• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragus

Banned
Is instagram really that big deal to you guys? I always imagined this thing as a clusterfuck full of "artistic" photos. I jumped back to Android after WP8, and I know that this app won't ever be a guest on my phone.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is instagram really that big deal to you guys? I always imagined this thing as a clusterfuck full of "artistic" photos. I jumped back to Android after WP8, and I know that this app won't ever be a guest on my phone.

It's more than that. It's a social app. Basically Twitter for photos.

Not at all important to me, but it is apparently for a lot of people.

MCD

I don't need it but it's not about my needs. WP is simply being ignored without official apps like Instagram.

Instagram is one of the biggest social networks, after Twitter and Facebook. It has probably more users than Google+. It's an important application for the platform itself. What Microsoft should do, is integrate Instagram into the OS, like they did with Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Magni

No, but like probably everyone else that answered no I want WP to have it so that we can move on to requesting more important apps.

With Instagram, WP will have 49 of the top 50 apps with Dropbox being the only exception.

I honestly don't understand why Dropbox isn't on WP Already. Its not like its that hard to build an app that connects to a server and pulls information down, especially since they already have the code on Windows and Windows 8 for that. Its literally just a simple port job at this point.

If it makes you guys feel better, Android is still a 2nd class citizen to developers. Twitter launched their new music service today and the Android version is no where to be seen. Yahoo launched a beautiful weather app today. iOS/iPhone only. Sometimes you really have to wonder what developers are thinking.

With Instagram, WP will have 49 of the top 50 apps with Dropbox being the only exception.

At least Dropbox has a good 3rd party app in the Store.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Instagram is one of the biggest social networks, after Twitter and Facebook. It has probably more users than Google+.

Surely, you can come up with a better reference point than g+, that thing was always falsely inflated by Google. I got in when the hype was still hot through a private invite (from Copernicus of all people) and that thing was and continues to be a sad, pathetic wasteland.

I have a pureview camera, I'll be using the shit outta instagram when it finally arrives
sometime in 2014

MCD

If it makes you guys feel better, Android is still a 2nd class citizen to developers. Twitter launched their new music service today and the Android version is no where to be seen. Yahoo launched a beautiful weather app today. iOS/iPhone only. Sometimes you really have to wonder what developers are thinking.

At least Dropbox has a good 3rd party app in the Store.

Maybe Apple paid for timed exclusivity?

And Dropbox is weird, they have an official app on Win8/RT and nothing on WP lol.

Surely, you can come up with a better reference point than g+, that thing was always falsely inflated by Google. I got in when the hype was still hot through a private invite (from Copernicus of all people) and that thing was and continues to be a sad, pathetic wasteland.

I have a pureview camera, I'll be using the shit outta instagram when it finally arrives
sometime in 2014

Google finally got me a week or two ago, when I went to YouTube and they bugged me about the real name thing again. It suddenly said "hey, if you don't want to enter your real name, that's fine. Your alias is enough" and I was like "God, yes, finally! Now fuck off!" and then, boom, "Gotcha, bitch!" and now I have a G+ account. :(

Milchjon

I won't be the one who makes a thread for MS' financials.

Adjusted revenue of $18.8 billion is only up eight percent over the year-ago quarter. As for its Windows division, it's a similar story — revenues of $5.7 billion are up 23 percent year-over year, but adjusted revenues to the upgrade offer take into account lower revenues to $4.6 billion (flat year-over-year). At the end of the day, however, Microsoft had a healthy quarter — total net income for the quarter was $6.06 billion, up 18.5 percent year-over-year.

like Twitter, it's a great app if you have friends and family that use it.

Instagram is one of the biggest social networks, after Twitter and Facebook. It has probably more users than Google+. It's an important application for the platform itself. What Microsoft should do, is integrate Instagram into the OS, like they did with Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Yep. Hopefully they wise up for the next update...even though I couldn't care less about Instagram.

indeed, it's so sad to see M$Verge use words like 'miss' for Google and only 'flat' for MS.

Well they did try to spin it as positively as they could with word like beat expectation. They just can't get around the fact that Google actually miss the revenue.

Here is comparison to Bloomberg article "Google Sales Miss Estimates as Ad Fees Per Click Fall" and for Microsoft "Microsoft Profit Tops Analysts’ Estimates on Cost Controls"

Again not sure what is the negative on Microsoft earning as spin by the Verge. I think it show how resilient they are and they no longer rely solely on Windows to generate profit.

(Disclaimer: I own both MS and Google stock, actually have more money in GOOG than MSFT and really don't want to see Google stock fall (and it's been falling). As for MSFT stock, well I pass caring, it's there to earn dividend at this point).

UraMallas

Hey. I've got a 16GB 8x with about 4GB of space left. Any tips on how to trim some thongs down without deleting any of my apps or games? Pry not, huh...

maeh2k

Google finally got me a week or two ago, when I went to YouTube and they bugged me about the real name thing again. It suddenly said "hey, if you don't want to enter your real name, that's fine. Your alias is enough" and I was like "God, yes, finally! Now fuck off!" and then, boom, "Gotcha, bitch!" and now I have a G+ account. :(

They got me as well some time ago. I don't even really use my youtube account for anything. Just made it because some videos required it. My user name was 'firstnamelastname' and they asked me to use my real name and change it to 'firstname lastname'. Since that really didn't make much of a difference, I thought 'okay, why not?'. Missed the g+ part...

With google pushing g+ that hard it's only a matter of time till they get to facebook's user number (obviouly not with the same usage). At the current rate there have 500+ million Android activations a year and every new customer (except in China) needs a google account. At the point when everyone and their friends is on g+ there'll be little friction when switching from facebook to g+. So with how everyone seems to feel about facebook and at the same time love google, they might have a real shot at taking on facebook in the distantish future... and I hope they'll fail miserably. Google is powerful enough as is. No need to give them all personal data, too. Besides, only getting users by forcing them through other services is pathetic. If bundling IE with windows is that big of a deal than bundling g+ with a google account (android, youtube, ...) should be, too (in some regions google search has 90%+ market share and no other video service comes close to youtube).

If another social network comes along and beats facebook by being significantly better, then that's fine. Beating facebook by beeing google is not.

Ughh....

I have a strange dream with a Windows Phone's camera...

It's like... hey, what's in- why can I go to A/S/M modes now and what's this HDR doing here and OH MY GOSH too many features

I can dream, right?

Milchjon

They got me as well some time ago. I don't even really use my youtube account for anything. Just made it because some videos required it. My user name was 'firstnamelastname' and they asked me to use my real name and change it to 'firstname lastname'. Since that really didn't make much of a difference, I thought 'okay, why not?'. Missed the g+ part...

With google pushing g+ that hard it's only a matter of time till they get to facebook's user number (obviouly not with the same usage). At the current rate there have 500+ million Android activations a year and every new customer (except in China) needs a google account. At the point when everyone and their friends is on g+ there'll be little friction when switching from facebook to g+. So with how everyone seems to feel about facebook and at the same time love google, they might have a real shot at taking on facebook in the distantish future... and I hope they'll fail miserably. Google is powerful enough as is. No need to give them all personal data, too. Besides, only getting users by forcing them through other services is pathetic. If bundling IE with windows is that big of a deal than bundling g+ with a google account (android, youtube, ...) should be, too (in some regions google search has 90%+ market share and no other video service comes close to youtube).

If another social network comes along and beats facebook by being significantly better, then that's fine. Beating facebook by beeing google is not.

I can't see how Google today is too different from 90s MS. Some of their tactics make me uncomfortable.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't see how Google today is too different from 90s MS. Some of their tactics make me uncomfortable.

So, Google actually PAYS carriers and OEM's money from the 30 percent cut of app store purchases. It makes sense, since carriers and OEM's would be losing big otherwise but I didn't know that it actually happened until the earnings call.

So I'm assuming MS and Apple do the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom