• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

Updated my Microsoft account to the two factor authentication and now i can't update my apps. Lovely. I also couldn't use my normal Microsoft password. I had to generate an absurdly long password to even get it to attempt to work...... sigh!

EDIT: Soft Reset worked.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Lol, what the hell? Is brot drunk?

Also, troll and kharma banned, clearly there is a conspiracy against windows phone regulars!!

Updated my Microsoft account to the two factor authentication and now i can't update my apps. Lovely. I also couldn't use my normal Microsoft password. I had to generate an absurdly long password to even get it to attempt to work...... sigh!

EDIT: Soft Reset worked.
I'm having the same problem updating my apps too, How did you fix it? Just go into settings and change the password of the MS Account? Because I've been trying to have it bring up the "sign in" box from Updates, like it usually does when credentials are wrong.

Edit: Alright, Turns out that worked. Had to go into settings and reapply the password to the Microsoft Account using a Temp Password

You guys think windows phone can reach 10% market share by the end of the year? I feel like that would be the tipping point in terms viability of the platform for developers.

JimiNutz

Banned
I lost my Lumia 920 a couple weeks back and will now have to pay £500 for another.
I loved the phone but don't know if I can justify spending £500 for something that I've already owned. If I'm gonna spend £500 then I at least want something new...

Are any new Windows Phones on the horizon? (something better than the 920 if possible)

I lost my Lumia 920 a couple weeks back and will now have to pay £500 for another.
I loved the phone but don't know if I can justify spending £500 for something that I've already owned. If I'm gonna spend £500 then I at least want something new...

Are any new Windows Phones on the horizon? (something better than the 920 if possible)

There are new Windows Phones (928 and Catwalk) from Nokia coming, but not soon.

I'm just glad that the app situation in Windows Phone wasn't as bad as I've thought. There are worse options when it comes to ecosystems.

For these still using Windows Phone 7.x, what's your favoured bit rate for syncing music? I've noticed that I can get away with 128K.

maeh2k

You could get something like a 520 and use that for a year or at least to tie you over till they release a new flagship.

Cut him some slack, poor guy has to use a Galaxy Nexus all day. I'd be cranky too.

You know, if Nokia would stop being stuck in 2009 and released the Lumia 720 with a 720p screen and 1 GB RAM, it would definitely be a contender for my next phone. The phone looks great, I don't need any of the PureView stuff, nor do I need a 1.5 GHz dual-core or whatever. But 512 MB RAM and WVGA for that price? Come on. I still can't believe that they released 5 WP8 Lumias and only one of them has a resolution higher than 800 x 480.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Must suck to be stuck in the mid range phone bracket. I don't know what your timeframe is, but I imagine 720p will be the standard mid range next year for WPZ......at which point I imagine quad core 1080p will be android mid range. The cycle of life.

Engadget Lumia 720 review:

q2O5jtl.jpg

We're really struggling to find the hook which sets Nokia's Lumia 720 apart from all the other handsets with similar specs, so let's look at its positioning in the UK (note: there's no sign of any US carriers picking it up). O2 has been on a rampage, picking up practically all the WP8 devices we've mentioned throughout this review, and they're all available on PAYG to make the comparison a little easier. HTC's 8S costs £170 ($260); the 620 is £150 ($229); the 520 is £120 ($183); and Huawei's Ascend W1 is merely £109 ($167). The 720, however, is £300 ($458) -- in other words, not far off the price of three W1s, which carries the 1.2GHz S4 Plus.

Wrap-up

Do the small perks afforded to the 720 justify that price? You get a slightly better shooter than all the other models, a bigger screen at the same resolution and peripheral-assisted wireless charging. The only real specification that excites us is the longer battery life, but we're all now accustomed to the nightly charging ritual, so we're not convinced it's worth the price hike. We can't exactly ignore the extras -- each has their own cost, and we understand it adds up. However, it would make more sense to ditch the half-baked Qi integration and upgrade the RAM instead. We get the appeal of the 520: it's entering as the cheapest way to get that colorful Lumia style. We imagine Nokia's attempting to place the 720 as a mid-range device, but what's fundamentally wrong with the handset is that it represents slowly aging hardware in a pretty dress, with a few catchy slogans attached.

Pros

Attractive design
2,000mAh battery
Good low-light pics

Cons

Aging innards
Relatively expensive

Bottom Line

Nokia's Lumia 720 is a very desirable handset on the outside, but lackluster insides make it hard to justify the price.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/19/nokia-lumia-720-review/

Pretty much what I said about the phone. It's not enough for that price.

Must suck to be stuck in the mid range phone bracket. I don't know what your timeframe is, but I imagine 720p will be the standard mid range next year for WPZ......at which point I imagine quad core 1080p will be android mid range. The cycle of life.

I'm not on a contract or specific cycle. I simply buy my phones whenever got some money at disposal and when I'm bored enough. My LG had to be replaced and the GN seemed like the best solution back then. I've seen some good deals for the 8X on ebay, but I can't say I'm a fan of the phone or HTC. I'm not really a hardware whore that craves the latest specs and right now I just want something cheap that gets me out of this design ghetto. Possibly before they're done with the redevelopment, or else I might not come back at all.

Izuna

Banned

You're in the UK right? I assume you want to buy a new as opposed to all those second-hand ones selling for £300.

afaik you'll be waiting forever for the upgrade (prob. EOS) to come out.

Magni

My girlfriend's iPhone just died, I know she's not going to change to Android cause she hates it, and not to Windows Phone because Instagram, but I thought she'd at least be able to switch from AT&T to T-Mo.

Stockholm syndrome :(

Izuna

Banned
My girlfriend's iPhone just died, I know she's not going to change to Android cause she hates it, and not to Windows Phone because Instagram, but I thought she'd at least be able to switch from AT&T to T-Mo.

Tell her Nokia phones don't die, and Instagram is coming (alternatives are here).

It takes small things for mine to want to switch. Her 4S isn't so good playing Wordament, Xbox Music, and wireless charging (I promised to build it into her bed) may make her switch.

She got gifted an iPad mini so there won't be any "I miss iOS) issues.

However, she CAN'T switch cause she uses au in Japan. If I was certain they'd give her a sim I would encourage but it'd shit if it didn't.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Engadget Lumia 720 review:

q2O5jtl.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/19/nokia-lumia-720-review/

Pretty much what I said about the phone. It's not enough for that price.

I'm not on a contract or specific cycle. I simply buy my phones whenever got some money at disposal and when I'm bored enough. My LG had to be replaced and the GN seemed like the best solution back then. I've seen some good deals for the 8X on ebay, but I can't say I'm a fan of the phone or HTC. I'm not really a hardware whore that craves the latest specs and right now I just want something cheap that gets me out of this design ghetto. Possibly before they're done with the redevelopment, or else I might not come back at all.

It's absurd that they are selling that phone for $458 when I can get a Lumia 920 on AT&T for $450 off contract, but I guess that's Euro pricing for ya. I imagine the monthly rates are cheaper over there so you save money long term, but I don't mind being on contract either. I get a decent monthly price based off my union discount and every 18 months I get a massive subsidy that allows me to buy the latest superphone at a cheap price. Since I don't have any inclination to switch carriers anyway, it works out for me. Still, there are a lot of folks who hate contracts, don't live in the US, etc. and while Nokia has made a lot of progress with the 620, the 720 seems like a step backwards in specs/pricing. Especially with how quickly and aggressively Android OEM's are pushing great specs into the mid range.

When you and Brett left Windows Phone last year, there were no real options. I wasn't even mad. 7.5 phones were DOA and the only sane options were Android or iPhone. Things got better in the fall and are much better this year, but its still a situation where Android is getting cheaper while the software is getting better faster than Windows Phone.

The 8X is a good phone with good specs and a gorgeous design, but without Nokia's software support, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who plans to keep it for 2 years. My brother loves his 8X but he doesn't care about updates and new features and all the stuff you learn about when you spend a ton of time in phone threads. The 8x did get Portico and I assume it will get GDR2 and 3, but the Nokia phones generally get more updates, faster, and they get exclusive software as well.

Tomcat

there is an instagram 3rd party app that can post pics. and an official app is said to be released soon

there is an instagram 3rd party app that can post pics. and an official app is said to be released soon

Instagram is free and there's no reason to pay 2.49 for a crappy 3rd party app.

It's absurd that they are selling that phone for $458 when I can get a Lumia 920 on AT&T for $450 off contract, but I guess that's Euro pricing for ya. I imagine the monthly rates are cheaper over there so you save money long term, but I don't mind being on contract either. I get a decent monthly price based off my union discount and every 18 months I get a massive subsidy that allows me to buy the latest superphone at a cheap price. Since I don't have any inclination to switch carriers anyway, it works out for me. Still, there are a lot of folks who hate contracts, don't live in the US, etc. and while Nokia has made a lot of progress with the 620, the 720 seems like a step backwards in specs/pricing. Especially with how quickly and aggressively Android OEM's are pushing great specs into the mid range.

When you and Brett left Windows Phone last year, there were no real options. I wasn't even mad. 7.5 phones were DOA and the only sane options were Android or iPhone. Things got better in the fall and are much better this year, but its still a situation where Android is getting cheaper while the software is getting better faster than Windows Phone.

The 8X is a good phone with good specs and a gorgeous design, but without Nokia's software support, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who plans to keep it for 2 years. My brother loves his 8X but he doesn't care about updates and new features and all the stuff you learn about when you spend a ton of time in phone threads. The 8x did get Portico and I assume it will get GDR2 and 3, but the Nokia phones generally get more updates, faster, and they get exclusive software as well.

I'm still not really interested in Android, but looking at Google Now and the new Google Play Store, it seems like they're slowly figuring out what good design is. And the part I like about Android is that I didn't need to wait for a complete OS update to get something like the completely revamped Play Store. The rest is still lacking and I hate it to death, when developers still use some hideous orange/green Gingerbread design elements.

As for the other phones, I'm sure they all will get updates and ready for the public preview of the next version. But even then I'd still want a Nokia, mostly because the others aren't even trying and stick to the yearly refresh cycle.

If it makes you guys feel better, Android is still a 2nd class citizen to developers. Twitter launched their new music service today and the Android version is no where to be seen. Yahoo launched a beautiful weather app today. iOS/iPhone only. Sometimes you really have to wonder what developers are thinking.

Android typically follows around 3-4 months after iOS. Considering that it takes longer to develop and test an Android app on the millions of different devices it's not nearly as much of a delay as it seems to be.

How pathetic must someone's life be for them to obsessively read a Windows Phone thread in order to clarify information and promote android the couple of times a week it gets mentioned?

How pathetic must someone's life be for them to obsessively read a Windows Phone thread in order to clarify information and promote android the couple of times a week it gets mentioned?

I always read, post in this thread and annoy everyone in here, even though I don't use a Windows Phone anymore. Hell, I did half of the OP at the time it was posted.

Just leave me alone, okay?

OMG I almost throw my LUMIA 920 from the window !!!

its been like 4 months using the phone and it was perfect with Xbox live, I actually never use any other futures not even a main mobile, i only use it for XBOX games.
now, each time I go to Xbox game and try to sync my achievements, it gives me this Error code 805a0191 "which is wont sync"
I tried everything I even restored my phone 2 times "I lost all my games progress tho" still having this annoying problem !
I heard changing date/time to Auto will fix it, but NO that didn't change anything and I'm still having the problem !
I even called the support and the agent couldn't help at all !
so please can anyone help me?
I really regret buying like 30 games on WP8 now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom