• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out recently that my aunt has a lumia 920. During my very brief talk with her she said she didn't like it, with the most annoying was "it doesn't have many apps" and a problem with IE10 that if you go to the desktop Yahoo.com and click a news, it will redirect to the mobile Yahoo.com main page instead of the article.

The conversation was really short (it was at a party).

If you get a chance to speak about it again mind asking her what apps she was looking for or was hoping to find? My friend always asks about apps and everytime I look at app store on iPad or Google I never can think of anything to recommend to her. The only thing that appeals to me really is the multimedia stuff and I know she doesn't want to purchase books or videos.

hwalker84

Anyone have an answer for this. My friend has a Yellow 920 and every photo he shares on facebook is locked only to him. I couldn't figure out what the hell he did and its not like I'm an amateur.

I got $610 for it. Paid $525
So why did you guys have such a short honeymooon? I wasn't that impress with it after I played with demo unit at AT&T store. Buttons are terrible like the Titan. Screen is pretty but didn't care much for iPhone looks. I prefer the Lumia design. Only impressive thing for me are the speakers.

stktt

Banned
I just bought a 620 last month, but I'm seriously considering buying the first 720p Windows Phone to hit the $400. The 8X has come close on a few occasions, but what I really want is an upgraded 720.

PG2G

Anyone have an answer for this. My friend has a Yellow 920 and every photo he shares on facebook is locked only to him. I couldn't figure out what the hell he did and its not like I'm an amateur.

Check his Microsoft 'app' settings in Facebook, might need to open up the permissions.

NeOak

I just bought a 620 last month, but I'm seriously considering buying the first 720p Windows Phone to hit the $400. The 8X has come close on a few occasions, but what I really want is an upgraded 720.

It already exists. Its called the 920.

PG2G

Stay strong and hold out until next gen!

The whining about the GS4 review score in the Android thread inspired me to do a Verge review score comparison.

mijAsuM.png

Lumia 920

TjGhfic.png

GS4

GwgKLy9.png

HTC First (Facebook Phone)

wT8iM8i.png

(The Lumia 920 and HTC First were both reviewed by the same person)

Milchjon

So that QWERTY phone fro a few days ago is the Asha 210.

I'm kinda fascinated by what a $70 dumbphone can do these days. Apart from the 2MP camera, I could probably do 70% of the things I need my phone for on that.

Lucius86

Banned
Going to double post like a mofo in this thread and the Lumia thread because, well, I wouldn't mind some help from someone in the Windows Phone community....

So this is crap.

I renamed my hotmail account to Outlook.com because I wanted it updated.

I had to do a factory reset, so I did.

Now the phone won't boot up. Ace.

Reading around, this is a common problem with Lumia 920.

Good news is, I found a fix after a small amount of Googling.

Bad news is, Nokia blocked access to the firmwares on their web site a few days ago, so I cannot recover my phone.

FFS. Can anyone help out? Lumia 920 yellow, Orange/EE branded.

Milchjon

The whining about the GS4 review score in the Android thread inspired me to do a Verge review score comparison.

They seriously used "Sheer number of features can be overwhelming" as a negative for the GS4?

I mean, I wouldn't be caught dead with a GS4, but that's simply hilarious. Verge reviews, despite how nice they are made, are trollathons across the board.

is that Series 4.0 ?

Yeah. There was a very short-lived rumor about it being a Lumia, which is why I mentioned it here.

hadareud

The Translator
I read that too, it was downloading someone elses cache before they cleaned their's out - but I tried this and it still failed to connect alas.

Downloading the firmware for EE now (yellow).

It's not the latest version, but the one before that (just the latest firmware update is missing, but you can just update that OTA later).

I'll share it in my skydrive with you (will take an hour or so).

They seriously used "Sheer number of features can be overwhelming" as a negative for the GS4?

I mean, I wouldn't be caught dead with a GS4, but that's simply hilarious. Verge reviews, despite how nice they are made, are trollathons across the board.

I think Engadget explained it better, when they put it on their contra list:

"Several new features are impractical and half-baked"

Milchjon

I think Engadget explained it better, when they put it on their contra list:

"Several new features are impractical and half-baked"

OK, makes more sense. And 2 minutes into the video review, the only thing I can think of is:

"Holy shit, that's the most agressively bland-slash-ugly thing I've seen in quite some time".

Lucius86

Banned
Downloading the firmware for EE now (yellow).

It's not the latest version, but the one before that (just the latest firmware update is missing, but you can just update that OTA later).

I'll share it in my skydrive with you (will take an hour or so).

You are an absolute legend.

Lucius86

Banned
Phone sorted thanks to hadareud. Now I have done it and have the files too, anyone who has issues with their Lumia 920 I am more than happy to help guide them with the process.

If you live in Europe and are looking for a cheap Windows Phone, you might want to check your online retailers or ebay for the Samsung ATIV S. It looks like Samsung sent the phone to die there and retailers are trying to get rid of it = cheap prices.

If you live in Europe and are looking for a cheap Windows Phone, you might want to check your online retailers or ebay for the Samsung ATIV S. It looks like Samsung sent the phone to die there and retailers are trying to get rid of it = cheap prices.

Do you have any links? You're from Germany right?

Do you have any links? You're from Germany right?

If you want a link from a German retailer, mindfactory.de has it for 289 EUR.
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/info/p830976/

Expansys.co.uk is selling it for £269.99.
http://www.expansys.com/samsung-ativ-s-16gb-grey-249196/

The only problem I have with the Ativ S is the lack of support. It will obviously get major OS updates, but other than that, Samsung is pretty much done with the device. XDA Developers doesn't even have a forum section for the phone.

AkuMifune

Banned
My contract is up tomorrow (Verizon) and I think I've talked myself into the Windows phone. I can get the HTX 8X today for $40 or wait for the Lumia 928 maybe next month, probably $199. I really don't want to wait (and money is an issue for the next month), but I guess I should. Someone tell me just to get the 8X before I change my mind!

Two concerns I have, podcasts and real-time navigation. But I think both are fine now, especially if I wait for the Nokia, correct?

My contract is up tomorrow (Verizon) and I think I've talked myself into the Windows phone. I can get the HTX 8X today for $40 or wait for the Lumia 928 maybe next month, probably $199. I really don't want to wait (and money is an issue for the next month), but I guess I should. Someone tell me just to get the 8X before I change my mind!

Two concerns I have, podcasts and real-time navigation. But I think both are fine now, especially if I wait for the Nokia, correct?

Don't get the 8X. Wait for the Lumia. EOD.

Doffen

It's cheaper than Lumia 820 here in Norway. About $400 off contract. It will without a doubt fall another $100 before the summer.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I would wait for bit more if you can. Navigation is solid with offline nav and for podcasts get Podcast Lounge.

What are the chances that the next flagship Lumia won't be a timed ATT exclusive?

AKA has Nokia/MS learned anything?

I'm pretty sure their ATT exclusivity has been pretty beneficial for them. ATT pushes the phone like crazy, and gave the phone a crazy subsidy. (iirc $99 at launch) So solely in business terms, it makes no sense to give it up. EOS is gonna be ATT exclusive, or else they wouldn't have bothered with a Lumia 928

kharma45

If you want a link from a German retailer, mindfactory.de has it for 289 EUR.
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/info/p830976/

Expansys.co.uk is selling it for £269.99.
http://www.expansys.com/samsung-ativ-s-16gb-grey-249196/

The only problem I have with the Ativ S is the lack of support. It will obviously get major OS updates, but other than that, Samsung is pretty much done with the device. XDA Developers doesn't even have a forum section for the phone.

Not too bad a price for an unlocked one. I've found the Lumia 920 for £275 on 3, if it was unlocked or O2 I'd consider it.

PG2G

I'm pretty sure their ATT exclusivity has been pretty beneficial for them. ATT pushes the phone like crazy, and gave the phone a crazy subsidy. (iirc $99 at launch) So solely in business terms, it makes no sense to give it up. EOS is gonna be ATT exclusive, or else they wouldn't have bothered with a Lumia 928

According to this, the Verizon 822 is actually the most used Windows Phone in the US.

US usage. In the United States, the top five Windows Phone handsets are the Nokia Lumia 822 (22 percent), Lumia 920 (20 percent), HTC 8X (16 percent), Lumia 900 (8 percent) and Lumia 710 (6 percent). This is largely unchanged from last month. That said, Nokia jumped 2 percentage points to 66 percent of the US market at the expense of Samsung; HTC remains unchanged at 26 percent.

You have to wonder if Nokia would have done even better had they put a flagship device on Verizon too.

Subitai

According to this, the Verizon 822 is actually the most used Windows Phone in the US.

You have to wonder if Nokia would have done even better had they put a flagship device on Verizon too.
I have an 822 :D

Now why hasn't this led to more accessory support. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom