• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It really is fucking horrendous.

I can't understand how they could drop the ball so hard. Fine, I get it, MS wants to kill the Zune brand and replace it with Xbox, but why in the world would you have to change the software (PC and device) to such extent? Did nobody from the testing team go to his manager and straight up told him the new Media aspects were some stale dogshit?

They know that the experience didn't change for the better. What I was told was that building Xbox Music v1.0 from scratch, including RT support, simply had the highest priority and there was no time, money or intention to maintain and develop both code bases. WinRT is the future after all. It sucks, but it will get better.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They know that the experience didn't change for the better. What I was told was that building Xbox Music v1.0 from scratch, including RT support, simply had the highest priority and there was no time, money or intention to maintain and develop both code bases. WinRT is the future after all. It sucks, but it will get better.
Good shit, considering that RT's Xbox Music also sucks leper cock.

Lucifon

When I sent in my 920 I got back the same phone with a new screen, so I still have the small dings on the side. I live in the US though. I'd give Nokia and your carrier a call and at least get estimates. In terms of durability, its silly to suggest that the 920 is less durable than, say, the HTC One. Any screen will shatter, its all angles and (bad) luck. I'd dropped my 920 twice before the glass shattered. I don't like using cases either, but I also can't keep paying to replace phones, so I keep a case on when I'm outside of work.

Oh no, I certainly wasn't saying the 920 was less durable than the HTC One, that thing looks incredibly fragile. However with phones like that it's not an issue to slap a case on as they're already light and thin. I just meant that the 920 was marketed as an incredibly durable phone, and it's pretty hefty and big so adding a case would make it even bigger.

Man this phone just drains battery like nothing else sometimes. Not only does the phone's battery still drain even when plugged into a car charger if I'm using GPS navigation and bluetooth to listen to music, but now I've run out of battery a couple times while the thing is freaking plugged into the wall. Was using VBA8. Is emulating a 12-year-old Nintendo handheld really that taxing?

eastx

Man this phone just drains battery like nothing else sometimes. Not only does the phone's battery still drain even when plugged into a car charger if I'm using GPS navigation and bluetooth to listen to music, but now I've run out of battery a couple times while the thing is freaking plugged into the wall. Was using VBA8. Is emulating a 12-year-old Nintendo handheld really that taxing?

You should make sure the car charger is 2.1A, which most of them aren't. That will supply more power. Also, turning the brightness down (as Windu suggested) and disabling NFC, Bluetooth, and Wireless can certainly help.

You should make sure the car charger is 2.1A, which most of them aren't. That will supply more power. Also, turning the brightness down (as Windu suggested) and disabling NFC, Bluetooth, and Wireless can certainly help.

All right, I get all of this and I will definitely try some of it, but it doesn't change the fact that my wife's iPhone 5 can GPS all day connected to the same car charger and stay at 100% battery.

joshschw

All right, I get all of this and I will definitely try some of it, but it doesn't change the fact that my wife's iPhone 5 can GPS all day connected to the same car charger and stay at 100% battery.

Wow, it should not be doing that, I have a super cheap car charger and the thing will be at 100% if I GPS for a couple hours. Though that is with maps pre-downloaded. I could see it struggling if you have terrible reception and are downloading maps on the fly, maybe?

I don't know, but either way that is not normal. At all!

PG2G

I remember reading (can't find where) that some iPhone specific chargers won't provide the same amount of power to non iPhones. Could be what you're experiencing.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1BSQF...N=B00622AG6S&nodeID=2335752011&store=wireless

My car charger is this one, I can't find the number of amps but the product page doesn't list it as being iPhone-specific. I also got this cable that supposedly avoids the phone being trickle charged.

Still, the phone will even lose battery at home when connected to the Nokia charger when using VBA8. A couple other people with 920s in the reviews for the app noted the same problem, so maybe the problem there is with the app.

It's a travesty, and out of all the issues the press knocks this OS for, I don't think MS' Zune/xbox music debacle has gotten enough attention. I now use a Lumia 900 for podcasts/music and a 920 for everything else.

Sadly, I think the reason is that as long as the press has their drag and drop, they dont care. Sucks it had to be this way though. Zune was, and still is the single best music management software I have ever used.

Cipherr

Yep, I got some really good chargers from Amazon. The weak chargers we used before that would drain the battery while using maps/navigation. But these new ones are incredible. Its not the phone, its the charger.

My car charger is this one, I can't find the number of amps but the product page doesn't list it as being iPhone-specific. I also got this cable that supposedly avoids the phone being trickle charged.

Still, the phone will even lose battery at home when connected to the Nokia charger when using VBA8. A couple other people with 920s in the reviews for the app noted the same problem, so maybe the problem there is with the app.
Well I don't know how you would check it on WP, but on Android, you can tell if the charger is trickle charging out not by looking at the battery starts in songs while charging. It says 'Charging (USB)' or 'Charging (AC)' based on the level of charging it's receiving. So if you know someone with an Android device, you can check that way.

From what i remember when I was reading about this last December, it's kind of a crap shoot if the 2.1A car or wall adapter doesn't specifically say it works on devices other than iOS devices. Some work, some don't...

Yep, I got some really good chargers from Amazon. The weak chargers we used before that would drain the battery while using maps/navigation. But these new ones are incredible. Its not the phone, its the charger.
I back that. I bought a USB for charging on the road with my laptop and whenever it was plugged in it only drained the phone (abet at a slower rate). I got a new USB and it solved the problem.

hadareud

The Translator
If it continues to grow at this rate you're going to soon see a lot more still.

10 % by the end of the year seems achievable. If that happens I think we'll see a real tipping point in app support and how seriously the platform is taken.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
If it continues to grow at this rate you're going to soon see a lot more still.

10 % by the end of the year seems achievable. If that happens I think we'll see a real tipping point in app support and how seriously the platform is taken.
They still need to work harder on getting more manufacturers and networks on board.

WP is basically being held up by Nokia.

hadareud

The Translator
They still need to work harder on getting more manufacturers and networks on board.

WP is basically being held up by Nokia.

Very true. But that's what I meant with the platform comment. If the platform reaches 10% I'm certain that more manufacturers will jump on board and that those that are already on board will take it a lot more seriously.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Seriously, WTF is Microsoft doing right in places like Italy and why aren't they duplicating that in the US?

If I had to guess? Nokia. They probably have their cheap models available all over the place there. The right approach in most markets is to have low cost handsets on all carriers. WP would be doing better in the US if Nokia could get the 620, 520, and 720 on every major carrier plus all the small regional prepay ones.

hwalker84

So I received my Blackberry Z10 to test before we start deploying them. I must say most of it feels like an Android and iOS knockoff. But that damn Blackberry hub is killer and ridiculously fast. Also how the F does Blackberry's Activesync sync Exchange Taks & Notes and Windows Phone doesn't???

MCD

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Anyone uses this? Out of curiosity, I sent them an email port begging for Windows 8/RT and Windows Phone 8 and this was their response:

Unfortunately Windows Phone 7 and 8 do not give us close enough access to the Wi-Fi hardware to perform Wi-Fi scanning, so we cannot bring inSSIDer to Windows Phone, but we would like to if we could! We also do not currently have any plans to port our software to Windows RT, since it's a different architecture than Windows 8. Thank you for your interest in MetaGeek products, and be sure to let me know if you have more questions!

Best Regards,

Joel

And here I thought WP8 closed the gap. Oh well, at least they want to unlike the usual response I get with some other devs.

jagowar

If I had to guess? Nokia. They probably have their cheap models available all over the place there. The right approach in most markets is to have low cost handsets on all carriers. WP would be doing better in the US if Nokia could get the 620, 520, and 720 on every major carrier plus all the small regional prepay ones.

Part of it is the cheaper handsets but another part is the "exclusivity" bs. At this point it is nokia as the only oem who matters for windows phone and the 920 only being on at&t killed their chances to get to similar levels here.

The entire lumia range should be on every US carrier.

frontieruk

Part of it is the cheaper handsets but another part is the "exclusivity" bs. At this point it is nokia as the only oem who matters for windows phone and the 920 only being on at&t killed their chances to get to similar levels here.

The entire lumia range should be on every US carrier.

Oh so the 920 being Exclusive to EE in the UK hindered take off?

The question is though, Is it Nokias fault that the phones aren't available on all carriers? or is it the carrier fault that they don't want to cooperate with Nokia in getting it on all carriers? Both?

Cipherr

The question is though, Is it Nokias fault that the phones aren't available on all carriers? or is it the carrier fault that they don't want to cooperate with Nokia in getting it on all carriers? Both?

I think its probably the carriers. I get the feeling that its a bit of an overbearing game of quid pro quo, with the hardware OEM's trying to maintain as much device control as they can, while the carriers try their damnedest to control (AKA, fuck up) everything. I have no data to prove that though.

frontieruk

I think its probably the carriers. I get the feeling that its a bit of an overbearing game of quid pro quo, with the hardware OEM's trying to maintain as much device control as they can, while the carriers try their damnedest to control (AKA, fuck up) everything. I have no data to prove that though.

I thought the carriers pretty much dictate hardware has to be exclusive to their networks thus all the BS variations of samsungs in the US where the hardware is the same but the case changes slightly

long enough time in phone terms, plus that's the period of time when most devices have their initial buzz.

Still better than launching a variation of your flagship 6 months after the initial launch, only for it to be outdated few months later with the OS refresh and new wave of devices. At least this time it's getting an OS update, unlike the 900.

Cipherr

I thought the carriers pretty much dictate hardware has to be exclusive to their networks thus all the BS variations of samsungs in the US where the hardware is the same but the case changes slightly

Nah not always. For example, for the last two years Samsungs hardware and cases are all the same across all US carriers now. No more slightly changed cases. Its assumed its because Samsung got so popular that they now have the weight to push back against the carriers now.

I don't know if thats true, but it has a ring of horror to it that sounds just about right for the fucked up US Carrier situation. IMO all OEM's probably want their phone on all major carriers. I cannot imagine any of them want to limit their reach intentionally, so to me, that suggests that its the carriers screwing everything up.

Troll

Banned
Still better than launching a variation of your flagship 6 months after the initial launch, only for it to be outdated few months later with the OS refresh and new wave of devices. At least this time it's getting an OS update, unlike the 900.

Those meltdowns were glorious.

hadareud

The Translator

Don't see how that's such a bad idea.

If they re-released the 920 it would hardly make a dent half a year after its release. A variation with some exclusive features and a new design has a much better chance to generate additional sales before the release of the next flagship imo.

Don't see how that's such a bad idea.

If they re-released the 920 it would hardly make a dent half a year after its release. A variation with some exclusive features and a new design has a much better chance to generate additional sales before the release of the next flagship imo.

But it's going to be the same old hardware, with the same screen, same SoC, same amount of RAM, while devices with better specs follow shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom