• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

I'm aware of that, the question you were responding to only mentioned a calendar which would auto-update anyway without the work around for multiple calendars, thus why I mentioned it.

Doh, I still haven't read his post carefully then. I'd posted about having problems syncing multiple calendars to WP and when he quoted me I presumed he meant he was having the same issue, my bad.

frontieruk

I can't have my google calendar sync on Windows Phone 7? So that if I change something on my iPhone 5, then it will also have changed on my Lumia 800.

Your post is still valid as it provides a solution to a problem, just not the original question ;)

There was talk about multiple calendars im sure, just cba to look.

MCD

Can't believe there is no picture password in WP8 after MS pimped it hard in Windows 8 lol.

Can't believe there is no picture password in WP8 after MS pimped it hard in Windows 8 lol.

I was thinking, isn't a picture password actually incredibly unsecure? Especially in the examples given in the TV ads? There is some kind of logical connection between the password and the picture on the screen, someone with your tablet just has to figure out what that connection is.

Edit: but it would actually be pretty cool to have it on WP8

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Even though windows 8 and windows phone may look similar they are still very much different and you can tell were developed by two different teams. Hopefully they bring them closer together going forward.

Heretic

I was thinking, isn't a picture password actually incredibly unsecure? Especially in the examples given in the TV ads? There is some kind of logical connection between the password and the picture on the screen, someone with your tablet just has to figure out what that connection is.

Edit: but it would actually be pretty cool to have it on WP8

You create your own pattern.

Yes obviously you create your own pattern, I'm just saying that when you create your own pattern there is going to be a logical connection between the picture you choose and the pattern you create. You could just make a random pattern, but that kind of defeats the purpose of choosing a specific background and makes it more likely you will forget. And plus Microsoft is encouraging people to choose patterns with a connection to the picture they choose by only showing such examples in their ad.

wp_ss_20121208_0001.png
So I think I'm getting a grasp of XNA Coding on Windows Phone after a day of work. So far I have a little ship flying around the screen.

...Now to work on AI, Levels, Campaign, Making more Artwork, ect. XD

Yes obviously you create your own pattern, I'm just saying that when you create your own pattern there is going to be a logical connection between the picture you choose and the pattern you create. You could just make a random pattern, but that kind of defeats the purpose of choosing a specific background and makes it more likely you will forget. And plus Microsoft is encouraging people to choose patterns with a connection to the picture they choose by only showing such examples in their ad.

A picture password is great for artists because they tend to hide things inside of their artwork, most of it going unnoticed. They could even set it to the 3 parts of the photo which were a bitch to make/perfect. Also I put a picture password on my PC and its extremely picky at how close you have to be to the original gestures. You have to literally hit within a few pixels each press or it refuses to log in.

Heretic

So I think I'm getting a grasp of XNA Coding on Windows Phone after a day of work. So far I have a little ship flying around the screen.

...Now to work on AI, Levels, Campaign, Making more Artwork, ect. XD

A picture password is great for artists because they tend to hide things inside of their artwork, most of it going unnoticed. They could even set it to the 3 parts of the photo which were a bitch to make/perfect. Also I put a picture password on my PC and its extremely picky at how close you have to be to the original gestures. You have to literally hit within a few pixels each press or it refuses to log in.

good job! can't wait to play it!

kharma45

Anyone found with WP8 that the WiFi killing is an awful lot more aggressive than with WP7?

sucks that keep alive isn't available for WP8 until MS push out a fix.

Everdred

So after going back from the 920 to my Samsung Focus because I was disappointed with WP8, I install a 7.8 ROM. I've never been happier with Windows Phone. 7.8 is the perfect mobile OS for me. Bluetooth issues fixed, custom battery meter, it recognizes my phone as a Lumia so I get all of Nokia's apps. I can still use the Zune software, and my Zune pass works. Will be able to use this phone for another couple years.

They really messed up with WP8, the removal of Zune for music management makes one of the greatest strengths about WP, a weakness. Add on the bluetooth issues and it's even worse. I shouldn't have to use a custom ROM to make the OS good again.

thirty

Banned
So after going back from the 920 to my Samsung Focus because I was disappointed with WP8, I install a 7.8 ROM. I've never been happier with Windows Phone. 7.8 is the perfect mobile OS for me. Bluetooth issues fixed, custom battery meter, it recognizes my phone as a Lumia so I get all of Nokia's apps. I can still use the Zune software, and my Zune pass works. Will be able to use this phone for another couple years.

They really messed up with WP8, the removal of Zune for music management makes one of the greatest strengths about WP, a weakness. Add on the bluetooth issues and it's even worse. I shouldn't have to use a custom ROM to make the OS good again.
i wouldn't mind losing zune so much if xbox music syncing between devices and playlist management on phone were better, but they aren't so yeah i kinda agree with you just maybe not to the point where i'd switch to 7.8.

lol, switching from a 920 to a Focus...just cuz of of sync software. Oh please.

thirty

Banned
amazon has the TDK A33 on sale for $149 (normally $199). it's a compact portable bluetooth rugged speaker with 2 drivers and a subwoofer. i just ordered it and am returning my nokia 360 speaker. the nokia is nice but for the same price, you get a unit with stereo sound and more bass. the TDK unit though is only rated with 6 hours of battery life compared to 20 for the nokia.

41buGlh8%2BLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Everdred

It was hardly the only reason. I already owned the Focus, so I saved myself $100 by returning it. I get the ability to upgrade at a different time down the road without any penalty.

WP8 is barely an upgrade. Awful sync software is just the beginning. What can you tell me about WP8 that makes it an impressive upgrade from 7.8?

I've been a huge proponent of what MS has been doing recently. I was extremely excited for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. I talked a lot of my friends into switching to Windows Phone and I still prefer it over all other mobile OSs but MS did a poor job with everything. Windows 8 and WP8 were both rushed to market, they both have problems. MS was simply trying to do too much at one time. Just like WP7, we have to wait for the first big update to make it what it should have been to begin with.

MCD

It was hardly the only reason. I already owned the Focus, so I saved myself $100 by returning it. I get the ability to upgrade at a different time down the road without any penalty.

WP8 is barely an upgrade. Awful sync software is just the beginning. What can you tell me about WP8 that makes it an impressive upgrade from 7.8?

I've been a huge proponent of what MS has been doing recently. I was extremely excited for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. I talked a lot of my friends into switching to Windows Phone and I still prefer it over all other mobile OSs but MS did a poor job with everything. Windows 8 and WP8 were both rushed to market, they both have problems. MS was simply trying to do too much at one time. Just like WP7, we have to wait for the first big update to make it what it should have been to begin with.

More languages is worth it alone. But I agree, WP8 is a rush job.

It was aimed more at devs instead of us and they still managed to fuck it up by giving out the SDK to a select few.

Bullza2o

Anyone found with WP8 that the WiFi killing is an awful lot more aggressive than with WP7?

sucks that keep alive isn't available for WP8 until MS push out a fix.

Yeah and I have to wait around 15 seconds after unlocking the phone to connect to WiFi.

More languages is worth it alone. But I agree, WP8 is a rush job.

It was aimed more at devs instead of us and they still managed to fuck it up by giving out the SDK to a select few.

You don't need a new kernel to support new languages.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So after going back from the 920 to my Samsung Focus because I was disappointed with WP8, I install a 7.8 ROM. I've never been happier with Windows Phone. 7.8 is the perfect mobile OS for me. .

I'm back to a Samsung Focus as well, hook a brother up with a link to that 7.8 ROM plz. And man, third party apps are super slow on this thing, but going back to Zune sync for my podcasts and Zune Pass music feels SO GOOD. The only sucky part is that this phone won't recognize the memory card no matter how many time I tried.

Everdred

I'm back to a Samsung Focus as well, hook a brother up with a link to that 7.8 ROM plz. And man, third party apps are super slow on this thing, but going back to Zune sync for my podcasts and Zune Pass music feels SO GOOD. The only sucky part is that this phone won't recognize the memory card no matter how many time I tried.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1905225

Took me about an hour to get it working. Also, I have a 16gb sd card in mine. Samsung class 2. Worked before and after the rom. Maybe its the class? This phone is super picky about them.

Edit: favorite part is the battery percentage shows up where the battery meter usually is.

Razdek

Banned
Any Canadians thinking of picking up an HTC 8S? It doesn't look bad for $279 off contract and looks lime it will work on all networks. Might pick one up to play with until the new WP8 devices get announced at CES.

thirty

Banned
Here are instructions on how to create a playlists on your phone. What the instructions don't tell you is how to clear your "now playing" queue. You can clear your now playing queue by simply playing a non music media file, like a video, that will clear all music from your now playing queue. Once you understand how to do that then you can pick individual songs, add to now playing, then save as playlist. To add songs, play your playlist, select additional songs, then save as playlist. Management, overall, is still poor as you simply can't highlight any song and "add to playlist." You also can't delete songs from your playlists, you'll need to delete and redo your entire playlist if you wanna do that.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/music/create-a-playlist

Create a playlist

You can create custom playlists of your favorite music right on your Windows Phone and then save them for later.

To create a playlist
On Start, tap Music + Videos , flick to Collection, and then tap Music.

Tap and hold an artist, album, song, genre, or even an existing playlist, then tap Add to now playing to add the music to a temporary queue.

To create the playlist, you'll need to open the now playing queue by doing one of the following:

On Start, tap Music + Videos , flick to History, then tap the album art of what's currently playing (or paused).

Press either the Volume Up or Volume Down button on the side of your phone. In the music control that appears at the top of the screen, tap the artist name.

Under the album art, tap the song that's currently playing (or paused). This will take you to the now playing queue.

Tap Save , enter a name for your playlist, and then tap Enter .

Tip
You can tap the Select button to choose several songs, and then add all of them to the now playing queue at the same time.

To delete a playlist
On Start, tap Music + Videos , flick to Collection, and then tap Music.

Flick to Playlists, tap and hold the playlist you want to delete, tap Delete, and then tap Yes.

Razdek

Banned
Here are instructions on how to create a playlists on your phone. What the instructions don't tell you is how to clear your "now playing" queue. You can clear your now playing queue by simply playing a media file, like a video, that will clear all music from your now playing queue. Once you understand how to do that then you can pic individual songs, add to now playing, then save as playlist. To add songs, play your playlist, select additional songs, then save as playlist. Management, overall, is still poor as you simply can't highlight any song and "add to playlist." You also can't delete songs from your playlists, you'll need to delete and redo your entire playlist if you wanna do that.

Wow that is so intuitive, they sure did a great job on making playlists easy and fun for everyone /sarcasm

Wow that is so intuitive, they sure did a great job on making playlists easy and fun for everyone /sarcasm
It's the most convoluted way to make playlist, I have to play with it for awhile to understand it (and that with me using Windows Phone for the past 2 years). Imagine trying to teach that to someone new to the OS. I told him to just go sync with iTunes.

Here are instructions on how to create a playlists on your phone. What the instructions don't tell you is how to clear your "now playing" queue. You can clear your now playing queue by simply playing a non music media file, like a video, that will clear all music from your now playing queue. Once you understand how to do that then you can pick individual songs, add to now playing, then save as playlist. To add songs, play your playlist, select additional songs, then save as playlist. Management, overall, is still poor as you simply can't highlight any song and "add to playlist." You also can't delete songs from your playlists, you'll need to delete and redo your entire playlist if you wanna do that.

This has to be some kind of joke. I would return any phone which made it this hard for me to make playlists yesterday. My phone is my music player, something basic like a playlist should be simple, intuitive, and flawless.

I love Windows Phone but I am not going to give them free pass, they completely fuck up Windows Phone 8. I perfectly understand his reasoning, it is not just sync software (which still boggle my mind how they went from one of the best sync option to the shittiest), it's also buggy software especially Bluetooth, constant freezing rebooting. If I have to rely on Bluetooth I would returned the phone also.

amazon has the TDK A33 on sale for $149 (normally $199). it's a compact portable bluetooth rugged speaker with 2 drivers and a subwoofer. i just ordered it and am returning my nokia 360 speaker. the nokia is nice but for the same price, you get a unit with stereo sound and more bass. the TDK unit though is only rated with 6 hours of battery life compared to 20 for the nokia.

41buGlh8%2BLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's so .. well rugged looking. I don't know if I want that on my nightstand.

I love Windows Phone but I am not going to give them free pass, they completely fuck up Windows Phone 8. I perfectly understand his reasoning, it is not just sync software (which still boggle my mind how they went from one of the best sync option to the shittiest), it's also buggy software especially Bluetooth, constant freezing rebooting. If I have to rely on Bluetooth I would returned the phone also.

Let's not go nuts.

MCD

I didn't try podcasts as I am not a music person but I did try this on my mom's phone. I bought her some Xbox games on the Us store which was not available on her region. I did not revert back though, I mean why bother when she will never look at the marketplace lol.

Shit worked.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Switched my region to US, downloaded Amazon Mobile, Nokia Music and Nokia ESPN and they all worked! :) Then I switched back my region to Canada and they are still working fine, which is awesome. Nokia music is pretty cool (I turned off my location in the Nokia Music settings to make sure it worked).

MCD

So it's only podcast? Hmm...

zorbsie, is your phone language set to United States English? Maybe that worth a try?

frontieruk

Been using my 920 for 4 days now or so, guess I'm lucky that I've not had any freezes or reboots yet.

Keep an eye on the web pages you have open, they should remain as is, if you open IE and get the homepage, you've had a reboot, same goes for music, it should be possible to resume from where you left off if you can't the phone's rebooted.

kharma45

Keep an eye on the web pages you have open, they should remain as is, if you open IE and get the homepage, you've had a reboot, same goes for music, it should be possible to resume from where you left off if you can't the phone's rebooted.

Yeah I've been keeping an eye out for stuff like that but no sign so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom