• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned

Oh yeah of course, what would I do without my million fart apps?

Also "It's pretty damn ugly".

apple-iphone5-25.jpg

If anything, it took inspiration from somewhere...

Izuna

Banned
Edit: This is hopeless, there's nothing I can to sync my music properly. It always puts out garbage, switches album art etc. but shows up fine on the Computer... Even if I rip the discs again.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm not crazy about the design, but if that was a 1080p, quad core flagship, I'd drop my 920 and pick it up.

Nokia reportedly planning Galaxy Note rival, advanced PureView Lumia coming in July
Tom Warren said:
Microsoft is planning to update Windows Phone 8 later this year to support 1080p displays and it appears that close partner Nokia might be ready to take advantage of the new resolution. The Financial Times reports that the Finnish smartphone maker is working on a large screen smartphone that's similar in size to Samsung's Galaxy Note series. The device is said to be part of Nokia's Lumia range of smartphones.

A Nokia "EOS" PureView Lumia is also allegedly planned for July. The Verge previously revealed "EOS," a Lumia with a similar sensor that's found on Nokia's 808 PureView handset. The FT also reports that a lighter "more advanced" Lumia is also planned, a device that we understand to be codenamed Catwalk. Images of an unknown Lumia device leaked to the internet this week, and appear to show a slimmer Lumia with an aluminum frame and hump around the camera area. All of the rumored devices are expected to form Nokia's 2013 portfolio for Lumia, a key part of its mobile business. Nokia will reveal its latest financial results later today, demonstrating if the company has been successful with its plans to grow its smartphone marketshare with Lumia.

Yeah if Nokia releases a phone with wacom tech or 808 sensor running WP8 then I don't care what it looks like — just take my money.

Does Windows Phone have native stylus support? Samsung basically had to program in stylus support themselves for the Note II because it wasn't natively supported by Android.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah so, I'm pretty certain I'll upgrade to EOS, but I need concrete details on its UK release.

I'm certain I can sell this phone for a profit anyways. Unlocked, yellow, unbranded for anything more than 200. Would changing the colour to Cyan change its value enough?

Catwalk is pretty much useless to me, it's the 4S to 5 kind of update.

I somehow doubt Nokia will get the device out by July though. I'm thinking Q4... July may ne when its unveiled.

NeOak

Does Windows Phone have native stylus support? Samsung basically had to program in stylus support themselves for the Note II because it wasn't natively supported by Android.

Unfortunately no. They would have to add it from Windows 8.

I would love it, because i did try Evernote when i was considering to buy an Android phone, but pretty much OneNote is so superior that I ended up getting a Dell Venue Pro. Too bad the fucker didn't show my notes because the media was "unsupported". WP8 OneNote does show them though, so the support is there.

Inking support in my case is more important than a physical QWERTY. Nokia should release a damn E7 like Lumia though.

First images of Nokia's aluminum Lumia?

Meh. Not a fan of the rounded edges at top/bottom or the Huawei-like nipple cam.

Nokia is the only one that makes plastic look better than Aluminum. e.g. N9 vs N8/E7.

Izuna

Banned
Actually, if the EOS shares the size of a Note II, I wont be interested... It's hard enough to use this device in one hand.

every time someone says "Note rival" i think they mean "Wacom Tech" but they really mean "similar sized phone"

hope this time they mean the former and not the latter.

Samsung is the only one going with a Wacom pen. No one else is bothering and Nokia won't either. I don't think people don't buy the Notes for the pen, but for the size.

Lucius86

Banned
Edit: This is hopeless, there's nothing I can to sync my music properly. It always puts out garbage, switches album art etc. but shows up fine on the Computer... Even if I rip the discs again.

Probably the thing I hate the most on my phone. Is it really that hard?

Izuna

Banned
Probably the thing I hate the most on my phone. Is it really that hard?

Well, my Discog (actually just the first 6 albums not all) of a particular artist aren't showing up properly.

For most artists who I only own a single Best Of... for, I hardly care about this following issue:

If I use Drag and Drop:
- Tags for Year is ignored
- Thus the Albums are arranged Alphabetically

If I use WMP:
- Tags for Year is ignored
- Albums get split up
- Album art goes missing for some
- Even worse

If I use WP8 Sync (Modern UI):
- Tags for Year are CORRECT!
- Thus the Albums are arranged PROPERLY!
- And Album Art is DUPLICATED between albums!

So clearly what happens is that the phone doesn't read standard tags for Year, but when WMP or WP8 try to convert the music, they mess up the tags in other ways.

I've tried re-ripping, converting to WMA, removing all tags, whatever. For artists with a single Album I don't care, but to see the arrangement of "single -> latest -> first -> 2009 -> 2007 etc." is very lame, but alas I've given up.

I thought about just putting increasing numbers between albums, but Zune NEVER had this issue, not even with the same files.

EDIT:

WOW okay so, I just got a bonus of 800 MSP posted to my house just for using NOW TV free trial.

Now I'm back in love.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So my contract is up with T-Mobile (UK) at the end of the month and I'm thinking of just keeping my Omnia 7.

The HTC 8S looks nice but it's pretty low end and doesn't offer me anything new. The 920 is still really expensive for what it is (you can get an iPhone 5 for less). I'd would probably get a Nexus 4 but they don't offer it.

tl;dr smartphones are boring.

Is there anything to be excited about in the next couple of months?

Izuna

Banned

I went from, Omnia 7 to Lumia 800 to now Lumia 920.

Each upgrade has been marginally different. I suppose if you're happy with the Omnia 7, then power to you for being able to save money.

HS was meant to be my upgrade from Lumia 800, but after feeling both, it felt like it would be a downgrade on the build quality side.

IMO you don't really need WP8. I got the Lumia 920 mostly for the camera. If it doesn't interest you then really, stick to your Onmia 7.

Wait for the NEXT set of WP8 phones to be announced around the Summer, just a few months now.

That being said, I loved my Omnia 7, but damn this 920 is so fast, especially when syncing emails. The build quality is insane.

kur15u

Neo Member
I just upgraded from Lumia 900 to a Lumia 820 and one small thing is really annoying me with the xbox music tile. In wp8 it mirrors the behaviour of 7.8 i.e. you start playing music and the tile changes to the artist picture; however in WP8 as soon as you pause or stop the music it goes back to the green tile which messes with my tile scheme.

In 7.8 when you played music it keeps the artist picture the same even if you pause/stop and it only changes when you play another artist who is recognised by zune or reset the phone.

Is there a way to get the 7.8 effect in wp8?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Did you read above? Nokia is about to BRING IT. It seems like you are more in the mid range budget, so maybe catwalk for you.

But seriously, a Nokia Lumia phablet with 808 size sensor and 920-level low light pictures, stylus and inking support, with 1080p screen, SD card, and a quad core processor....that would shit on everything and anything on the market. Which is why I don't think it will happen.

hadareud

The Translator
It would be a great business tool, for sure.

I'd be surprised if they weren't at least considering releasing a device like that. Would be a bigger seller than an RT tablet imo.

hwalker84

I just upgraded from Lumia 900 to a Lumia 820 and one small thing is really annoying me with the xbox music tile. In wp8 it mirrors the behaviour of 7.8 i.e. you start playing music and the tile changes to the artist picture; however in WP8 as soon as you pause or stop the music it goes back to the green tile which messes with my tile scheme.

In 7.8 when you played music it keeps the artist picture the same even if you pause/stop and it only changes when you play another artist who is recognised by zune or reset the phone.

Is there a way to get the 7.8 effect in wp8?

Unfortunately no.

Did you read above? Nokia is about to BRING IT. It seems like you are more in the mid range budget, so maybe catwalk for you.

But seriously, a Nokia Lumia phablet with 808 size sensor and 920-level low light pictures, stylus and inking support, with 1080p screen, SD card, and a quad core processor....that would shit on everything and anything on the market. Which is why I don't think it will happen.

It won't happen.

hwalker84

You're living in a fantasy.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You're living in a fantasy.

I think you guys skipped over the very last line in my post.

All rumors point to separate devices for the various features. So the eos will have the large sensor, and then a phablet device. Also, likely that one or both will feature a 720p screen and a dual core processor.

Izuna

Banned
I think you guys skipped over the very last line in my post.

All rumors point to separate devices for the various features. So the eos will have the large sensor, and then a phablet device. Also, likely that one or both will feature a 720p screen and a dual core processor.

It's good gaffiquette to put a "disclaimer" at the beginning of your post.

I'm still terrified though. I don't want an upgrade that's so far from what we initially thought the 920 to have.

I've tried re-ripping, converting to WMA, removing all tags, whatever. For artists with a single Album I don't care, but to see the arrangement of "single -> latest -> first -> 2009 -> 2007 etc." is very lame, but alas I've given up.

I thought about just putting increasing numbers between albums, but Zune NEVER had this issue, not even with the same files.

EDIT:

WOW okay so, I just got a bonus of 800 MSP posted to my house just for using NOW TV free trial.

Now I'm back in love.

Since a couple of weeks I started getting problems too. Missing cover art, tracks duplicated or even tripled, whole albums showing twice... Tried manual drag&drop and WMP12 with the same results. It used to work just fine, I'll try iTunes next (wtf right?) and if that doesn't work I'll hard reset my Lumia 820.

I also had to change to a smaller and slower SD card, the 32Gb class 10 card I was using constantly disconnects from the phone for unknown reasons (seems to be a known problem).

Love the phone, but this is quasi unacceptable.

Yeah makes no difference for me either... it's like voodoo, I even had an album appear after a reformat an resync that I didn't sync that particular time. With all cloud options "off"...

Izuna

Banned
Yeah makes no difference for me either... it's like voodoo, I even had an album appear after a reformat an resync that I didn't sync that particular time. With all cloud options "off"...

O~ka~y~?
..♪

Xbox Music being a prick when it comes to tags is one thing, but you could write a horror story trying to explain that.

OT but, London just went from sunny to hailstones to thunder to cloudy to sunny in the course of 90 minutes. I wish I had done a time-lapse video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom