• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTI Guy

For some reason the integrated facebook chat no longer works on my 920 after the update.

Anyone else having that issue?

Not wanting to start a flame war in the Xperia thread, so I'll just ask this here, seeing as I currently own an 8X...

Anyway, I very briefly used an Xperia Z in-store the other day and the first thing I noticed was occasional spluttering and stuttering in animations and whatnot (albeit very minor, but still evident, especially coming from WP). Is this something inherent to the OS, regardless of device? I'd assumed that current flagship smartphones would have a handle on this, but apparently not.

derFeef

For some reason the integrated facebook chat no longer works on my 920 after the update.

Anyone else having that issue?

that never worked really well for me, messages came half an hour late and some get eaten up. I stick to the app for messages.

kharma45

Not wanting to start a flame war in the Xperia thread, so I'll just ask this here, seeing as I currently own an 8X...

Anyway, I very briefly used an Xperia Z in-store the other day and the first thing I noticed was occasional spluttering and stuttering in animations and whatnot (albeit very minor, but still evident, especially coming from WP). Is this something inherent to the OS, regardless of device? I'd assumed that current flagship smartphones would have a handle on this, but apparently not.

just Android being Android. Noticed the same thing myself when using the Z. Yet to try the HTC One or a GS4 but could be better on them or course.

Doesn't the Xperia Z have Sony UI skin on top of the OS? I have the One X and it does stutter but then again it's running the shitty HTC sense on top. Nexus 7 I have also does stutter occasionally and that thing run pure Google 4.2. (It did seems to be better since last update but Chrome to my surprise is pretty crappy experience on there).

Ragus

Banned

Maybe it was bloated with many apps running in the background? Galaxy Note 2, which I had used at a stand was so much slower than the one, that I'm using right now.

hadareud

The Translator
I've yet to use an Android device that doesn't have stutter and slowdown (S2, 3, One X, Desire HD, Galaxy Tab 2 etc). I'd say that the newer devices are better, but then the Galaxy Tab 2 with Jelly Bean really is quite horrible when it comes to this (also due to the unresponsive screen).

Never tried the Nexus 3 or 4 though.

Has there been some sort of update on the 620?

The reason I ask is because I've never noticed the letters separating the apps before. Maybe I'm going mad, but I know other parts of the OS have it, I've just never noticed it there before.

wp_ss_20130408_0001.png

Magni

Has there been some sort of update on the 620?

The reason I ask is because I've never noticed the letters separating the apps before. Maybe I'm going mad, but I know other parts of the OS have it, I've just never noticed it there before.

wp_ss_20130408_0001.png

Your pic is broken so I'm guessing you're talking about the app list? The letters pop up as soon as you hit a certain threshold, 40 apps installed IIRC.

Apparently, when messing around with my phone's camera, the shutter speed of my Lumia 900 can go as low as 1/4 while not in night mode. I was wondering why all my macro shots were blurry despite it being in focus in the preview.

I decided to set my phone to the table, and yup, sharp.

If only it had any image stabilization. I really should save up for a new phone anyway. The camera module on my 900 seems to be acting strange. This morning I was greeted with just alternating scanlines and nothing else on one photo. Right now, it's just one photo. I'm afraid of the day that it'll become every photo...

Apparently, when messing around with my phone's camera, the shutter speed of my Lumia 900 can go as low as 1/4 while not in night mode. I was wondering why all my macro shots were blurry despite it being in focus in the preview.

I decided to set my phone to the table, and yup, sharp.

If only it had any image stabilization. I really should save up for a new phone anyway. The camera module on my 900 seems to be acting strange. This morning I was greeted with just alternating scanlines and nothing else on one photo. Right now, it's just one photo. I'm afraid of the day that it'll become every photo...

I know you are in love with 900 camera, but I am telling you it is one of the worst smartphone camera I have experience.

920 camera daylight seems to be better with the last firmware but the shutter speed is still pretty slow compare to iPhone. It still take a second or so for the camera to snap picture, probably the most glaring annoyance for me on 920. Everything else is almost perfect now.

I know you are in love with 900 camera, but I am telling you it is one of the worst smartphone camera I have experience.

920 camera daylight seems to be better with the last firmware but the shutter speed is still pretty slow compare to iPhone. It still take a second or so for the camera to snap picture, probably the most glaring annoyance for me on 920. Everything else is almost perfect now.

Did you mean the shutter lag? Remember that shutter lag can be minimized with pre-focusing by half-pressing the shutter first.

Sometimes I feel the limitations of my phone's camera hard after fooling around with an APS-C camera. I still try to make the most of my camera anyway. Thank goodness for the camera being not on true full auto - I'd consider the cameras on the Windows Phone to be on Program unless scene modes are set.

Perhaps I should wait for a bit until the next Lumia comes out. I think I'm a bit spoiled by large-sensor cameras, though, so... I guess another PureView is in order.

Those of you that DLed the Beta app are going to get a massive overhaul in the next couple of days :). I'm hoping to finish up work tonight and submit it to the store. It takes a day or so after submission to make the 'update' available

Lens integration so the camera no longer sucks, much better mapping.
Time displaying correctly on the photos/notes.
Setting to stop the constant three hour reminder ;)
Better icons
Splash Screen
New 'LifeStream' feature. Check it out, I think it's really really really cool. Let me have feedback on this part, to see what you like about it, and what you don't like about it.

When it comes out, check out the lens integration and give me feedback on that too :). The camera change is HUUUUGE. So much better. The hope is for people that seriously would like to use this as a digital diary/journal, that they use the lifeLogger Lens instead of the normal Camera app.

derFeef

Astronomy Hub is a free and neat app for space geeks. It can look at bit messy because it uses the APOD as background image (can't see shit with the one from today). It's not very "scientific" and detailed but can be fun to browse.

Cheers for the replies, guys. That stutter really is kinda inexcusable for me. Was planning to try an Android flagship device next, but if WP throws another gorgeous piece of hardware my way, I may just stay put. I'm a pretty low-level app user, so it's all much of a muchness.

I knew I wasn't crazy!

Dear Nokia, Please Reboot Your Phone Designs

FmsT9pp.jpg

The Nokia N9 brought a revolutionary and bold design to mobile phones. As our review stated: “We definitely like the looks of the N9 and appreciate that nothing on the phone reminds us of the iPhone, HTC devices or any other generic design principle OEMs apply and use nowadays. It is fresh and it is unique.”

All this was happening in November of 2011, 17 months ago. Fast forward to today and Nokia has been using and reusing the design of the N9 like a champ. It’s really hard to tell which of the two companies did a better job at recycling designs, Nokia or Samsung.

Maybe I’m too picky and you’ll dismiss this, maybe you’ll resonate. It is really up to you, but in any case, answer just one question: how many subsequent phones reusing the same design is OK and when is it too much already?
http://pocketnow.com/2013/04/09/nokia-phone-design-needs-reboot

I somehow really want a Windows Phone Nokia now after using W8 for a while...

I don't get why people say in that comment section that 520 doesn't look like 920. Looks like exactly the same but smaller to me? Which is great.

Fjolle

PG2G

1080p support is nice, hopefully the display resolution wars have ended and we don't see higher resolutions pop up on the competitors side anytime soon. Support for new SoC is very good too.

Would be nice if the EOS was a true next Gen device.

And Blue in early 2014 would be pretty disappointing, but I won't complain too much if the next couple updates include stuff to tide us over.

Milchjon

so basically, the profitable part of the market needs a redesign?

:-D

Yes.

The fact that something is successful doesn't excuse it being ugly as fuck.

Of course that's only my opinion as a internet whiner. If I was a company trying to make money, I'd make lowest common denominator shit too

:-D

Yes.

The fact that something is successful doesn't excuse it being ugly as fuck.

Of course that's only my opinion as a internet whiner. If I was a company trying to make money, I'd make lowest common denominator shit too
Why is iOS ugly as fuck and why does it need a redesign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom