• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
did the iPhone win that comparison? I quit after the first set. Thought the iPhone picture looked like it had odd contrast, but they were all "Yeah this looks the best of all 4!"

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No, overall the S4 won, which is not surprising considering it has the biggest sensor and is being released six months after the iP5 and L920. In six months, there will be phones that wipe the floor with the S4, including from Nokia.

The biggest problem with the 920 is the software that sharpens too much or too little and the lack of user control over shutter speed and other high level controls. The sensor and ois are top notch, as well as the rich audio recording.

PG2G

2. Twitter: today, I've finally created a Twitter account and enjoy it quite a bit. But the official app doesn't give me ANY notifications. The live tile is static, there are no push notifications - nothing! What's up with that?
I noticed that it cannot be activated for background tasks... Maybe that has something to do with it?

If this is a common problem with this app: are there any good alternatives? Maybe Rowi? All I want is a working live tile and maybe lock screen notifications. The push notifications don't really matter to me.

Since you are new to Twitter, I'm going to ask a silly question. What are you expecting to get notifications for? The live tile isn't for timeline updates if that's what you're expecting. You should only get something when you have a new follower, a mention, a message, and a few other scenarios.

Also, if you go into the Twitter app's settings, you might see "We're sorry, you have too many apps using push notifications"

Easy_D

never left the stone age
No, overall the S4 won, which is not surprising considering it has the biggest sensor and is being released six months after the iP5 and L920. In six months, there will be phones that wipe the floor with the S4, including from Nokia.

The biggest problem with the 920 is the software that sharpens too much or too little and the lack of user control over shutter speed and other high level controls. The sensor and ois are top notch, as well as the rich audio recording.

Is there even a way to take a night photo that looks dark with the 920? If there is I'd love to know because I haven't found a way.

Is there even a way to take a night photo that looks dark with the 920? If there is I'd love to know because I haven't found a way.

Is this dark enough?

QIxZrM2.jpg

MarkusRJR

Okay so I already posted this in the android thread but I decided I should ask here to get more opinions on both sides.

Okay so I've been deciding on a new phone for like forever but my temporary laptop died a few days aho(my old netbook broke last year so my dad gave me his old Windows 2000 era laptop). I was originally going to get a GS4 because I needed a phone, but due to price these are my two legitimately interesting options if I'm going to get a phone and a laptop/tablet...

1. Nexus 4 and Chromebook (I love the idea of a Chrome book especially for the price).
2. Lumia 520 (low end but still really snappy since it's WP8) and Surface RT (my dad owns one and it looks awesome) or a $500 Windows 8 laptop

I'm leaning more towards #2 at the moment since I don't need much on my phone beyond communication, web browsing (GAF mainly), podcasts, twitter, and music. Also I'd rather use have the Surface/laptop because it's more versatile. But at the same time the android ecosystem is so much better and I love the experience of using Google's products. So I come to GAF, which of these two options would you recommend?

Oh and sorry for any typos I wrote this on my phone which has a half broken capacitive screen (left side doesn't respond most of the time). Took me like 30 min to type. :(

hadareud

The Translator
Can't go wrong with a Nexus, but I'd definitely go with Windows 8 over a Chromebook.

There's absolutely nothing that could bring me to buy a Chromebook at this stage. Maybe a few years down the line, but at the moment there's no way.

MarkusRJR

The price of the Nexus is $200 more than the 520 and there are no comparable laptops/tablets in the $200-$300 range with physical keyboards.

Both options are made to equal $700 or so. I'm kind of tight on money so that's all I'm willing to spend.

The price of the Nexus is $200 more than the 520 and there are no comparable laptops/tablets in the $200-$300 range with physical keyboards.

Both options are made to equal $700 or so. I'm kind of tight on money so that's all I'm willing to spend.

URL for the $99 Lumia 520? i'll buy a few and flip 'em.

MarkusRJR

URL for the $99 Lumia 520? i'll buy a few and flip 'em.
It's not out yet on my carrier, I'm just approximating $200 based on current unlocked price and prior phone prices from carrier. My carrier sells the Nexus for $400 (16gb only available). I don't have a credit card so I can't get one off Google Play and I don't want an 8gb one. No space for anything and no expandable storage.

monome

I have the 520/Nexus 7 combo.

and a 27" iMac ;-)

was kinda tempted to ditch both iMac and Nexus 7 for Surface, but Surface 2 will come no matter what, and from what I gather, there is room for improvements.

MarkusRJR

I have the 520/Nexus 7 combo.

and a 27" iMac ;-)

was kinda tempted to ditch both iMac and Nexus 7 for Surface, but Surface 2 will come no matter what, and from what I gather, there is room for improvements.
Meh there will always be another tablet or phone around the corner. How are you enjoying the Lumia 520?

maeh2k

With 700 for two devices, I'd definitely get an entry-level phone. People don't keep smartphones as long as PCs and there's always the risk of accidental damage. The 520 is a great choice and should fit your needs well.

Even with the 520 you could still get a Chromebook. Or a cheap Windows 8 notebook/netbook. I wouldn't get the Surface, though. Like most current tabets it's not that future-proof or repairable.

I'd get a regular Windows 8 notebook. I believe with 500$ you can get something of decent quality that can last you quite some time.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hell no to the chromebook, and I'd also recommend against the surface RT. $500 will get you a decent win8 laptop that should serve you well for 3-5 years at minimum.

Blackhead

Redarse

Buy a second hand Galaxy nexus or just get the laptop now and continue saving up for a better smartphone. What's the rush?

hwalker84

We're losing a part of the WP family. Now that TMobile has the iPhone my woman's thirst for it can't be quenched. She's paying off her 8x and picking up a 5 today. Even though she's played with friends and didn't like it. Even though she doesn't enjoy the interface on her touch. It's an iPhone and she must have it..... How the fuck do they do it??

Doffen

We're losing a part of the WP family. Now that TMobile has the iPhone my woman's thirst for it can't be quenched. She's paying off her 8x and picking up a 5 today. Even though she's played with friends and didn't like it. Even though she doesn't enjoy the interface on her touch. It's an iPhone and she must have it..... How the fuck do they do it??

It is prestige to own an iPhone.

JaggedSac

How much is she willing to part with that 8X for?

Anyone try this new third party Facebook app?

Key features with Facebook JDB includes:

Full screen mode (show/hide bar buttons)
Live tile shows Facebook notifications
Lockscreen Facebook notifications (Windows Phone 8 only)
Supports themes (Windows Phone accent color)
Menu button and home button
Post status updates with photos
Browse photos in full screen with pinch to zoom
Swipe left/right to navigate through photos
Enhanced posting screen
Integrated back navigation
Support for watching videos
Launches external links on IE
Horizontally aligned Like/Comment/Share buttons, ideal for larger space on screen (Windows Phone 8 only)
Customizable tiles for pin to start

jagowar

HSN's Lumia 521 is live. So tempted to buy my GF that phone. $149 is hard to pass up.

http://www.hsn.com/products/nokia-l...tphone/7162563?query=7162563&isSuggested=True

hsn video does a better job selling WP than Microsoft or even Nokia. Dude got me hyped.

I'm thinking about it simply as a media player.... Still no xbox music app on android (gnexus) since sprint still does not have any wp8 devices and when they do it looks like they will be the midrange ones anyways thinking about getting this more as something to keep in my car/offline device (android is really horrible when it comes to bluetooth.... doesn't help that there is that bluetooth bug on 4.2.1 since sprint still has not put out 4.2.2).

I assume since this is unlocked it will work well for my purposes and would be easier to sell down the road when sprint gets a real wp8 device and I can finally ditch android and come back.

kharma45

Fugly, not impressed with the audio playback either, it's only slightly better than my 710 which is awful.

Ah didn't realise it was disappointing in that department.

I just don't trust HTC with their long term reliability. Big battery and SD card slot are nice bits of the ATIV S too. Would be my second choice behind the 920.

kharma45

Dat massive market share

image36.png

It’s all too easy to dismiss Microsoft's mobile ambitions as blip on the global radar compared to onslaught of the Android and iOS app ecosystems. But new figures show that Windows Phone’s sliver of the market is growing at a slightly faster rate than Android’s in the United States. Smartphones running Windows Phone accounted for 5.6% of all smartphones sales in the three months ending March 2013, according to new research from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, up from 3.7% a year ago.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyol...-third-place-position-against-iphone-android/

f0lken

So my Galaxy Note with Android 4.2.1 suffered a terrible accident on wednesday and my contract expires on November (it was last month but I forgot some details on my last early renovation ¬¬) so I can't get another phone until then, I looked for a good cheap WP because I don't really want to get back to android and all of the WP8 Lumias are really expensive here in Mexico (WP7 are cheap but that would be suicidal), and I almost ended with a Galaxy Note 2 when suddenly, out of nowhere I saw a Lumia 920 for the equivalent to $280 USD!!

Long story short, my new Lumia 920 arrives on monday and I finally return to the Windows Phone scene, not that anyone cares but still :)

kharma45

So my Galaxy Note with Android 4.2.1 suffered a terrible accident on wednesday and my contract expires on November (it was last month but I forgot some details on my last early renovation ¬¬) so I can't get another phone until then, I looked for a good cheap WP because I don't really want to get back to android and all of the WP8 Lumias are really expensive here in Mexico (WP7 are cheap but that would be suicidal), and I almost ended with a Galaxy Note 2 when suddenly, out of nowhere I saw a Lumia 920 for the equivalent to $280 USD!!

Long story short, my new Lumia 920 arrives on monday and I finally return to the Windows Phone scene, not that anyone cares but still :)

Fuck that's a good price for it! Best I've found a Lumia 920 for over here unlocked is £280.

f0lken

Fuck that's a good price for it! Best I've found a Lumia 920 for over here unlocked is £280.

I was frustrated because I don't really wanted to expend a lot of money but didn't want to get a low end phone (1st world problems on a 3rd world country lol) and all Lumia 820 (not even the 920!) were at least $350 USD equivalent here so when I saw that 920 it just had to be mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom