• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomcat

Instagram is free and there's no reason to pay 2.49 for a crappy 3rd party app.

yeah its free but 2.49 beats not being able to post anything(if you care for this social network).

and its not a crap app. in fact we should give credit to the developers for thinking outside of the box and finding a solution like this. I didn't see anyone else doing something similar. Not on Symbian not on BB and not even on android (until they got the official app).

maeh2k

It's absurd that they are selling that phone for $458 when I can get a Lumia 920 on AT&T for $450 off contract, but I guess that's Euro pricing for ya.

You can't directly compare those prices. Usually the RSP is about the same in Dollars as in Euros. The 720 is a ~350 Euros/Dollars phone. The 920 is a ~650 Euros/Dollars phone. AT&T subsidizes even the off-contract phones.

Right now the 720 may beem a bit overpriced. Especially compared to the 820 (which was originally sold for 450 to 500 Euros, but has since dropped to less than 400). It's often hard to compare new phones to older models. With the high-end phones the new ones usually have improved specs to justify the price, but in the mid-range the new phones are also compared to last year's high-end ones, which have come down in price.

I always read, post in this thread and annoy everyone in here, even though I don't use a Windows Phone anymore. Hell, I did half of the OP at the time it was posted.

Just leave me alone, okay?

I think he meant the comment for Android Soldier and not you.

I said it before 720 and 820 just doesn't make sense in the scheme of things. There are plenty people like Brot, who doesn't care for the OIS, the wireless charging and just want a good screen. 820 should have 720p screen resolution and omit the OIS camera. They could have decent phone on Verizons already but nope, they went with cheap screen for 820 and then put it out on other carriers and watch it died. Even on At&t there really is no need for 820. 520 I could see as super low cost phone and 620 for those that want small form factor.

Anyway, I went to check out the One. Pretty phone but the buttons on them is crappy and I am not ready to jump to Android yet. Also pretty frustrate with many Android apps not running on my Nexus 7, a supposedly pure Google device. And as Brot said, many apps are still lagging behind iOS. I should have gone with iPad mini in retrospect.

OMG I almost throw my LUMIA 920 from the window !!!

its been like 4 months using the phone and it was perfect with Xbox live, I actually never use any other futures not even a main mobile, i only use it for XBOX games.
now, each time I go to Xbox game and try to sync my achievements, it gives me this Error code 805a0191 "which is wont sync"
I tried everything I even restored my phone 2 times "I lost all my games progress tho" still having this annoying problem !
I heard changing date/time to Auto will fix it, but NO that didn't change anything and I'm still having the problem !
I even called the support and the agent couldn't help at all !
so please can anyone help me?
I really regret buying like 30 games on WP8 now

That sound like issue with your Xbox Live account. I haven't have any problem, are you in the US? Also there are report of issue with Xbox and Microsoft Store.

its been like 4 months using the phone and it was perfect with Xbox live, I actually never use any other futures not even a main mobile, i only use it for XBOX games.
now, each time I go to Xbox game and try to sync my achievements, it gives me this Error code 805a0191 "which is wont sync"
I tried everything I even restored my phone 2 times "I lost all my games progress tho" still having this annoying problem !
I heard changing date/time to Auto will fix it, but NO that didn't change anything and I'm still having the problem !

You sound desperate, boy.

Can you log in with your account on Xbox.com? Can you sync achievements on your Xbox? Maybe it's a server-side issue right now and you just have to wait.

I'm still not really interested in Android, but looking at Google Now and the new Google Play Store, it seems like they're slowly figuring out what good design is. And the part I like about Android is that I didn't need to wait for a complete OS update to get something like the completely revamped Play Store. The rest is still lacking and I hate it to death, when developers still use some hideous orange/green Gingerbread design elements.

As for the other phones, I'm sure they all will get updates and ready for the public preview of the next version. But even then I'd still want a Nokia, mostly because the others aren't even trying and stick to the yearly refresh cycle.

what's funny is many people don't like the new Play Store update because it's just pretty for the sake of prettiness and ditches the ease of use it had before. old version showed like 14 apps instead of 6 in the top paid/free/new etc

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Google says it's because the time and date on your phone aren't correct.

Doffen

Here you go:

Error code: 805a0191 is because of time and date issues. Please make sure they are set correctly or update automatically.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
what's funny is many people don't like the new Play Store update because it's just pretty for the sake of prettiness and ditches the ease of use it had before. old version showed like 14 apps instead of 6 in the top paid/free/new etc

I think if they just list the apps on a google spreadsheet when you open the play store you can get 32 apps at a time. More efficient.

I always read, post in this thread and annoy everyone in here, even though I don't use a Windows Phone anymore. Hell, I did half of the OP at the time it was posted.

Just leave me alone, okay?

I like your additions to the thread. Though your cynical nature is sometimes a but overbearing, I feel its because you truly just want the platform to be what it should be.

Once it is, you won't be able to resist switching back ;)

I think if they just list the apps on a google spreadsheet when you open the play store you can get 32 apps at a time. More efficient.

yeah, i get what you're saying but... you know what, here is a visual display of the shrinkage. nothing was gained in the switch.

wYB3uUm.png
HcxiavQ.png

The old store was some ugly piece of crap. I hated looking at it and I hated using it. Chances are that it was designed by a drunk man, much like the majority of the Dark Holo Theme. I have absolutely no problems with design over functionality, if it's worth it. Not everything needs to be "IN YOUR FACE, HERE IS AS MUCH CRAP AS WE CAN SHOW YOU". If you want a really bad example, look at the Windows Store. Now that's a shitty convoluted mess with a butchered design and 0 functionality.

The old store was some ugly piece of crap. I hated looking at it and I hated using it. Chances are that it was designed by a drunk man, much like the majority of the Dark Holo Theme. I have absolutely no problems with design over functionality, if it's worth it. Not everything needs to be "IN YOUR FACE, HERE IS AS MUCH CRAP AS WE CAN SHOW YOU". If you want a really bad example, look at the Windows Store. Now that's a shitty convoluted mess with a butchered design and 0 functionality.

the old store was not ugly. the new store is prettier but shittier.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Dunno if it's been mentioned but since I flashed to the latest release (With dat Nokia tool) I didn't have to fiddle with certificates to connect to my Uni's wifi. That's nice of them!

NeOak

I guess you have never used the 3DS eShop...

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Haha, the eShop is in a league of its own, really. I don't understand why they made it horizontal. They should at least arrange the titles in the same way the main menu does, or something :|.

NeOak

Haha, the eShop is in a league of its own, really. I don't understand why they made it horizontal. They should at least arrange the titles in the same way the main menu does, or something :|.

God, I still remember the day it launched, when i opened it to check what was available. Holy shit, what a mess it was.

the old store was not ugly. the new store is prettier but shittier.

Again, I take "prettier" over more stuff that isn't even worth looking at. Seriously. Is it bad for the developers? Sure, but most of them don't care about Android anyway.

Again, it can't be worse than the Windows Store.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Again, I take "prettier" over more stuff that isn't even worth looking at. Seriously. Is it bad for the developers? Sure, but most of them don't care about Android anyway.

Again, it can't be worse than the Windows Store.

I'd be pretty happy if Nintendo brought it up to Windows Store standards tbh. It'd be a giant step forward for them.

How pathetic must someone's life be for them to obsessively read a Windows Phone thread in order to clarify information and promote android the couple of times a week it gets mentioned?

If this comment is directed at me, all I can say is that this is the wrong forum for you if this is your mentality. Maybe a cult type of site like WMpoweruser would be more to your liking.

So many people are having this issue (Error code 805a0191) when trying to sync Xbox Live on games to update their gamerscore.

I searched the internet and talked to 3 Xbox LIVE support agents.. no one know anything about that.. some people fixed it buy turning the Auto Time/Date but some people still having the problem even after changing the time settings !

so today I figured out how to fix the problem
Error code 805a0191 came to me when I changed some settings on my XBOX 360, the "Privacy and Online Settings" so today I went back some switched them all from "Block to Allow" then i went back to my Windows Phone "Lumia 920" and them problem goes away and the phone sync normally ! which mean "FIXED"

Izuna

Banned
If this comment is directed at me, all I can say is that this is the wrong forum for you if this is your mentality. Maybe a cult type of site like WMpoweruser would be more to your liking.

I don't know if that comment is directed to you or not, but I agree. I for one really detest Android OS, but I'd rather not get to the point where I'm oblivious about what alternatives have. It's one of the reasons I hop onto GAF rather than the hundreds of insanely biased forums that if ever met the internet would catch fire like alcohol droplets in the air on a sunny day.

To be fair, I've only used the latest Jellybean on an S3 for like a week, but I hated every corner of it. =P

Milchjon

Excel on WP is actually not bad at all, especially if you start the spreadsheet on the phone.
I'm using it to track my spending. (Yes, there may be specific apps for that, but I'm trying to get into Excel a bit more.)

Izuna

Banned
Excel on WP is actually not bad at all, especially if you start the spreadsheet on the phone.
I'm using it to track my spending. (Yes, there may be specific apps for that, but I'm trying to get into Excel a bit more.)

I used it to keep track of the Kanji I've learnt alongside another app -- it was really good on the Omnia 7 -- on Lumia 920 (with the larger screen) it basically removes the purpose of having a tablet. Very good indeed. SkyDrive makes everything work really -- if it didn't exist and I have to transfer files all the time I would never even bother.

JimiNutz

Banned
You're in the UK right? I assume you want to buy a new as opposed to all those second-hand ones selling for £300.

afaik you'll be waiting forever for the upgrade (prob. EOS) to come out.

Yeah this is prob a good idea, especially since it doesn't sound like there is anything new coming out for a while...

Home screen show & tell? Home screen show & tell (or, you know, have some photoshopped pictures of my family and girlfriend).

I've stuck with this layout for a while now. Obviously, I'm a fan of the 'less is more' approach. All in all, I just really dig WP tiles; definitely can't go back to iOS from this. And yep, they are rad Dark Souls doodles by a talented blogger named Carson (Carson-drew-it)

It's frustrating how shit the WP8 Word app is considering how good the Powerpoint and One Note ones are. The power point app in particular makes browsing slides on the go or before class a breeze. The Word app however screws up formatting with no way to adjust it to the orignal form. Really hope they fix it at some point.

And now I regret getting a 920, even if it was months ago. I could have waited and had a qwerty device ;-;

Zeknurn

It's frustrating how shit the WP8 Word app is considering how good the Powerpoint and One Note ones are. The power point app in particular makes browsing slides on the go or before class a breeze. The Word app however screws up formatting with no way to adjust it to the orignal form. Really hope they fix it at some point.

And now I regret getting a 920, even if it was months ago. I could have waited and had a qwerty device ;-;

I don't think the qwerty device will be a Lumia. The picture looks like a cheaper Asha device.

Milchjon

Interesting how Nokia is flooding the market.

But at least a keyboard provides better differentiation than what they did with 620 vs 720 vs 820.

Edit: Yeah, Asha would make more sense I guess.

The Shift

Banned
Is there an app similar to the many connectivity apps that controls the Internet Sharing in Settings? We received a couple of Surface Pro's and we have tethered them to some 920's but would like a quicker way to toggle that setting if possible.

hwalker84

Is there an app similar to the many connectivity apps that controls the Internet Sharing in Settings? We received a couple of Surface Pro's and we have tethered them to some 920's but would like a quicker way to toggle that setting if possible.

None that I'm aware of.

MCD

Nokia Finally Locks Out Access To Its Navifirm Servers

emhziac.png

Contact the guy who did these apps:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/s...L.&appId=f33f910b-3e68-4d4f-964e-3cf07f224c08

He is a pretty chill and friendly dev so I am sure he can cook one if requested.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
:(

That sucks.

Without Navifirm I'd have had to send in my 920 after it got stuck on the gears after a hard reset.

I don't understand why they'd do that.

Yeah, this is horrible news. I had to use navifirm for the same reason in December. It definitely saved Nokia money because otherwise I would have sent it to them to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom