• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

So Outlook.com just notified me that it can't sync with my gmail account now. Good bye gmail account!

Edit: Still works on my 920 though.

MCD

http://dirtybit.no/funrun.html

So my family asked me about this game and since I love annoying devs, I decided to email them regarding WP8 support and here is their reply:

We'd like to make Windows Phone support, but right now we just don't have enough time to get it done. Hopefully, we'll get a version out sometime in the future.

Regards,
Lars
dirtyBit Support Team

Not enough time. Joe Belfiore why do you do this?

MCD

I annoy devs too and always get the answer, "you aren't the first to ask about an WP version. let me ask my team and we'll get back to you."

His team probably laughed at the thought lol.

And I just updated my Lumia 620. Yup, update really fixed the multitouch issue. Butter smooth now.

MCD

So this extra storage system thingy...

HTC and Samsung not getting it? Because that would suck.

Shit cleared out 700mb like a boss.

clav

I have a friend who owns the AT&T Titan that is stuck on 7720.

What is the correct procedure to update this phone to 7.8?

Zune keeps saying it's up to date.

The disconnect trick doesn't work.

This phone fucking sucks btw. I thought Microsoft would be taking care of the force update to 7.8?

Tomcat

moooar-tiles.jpg

good or bad?

Milchjon

One of the main reasons why I liked Metro was the clarity and how non cluttered it was. Almost serene.

If they keep on making it ever more messy, I'll just go with Facebook Home :p

maeh2k

If they do it, they might do it like in Windows 8, where it depends on the display size as well as resolution how the start screen is displayed. So you wouldn't necessarily get a ton of tiny tiles on a 4" phones, but only on devices 5" and up. The actual size of the small tiles would stay the same.

maeh2k

One of the main reasons why I liked Metro was the clarity and how non cluttered it was. Almost serene.

If they keep on making it ever more messy, I'll just go with Facebook Home :p

Like I wrote above it's not clear that normal-size devices would get the added row, too, but assuming they would: imagine that picture without the smallest tiles. With the third row you could fit a decent number of medium and big tiles. If you don't use small tiles it might even look a tad 'cleaner' than a lot of start screens do with small tiles.

MCD

I can see it already: Windows Phone 8.1 now with added tiles.

And that's it folks. No features, no nothing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
BTW, is the 720 the best looking Lumia to date?
Looking at WPCentral unboxing, I pretty much believe it is. The unibody design of 920 but lighter, Micro SD card support and matte even in color.

My 900 is matte AND color. I still think the 800 is the best looking Lumia. The 920 is gorgeous but too thick and heavy to win any beauty awards. The 720 doesn't have the same cohesive, tight fit that you get with a non removable back and curved glass.

Edit: you guys told me I would miss the gutter and I don't, plus I actually use rooms and kids corner, so I still trust the design and creative judgment of the WP team.

clav

Did you see those WP9 leaks?

fZtOd64.jpg

ewww a grid of icons

I stumbled upon that link earlier and thought about it.

Read the comments. People have issues with the HTC Titan with the update fubaring the phone.

edit: I guess there is no easy way aside from this method. I'll tell my friend about this. Some people report successes.

Update went fine although as a safety measure, my friend updated the SPL bootloader from here before doing all those updates.

https://support.htc.com/alerts_downloads/en/Update_the_HTC_TITAN_for_Zune

Afterwards, selected all the languages as all of them were on the phone if not even more, and the phone rebooted about 10 times.

Just ordered a Nokia Lumia 520 in cyan and a 32GB Class 10 microSDXC Card. Only £8 a month and does everything I need.

Will pass the Omnia 7 to the wife.

ttony678

Neo Member
Why is it that the L720 which apparently goes for about $350, according to the WPC article, cost about the same as L820 on Ebay?

If you had to choose between the two which would you pick?

I'd probably pick the 820 over the 720, if only for the bigger amount of RAM. Some apps (mostly games) don't work with 512 MB RAM and I wouldn't want to had such a limitation. Depending on where you live, you could get an HTC Windows Phone 8X for the same price. While it doesn't have all the Nokia apps, it comes with a higher res screen and faster CPU.

Cipherr

Microsoft is working on a smartwatch.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/micro...enabled-watch-device---sources-20130414-00033
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/14/4225336/microsoft-working-on-smart-watch

Microsoft Corp. ( MSFT ) is working on designs for a touch-enabled watch device, executives at its suppliers said, potentially joining rivals like Apple Inc. (AAPL) in working on a new class of computing products.

Earlier this year, Microsoft asked suppliers in Asia to ship components for a potential watch-style device, the executives said. One executive said he met with Microsoft's research and development team at the software company's Redmond, Wash., headquarters. It is unclear if Microsoft will opt to move ahead with the watch, they said.

Microsoft declined to comment.

For its potential new watch prototype, Microsoft has requested 1.5-inch displays from component makers, said an executive at a component supplier who declined to be named.

The tests of a computerized watch also underscore Microsoft's ambitions in expanding its hardware offerings. Last October, Microsoft launched the Surface tablet-style computer, and the company is prepping more homegrown computing devices including a smaller, 7-inch version of a tablet to compete with popular gadgets like Apple's iPad Mini, people familiar with the matter have said.

Microsoft also is continuing to test its own smartphone, although it isn't clear whether it will bring such a device to market, component suppliers said.

NeOak

MS already did something like that before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Personal_Objects_Technology

Also considering the 520. And it's now available in the US.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia-Lumia-520-is-now-available-in-the-United-States_id41764

Edit: Only thing I'm scared of is that it won't work well with ATT or T-Mobile? Supposedly it'll only get EDGE speeds? I don't know exactly what EDGE is but I guess it's slow..

For 25 bucks more, get the 620. It works with AT&T's 3G network. The 520 seems to be 900/2100 only o_O which is weeeeird.

Edit: Yup

WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 2100 MHz

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia520/specifications/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom