• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

Have never experienced any burn in or image retention on my S3. Gnex was bad for this, its an inferior screen though.

MCD

zJnJze2.jpg

For the past few months, many have been waiting for the Nokia Lumia 928 to break cover but we now have the first look at the phone that will land on Verizon in the near future. Even though we had previously heard that the device would be clad in aluminum, the images show that Nokia is sticking with the polycarbonate exterior that has become a staple of the Lumia line of devices.

The images, while small, were released by the ever-reliable @evleaks and appear to be the real deal; they also represent our first look at the phone. A few notable differences we can see is that the back of device looks different than the existing Lumia 920 with what looks like to be a xenon flash as opposed to the LED flash on the current device. In addition, you can see that the back bar text has changed and the word Nokia has been removed and replaced by Carl Zeiss.

06R9IFP.jpg

More importantly, the location of the worlds Carl Zeiss has been changed and replaced by PureView, which would confirm that the phone will use Nokia's PureView imaging sensors for the phone.

To no surprise either, the phone will be able to connect to Verizon's LTE network. The front of the device appears relatively unchanged and looks a lot like the Lumia 920 but with Verizon branding.

Beyond that, the exterior looks similar to the rest of the Lumia family and should hopefully hit store shelves in the near future.

http://www.neowin.net/news/verizons-lumia-928-leaks-not-made-of-aluminum-packs-pureview

NeOak

They are comparing it to a 900? My 920 says Carl Zeiss Tessar 2.0/26 on the aluminum part.

Edit: Seems that's an unbranded 920.

thirty

Banned
Would be funny if Verizon and T-Mobile finally get their plastic 920 variant but the thin aluminum variant as well as the EOS are both ATT exclusive.

Milchjon

Hey brotkasten, do you remember suggesting that I should develop a superior Google Reader app for WP? I'm on it right now!

No, I'm not. Sorry, I had to.

Quikies83

Is there any way to block someone from calling or texting me from my Lumia 920 (att)? I see att has a monthly service for $4.99 (called Smart Limits) but that seems a little silly to have to pay for.

From the Android thread:
Random rumor of the day, Google to buy Whatsapp for 1 Billion Dollars http://www.digitaltrends.com/social-media/google-acquiring-whatsapp/
I think that would upset me for some reason, but I couldn't say why.
I know why. Because Google would kill the Blackberry and Symbian app.

Looking at Google's current WP support, I think giga is right. A move like that could kill WhatsApp for Windows Phone.

Cipherr

From the Android thread:

Looking at Google's current WP support, I think giga is right. A move like that could kill WhatsApp for Windows Phone.

Would whatsapp sell if that was a possibility? Seems like they wouldn't want to chop into their userbase like that, buyout or not.

But yeah, hopefully thats not true, unfortunately the relationship between MS and Google (WP and Android in particular) is so incredibly soured, that such a thing is possible. Whatsapp immediately loses value if it ceases to work on multiple platforms. I hope they realize that.

Would whatsapp sell if that was a possibility? Seems like they wouldn't want to chop into their userbase like that, buyout or not.

But yeah, hopefully thats not true, unfortunately the relationship between MS and Google (WP and Android in particular) is so incredibly soured, that such a thing is possible. Whatsapp immediately loses value if it ceases to work on multiple platforms. I hope they realize that.

but money.

after Reader, i wouldn't put anything past Google.

MS needs to kill of WP8 and fork Android with their own infrastructure. that would be fantastic.

daevv

Bought a 32gb micro SD card for my Samsung ATIVs today. Never knew about class 4 and class 10 micro SD cards till today either. Class 10 is better so the internet says so I went with that. $24.99 and free shipping on the futureshop website.

No, I'm sick of the OLED screen in my Nexus.

The OLED screen on Galaxy Nexus is pretty bad though.

Does good calibration prevent ghosting and burn-in?

OLED has always had dramatically superior motion resolution over LCD. If you put a phone with an OLED display (or a PS Vita) side by side with a phone that has an LCD display and play the same game on both, it's pretty obvious to see. OLED doesn't have the ghosting and motion blur characteristic of LCD because the individual LEDs have instant response time like plasma. The other problem, sample-and-hold, is unfortunately shared between OLED and LCD, whereas the phosphors on a plasma panel rapidly lose brightness between screen refreshes like a CRT's phosphors and so the plasma's motion resolution is better still than either OLED or LCD.

The biggest reasons why home theater enthusiasts have been looking to OLED TVs as their messiah are the infinite contrast and zero black levels and the vastly superior motion resolution over LCD, but without the various issues which plasma TVs have. Both plasma and OLED can have burn-in so it's a wash there, and OLED won't be suitable for mass-production TV use until they solve the burn-in problem.

hwalker84

Windows Phone 8.1 concept. I could live with these updates.

e: Forgot to add, GIVE ME CUSTOM NOTIFICATIONS MICROSOFT. Such a small thing, but I do love customizing those little sounds.

I don't even care for custom sounds all I want is different vibrations to be selectable as notifications.

I want to keep the ringer on but when email comes in for work to vibrate not chime. I would also want my Gmail to vibrate differently than my work.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
that 8.1 is ugly as sin. "Let's just add buttons everywhere! yey Android!"

Yep, not feeling that concept. Way too much unintuitive swiping and buttons. Some things I like, third party app notifications on the Me tile being one, but not much else.

So the Ativ S is coming over to Sprint this summer, eh? Looks like I'm going to be getting my first smart phone.

Any guesses on how much it'll cost on an upgrade?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Man... as a Canadian who uses TELUS, I wonder when the heck they're going to get more Windows Phone 8 phones :(

Their last one is a Nokia Lumia 620 which is a decent phone. However, what about the 820 and 920 ? What about the HTC ? :( :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom