them, but its a recent article, the phone in question is a 920, and the article is in response to someone asking whether WP is a viable alternative to IOS and android.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes it can get quite hot at times, especially with games.

It gets really hot on the wireless charger.

Nothing to worry about.

If anyone is interested in beta-testing my app out, shoot me a pm with your Microsoft account email address. I'm going to try to put in a decent amount of work in on it this weekend and then put that up in the beta-test program.

Are there any plans to update the Office App? Viewing power points on it is brilliant but word document formatting gets messed up in the conversation and the lack of a onenote application is unfortunate.

Milchjon

Are there any plans to update the Office App? Viewing power points on it is brilliant but word document formatting gets messed up in the conversation and the lack of a onenote application is unfortunate.

There is one.

I think in WP8 they just took it out of the Office hub. You should have a look at your app list.

It's a nice app, too.

Lucifon

So I dropped my 2 month old 920 3 feet and the screen has cracked badly along with a few dints on the corner of the casing - so much for this thing being a tough beast. Have any GAF UK members had a screen replacement from Nokia, I was wondering on the cost but I'm expecting £170-200?

Looking likely that after my short run with WP8 that I might just sell it on eBay and put the money towards a sim free phone, probably the HTC One.

thirty

Banned
Tried Photoplay, the Instagram knockoff, and its filled with WP fanboys posting pics of their home screens, Surface tablets, and 360 controllers.

I'm a fanboy but all that made me sick.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I dropped my 2 month old 920 3 feet and the screen has cracked badly along with a few dints on the corner of the casing - so much for this thing being a tough beast. Have any GAF UK members had a screen replacement from Nokia, I was wondering on the cost but I'm expecting £170-200?

Looking likely that after my short run with WP8 that I might just sell it on eBay and put the money towards a sim free phone, probably the HTC One.

Would that be cheaper than replacing the 920? Is an HTC one cheaper than a 920 SIM free?

Embarrassed to admit I'm addicted to Temple Run. Such a bad repetitive game, yet I can't stop trying to level up. Gotta love the business model of this game: give the game away for free with no ads then hope you'll give the game to your kids and let them buy fake money using your real money.

Looking forward to the sequel. Should be a quick turnaround to port the sequel now that they've ported the Unity engine to Windows Phone 8. If Sega was smart they would completely rip off this Temple Run series with Sonic.

If you haven't purchased Asphalt 7 Heat yet, get that game. It's 99 cents and has some of the best graphics I've ever seen on mobile plus the online multiplayer is really fun.

maeh2k

Don't know how much it costs, but I think it would be worth it even if it's relatively expensive. A new 920 or One costs a lot more, after all.

Drop damage all too common with smartphones. Now matter how tough they are built, if they land the wrong way, they break.

Lucifon

Would that be cheaper than replacing the 920? Is an HTC one cheaper than a 920 SIM free?

No it'd be pricier. Surprisingly looks like the SIM free 920's are slightly more expensive than the One, and difficult to come by. I couldn't justify spending that much on the same phone.

Don't know how much it costs, but I think it would be worth it even if it's relatively expensive. A new 920 or One costs a lot more, after all.

It's certainly the cheaper option, but I'd be without any kind of phone for 1-2 weeks whilst it was sorted, which is something I can't really do. Also I suspect it wouldn't come back perfect? If I was to want the casing sorted they'd probably need to put a full new casing on it as well as the LED+Digitizer cost - it'd be a bomb. Also my faith in the durability of the device is non-existent now so I'd need a case, and the 920 is already a bulky weighty device that slapping a case on the thing seems less than ideal.

CaptainABAB

A friend replaced his 920 screen using the following guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKd8tCAH-eY

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also I suspect it wouldn't come back perfect? If I was to want the casing sorted they'd probably need to put a full new casing on it as well as the LED+Digitizer cost - it'd be a bomb. Also my faith in the durability of the device is non-existent now so I'd need a case, and the 920 is already a bulky weighty device that slapping a case on the thing seems less than ideal.

When I sent in my 920 I got back the same phone with a new screen, so I still have the small dings on the side. I live in the US though. I'd give Nokia and your carrier a call and at least get estimates. In terms of durability, its silly to suggest that the 920 is less durable than, say, the HTC One. Any screen will shatter, its all angles and (bad) luck. I'd dropped my 920 twice before the glass shattered. I don't like using cases either, but I also can't keep paying to replace phones, so I keep a case on when I'm outside of work.

maeh2k

It's certainly the cheaper option, but I'd be without any kind of phone for 1-2 weeks whilst it was sorted, which is something I can't really do. Also I suspect it wouldn't come back perfect? If I was to want the casing sorted they'd probably need to put a full new casing on it as well as the LED+Digitizer cost - it'd be a bomb. Also my faith in the durability of the device is non-existent now so I'd need a case, and the 920 is already a bulky weighty device that slapping a case on the thing seems less than ideal.

At least the 920 is repairable, unlike the One: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52016172&postcount=415

I wouldn't dare use a one without a case or insurance. (then again, I wouldn't use a 920 without case, either. just too expensive)

I broke my screen in a moronic drunken stress test with my buddy who has a Droid razr lte. We were throwing phones against the wall, throwing them over our shoulders etc. My 920 broke first when I dropped it from 2 ft off the ground onto a rubber kitchen mat. Its seriously durable but your luck will run out at some point.

Anyway ordered a screen replacement from a Chinese outfit and for $65 and got a local guy to switch it out it for me for $50 after failing to do it myself. Now I have nice new screen with no ATT logo.

maeh2k

no, i just mean their scoring seems ... random ...

like devices everyone says have good battery life get a 4 or 5 and then something with notoriously poor life gets a 9... the same score as the RAZR MAXX and Galaxy Note II.

so random

Yeah, they generally don't have a consistent reviewing style. Not all reviews of products in one category are equally detailed and structured and scores can vary depending on the specific reviewer, too. Also, some of their reviewing methods are silly. E.g. testing battery life on notebooks with brightness set to 65% regardless of how bright the display actually is.

That's why I don't care about verge reviews at all. They are okay to get general impressions of products, but not much more.

thirty

Banned
Wow, I just realized how crappy Smart DJ is with Xbox Music compared to the old Zune. OMG, it either tells you there isn't enough data or repeats like 2-3 songs in or out of your collection. Who's in charge over there? We need to twitter bomb these fools or something. I understand new licensing agreements had to be made but to completely scrap everything and dump all that valuable Zune data was not necessary.

Then there's still the inability to play Xbox videos on mobile.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's a travesty, and out of all the issues the press knocks this OS for, I don't think MS' Zune/xbox music debacle has gotten enough attention. I now use a Lumia 900 for podcasts/music and a 920 for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom