• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

You guys act like you never used any third party apps before oath was popular. I'm pretty sure early Google reader apps took your password, most multi client im apps that support push notifications, etc...

stktt

Banned
You guys act like you never used any third party apps before oath was popular. I'm pretty sure early Google reader apps took your password, most multi client im apps that support push notifications, etc...

Third party IM applications don't send my messages to random people.

I actually want to try a WP8 device just to try this awesome random photo uploads game. It could be hilarious and awesome depending on what random images show up!

I just sent everyone who's beta-ing a huge email about fixes in the (now live) update, and future plans/fixes for the app. Some of your previous photo bits may be broken, but it's a change for the better. Much much better.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I have used the Youtube client on my friend's Galaxy (Or was it a Note? I don't recall) and the video quality alone beats every 3rd party solution out there.

Seriously, WP users are getting fucked left and right with these apps.

JOE BELFIORE SAVE US

#2instawithlove
Not sure how that's possible when the 3rd party app I use on iOS let's me explicitly choose from 1080p, 720p, etc. I agree with the other post that with good APIs we can have apps way better than anything first party, look at stuff like tweetbot and alienblue. The problem is that services are locking their stuff down lately.

derFeef

Until now I was pretty happy with the official FB app on WP8 but as I now use groups more, it seems rather lackluster. Outdated messages and notifications, not updating correctly... -.-

Milchjon

Until now I was pretty happy with the official FB app on WP8 but as I now use groups more, it seems rather lackluster. Outdated messages and notifications, not updating correctly... -.-

I usually just use the web app and the integrated functions.

The main problem for me is that especially with a bad data connection, loading the web app doesn't seem to be slower or more unreliable than updating the app...

Of course, I never really need the notifications.

hadareud

The Translator

Yeah, it's really not very good at all. Poo, even. Especially when it comes to notifications. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes I get one and nothing is there when I open the app but when I go on the website there is.

Of course that could also be down in part to facebook itself, seeing as I keep getting reminder emails that I have notifications pending when I don't.

I prefer to just use the people hub. Yeah, it has little functionality, but it's a nice way to look at your feed and to see other's pictures. Notifications don't really work in there either most of the time, though.

PG2G

Didn't Microsoft announce an overhauled Facebook app for WP8?

I believe someone asked Elop about it and he said they were aware of the issues but nothing has been confirmed about a redesigned app.

I'm looking forward to that new Foursquare though, hope it comes soon.

I believe someone asked Elop about it and he said they were aware of the issues but nothing has been confirmed about a redesigned app.

I'm looking forward to that new Foursquare though, hope it comes soon.

I'm pretty sure they announced it at the Windows Phone 8 event (the cringeworthy one, with Alba and Joe's kids).

e:

Microsoft has just unveiled a new Facebook app for the Windows Phone 8 platform. The refreshed app takes advantage of a new feature in Windows Phone 8 that lets users access Facebook calendar events and notifications right from their lock screens. The app can also put photos from Facebook right on the lock screen. Microsoft also claims that the new Facebook app features greatly improved performance over the older editions.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/...new-facebook-twitter-apps-for-windows-phone-8

frontieruk

ok I've decided my bus home is full of non conformists, looking around I see 2xlumia 800s, a z10, couple of holds, but iPhone or android handsets. Odd.

PG2G

I'm pretty sure they announced it at the Windows Phone 8 event (the cringeworthy one, with Alba and Joe's kids).

The comments talk about using some WP8 features, it is safe to assume that version is the one we've been using for months. It is essentially the same app with better performance and support for some of WP8 features.

kazinova

I'd be angry about the $1.99 spent on Instagraph if it wasn't money I got for free from Bing.

As of right now I'm frustrated but I've never used Instagram so I'm not desperate for an implementation anytime soon. However the law of maximum irony dictates that the official Instagram app will drop the same day Instagraph gets their shit working.

Milchjon

Perfect. More time for Google Drive and Apple's Pages to completely take over the market.

Judging from the current quality of Google Drive, I don't think they'll be able to catch up til 2014...

I use Docs for short notes that have to be accessible everywhere and collaborative work. Anything beyond that is junk, from my experience. Spreadsheets and presentations were borderline unusable last time I tried.

PG2G

Office for iOS got pushed to October 2014(!) according to the Verge.

Is MS trying to lose every single war they're fighting?

I'm actually glad they're doing this. It would be silly to put everything on Android and iOS without giving Windows 8/RT tablets some time to try and infiltrate the corporate market.

Microsoft just opened up Surface to volume orders a couple weeks ago.

Humm... Noone posted the latest market share "analysis"?

We need to keep track of his rollercoaster.
SavedPicture-20134417945.png

How dare you hotlink from WMPU, the best blog on the net, and steal their clicks?

Do it properly.

Qj0kKts.jpg

Fjolle

Yea.. I use firefox. I was just lazy. Didn't know that you couldn't hotlink from the best blog in the universe.

I tried a 620 at a store yesterday, and it seemed samsung-ish. Flexed way too much when i pressed the screen. Are all of them like that or was i just unlucky with the demo model?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yea.. I use firefox. I was just lazy. Didn't know that you couldn't hotlink from the best blog in the universe.

I tried a 620 at a store yesterday, and it seemed samsung-ish. Flexed way too much when i pressed the screen. Are all of them like that or was i just unlucky with the demo model?
They're all pretty much like it because the entire back shell is changeable.

Zeknurn

http://www.zdnet.com/meeting-in-the...mini-surfaces-and-maxi-win-phones-7000013890/

With Windows Phone 8, Microsoft moved to a screen-resolution limit to control which Windows variant OEMs could install. Currently, the Windows Phone 8 operating system supports a maximum resolution of 720p. Putting the OS on larger screens would make the tiled UI look worse, some have argued.

But, as the Verge noted earlier this week, it looks like Microsoft is poised to change this, and will be adding support for 1080p with an update to the Windows Phone 8 operating system later this year.

One of my contacts confirmed that, as the Verge reported, the so-called "GDR3" (General Distribution Release 3) Windows Phone 8 update is where Microsoft will make this change. My contact said GDR3 will add support for five- to six-inch devices with 1080p support. Along with the higher resolution, GDR3 also could include changes in the start screen and core Windows Phone 8 apps, such as possibly adding a third column of apps in the start screen, my source added.

Three columns? Game changer.

Milchjon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom