• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

1314 did fix the LTE bs issue with AT&T.

Pandora loads fast without the delays. LTE web browsing is faster than U-verse. Just like before 1308.

Nokia fixes things!

dLMN8R

Yeah, I was having tons of LTE problems the last couple weeks but the update today fixed everything. Might even be faster now than the original update 2 weeks ago.

Awesome that Nokia put out another update. Really loving the quick updates.

It would be nice if there were a way to have a link to the changelog after you update, or in the settings somewhere.

My phone did freeze after it did the update though. It was stuck on the screen of "We need to restart your phone to finish the update. Restarting in 10 seconds". Had to soft reset, but fine since.

That clock on the lock screen looks awesome. I usually charge my phone on the drive as I'm going to and leaving work (I have a car dock and use it to play music). Hopefully that won't be too much of a battery drain.

hadareud

The Translator
why are you giving third-parties your passwords? don't do that.

I didn't, don't worry.

I work in security and I'm not insane.

Having said that it wouldn't matter anyway, because of the way Instagraph works. You might as well give it to them in an email too.

That's why you should have strong, unique passwords for every site you use.

Yeah, I was having tons of LTE problems the last couple weeks but the update today fixed everything. Might even be faster now than the original update 2 weeks ago.

I never have issue with the last update in regard to LTE or 4G but I welcome any fix or optimization.

It's ok to admit you want to give the OS a try. Don't be scared, I made the Android->WP transition, you can too. :p

Huh? I never said I didn't ever want to TRY using Windows Phone. I am not however willing to spend any actual money on it, which is especially hard in the US where just looking at your carrier like you think you're shopping for a phone causes them to try and chain you to a 2-year contract on impulse.

However, I use a fair number of apps daily on my Note II which would make it impossible for me to leave Android even if I wanted to, which I don't. I'm also currently addicted to a card battle RPG game called Ayakashi: Ghost Guild which is only available for iOS and Android. I also own a large number of other Android games now which I'm not willing to throw away on a platform change. Also, my phone is my only music player now and we all know how great Windows Phone 8 is for use as a music playback platform or for media playback in general. I use Poweramp which is probably the best portable music player program of any kind I've ever used and I can't just give that up. Plus I have a music folder which is 33 GB on my Note II's microSD card, are there even any Windows Phone 8 devices which have microSD slots and can take 64 GB microSD cards?

So yes, while I would like to play around with Windows Phone for a week or even a month, there's just no feasible way that I could do it short of somebody giving me a phone, and even there I couldn't ever leave Android because of the functions I demand from my device. I'm not going to buy one straight up off contract for $500 to $700 just to play with. I'm on Verizon so someone would have to give me a phone compatible with that network. I actually would like to play around with a Blackberry Z10 as well but the same problems crop up there. Since I don't write for a phone review website I don't just have phones appearing on my doorstep for me to play around with, otherwise I would play with phones all day.

Yeah got the 920 sitting next to me now. Blue case isn't as good as normal cyan phone would be, but it's the best I could get ;_;

My network provider finally switched my SIM card over (7 days later...) and now I can send/receive calls from it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Plus I have a music folder which is 33 GB on my Note II's microSD card, are there even any Windows Phone 8 devices which have microSD slots and can take 64 GB microSD cards?

Not sure about verizon. Being on verizon makes it difficult to get a cheap wp8 device, like a Lumia 620 as a secondary phone. Cheapest way to jump into wp8. I have a Nexus One as my emergency backup phone and an ipad for ios. Don't chain yourself to one platform, it's silly (unless you can't afford it, and lack of funds is the biggest creator of fanboys). Also, all those apps and games you supposedly couldn't live without? You can, easily.

I prefer wp8, but I can be on any platform I want. I may get an n4 to replace my n1 soon, and it still won't be my primary phone. I have an upgrade this year and will be looking at all the flagships, but my preference for wp8 and my love of the 920's pureview camera gives Nokia an edge.

My 620 just popped up with an Update.Do we have a link to the changes or is it just a routine one?

Someone needs to create a variation of that WiiU image that has the console behind a window, except they need to replace the WiiU with a Rogers WP Device.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Getting timely updates ranks extremely high for me in terms of which platform and phone I buy. I was very disappointed in Samsung and their wp8 support, basically one, maybe two updates for the life of the phone. HTC is even worse, the Titan 2 my co worker owns is basically abandoned, which is a shame because the camera is fantastic and he likes the phone. It seems like we have a winner with the 920 and at&t. Lets see how quickly we get gdr2, 3 and blue. I'm expecting gdr 2 by June, gdr 3 by fall, and blue before this time next year. Of course, by then I'll have another phone, but that's a pretty good update schedule for folks who will have the device for the full 18-24 months.

hwalker84

Getting timely updates ranks extremely high for me in terms of which platform and phone I buy. I was very disappointed in Samsung and their wp8 support, basically one, maybe two updates for the life of the phone. HTC is even worse, the Titan 2 my co worker owns is basically abandoned, which is a shame because the camera is fantastic and he likes the phone. It seems like we have a winner with the 920 and at&t. Lets see how quickly we get gdr2, 3 and blue. I'm expecting gdr 2 by June, gdr 3 by fall, and blue before this time next year. Of course, by then I'll have another phone, but that's a pretty good update schedule for folks who will have the device for the full 18-24 months.

Yeah I'm a every year guy myself. Next AT&T Nokia Super WP8 device that comes out i'm all over it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really enjoying Greed City. Foursquare fans should definitely check it out. I do find it weird that you can check into locations that are near you, but you aren't actually at.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Next AT&T Nokia Super WP8 device that comes out i'm all over it.

If I had to bet, that is probably my next move as well. There are a few scenarios that could nullify that:

-The Nokia phone doesn't ship with 1080p, at least 32gb of storage, and a bad ass camera.

-Apple gets off their asses and completely revamps IOS with live tiles/active home screen, a more flat UI, and releases a phone with NFC and a better solution for low light pictures, plus a better battery.

If no phone entices me, I would just hang on to my upgrade and probably pick up the first Nokia Blue flagship released.

hadareud

The Translator
I'll wait and see.

But an improved screen with improved camera, bigger battery etc. would be impossible to turn down at the end of the year.

I only went for a 1 year contract, so it's going to be upgrade time come November.

Milchjon

http://m.wpcentral.com/why-lumia-720-520-windows-phones-sport-nokia-driv

Wow, I wasn't aware of this and it sucks.

Unlike on the 620, the HERE Drive apps on the 520 and 720 only give you access to the maps for a single country.

Using offline navigation with my 800 in a rental car in the US has saved me like $60, so that's real value lost on the 720/520.

And it doesn't even look like there's an option to upgrade to full access.

PS: Why does wpcentral.com think my desktop Chrome is a mobile browser?

hwalker84

If I had to bet, that is probably my next move as well. There are a few scenarios that could nullify that:

-The Nokia phone doesn't ship with 1080p, at least 32gb of storage, and a bad ass camera.

What if it has everything except 1080p? Lets say 32GB and 64GB versions revamped design. Best in class camera but still 768p?

I'll go Android before I ever jump into the Apple ecosystem.

hwalker84

http://m.wpcentral.com/why-lumia-720-520-windows-phones-sport-nokia-driv

Wow, I wasn't aware of this and it sucks.

Unlike on the 620, the HERE Drive apps on the 520 and 720 only give you access to the maps for a single country.

Using offline navigation with my 800 in a rental car in the US has saved me like $60, so that's real value lost on the 720/520.

And it doesn't even look like there's an option to upgrade to full access.

PS: Why does wpcentral.com think my desktop Chrome is a mobile browser?

Cause that link is a mobile link. Click the top right to change it to the desktop version.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What if it has everything except 1080p? Lets say 32GB and 64GB versions revamped design. Best in class camera but still 768p?

I'll go Android before I ever jump into the Apple ecosystem.

My next phone will be 1080p. Not because I think I need it, but because its now a standard for flagships going forward. All signs point to MS having that ready for oem's by fall, so I doubt Nokia's fall flagship won't tick that check box.

edit: if its a super sleek 4.3" aluminum sex symbol with pureview, then yeah, I'll take 720p at that size.

Bullza2o

I just updated my Lumia 920 to the latest firmware, and when it prompted me to reboot it froze. Had to soft reset (volume-down + power button for 10 seconds) and another manual reboot and now it seems fine.

Visual voicemail finally works again for me. Since sometime in December I'd get the message literally 3 days after the call; now after this update it's around 30 seconds.

hwalker84

I wonder by the time MS supports 1080p what's the next resolution they're late on. I hope they start moving with manufacturers on the latest tech. Whatever happened to supporting different chipsets?

Fjolle

I wonder by the time MS supports 1080p what's the next resolution they're late on. I hope they start moving with manufacturers on the latest tech. Whatever happened to supporting different chipsets?

Something about the manufacturers being able/having to develop their own drivers.. I think?

Or they're just lazy.

Thinking of buying a Lumia 520, but it doesn't seem much of an upgrade from my Omnia 7 apart from running WP8.

Hmmmm.... when do you think WP9 is out? Haha.

Tomcat

the viewing angles on 720 are amazing. Probably the best on any phone. Other than that is a bit better than the 620 but not having nokia here+ is not good either.

Saying it like that is a bit misleading though. Everyone on windows phone 8 should get 8.1, its just that 8.0 will no longer have support after July 2014

Guess I could have worded that better but that's what I was trying to say. WP8 support ends because all the WP8 devices will be on the next thing.

gDwtvtnl.jpg

Pick this up at local At&t store. They have it on sale for 25% off ($224), I told him it is still way too expensive, he said "Well then what do you think should be the price?". I told him how about 50% off, he said OK $150.00 then. He agree $299.99 is a bit steep. I wish it was Cyan but this is a carrier store, so everything they carry is black and for 50% off I am willing to take the boring black.

The speaker sound good and work really well with my Lumia 920. I wish the power cord is a bit longer and for the asking price of $299 that it should come with built in battery for portability. It sound better than my co-worker Jawbone box and so far it stream and play music perfectly via blu-tooth. Tap to pair also work perfectly.

Aside the short power cable, I wish Nokia would have app that take advantage of the accessories like they did with that charging stand.

gDwtvtnl.jpg

Pick this up at local At&t store. They have it on sale for 25% off ($224), I told him it is still way too expensive, he said "Well then what do you think should be the price?". I told him how about 50% off, he said OK $150.00 than. He agree $299.99 is a bit steep. I wish it was Cyan but this is phone carrier store, everything they carry is black and for 50% I am will take boring black.

The speaker sound good and work really well with my Lumia 920. I wish the power cord is a bit longer and for $299 that it should come with built in battery for portability. It sound better than my co-worker Jawbone box and so far it stream and play music perfectly via blu-tooth. Tap to pair also work perfectly.

Aside the short power cable, I wish Nokia would have app that take advantage of the accessories like they did with that charging stand.

Bartering at its finest. Nice Job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom