• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
and it's ugly as fuck and needs a redesign.... Which is what you asked about.

But you can probably keep on asking retarded questions all night long.

it's ugly and needs a redesign

why?

it's from 2007

and?

why?

it's from 2007

and?

why?

sounds like you just want change for change's sake... to 'shake things up' if you will. no real reason as to why it needs change.

Milchjon

ok.. and?

I hate the gradients/pseudo 3D. I hate the rounded edges. I hate how rigid it all is.

There are some 3rd party apps that make it work (like some Google apps or those leaked Office screens), but I have grown to hate the design language, and I especially hate that it has become the baseline for many mobile web layouts.

BTW, I do kinda like the current Android design language. iOS is just way behind from an aesthetic point of view. So much so, that I don't care about usability. It may make sense and it is dead simple, but I just can't stand looking at it.

joshschw

Back in business with a new 920 from AT&T. They did initially make me some hassle at the Service Center but the next time I went back in, they ordered me a new phone, and overnighted it.

Nice to see that the backup feature works okay, and I have all my texts. The IE faves did not restore themselves though. Might be because I could not add my account on first boot like the instructions state. I did not have a SIM card in there at that point.

why?

it's from 2007

and?

why?

it's from 2007

and?

why?

sounds like you just want change for change's sake... to 'shake things up' if you will. no real reason as to why it needs change.

Just like people don't like Metro's simplistic styling and text heavy design, some people don't like Apple's iconic brushes and skeumorphism. It's an opinion, man. I don't think anyone here assumes they speak for the entire world when they declare that someone needs a redesign....

Nice to see that the backup feature works okay, and I have all my texts. The IE faves did not restore themselves though. Might be because I could not add my account on first boot like the instructions state. I did not have a SIM card in there at that point.

Correct

joshschw

I figured. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the texts restored themselves even though I didn't - actually couldn't - follow the directions.

Also that backup/restore is something that needs to be improved upon in the next big update... I never even found the Applist that it supposedly makes, unless it's just the My Purchases" thing on the website - which worked fine.

why?

it's from 2007

and?

why?

it's from 2007

and?

why?

So you honestly don't think that iOS could use a redesign? Like, exactly the reason why Ive is in charge of that now?

I figured. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the texts restored themselves even though I didn't - actually couldn't - follow the directions.

Also that backup/restore is something that needs to be improved upon in the next big update... I never even found the Applist that it supposedly makes, unless it's just the My Purchases" thing on the website - which worked fine.

twill be better

Milchjon

Instagraph will be $2.49 with no free trial (due to server costs), limited to 3 pics per day initially, you can't create an account, and you can't look at photos.

Oh the humanity.

Might still buy it :-(

Just like people don't like Metro's simplistic styling and text heavy design, some people don't like Apple's iconic brushes and skeumorphism. It's an opinion, man. I don't think anyone here assumes they speak for the entire world when they declare that someone needs a redesign....

I hate the gradients/pseudo 3D. I hate the rounded edges. I hate how rigid it all is.

There are some 3rd party apps that make it work (like some Google apps or those leaked Office screens), but I have grown to hate the design language, and I especially hate that it has become the baseline for many mobile web layouts.

BTW, I do kinda like the current Android design language. iOS is just way behind from an aesthetic point of view. So much so, that I don't care about usability. It may make sense and it is dead simple, but I just can't stand looking at it.

See, these are things I can understand. The 'stale/old' I don't get.

So you honestly don't think that iOS could use a redesign? Like, exactly the reason why Ive is in charge of that now?
It could use some tweaking, like the weather app icon showing the current weather..

Instagraph will be $2.49 with no free trial (due to server costs), limited to 3 pics per day initially, you can't create an account, and you can't look at photos.

Oh the humanity.

Might still buy it :-(

looks like I'll have to see if I can get someone to make an instagram account for me. Depressing

Edit: FFS, someone got my universal username and they aren't even using it. I can't even do a variation with an underscore either -.-

hadareud

The Translator
I don't know why the fuck I would (I haven't used Instagram in years and when I did, I didn't), but I bought it.

Uploaded 2 pictures that haven't been published in 20 minutes now.

Also, it's sort of pointless without being able to see others pictures.

Money well spent.

Milchjon

I don't know why the fuck I would (I haven't used Instagram in years and when I did, I didn't), but I bought it.

Uploaded 2 pictures that haven't been published in 20 minutes now.

Also, it's sort of pointless without being able to see others pictures.

Money well spent.

There's a Chrome Extension that's basically a full fledged Instagram apart from uploading.

Better than nothing. Barely.

giga

5MXV+

Bought.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yeah it seems there are a lot of folks having to wait ages for their photos to go up to Instagram with Instagraph and it is uploading other people's photos.

I still remember this discussion I had in the Windows 8 thread, about how first party apps aren't necessary, because of 3rd party apps.

Yeeeeeeeeeah.

I still remember this discussion I had in the Windows 8 thread, about how first party apps aren't necessary, because of 3rd party apps.

Yeeeeeeeeeah.

It's fine if it's like twitter and the APIs are fairly open and some kind of warning is done before shifts in apis. When stuff is closed or rapidly iterated on like Youtube and Instagram, 1st party becomes necessary. From what I've seen of Youtube on Android--I much prefer Metrotube's interface, but the android client is more reliable because it's not going to do the twice-quarterly break.

MCD

It's fine if it's like twitter and the APIs are fairly open and some kind of warning is done before shifts in apis. When stuff is closed or rapidly iterated on like Youtube and Instagram, 1st party becomes necessary. From what I've seen of Youtube on Android--I much prefer Metrotube's interface, but the android client is more reliable because it's not going to do the twice-quarterly break.

I have used the Youtube client on my friend's Galaxy (Or was it a Note? I don't recall) and the video quality alone beats every 3rd party solution out there.

Seriously, WP users are getting fucked left and right with these apps.

JOE BELFIORE SAVE US

#2instawithlove

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have used the Youtube client on my friend's Galaxy (Or was it a Note? I don't recall) and the video quality alone beats every 3rd party solution out there.

Seriously, WP users are getting fucked left and right with these apps.

JOE BELFIORE SAVE US

#2instawithlove

I don't know, Metrotube has HD video and a sweet interface, I like it a lot. Google messes with them from time to time, but they get stuff back up fairly quickly.

Gannd

Banned
so basically, the profitable part of the market needs a redesign?

The OS is long in the tooth. Android and Windows Phone are both easier to use and don't get in my way like iOS did. I hate the way the UI is designed on iOS being based on "real" things IE: the tape deck for the podcast app, GameCenter, the notification center is still clunky as hell. App switching isn't intuitive and getting rid of apps I'm not using or wanted is a pain in the butt. Should I go on?

dLMN8R

Wow yeah, no way am I touching Instagraph with a 10-foot poll. Things are bound to go wrong when they're caching user credentials and hopefully using the right ones to post the right pictures to the right accounts....

yikes.

MCD

Wow yeah, no way am I touching Instagraph with a 10-foot poll. Things are bound to go wrong when they're caching user credentials and hopefully using the right ones to post the right pictures to the right accounts....

yikes.

You gotta wonder how it got approved in the first place.

giga

yikes.
Um. The entire point of the app is to post random photos to your account. That's why we're paying for it. It's a service for those of us, like me, who are often too busy to take pictures of food or self portraits and apply filters to them. The app has already paid for itself and then some.

My only wish is for it to increase the limit to 5 a day. Charge me $10 a month if you must.

yikes.

as a man who works in security...yikes indeedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom