• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
But it's going to be the same old hardware, with the same screen, same SoC, same amount of RAM, while devices with better specs follow shortly.

Sure, but the alternative is to just release the 920. This way they should get some exclusive marketing and sell more phones.

And it's not like the phone is a slouch, hardware wise.

Sure, but the alternative is to just release the 920. This way they should get some exclusive marketing and sell more phones.

And it's not like the phone is a slouch, hardware wise.

The other alternative would be releasing the successor in a timely manner on Verizon, including all the differentiation that this model is getting.

And yes, hardware wise, the phone is a slouch on the spreadsheets. Have you seen the new Android phones? They're launching a 1.5 GHz Dual-Core SoC, with an outdated GPU, 1 GB of RAM and a 768p screen against Quad-Core devices with 2 GB RAM (or more) and 1080p screens. It doesn't matter how good the OS runs, it simply looks bad in comparison.

e: Everyone hoped Windows Phone 8 would solve this problem, instead they're releasing 2011 hardware in 2013. Again.

kharma45

The other alternative would be releasing the successor in a timely manner on Verizon, including all the differentiation that this model is getting.

And yes, hardware wise, the phone is a slouch on the spreadsheets. Have you seen the new Android phones? They're launching a 1.5 GHz Dual-Core SoC, with an outdated GPU, 1 GB of RAM and a 768p screen against Quad-Core devices with 2 GB RAM (or more) and 1080p screens. It doesn't matter how good the OS runs, it simply looks bad in comparison.

e: Everyone hoped Windows Phone 8 would solve this problem, instead they're releasing 2011 hardware in 2013. Again.

wut.

Snapdragon S4 is a 2012 SoC.

The phones aren't slouches, they still benchmark well. Sunspider for example they're still the best, even the HTC One can't match the Lumia 920.

The only thing that you could argue they're truly lacking is a 1080p screen. The phones don't need more RAM yet (Android is the only mobile OS that is pushing for more), the S4 still cuts it fine in 2012 and lets be honest the HD screens on the 920 and 8X are far from bad.

Exactly, look at iOS. Apple don't market the phone as having xGB of RAM or having a 960x1200 screen or whatever it has, they market it on the experience you get. Very few care about phone specs in the grand scheme of things, people want a good experience not hearing their phone has a Snapdragon 600 with an Adreno whatever.

hwalker84

I feel like the consumer either goes specs or apple. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I see. I hate to keep comparing my 920 to this z10 I just got but fuck blackberry stole so many good ideas from ios, android, and wp. Now I hope Microsoft steals some features back. The browser on this thing is much faster and now I finally get you guys who are begging for a notification system. BlackBerry Hub rules.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So what would you guys like when we finally get a notification center?

-swipe left for notification center

-Me tile integration

-swipe down shade a la android (and subsequently copied by Apple)

-A separate tile called Notifications

-Something different (post your idea)

-Me tile integration

Either Swipe Left or pull it up from the bottom. Reason I say bottom is that the menu bar on Windows Phone isn't visible 100% of the time, so the top already has a function. Hence pulling it up from the bottom.

Personally though, I only want a swipe left for notifications. The people who would complain about not being able to access it directly from any app would just have to deal with it. Just press the windows button, swipe to see what you need to, then press back to back to your app.

I feel like the consumer either goes specs or apple. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I see. I hate to keep comparing my 920 to this z10 I just got but fuck blackberry stole so many good ideas from ios, android, and wp. Now I hope Microsoft steals some features back. The browser on this thing is much faster and now I finally get you guys who are begging for a notification system. BlackBerry Hub rules.

The consumer goes for Apple or Google. They aren't choosing specs or screen, they just know that all their friends have iPhones and Galaxies. So that's what they are getting. I've heard good things about the Blackberry 10 OS and the Z10 seems like a pretty decent device but they are so late to the party now that it's not even funny anymore. How they plan to recover the mindshare they lost is a mystery to everybody. But even there, Blackberry has a more positive image in the consumer's mind than Microsoft and Windows do.

MCD

http://www.wpcentral.com/anything-possible

D7tA9hE.jpg

Oh no you didn't, Rubino.

Totakeke

The consumer goes for Apple or Samsung. They aren't choosing specs or screen, they just know that all their friends have iPhones and Galaxies. So that's what they are getting. I've heard good things about the Blackberry 10 OS and the Z10 seems like a pretty decent device but they are so late to the party now that it's not even funny anymore. How they plan to recover the mindshare they lost is a mystery to everybody. But even there, Blackberry has a more positive image in the consumer's mind than Microsoft and Windows do.

Fixed.

Blackhead

Redarse
The consumer goes for Apple or Google Samsung. They aren't choosing specs or screen, they just know that all their friends have iPhones and Galaxies. So that's what they are getting. I've heard good things about the Blackberry 10 OS and the Z10 seems like a pretty decent device but they are so late to the party now that it's not even funny anymore. How they plan to recover the mindshare they lost is a mystery to everybody. But even there, Blackberry has a more positive image in the consumer's mind than Microsoft and Windows do.
The consumers go for Nokia (and HTC) phones not Microsoft/Windows phone. Negative association with windows desktop doesn't really apply

-Me tile integration

Replace search button with a notification center button. Nobody cares about bing anyways...

Actually my idea is somewhat more involved than that. First they should make bing more than just websearch by copying Universal Search/Just Type from webOS (and the Search Charm in Windows 8). People don't like searching on mobile devices — they prefer to use focused apps. Bing should take a query and present a list of ways to act on it: search text in Wikipedia or bing; save text to OneNote; send text as a message; call text (contact's name); and so on. Which brings us back to the Notification Center. Notifications are simply items waiting to be acted on even if the only act is to dimiss them. The notifications should be easy actionable with options to reply, delete, archive, remind later etc.

The three System UI buttons would then correspond to:
  • Back button: goes back, shows recent apps. History. What you've previously been doing with your phone.
  • Home button: shows tiles. The Present. An overview of the current status of your phone
  • Bing/Search/new button: shows notifications. The Future. What you should be doing and will be doing with the phone

frontieruk

Having read the article they seem to suggest there is a deal between the apps to allow that feature rather than it being in the api natively, I'm not sure having a 3rd party app on a platform before the 1st party one arrives would make sense so couldn't see such a deal being on the table.

From the api forums

Strictly there is a relationship between Hipstamtic and Instagram such that they are permitted to directly upload images from their application, but there is certainly no publicly accessible method to upload.

Whether or not Hipstamatic has paid money in order to get this ability I'm not certain, but it would be more about the long term relationship between Hipstamatic and Instagram, and Hipstamatic's proven track record as an application on the iPhone. It is the only such relationship that I am aware of, and I would suggest that brokering such a deal is well outside the reach of this forum.

Tonza

After the update to my Nokia 920 about a month ago (I live in Finland) my phone takes around 2 seconds to wake up from sleep. Or rather the screen takes that long to come on, the touchscreen works faster. (I can already swipe the unlock screen before anything shows on screen)

Is this a known problem? It's getting really annoying added to the fact that the phone tends to die if unused for a while. Disabling WiFi seems to have made that problem better though.

Firestorm

I miss the shit out of my BlackBerry notification system even from OS7 :( Honestly I am getting pretty fed up with my WP 7.5 -- mostly in the app department but also with notifications. I should upgrade my phone soon and am considering a Nexus 4, iPhone 5, or Lumia 920.

Joe

How's the 620? I'm in the US but hate buying phones on a contract. The only apps I use on my 3GS are words with friends and Instagram. One runs like crap on WP and the other doesn't exist :(

MarkusRJR

How's the 620? I'm in the US but hate buying phones on a contract. The only apps I use on my 3GS are words with friends and Instagram. One runs like crap on WP and the other doesn't exist :(
Oh man anything would be an upgrade from a 3GS. My friend's 3GS is soooo slow. 3 year contracts suck. I'm surprised you aren't going insane from the lag, app force-closes, and random chugging.

I miss the shit out of my BlackBerry notification system even from OS7 :( Honestly I am getting pretty fed up with my WP 7.5 -- mostly in the app department but also with notifications. I should upgrade my phone soon and am considering a Nexus 4, iPhone 5, or Lumia 920.

Well if you want notifications, a Lumia 920 won't do you any more good than what you have now. The iOS notifications system was stolen straight from Android but manages to be worse, so you might as well go with the N4.

As far as apps go, nothing will ever be able to touch iOS and Android now. Critical mass has long been surpassed for both of those platforms, all WP and Blackberry are chasing now is the crumbs of the market, in terms of both market share and number of apps.

kharma45

It's OK for the price you pay, much better than budget Android devices of the same price point. I'm happy enough with mine but I'm only using it until November-ish when the next Nexus and new flagship Lumia are due.

If you don't like how Windows Phone deals with notifications why are you looking at the 920? Same for apps, it's not that much of an improvement with WP8.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
8gb non expandable is bullshit. Only N4 worth considering is the 16gb version, which is still extremely reasonably priced at $350.

Very few phones are reasonably priced off contract in the US, but I'd put the 920 in that category at $450. Its also easy to get a good deal off Craigslist and eBay as long as you are on a gsm carrier.

Milchjon

If the API gives access to view and post photos to Instagram, does it matter? I literally know nothing about the functionality/API of Instagram.

Because as far as most people are concerned, WP still "doesn't have" Instagram?
Third party apps just don't have the same impact.

If the API gives access to view and post photos to Instagram, does it matter? I literally know nothing about the functionality/API of Instagram.
I was under the impression that the API didn't give access to post...

Because when we give up all hope it will happen? Because then we "won't have Vine" so it'll just be another thing that people say they can't live without.

Or just sheer grumpiness. Could be that...
But nobody is Vine.

Our the other 7344285 'Twitter of Video' services that came before it.

Remember 12seconds.tv?

Troll

Banned
I don't care, I'm just asking because Troll posted it before.

Oh, I wasn't being serious. Who knows what Instagrams devs are thinking, but it probably has to do with WP's almost non existent market share compared to iOS and Android.

Eventually? Sure. Why not. Soon? I don't see it with how long it took them to make the Android app.

8gb non expandable is bullshit. Only N4 worth considering is the 16gb version, which is still extremely reasonably priced at $350.

Very few phones are reasonably priced off contract in the US, but I'd put the 920 in that category at $450. Its also easy to get a good deal off Craigslist and eBay as long as you are on a gsm carrier.
Well, for $200 you can get a Boost Force by ZTE, $250 for a Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE, and $300 for a HTC One SV... All oft which have a MicroSD slot.

frontieruk

The API doesn't, I'd imagine instagraph works as Aviary has negotiated posting to Instagram, so expect apps like Mehdoh to support it very soon...

MCD

http://www.wpcentral.com/instagraph-instagram-app-windows-phone-8-video-tour

So the million dollar question everyone is asking is how did these developers do it? We can’t go into specifics because according to them it’s basically a “secret”. What we can say is that no, Instagram has not given them API access and no, they have not incorporated those APIs in an unofficial method either.

Currently, Instagram only gives API access for browsing files but not for posting.

Instead what seems to be going on here (from our analysis and hints from the developer) is an Azure server-relay method whereby your post goes through their servers to Instagram. It’s a hack to be sure and far from ideal, but unlike the unofficial Pandora app situation on Windows Phone, this method can’t be suddenly “turned off” by Instagram by changing the API.

While nice, it is still not official.

For shame, Joe Belfiore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom