• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
The Verge are live blogging an on-stage interview with Terry Myerson at the moment.

Some interesting stuff, some not so interesting stuff.

http://live.theverge.com/dive-into-mobile-live-blog-google-microsoft-snapchat/

edit: Already over.

Summary: doing well in some markets, happy with Nokia and their upcoming devices, said that Samsung is the only OEM making money off Android, hinted at deep WP8 and next gen Xbox integration, didn't sound keen on a Surface phone, wants to get to 200 million phones with the current model, hinted that they are talking to Facebook about elements of home, didn't confirm anything watch related and loves Stevie B.

Izuna

Banned
FINALLY got my Lumia 920 (Yellow) £270 -- it came unlocked but branded to Vodafone. <- I don't know if it's locked or unlocked, but giffgaff and vodafone both use O2 network.

• The day it arrived someone bought my Lumia 800 on eBay for £135.99.
  • Postage etc. cost <£10.
  • So total cost of upgrading so far is: ~£150 (once eBay and PayPal are done taking monies).

I am currently in the process of unbranding the phone via Nokia Care Suite to remove the ugly Vodafone splash screen, once done it'll be like a carrier-free device.

I use giffgaff so all you can eat data + 400 mins is £15 monthly (and free calls to my wifey and Mom since they're on it too)...

All I need now is for this website http://www.parts4repair.com/nokia-lumia-920/ <- to stock the Cyan cover and I'm good to go! Currently the Yellow looks nice but it's a little bit scratched up being second-hand and all.

So really the total price for the phone is ~£165 once I buy a new back cover and SIM tray colour.

Yay!

So I flashed my phone to the newest release from Nokia and I'm experiencing that the battery lasts longer and the phone seems slightly more responsive.

A couple days after I got 1314 I found my phone burning hot, plugged into the wall, with a completely dead battery. No apps were even open as far as I remember. But, since then my battery also seems like it's better than before!

frontieruk

FINALLY got my Lumia 920 (Yellow) £270 -- it came unlocked but branded to Vodafone.

• The day it arrived someone bought my Lumia 800 on eBay for £135.99.
  • Postage etc. cost <£10.
  • So total cost of upgrading so far is: ~£150 (once eBay and PayPal are done taking monies).

I am currently in the process of unbranding the phone via Nokia Care Suite to remove the ugly Vodafone splash screen, once done it'll be like a carrier-free device.

I use giffgaff so all you can eat data + 400 mins is £15 monthly (and free calls to my wifey and Mom since they're on it too)...

All I need now is for this website http://www.parts4repair.com/nokia-lumia-920/ <- to stock the Cyan cover and I'm good to go! Currently the Yellow looks nice but it's a little bit scratched up being second-hand and all.

So really the total price for the phone is ~£165 once I buy a new back cover and SIM tray colour.

Yay!

ok where'd you get it at that price from voda unlocked?

Izuna

Banned
ok where'd you get it at that price from voda unlocked?

Gumtree :p

My guess is that Vodafone ones aren't carrier locked, but I can't be sure. What is more likely is that Vodafone actually uses the O2 network since 2012, so giffgaff works.

TBH I could have gotten it for MUCH cheaper if I had bought an EE Matte Black phone or something.

Considering the site above gives you new cases in any colour for cheap, it's worth buying really second hand ones (so long as it's not the front screen that's bad). cex.co.uk have cheap C-grade Lumia 920's -- if it's just the back or cover that's f**ked it's so cheap to replace, I'm thinking off making monies doing it...&#12288;&#12417;&#12435;&#12393;&#12367;&#12373;&#12356;

EDIT: Unlocking it would only cost £30 anyway.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
LinkedIn got a small update for bug fixes a few days ago, now it got a bigger update with Lockscreen and speech support.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
To be fair, 512MB of RAM prevents it from running some popular games.

Yeah, that and he mentioned some issue with the chipset where things took longer to load. Not sure I've read that ever reported anywhere else though. Still, a 6 is pretty brutal for a wp8 device, with how smooth the OS is. Overall performance didn't seem bad at all in that review, but you know, it's the Verge.

Izuna

Banned
Lame.

Some apps I have to re-buy such as Angry Birds Star Wars... Actually you know what? Screw that.

The app I use for Kanji is a lot easier to write on now, and the Tiles update immediately. Gosh, I can select more than a single photo to delete AND delete from SkyDrive directly from the Photo's app? Beautiful! #lttpwp8

Most stuff I don't have to rebuy though. But Ugh, I had about 30km clocked on Crimson Dragon too. It's okay, I'll probably end up in Tokyo again over the Summer (5km instantly) =P.

frontieruk

Lame.

Some apps I have to re-buy such as Angry Birds Star Wars and GeoDefense... Actually you know what? Screw that.

The app I use for Kanji is a lot easier to write on now, and the Tiles update immediately. Gosh, I can select more than a single photo to delete AND delete from SkyDrive directly from the Photo's app? Beautiful! #lttpwp8

Most stuff I don't have to rebuy though. But Ugh, I had about 30km clocked on Crimson Dragon too. It's okay, I'll probably end up in Tokyo again over the Summer (5km instantly) =P.

why do you have to rebuy them? if you've purchased them even thoigh it says buy if you click it it should tell you that you've all ready purchased this item.

Izuna

Banned
why do you have to rebuy them? if you've purchased them even thoigh it says buy if you click it it should tell you that you've all ready purchased this item.

I was wrong about GeoDefense (I bought Swarm not the original) -- but Angry Birds Star Wars wasn't an Xbox LIVE title on WP7. I don't want to buy the game for a third time (Windows 8).

IIRC, you can specify whether you need 1gb requirement or not.

EDIT: Lol, apparently I also need to figure out how to apply to Microsoft. Probably because of my posts in the adam orth threads.

Izuna

Banned
Is there any way that I can use Zune to transfer my music? WMP, Xbox Music and the WP8 tool are all screwing everything up.

Zune was perfect...

IIRC, you can specify whether you need 1gb requirement or not.

EDIT: Lol, apparently I also need to figure out how to apply to Microsoft. Probably because of my posts in the adam orth threads.

What got you the tag? Don't you already work at Microsoft? Excuse me if I'm missing an obvious joke lol

Yeah, I do, which makes it all the more funny. I've always tried to point it out as much as possible with the (disclaimer) when posting about anything that MS is involved around, but I don't think I did it at all in the Orth threads. What's even funnier about all of this is that I very very rarely use my 360, and I only have one because I was given it. My wii (that I've barely used since freshman year of college) has seen more use than the 360, while my PS3/Vita combo is much more used. I've spent much more time on a pspGO than a 360.

I think I was tagged because I didn't think Orth deserved the (my words) happiness/joy some posters--not all--developed when seeing his departure from the company. It seemed pretty clear from the outset that he was joking around and making claims for himself, and not the company at all. That being said, it was about the dumbest thing you could possibly do in his situation as a "creative director", especially with all of the rumors going around and the intense feelings associated with said rumors.

Commodore

Not sure what is going on lately, but a bunch of my live tiles haven't been updating as usual. Sort of stopped right before the latest Nokia AT&T update, and remain sporadic. I wouldn't think it unusual if one of them stopped updating, but all of them suddenly stopped. Tried all the usual steps, rebooting, unpinning and repinning, haven't tried uninstalling yet, and double checked my amount of background apps (only have three of four that I allow), and still no dice. Only theory I have is that some of the apps are still registering authorized to run in the background, that I've turned off, and I'm over the limit of the amount that can run in the background. Worried I may just have to hard reset the phone and see if that clears it.

Anybody else have problems with live tiles lately?

Izuna

Banned
Last time I'll bitch I promise.

Apparently Knife Party is "In Collection" and won't let me download it without buying... Which defeats the point of Xbox Music -- and Hybrid have no Artist picture? Zune did.

Anyway, transferring experience aside, this has been more than worth the upgrade. It's a shame I couldn't do it earlier 'cause I was waiting on Cyan for so long, but it all worked out in the end. I did actually sell the Lumia 800 about 6 months later for a profit after all.

Yeah, I do...

I'm really jealous. I'd love to work for Microsoft, and I know it's an obvious career path if I continue with my Uni course, but I also have to think realistically about working in Tokyo. I have no clue what entails for me to work for Microsoft Japan and an Engineer.

EDIT: My Start Screen!

- It's clickable to see full size.

daevv

Any updates on Jetpack Joyride or Fairway Solitaire coming out on WP8? All the info I've found is from last year. Thx.

bedlamite

Apparently Knife Party is "In Collection" and won't let me download it without buying... Which defeats the point of Xbox Music -- and Hybrid have no Artist picture? Zune did.
Go into the Xbox Music app, tap the three dots and go into settings. Enable Xbox Music Cloud Collection then try redownloading Knife Party again. When you go back to your music collection you might see a whole bunch of other music you've listened to before on the service but never synced to your phone, just ignore it. Go ahead and redownload Knife Party then turn Cloud Collection right off. Syncing is fucked, I can't be arsed to fix MS's fuckups but this is how I redownload my music.

The live tile only shows the artist picture when music is playing, which is again, fucked, and why the app only gets a small-sized tile on my home screen instead of the glorious double-wide size it could have been.

Izuna

Banned
Go into the Xbox Music app, tap the three dots and go into settings. Enable Xbox Music Cloud Collection then try redownloading Knife Party again. When you go back to your music collection you might see a whole bunch of other music you've listened to before on the service but never synced to your phone, just ignore it. Go ahead and redownload Knife Party then turn Cloud Collection right off. Syncing is fucked, I can't be arsed to fix MS's fuckups but this is how I redownload my music.

The live tile only shows the artist picture when music is playing, which is again, fucked, and why the app only gets a small-sized tile on my home screen instead of the glorious double-wide size it could have been.

Thanks I'll try that.

EDIT: YES! Thank you VERY MUCH!

I don't mind the new Live Tile change. On WP7, it used to display the sane thing as below when I had an artist pinned.

Izuna

Banned
WOW MPAtool is the best App I've gotten in a long time. For those who don't know, it pretty much lets you put last.fm pictures to your artists if they don't have anything.

So now Shiina Ringo shows up on my lock screen when I listen to her, even the obscure meg and game OSTs!

It also means I can pin an artist that didn't used to have a picture!

Only downside is that every time you do it, it makes a dummy file that you must delete.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah it's a great little app.

The only thing that's a bit annoying is that it can't replace existing pictures.

Also, it would be nice if you could do a custom search for the album art.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah it's a great little app.

The only thing that's a bit annoying is that it can't replace existing pictures.

I dunno about custom search, since I didn't need it, but it would be nice to change existing pictures. I'd change the ugly picture for The Chemical Brothers so they'd look swag.

hadareud

The Translator
The only way to do it is to remove the artist from the phone, then put it back on and before you listen to it use MPATool.

If I remember correctly the reason why you can't change pictures is a limitation of WP8 and it's not currently technically possible.

Izuna

Banned
The only way to do it is to remove the artist from the phone, then put it back on and before you listen to it use MPATool.

If I remember correctly the reason why you can't change pictures is a limitation of WP8 and it's not currently technically possible.

Hmm, that work around seems a bit much. It's a shame it has such limitation, but at the same time it's only a problem if Xbox Music already has a picture -- usually they're good enough (if not low quality). I can imagine why they aren't bothered allowing you to change them.

However, MPAtool should definitely be added to the OS, along with Flashlight.

Oh my days, the picture of meg that I've got is really beautiful on the home screen. I gotta that a screenshot.

wp_ss_20130417_0013.png

If I have time over summer, I definitely want to start programming for this OS. It'd be my first, but if helps working for this team in the future -- and be lots of fun -- it's the best thing I can do.

Izuna

Banned
Guys, I don't remember seeing you talk about Toshl here, what a great app. The website, the service, it's all very good. Highly recommended.

https://toshl.com

Thanks! =)

Uh looks great, but I couldn't use something like this.

EDIT: I really want Zune back. I used to tease my other half on how great it was versus iTunes, but now it's so annoying. Whenever I change the tags I need to keep removing it from the library for WMP. Right now it's not maintaining the tags I created for the files even if I drag & drop.

Izuna

Banned
EDITED out the b**ching

*sigh*

I know I already quoted this, but you can pick files from the picture hub (SkyDrive, Saved, Camera Roll etc.) -- or were you saying you'd like to search on different sites other than last.fm from the phone itself?

So, I just got my Lumia 520, but my SD card didn't arrive. Can I set it up now and put the SD card in later?

I remember in WP7 it would erase your phone if card was taken out after setup.

The phone looks beautiful.

Izuna

Banned
Oh WOW, so the phone I got IS unlocked. That brings it's price up to like £400 once I switch the case. I'm wondering if I should buy another one and sell this one - (rinse & repeat).

So I think Vodafone phones are carrier unlocked. Which means so long as you unbrand them people are none-the-wiser.

I am seeing Vodafone Yellow and Black phones for just £250 on Gumtree. Awesome.

So the day Cut the Rope 3 comes out on other platforms Cut the Rope 2 launches on Windows Phone and at like four times the price as elsewhere.

Stuff like this is just baffling.

Please understand.

Most Windows Phone users are first-time smartphone users. They don't know anything about other platforms, release dates and prices, so it makes perfect sense to fight the devaluation of expensive gaming IPs like Cut The Rope or Angry Birds with the perfectly timed release on the Windows Phone Store.

First images of Nokia's aluminum Lumia?

Meh. Not a fan of the rounded edges at top/bottom or the Huawei-like nipple cam.

MicroUSB port at the top. Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom