• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Oh so it did, so that's two phones then.

HTC Rezound, Sharp Aquos SH-01D, LG Nitro HD, and I think Sony's 720p 1GB phone just missed a 2011 launch and slipped into 2012.

But it was not as rare as you seem to think it was. Quite a few OEM's had HD 1GB smartphones out in late 2011, with other manufacturers doing it shortly after 2012 hit.

kharma45

HTC Rezound, Sharp Aquos SH-01D, LG Nitro HD, and I think Sony's 720p 1GB phone just missed a 2011 launch and slipped into 2012.

But it was not as rare as you seem to think it was. Quite a few OEM's had HD 1GB smartphones out in late 2011, with other manufacturers doing it shortly after 2012 hit.

More than I thought, all we had was the Note and the GN in the UK.

joshschw

Have to send my 920 off for repair.

Battery plummets in mere hours to empty. Cellular signal goes on and off, while other phone next to it on same network are fine. Front camera is so caked with dust it is unusable.
Phone was fine a couple of weeks ago - exception being the camera being caked with dust, which it has been since two weeks after I got it when it came out.

Hope Nokia is good about this...

Yeah, it is pretty rare for me to do so. I always laugh about the adds on TV about people hovering over a phone to watch a show or sports.

I streamed the NCAA Tournament to my phone while I was stuck at work. It was fine for me, but I also have a Galaxy Note II and my screen is bigger than most people's. Obviously if I was at home I would watch on my TV, but I wasn't. So having the option to stream to my phone was nice.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I streamed the NCAA Tournament to my phone while I was stuck at work. It was fine for me, but I also have a Galaxy Note II and my screen is bigger than most people's. Obviously if I was at home I would watch on my TV, but I wasn't. So having the option to stream to my phone was nice.

That's cool. Probably for me,.im not out enough or commuting to really make use of it. My data plan is also not great so WiFi is a must.

Schuey and ttooll, you guys should be able to download it once the update goes live (two hours?).

Fixed a live tile issue/button issues/timestamping of files/welcome text

Does anyone know if all the issues with 7.8 live tiles have been fixed?

I can say that they have already been fixed.

However, one should be aware that some live tiles may still not get updated if the background task tied with it cannot finish within a given time limit. I have had that happen with WPCentral's double-wide tile. I reverted to the classic "2x2" tile.

maeh2k

Is a Lumia 620 better for my parents than a 520?

Depends on what exactly they want in a phone and how big the price difference is to the 620.

The 520 doesn't have a flash or a front-facing camera. Also no compass (used in Nokia City Lens, probably photosynth too). I'm not sure, but I think only the 620 has a clearblack display, so it might be slightly better (but the 520's is slightly larger).

I don't consider FFCs imporant. Most people don't really use them. If you don't need that stuff the 520 will be fine. For my parents those those added features wouldn't make a difference, so I'd go mostly by price (or have them look at the phones in a store to see the colors and materials).

Ragus

Banned
My flatmate bought himself 820. I think I have never held a more ergonomic phone in my hand. The size feels so right.

On the other hand, his battery life sucks compared to my sold 920.

A smaller battery and an AMOLED display hurts a lot when it comes to dark-on-light content, which are... well, web pages, for example. I know that feeling. I tend to get only about 3-4 hours of continuous browsing on my Lumia 900.

monome

My Lumia 800 doesn't output sound anymore unless I use the speakers since sand got in the jack input...gonna get a 520 as soon as it ships but damn...I love Metro but I'm not digging the current high ends WP8 phones.

hopefully Nokia or MS release a lust worthy one by year's end. My contract expires this summer, and the 520 is just an in-between but I can see myself going back to Apple after all the little quirks I got with the 800, or even get a Nexus since I like my Nexus 7 and wouldn't mind selling it if I get a 5" phone.

I loved the utilitarian desing of the first Lumias, but nowadays iPhones are chrome-less and Google has an utilitarian approach too with its wares.

Can MS make a Surface phone that both looks great and works flawlessly?
I don't like Apple OSs very much, but my Iphones and Imacs are the most reliable pieces of tech I've ever owned...

My flatmate bought himself 820. I think I have never held a more ergonomic phone in my hand. The size feels so right.

I'd be happy if they'd release a 820 with a 720p display. I really want to go back, but I'm not going back to WVGA. It's not 2009 anymore.

Oh, so that is why he told me, that his battery drains a lot when he is using facebook/IE10.

Indeed. An LCD would be very good when it comes to textual content like this, though to be honest, I think an LCD doesn't do Modern UI justice. It's all about compromises. Battery life, or being very pretty...

To be honest, I don't think I can go back to LCD. Not after looking at the blacks that an AMOLED display can achieve. Makes me a bit hopeful that the next flagship Lumia comes with a HD AMOLED display. Bonus points for not being PenTile...

Speaking of Surface phones, I doubt they'll need it anytime soon. They've got Nokia in the bag.

I really want a HD display, but I can see PenTile even at around 306 PPI. Egad.

maeh2k

That's out of context. He did not suggest that guy kill himself at all. In context:
Brian S Hall from the RRW for example writes that “The real reason why Windows Phone has failed because there is no good reason for it to exist,” saying it does not offer a superior user experience in social networks, browsing, email, playing games and listening to music – the main uses of a smartphone these days.

Brian, I have news for you. There is no real reason for your existence either. You lack insight, there are millions of other bloggers who could do your job better, and I suggest therefore you should go kill yourself.

A bit harsh? But of course this is exactly what Brian suggests Microsoft should do. Give up, curl in a ball and wait to die while the world passes them by.

As you can see, this Windows Phone supporter is clearly arguing that MS should not kill Windows Phone ~ the author should not kill himself.

giga

That's out of context. He did not suggest that guy kill himself at all. In context:

As you can see, this Windows Phone supporter is clearly arguing that MS should not kill Windows Phone ~ the author should not kill himself.
I don't see where Brian said Microsoft should kill the platform.

Either way, the post was pathetic. There's no way one can compare an os to a human life.

drspeedy

Asking a similar question in the iPhone thread, but I'm changing phones for work, and could use some advice from smartphone GAF. I write a lot of emails from my phone, a BB 9930- on a normal day maybe 25-40, but when I'm travelling it can be 75-100 emails per day, some with spreadsheets/attachments, 100% from my phone (until I can log on and use Outlook/Office on PC).

I've got the option of moving to an Lumia 920, which is apparently phenomenal for Outlook and Office suite users, but has a distinct disadvantage when it comes to iPhones and all the fantastic apps and connectivity that iPhones are known for.

So my question (not having read through most of the posts ITT): is anyone here using a 920 as their primary work device in combo with Outlook, and how well does it work for your needs? Will I be cursing every time I type an email with the onscreen keyboard? How easy is it to set up a wifi hotspot and pair with a PC? Are there apps that just don't exist in the WP8 landscape that would make an iPhone better?

Also love to hear complaints or praise from anyone who's switched from a Blackberry or other iPhone to a WP8 device for work.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I've got the option of moving to an Lumia 920, which is apparently phenomenal for Outlook and Office suite users, but has a distinct disadvantage when it comes to iPhones and all the fantastic apps and connectivity that iPhones are known for.

I think you've got your choice clearly laid out in front of you. The 920 integrates better with office and outlook, plus has a better camera. The iPhone has way more apps and the option to add more accessories like keyboard cases etc. I think greyface did a good job breaking it down for you in the other thread. Either phone will serve you well for email and neither one will make you miss your BlackBerry.

Asking a similar question in the iPhone thread, but I'm changing phones for work, and could use some advice from smartphone GAF. I write a lot of emails from my phone, a BB 9930- on a normal day maybe 25-40, but when I'm travelling it can be 75-100 emails per day, some with spreadsheets/attachments, 100% from my phone (until I can log on and use Outlook/Office on PC).

So my question (not having read through most of the posts ITT): is anyone here using a 920 as their primary work device in combo with Outlook, and how well does it work for your needs? Will I be cursing every time I type an email with the onscreen keyboard? How easy is it to set up a wifi hotspot and pair with a PC? Are there apps that just don't exist in the WP8 landscape that would make an iPhone better?

Also love to hear complaints or praise from anyone who's switched from a Blackberry or other iPhone to a WP8 device for work.
i read your post. get the Lumia 920.

if you're still really worried about those fantastic apps, you can just get an iPad Mini down the line.

MCD

lZ8zt0Q.png

http://wmpoweruser.com/supposed-specs-of-the-nokia-catwalk-leaked-only-132g/

Milchjon

I'm not sure what the strategy is there. Release this in summer, wait for MS to allow higher specs, release another flagship in October?
Or are they desperate?

Edit: The fuck is octaOLED?

I'm not sure what the strategy is there. Release this in summer, wait for MS to allow higher specs, release another flagship in October?
Or are they desperate?

Edit: The fuck is octaOLED?

I am thinking that is their new strategy, new phone every 6 months. I think Nokia 920 could use a slim and lighter version. Not everyone need OIS and low light camera. Taking that away and provide for lighter version should have been there all along. That's why I argue that the 820 doesn't make sense especially in light of their plan for 520, and 720. 820 really should have 720p screen just omit the OIS and stick with Carl Zeis Lens.

I don't think I am ready to upgrade though, I really need to see Microsoft step up their game before commit deeper into Windows Phone eco.

I have no clue what is OctaOLED ... all I know is the screen on my 920 is perfect.

So my friend is thinking of switching and he was wondering if there was any app that allows a person to take slow motion video. I don't really get the utility of such an app but I told him id look into it. You guys know if there's any apps or lenses that allow you to do that?

I don't see where Brian said Microsoft should kill the platform.

Either way, the post was pathetic. There's no way one can compare an os to a human life.
No reason for it to exist is probably the same, not that I don't mostly agree with Brian article. Microsoft just playing catch up and will never have that game changing devices. When Windows Phone 7 launch it DID have that potential.

Milchjon

Am I alone in preferring LCDs to OLED displays?

I don't think so, I haven't yet met anyone here who agreed with me about AMOLED's oversaturated colors being superior :-D

I love it though. Both the saturation and especially the deep blacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom