• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magni

So is the Lumia 920 the best Lumia?

I have to say, as much as I love the design of the Lumia phones, their branding and naming scheme is a mess. I'm all fine with throwing numbers ahead of names, but when you have 720, 920, and 928, you just have to think "Well what the hell is this?"

EDIT: Just watched the Verge video review of the 920; cameras are cool, but that's not really what I care about the most. Is the 920 like clearly the best-hardwaret/fastest of the Lumia phones, or what?

fGDUpEd.png

unlocked price: 520 < 620 < 720 < 820 < 920

So it all depends on how much you're willing to spend, and what the lowest specs you're willing to settle for are.

The two I'd recommend right now are the 920 (flagship phone, amazing camera, builtin wireless charging, etc) and the 620 (best bang for your buck IMO).

MCD

Nokia Play 360 is a real piece of shit compared to the new JBL PlayUp (the small one).

Bought one for shit and giggles and boy, got a dud right from the start (half lower body is broken in half). OK, I will just replace it.

And after some testing, shit sux. Keeps on making crackling noise due to the body/base shaking no matter what floor it sits on.

Fuck this noise, gave it to the family so they can replace it with whatever they want.

Only good thing about it is the awesome treble. I prefer treble more than bass so I was really disappointed with the shoddy quality.

And the JBL one is nicer overall; can replace batteries without a screwdriver + integrated hidden aux cable + audio notification for turning volume up and down.

tl;dr scratch what I posted about the Nokia Play 360 here. I tried another one at the store and no rattle/noise was present. Guess I got a bad unit, two at that.

maeh2k

Any word when the next wave of wp8 mobiles will arrive im hoarding up some money to get a new mobile in like 4~5 months or so?

Not clear, but Nokia will have an announcement mid-may. They will probably show some new Lumias. There are rumors of a bigger phablet or a Windows 8 tablet, but they could also show a new regular-size phone. I don't necessarily expect a high-end 920 successor before the end of the year. The 920 was released last November.

If you don't need a new high-end phone, I'm sure there'll be plenty of good offers for existing phones.

What podcast apps do you guys use? Australian devices don't have podcast support through WMP for some reason so I started using iCast. It works well enough but also has a few quirks.

Not clear, but Nokia will have an announcement mid-may. They will probably show some new Lumias. There are rumors of a bigger phablet or a Windows 8 tablet, but they could also show a new regular-size phone. I don't necessarily expect a high-end 920 successor before the end of the year. The 920 was released last November.

If you don't need a new high-end phone, I'm sure there'll be plenty of good offers for existing phones.

Maybe i should get one of the cheaper lumia as a transition phone.
My launch omnia 7 is started to behave very bad after slipping out of my hand so many times in those 2~3 years. From what i gathered the next big update also comes out at the end of the year supporting full hd and stuff.

maeh2k

Maybe i should get one of the cheaper lumia as a transition phone.
My launch omnia 7 is started to behave very bad after slipping out of my hand so many times in those 2~3 years. From what i gathered the next big update also comes out at the end of the year supporting full hd and stuff.

Right, but personally I don't just see the need for full HD on phones, yet. For off-contract purchases, I'd rather get a cheaper phone like the 8X and use that for two years. I've read that one German carrier sells a carrier-locked 520 for 150 Euros. Pretty good value. I'd rather use one of those for a year or two instead of buying a high-end 650 Euro phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What podcast apps do you guys use? Australian devices don't have podcast support through WMP for some reason so I started using iCast. It works well enough but also has a few quirks.

The guys here tend to think podcast lounge is the best one. I use the built in player, but I'm in the US.

Right, but personally I don't just see the need for full HD on phones, yet. For off-contract purchases, I'd rather get a cheaper phone like the 8X and use that for two years. I've read that one German carrier sells a carrier-locked 520 for 150 Euros. Pretty good value. I'd rather use one of those for a year or two instead of buying a high-end 650 Euro phone.

As a nerd i don't really feel comfortable to spend 250 euro.
When 2~3 months later new flag ship models come out :).
Gonna wait it out till december i think not that it has any real need but i just want the new flag ship model. And maybe do some mobile development next year.

kharma45

That is not comparable. 7.8 adds a new start screen, Windows Phone v.Next would be a bit bigger than that.

It's support none-the-less, and will likely see the next 7.x update too. I foresee no reason why Microsoft will drop support for 512MB devices in the foreseeable future. They tweeted too saying all WP8 devices would be supported but I can't seem to find where it was posted.

It's support none-the-less, and will likely see the next 7.x update too. I foresee no reason why Microsoft will drop support for 512MB devices in the foreseeable future. They tweeted too saying all WP8 devices would be supported but I can't seem to find where it was posted.

I wasn't saying they're dropping support soon. They said 18 months would be minimum.

MCD

We don't need even more tiles on the start screen.

Why not? Because it will ruin the metro look?

Like your regular Joe would give a fuck.

I don't care about the start screen though, I want the notifications and other stuff and this time NOT ENOUGH TIME won't cut it.

maeh2k

We don't need even more tiles on the start screen.

We do. Bigger screen, more tiles. Makes sense. With a 6" device there's enough room for three columns. With smaller screens it wouldn't need to show three columns.

And like I mentioned before, a three-column layout without using the small tiles might actually look pretty nice and clean and work well for people who liked the start screen in 7, but thought the one in 8 was too busy and the medium tiles too large.

It looks absoutely stupid and disgusting! How hard is that to see? I might as well stay on Android if they go that route, because those mock-ups don't look better than ICS or JB.

2010: live tiles are amazing! lol, grid of icons
2011: live tiles are even better!
2012: amazing and personal grid of icons!
2013: a bigger grid of icons than the competition!

maeh2k

It looks absoutely stupid and disgusting! How hard is that to see? I might as well stay on Android if they go that route, because those mock-ups don't look better than ICS or JB.

2010: live tiles are amazing! lol, grid of icons
2011: live tiles are even better!
2012: amazing and personal grid of icons!
2013: a bigger grid of icons than the competition!

Being able to adjust the size yourself doesn't diminish the tiles. In 8 mid-size-only grids may look slightly too large and you don't see quite as many tiles as on 7, but that doesn't change anything from 2010/11. For some apps you might even opt for small tiles since they don't offer live information. You can still arrive at a very pleasing arrangement. Another column doesn't automatically hurt the look, either. Instead of a 2x4 layout of mid-size tiles like in 7 you can choose a 3x4 layout. With screens having gotten larger, the tiles may not even be smaller than they first were in 7.

Izick

As someone who has no smart-phone, I like that design except the smallest tiles are a bit too small. I don't want them to look like Android/ios icons, because I've always loved the big, in your face design of the tiles of the past.

hwalker84

Dat iPhone prestige!!

The woman named about 10 thing she hated about the iPhone compared to the 8x. Called the iPhone wack. But its an iPhone and she has a Coach case for it now. The one thing she said that's better is surprisingly Skype (come on Microsoft!!)

Izick

Dat iPhone prestige!!

The woman named about 10 thing she hated about the iPhone compared to the 8x. Called the iPhone wack. But its an iPhone and she has a Coach case for it now. The one thing she said that's better is surprisingly Skype (come on Microsoft!!)

That's just unacceptable.

With that said, I'm really excited to see what they do with the Skype service after the Next Xbox launches. If it uses that to replace normal game/party chat, that could be so fucking awesome. Just think, you can play your games and chat with anybody without needing to go into an app or get another device.

C'mon Microsoft why are you updating the translation app with Portuguese and ignoring Japanese? You've got hiragana on the app icon for chrissake but all you can do with Japanese is online text lookup.

hwalker84

C'mon Microsoft why are you updating the translation app with Portuguese and ignoring Japanese? You've got hiragana on the app icon for chrissake but all you can do with Japanese is online text lookup.

Yeah I'm going to need this in November when I go to Japan for the first time.

Ah, makes sense. My brother in law says the same thing about WhatsApp and groupme. It looks like Microsoft never fully fixed the background messaging API.

Whats App is a disaster on my omnia7.
I sometimes don't get messages half of the day to be surprised in the evening with a 200+ flood of messages coming in.

It's a paid app. In what ways is it superior?

The built-in podcast support only has a limited number of podcasts available, and no way to add your own. Podcast Lounge has a much wider selection of podcasts built in to the app (as in, every single podcast I was looking for) and even if there's something you can't find in the app you can add it in manually. If everything you're looking for is in the built-in app then go ahead and stick with that.

PODCASTS! has the same ability as Podcast Lounge to add in podcasts manually from a feed, but having used them both I like Podcast Lounge better. It does a better job of keeping track of your place in the podcast.

Arright since podcast lounge recognized the history of Byzantium I made the switch. First paid app.

The live tile doesn't fit with my start page tho :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom