• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else having issues with EXIF data from pics taken with your phone not transferring over when importing the pics to your PCs or Macs?

I'd probably pick the 820 over the 720, if only for the bigger amount of RAM. Some apps (mostly games) don't work with 512 MB RAM and I wouldn't want to had such a limitation. Depending on where you live, you could get an HTC Windows Phone 8X for the same price. While it doesn't have all the Nokia apps, it comes with a higher res screen and faster CPU.

I agree with Brot, you can find 820 on eBay for $200 used and $350 new. If you are on At&t you can use LTE band. My only gripe with 820 is the AMOLED screen but other than that it is better than 720 with 1gb of RAM. You can get wireless charging shell if you want and it is light and thin.

not accurate, there are 10 times as many tiles and a start menu button.

But what happens is, sometimes when you launch an app you stay in the Metro UI, but other times it launches in a classic Windows desktop instead! It's the best of both worlds!

I'm with you. My phone is always with me. Not sure what a smart watch would offer. Possible something could he be revealed that makes it awesome, but we will see.

MS is only doing it because Apple and Google are rumored to be doing it. This seems to be MS's entire competitive strategy right now, they look at what Apple and Google are doing and try to do the same thing.

Windows Watch 8
How about no.

You can know the time just by looking at your wrist. That way you don't have to get your phone out of your pocket 90% of the times you're using it...

I already have a watch for that.

Obviously just glancing at your wrist for the time is nice, but the supposed advantage of a smart watch would be the smart phone like functions that it also provides, but if I'm going to do something that requires more time than just a glance at my wrist, I might as well pull my phone out.

I don't know, we'll see what they are going for a bit once they show them off, but I just don't get them at this point.

I don't think there's any appeal to smart watches. Pebble was overhyped and blew up in the face of all backers.
Microsofts watch will be one year late and have less features than the competition.
I don't even understand the appeal of a regular watch, so... not for me.
You're weird.

I already have a watch for that.

Obviously just glancing at your wrist for the time is nice, but the supposed advantage of a smart watch would be the smart phone like functions that it also provides, but if I'm going to do something that requires more time than just a glance at my wrist, I might as well pull my phone out.

I don't know, we'll see what they are going for a bit once they show them off, but I just don't get them at this point.

How about something simple like changing the current playing song? Instead of pulling out your phone, simply just press and hold a button on the watch. Or say you have a headset plugged in. Press and hold a button to bring up TellMe and then you just say who you want to call.

They aren't the best examples, but I could think of a few situations where it would just be faster to hit a button on your watch. Of course this is assuming that you don't have inline volume up/down/pause on the headset.

eso76

just wanted to say i bought a 620 last week (my carrier offered me a new one with a 60% discount, so less than 100€).

I'm absolutely loving it.
It's so well done, both hardware and software wise and i might be LTTP with this, coming from an old-ish wifi-less blackberry, but the way it painlessly syncs with everything on my PC and tablet as soon as a wifi connection is available is just amazing.

NeOak

I don't think there's any appeal to smart watches. Pebble was overhyped and blew up in the face of all backers.
Microsofts watch will be one year late and have less features than the competition.

You're weird.

Wait, how did it blew up?

I'm curious.

I just noticed that apparently, while in Night mode, the Lumia 900 somehow can shoot at an exposure time of 2.11 seconds (if you force an ISO of 100 beforehand). You definitely need a solid surface for that.

*wonders how long he might be able to push a 920...*

maeh2k

Didn't the Pebble watch do reasonably well in the Verge review? How did it blow up in their faces?

I think wearable computing like watches can become interesting in the future, even though I don't really care about it yet. Voice input without having to pull out the phone is intriguing.
If a watch could handle all classic phone tasks, this would also allow different form factors for the phones. We are already seeing pretty big phones now, but if e.g. a 10" tablet you keep in a bag in combination with a watch could work as your phone, that might be interesting to some.

Is there any WP8 phone with a physical keyboard or has one been announced?

I think the last was the HTC Arrive and that's a big hardware mess. 3/4 on my family plan use the Arrive and all three have had their devices replaced due to dysfunctional charge port. HTC's shoddy engineering at work again. The only thing that made using the Arrive bearable is the Windows Phone OS. The battery life isn't spectacular and the speaker is practically useless as a speakerphone or using the phone in the traditional sense. I have to use an earpiece or constantly ask everyone to speak up due to the quality being so poor.

I'm not ecstatic about going from the Arrive the the Ativ but I'll take what I can get now. At least I can move on to better hardware for a while and if things go well we'll see another high end device soon after then I can offload the Ativ on the wife upgrade my wife's phone.

MCD

Any games on WP8 similar to Cut The Rope?

Need one for the family. Dunno why we still don't have the extra levels nor Experiment.

kazinova

I'm looking forward to some WP excitement. I've been getting pretty bored, I hope we get some big news soon. What's the next event, at which almost no information will get presented, for us to over-analyse?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Really? I had no problems with my 800's, so is that a change for the worse, or was I just lucky so far?

It's always been buggy, but it doesn't always manifest itself, especially if all you're doing is basic stuff like Bluetooth headsets. Mostly, the problems arise in advance use cases, such as using a Bluetooth car stereo. The phones can reboot, audio drops where you have to reboot, mic stops working, etc.

hwalker84

It's always been buggy, but it doesn't always manifest itself, especially if all you're doing is basic stuff like Bluetooth headsets. Mostly, the problems arise in advance use cases, such as using a Bluetooth car stereo. The phones can reboot, audio drops where you have to reboot, mic stops working, etc.

Never had that problem with my Quantum, Focus, Titan, 900 or 920.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I know it's been discussed in this thread before. Another symptom is that you can't change the volume, it's stuck after you disconnect from the bluetooth device. So you have to reboot to be able to adjust volume again.

PG2G

I like how the NBC News app can read articles to you. That needs to be built into the OS somehow. Too bad it doesn't work in the background or behind screen lock though.

Do any of the RSS Readers have this feature?

I like how the NBC News app can read articles to you. That needs to be built into the OS somehow. Too bad it doesn't work in the background or behind screen lock though.

Do any of the RSS Readers have this feature?

The browser surfcube3d does, if you're interested.

krae_man

Anyone elses phone stop syncing? My phone won't sync with Zune anymore. I've tried reinstalling the driver, reinstalling the Zune software and nothing works.

When I connect my phone the Zune software starts up automatically but it doesn't connect.

Omg, u guyz! Windows Phone could get Facebook Home!

After debuting the software, called Home, for Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Android operating system earlier this month, the operator of the world’s biggest social-networking service is speaking to Apple and Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) about expanding to other platforms, Adam Mosseri, director of product at Menlo Park, California-based Facebook, said in an interview on Bloomberg West yesterday. The talks are ongoing and nothing has been finalized.

“We’ve shown them what we’ve built and we’re just in an ongoing conversation,” Mosseri said, referring to discussions with Apple and Microsoft.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...apple-about-new-home-software-for-iphone.html

I love how the headline completely ignores Microsoft. :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I flashed my phone to the newest release from Nokia and I'm experiencing that the battery lasts longer and the phone seems slightly more responsive.

Also tried out the demo for Modern Combat 4 and it runs pretty nicely. Not that bad a game either :).
Gyro controls work really well, not so much for general aiming but for fine tuning your aim it's awesome. Nice to have a good looking game that seems to be running in native resolution as well. Or I think it is, seems to be some AA going on anyway so not an extreme jagfest.

PG2G

So I flashed my phone to the newest release from Nokia and I'm experiencing that the battery lasts longer and the phone seems slightly more responsive.

Thought it might have been just ne, my battery life is much better than it used to be.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Thought it might have been just ne, my battery life is much better than it used to be.

Seems to drain slower for sure, the estimated time remaining is consistently higher than it used to be as well. Yesterday it reported 1 day remaining at 70%, which it hasn't done since it was new. Even when it has idled for a good while.

The more rumours I read about the Nokia Lumia "EOS" the more I want one right now. It sounded like the perfect upgrade for me, after two phone generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom