• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazinova

Number 1, must fix, bug in WP8. The GPS location staying on if I so much as look at the Bing Maps, Nokia Maps or Nokia Drive apps. I thought reverting to Bing Maps would solve my GPS problems. But even that app leaves my location on and torches my battery.

PLEASE FIX ASAP MS!

Man, it's amazing how off the mark all tech journalists are on the Lumia 920 versus other phones.

A friend of mine is finally upgrading to a space phone and despite my very unbiased explanation of the drawbacks of a Windows Phone he still wants to get a Lumia 920. And that's with a significant other that is a pretty consistent Apple fan and an iPhone 4 owner.

Just look how many of us want the 920 despite The Verge, Engadget, Paul Thurrott et al pimping the HTC 8X over it. There's really something to this phone that they all seem to not get. I hope this all points towards a real ground swell of support that drives more developer support.

So say we all.
I can agree with this. I don't know why, but I am finding my self loving my 920 more and more as time goes on. I'm also not seeing what everyone is saying about the lack of an app ecosystem. I mean, I found and have at least 50 apps on my phone with about 25 games, all of them amazing. I'm definitely not regretting my purchase.

frontieruk

I can agree with this. I don't know why, but I am finding my self loving my 920 more and more as time goes on. I'm also not seeing what everyone is saying about the lack of an app ecosystem. I mean, I found and have at least 50 apps on my phone with about 25 games, all of them amazing. I'm definitely not regretting my purchase.

bu..bu..bu.. instagram!

VertPin

Can anyone tell me which phone is the best? Money is no option. Been looking at the 920. I can upgrade in April. (coming off of my third 4S, all hardware issues, just my luck.)

frontieruk

Can anyone tell me which phone is the best? Money is no option. Been looking at the 920. I can upgrade in April. (coming off of my third 4S, all hardware issues, just my luck.)

Nokia 6110.

if you mean WP8 it's probably the 920 hardware feature and app wise, but many people prefer the 8x for comfort

maeh2k

Right now the 920 is really the best phone if you don't mind the size. Nokias exclusive apps and the camera are amazing.

Heretic

So my phone has died on me overnight twice. Both times it was not plugged in but at 100% battery life. Any ideas why?

Side note: My phone lasts me the whole day with no problems. I plug in my other phone during the night and leave my 920 unplugged.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My phone died too. The old fashion way:

picture000.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Now that 8S is supposed to have WiFi always on I really hope we get it on the other phones ASAP.

I love the 920 aside from the hardware and software glitches. I,hope that shit gets sorted.

frontieruk

So my phone has died on me overnight twice. Both times it was not plugged in but at 100% battery life. Any ideas why?

Side note: My phone lasts me the whole day with no problems. I plug in my other phone during the night and leave my 920 unplugged.

when you say died did it start up again or stay off?
if it rebooted thats the Windows Fault the patch in December is for, if it didn't not sure.

My phone died too. The old fashion way:

picture000.jpg

that's an interesting way to justify an upgrade ;)

Ouch, Van.

Article on the Keyboard:http://blogs.windows.com/windows_ph...-secrets-of-the-windows-phone-8-keyboard.aspx

How did we build this dictionary? You helped us! Remember the little checkbox during phone set up (and in Settings) that talks about helping us improve text suggestions and build a better product? When someone gives us permission, we collect anonymous typing data—free of passwords, names, numbers, and other personal info—to help create and test Word Flow.
:)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
that's an interesting way to justify an upgrade ;)

Upgrade to what? That's the 920. I'm so bummed right now. My toddler son pulled the sofa cover and it hit the tile. It's the third time my phone hits the tile, and the previous two times it only had very minor bumps. It must have fell awkwardly, the screen just shattered. I left my cover at work yesterday. Damn, I'm depressed.

Troll

Banned
Upgrade to what? That's the 920. I'm so bummed right now. My toddler son pulled the sofa cover and it hit the tile. It's the third time my phone hits the tile, and the previous two times it only had very minor bumps. It must have fell awkwardly, the screen just shattered. I left my cover at work yesterday. Damn, I'm depressed.

Damn, that sucks. Here is a way to share your Cinemagraphs btw.

e: Here is an example of a problem with the Translate app.

So, it thinks the Italian word for apple is apple when translating from English, but if you already know the word for apple in Italian it translates it to English perfectly. I'm not liking this.

maeh2k

Hope they can repair it for a reasonable fee.

Thats really one of the downsides to (expensive) smartphones. No matter how well they are built, if you drop it just the wrong way, they break. My mothers Optimus 7 survived being dropped into the toilet as well as a number of drops and apart from a couple minor scrapes you couldn't tell. Then one day it falls out of a pocket and onto ids corner (on a sidewalk) and the screen shatters.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping notifications worked better (for games and the me tile primarily). Maybe with the update in February?

maeh2k

I still have a WP7, I want to get the best WP8 for games. I should be waiting for the Samsung ATIV S right?

There aren't any big differences between the phones when it comes to games. The Lumia 820, Lumia 920, HTC 8X, Samsung Ativ S all have pretty much the same internals. I think the 8X doesn't have a gyro; not sure about the Lumia 820.

So for games you can pretty much choose freely between those phones. The Ativ has a slightly bigger screen than the Lumia 920, but with the Lumias you get access to exclusive apps. So Nokia gets some of the games first. I belive Nokia has had contracts with EA and Zynga. I'd go with a Lumia for games. The 8X is a bit more pocketable and the Ativ is bigger, yet lighter than the 920 and has SD card support, whereas the 920 and the 8X don;t support SD cards.

Pachimari

Alright, I'll open my Nokia Lumia 800. It have been sitting there for some days now. Hopefully Windows Phone 7.5 plays well together with Windows 8 so it'll be easy to transfer music, photos and medias.

If I set it up with my Live account, will it automatically let me see my calendar, contacts and messages which are on my phone on my Windows 8 desktop?

frontieruk

Alright, I'll open my Nokia Lumia 800. It have been sitting there for some days now. Hopefully Windows Phone 7.5 plays well together with Windows 8 so it'll be easy to transfer music, photos and medias.

If I set it up with my Live account, will it automatically let me see my calendar, contacts and messages which are on my phone on my Windows 8 desktop?

you'll need to install zune

yes to the calendar, and contacts, messages not so sure, but then it didn't work to well with windows phone 8 either...

Pachimari

you'll need to install zune

yes to the calendar, and contacts, messages not so sure, but then it didn't work to well with windows phone 8 either...
Zune on Windows Phone or on Windows 8? I thought I could just transfer with SkyDrive but maybe that's just few documents and photos.

frontieruk

Zune on Windows Phone or on Windows 8? I thought I could just transfer with SkyDrive but maybe that's just few documents and photos.

Documents and photos will sync up, I'm not sure you may be able to stream music from skydrive now, but I don't think so, so you'll need zune installed on windows 8 to put your music/videos on the device...

I'm sure someone will confirm if I'm right...

Troll

Banned
So, now that it's Xbox Music I can't use it with my Mac at all? Before I would be able to use Zune.net and stream songs.

Hmm its kind of stupid that it shows the last app as "paused" like its music, so if you press it thinking it will resume your music and it opens Engadget or some other app.. :|
It probably because of video, Bloomberg one show up in my Xbox hub also.

Pachimari

Viber
Spotify
Post DK Track & Trace
Dropbox
Netflix
Facebook
Metro Tube
Podcasts!
Plex
Markedplads
Lyrics
ConnectivityShortcuts
SkyDrive
Next Gen Reader
Amazing Weather
SmartGlass

Any other apps worth getting for Windows Phone 7.5?

Everdred

Do we still get the ten free song credits per month? I can't find it anywhere...
Nope, I found that out when I renewed for a whole year. If you have a continuous subscription from long ago you are grandfathered in but if you took a break you don't. I took 3 days off and then renewed for a full year assuming I would get 10 songs a month. NOPE.

Troll

Banned
Nope, I found that out when I renewed for a whole year. If you have a continuous subscription from long ago you are grandfathered in but if you took a break you don't. I took 3 days off and then renewed for a full year assuming I would get 10 songs a month. NOPE.

... Without the song credits and not being able to stream on my Mac, I just can't think of a reason not to cancel this and sign up for Spotify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom