• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to this, the Verizon 822 is actually the most used Windows Phone in the US.

You have to wonder if Nokia would have done even better had they put a flagship device on Verizon too.

They undoubtedly would have, seeing as Verizon is the largest carrier in America. They haven't been quite as receptive to windows phone as ATT has however.

dLMN8R

Does anyone know of any method - whether legitimate or outright hackey hack - to back up text messages from a Samsung Focus into some sort of quasi-readable format?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's cheaper than Lumia 820 here in Norway. About $400 off contract. It will without a doubt fall another $100 before the summer.

Its still about $500 here in North America. More than the 920, which beats it in just about every category except the ones faceless master cares about.

MarkusRJR

So apparently the Lumia 620 isn't coming to my carrier anymore, and instead the Lumia 520 is. Is the 520 any good? Does it have a microSD card slot?

Also, is there a way to change colors? It's only coming to my carrier in black, but I'd like to get a red face plate online if possible. Are the colors entirely comprised of the battery covers, or are do the colors continue onto the phone? It'd be shitty to end up getting the phone only to find out the black takes up the sides of the phone too.

NeOak

So apparently the Lumia 620 isn't coming to my carrier anymore, and instead the Lumia 520 is. Is the 520 any good? Does it have a microSD card slot?

Also, is there a way to change colors? It's only coming to my carrier in black, but I'd like to get a red face plate online if possible. Are the colors entirely comprised of the battery covers, or are do the colors continue onto the phone? It'd be shitty to end up getting the phone only to find out the black takes up the sides of the phone too.

Yes to good, no Foward camera though.
Yes to microSD. Takes even microSDXC
No to different colors from the original one. Cover can't be changed.

MarkusRJR

Yes to good, no Foward camera though.
Yes to microSD. Takes even microSDXC
No to colors. Cover can't be changed.
Sweet @ the first two.

But what do you mean the cover can't be changed? The battery is removable so wouldn't that mean the back comes off?

NeOak

Sweet @ the first two.

But what do you mean the cover can't be changed? The battery is removable so wouldn't that mean the back comes off?

Hmm you're right

440x330-nokia-lumia-520-5.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
Was a bit hesitant to set up 2-factor authentication for my MS account since I read about problems on WP and that you probably had to do a soft reset to get things working again.

Happy to report that it worked without a hiccup. Entered an app specific password on my phone and it's syncing fine and downloading from the store works too.

MarkusRJR

So what's the deal with this "other data" I keep hearing about? I was looking for more info on the Lumia 520 and ended up seeing a bunch of threads on it with no real explanation as to what it is.

maeh2k

Was a bit hesitant to set up 2-factor authentication for my MS account since I read about problems on WP and that you probably had to do a soft reset to get things working again.

Happy to report that it worked without a hiccup. Entered an app specific password on my phone and it's syncing fine and downloading from the store works too.

What effect does two-factor authentication have on the phone? Do you have to enter the password every time you boot/unlock? Or every time you download an app or something?

I'm not sure I want/need two-factor auth.
On the PC I believe you can specify that it should remember that machine and, thus, don't have to enter it. Not sure if that means you will never have to log in with two factors or if you still have to have a second factor for the things like MS account settings (which have used two factors for a long time).
So that would be appealing to have two-factor authentication only for machines you haven't used before and don't own, without the constant hassle when you sign in on your regular machines.
But when you add all those other devices and specific platforms... might be more trouble than it's worth.

Also wondering if I should try two-factor auth. on other services such as lastpass. Would I need to enter a code every time I start my browser (which has the lastpass plugin)?

maeh2k

So what's the deal with this "other data" I keep hearing about? I was looking for more info on the Lumia 520 and ended up seeing a bunch of threads on it with no real explanation as to what it is.

It's temporary data that doesn't get deleted automatically and thus builds up over time. Apps cause temporary data as well as things like automatically having your photos uploaded to SkyDrive.

It's especially troubling on phones with only 4 GB memory. With the 520 not so much. Nokia have already released a Storage Check app which allows you to delete those temporary files. I don't think it's an issue with the 520.

hadareud

The Translator
What effect does two-factor authentication have on the phone? Do you have to enter the password every time you boot/unlock? Or every time you download an app or something?

I'm not sure I want/need two-factor auth.
On the PC I believe you can specify that it should remember that machine and, thus, don't have to enter it. Not sure if that means you will never have to log in with two factors or if you still have to have a second factor for the things like MS account settings (which have used two factors for a long time).
So that would be appealing to have two-factor authentication only for machines you haven't used before and don't own, without the constant hassle when you sign in on your regular machines.
But when you add all those other devices and specific platforms... might be more trouble than it's worth.

Also wondering if I should try two-factor auth. on other services such as lastpass. Would I need to enter a code every time I start my browser (which has the lastpass plugin)?

Quick answers:

- you set up application specific passwords for your devices (phone, pc). You only have to enter them once and they'll work forever on that device.
- for all the browsers you use an authenticator app that gives you a code (that changes every 30 seconds or so) when you log in. You have the option to check a box and set a cookie to not be asked for a code again in that browser (the cookie will probably be valid for 30 days or so, but that's just a guess)
- LastPass works the exact same way. You can use a google authenticator app for that (haven't tried if the MS one works for it yet). There's alternatives in the WP store, I use an app called virtual tokenfactor)

MarkusRJR

It's temporary data that doesn't get deleted automatically and thus builds up over time. Apps cause temporary data as well as things like automatically having your photos uploaded to SkyDrive.

It's especially troubling on phones with only 4 GB memory. With the 520 not so much. Nokia have already released a Storage Check app which allows you to delete those temporary files. I don't think it's an issue with the 520.
Oh okay well as long as it's not going to eat up all my storage it's not a major problem. I have a few more questions:

-I used to own a Lumia 610, will I get a major increase in performance (like web browsing and apps)? I remember the apps (twitter and Facebook especially) being unusably slow at times.
-Does this phone have HSPA+ (like when it shows H on the signal indicator) or just normal 3G?
-Can you download music from Xbox Music directly to the microSD card?
-Are there any ways to pick up a replacement battery cover? I'd kill to get a red or yellow back plate.

Oh okay well as long as it's not going to eat up all my storage it's not a major problem. I have a few more questions:

-I used to own a Lumia 610, will I get a major increase in performance (like web browsing and apps)? I remember the apps (twitter and Facebook especially) being unusably slow at times.
-Does this phone have HSPA+ (like when it shows H on the signal indicator) or just normal 3G?
-Can you download music from Xbox Music directly to the microSD card?
-Are there any ways to pick up a replacement battery cover? I'd kill to get a red or yellow back plate.

Yes to everything.

For specs, check out the OP, someone made some pretty pictures with specs and all that stuff. But I'll save you some time.

520vkd6x.png

As for the covers: http://ca.mobilefun.com/33199/nokia/lumia-520.htm

MarkusRJR

Yes to everything.

For specs, check out the OP, someone made some pretty pictures with specs and all that stuff. But I'll save you some time.

520vkd6x.png
Awesome. I was originally going to splurge on an S4 but I realized I didn't really need such a high end smartphone. Count me back into Windows Phone. PayPal support in the app store makes me able to actually purchase apps/games now (unlike on WP7 and android). Fuck yeah.

Awesome. I was originally going to splurge on an S4 but I realized I didn't really need such a high end smartphone. Count me back into Windows Phone. PayPal support in the app store makes me able to actually purchase apps/games now (unlike on WP7 and android). Fuck yeah.

I think I read somewhere that it only has edge in the US.

The Lumia 520 is supposed to be the cheapest phone running Windows Phone 8. You have to cut corners somewhere.

Speaking of cheap windows phones, when do you think Nokia will transition their Asha line over to windows phone? (if ever) Maybe they could work with Microsoft to get the next revision to support ultra low spec hardware. Idk, I feel like it'd be a boon for the platform if they could accomplish that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
:lol I assume the 928. A surprise would be nice, but I doubt it.

edit: however, like engadget says, having the 928 revealed in Europe would be odd.

Milchjon

Speaking of cheap windows phones, when do you think Nokia will transition their Asha line over to windows phone? (if ever) Maybe they could work with Microsoft to get the next revision to support ultra low spec hardware. Idk, I feel like it'd be a boon for the platform if they could accomplish that.

WP licensing is probably cost prohibitive. Can't see a $70 phone with a licensed OS. But maybe they can go Android!

Plus fragmentation.

Blackhead

Redarse
My carrier is 3G and faster only. It doesn't even support 2G speeds. :p

Are you buying this on a Tab? If you're getting a subsidized phone it usually makes the most sense to get the most expensive phone with the biggest discount, flip new and unopened to someone else, buy the cheaper phone you're happy with and pocket the change. (Unlese your carrier requires an expensive new plan in addition to the expensive new phone)

All I can say is that's their ultimate goal. The problem with that is that they try to keep the premium feel of the OS, hence the strict limitations of hardware and software (RAM limitations on apps), so it might take a little longer than anticipated.

WP licensing is probably cost prohibitive. Can't see a $70 phone with a licensed OS. But maybe they can go Android!

Plus fragmentation.

I'm quite sure they could cut a deal with Microsoft if their ultimate goal is to get more windows phones in more hands. Doesn't Microsoft give quite a lot of money to Nokia every quarter anyway?

MarkusRJR

Are you buying this on a Tab? If you're getting a subsidized phone it usually makes the most sense to get the most expensive phone with the biggest discount, flip new and unopened to someone else, buy the cheaper phone you're happy with and pocket the change. (Unlese your carrier requires an expensive new plan in addition to the expensive new phone)
I'm buying it outright on prepaid so I was looking to get whatever phone that could fit my needs. I'm not really an android fan but the GS4 could accomplish my needs and more but it's $650. I saved up enough money but I wouldn't mind saving money if a cheaper phone like the Lumia 520 can fit my needs.

I'm buying it outright on prepaid so I was looking to get whatever phone that could fit my needs. I'm not really an android fan but the GS4 could accomplish my needs and more but it's $650. I saved up enough money but I wouldn't mind saving money if a cheaper phone like the Lumia 520 can fit my needs.

Isn't the 920 $450 off contract? That's a good choice.

MarkusRJR

Isn't the 920 $450 off contract? That's a good choice.
$600 off contract in Canada and it's not on my carrier so I'd need to spend money to unlock it. The Lumia 520 is the only Windows Phone coming to my carrier. Honestly the 720 looks perfect for me but it isn't even coming to my country afaik.

$600 off contract in Canada and it's not on my carrier so I'd need to spend money to unlock it.
The Lumia 520 is the only Windows Phone coming to my carrier. Honestly the 720 looks perfect for me but it isn't even coming to my country afaik.

iirc, ATT'S Lumia 920 exclusivity contracts ends in May, so if you buy it off contract from them shouldn't you be able to request an unlock code?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up Ruzzle since it is 99 cents now. Fun game, seems to perform better than Wordament as well since the Wordament devs haven't ever done an update I think.

Hey guys!

I'm still very pleased with my 820, but I've run into two problems with apps that bother me:

1. Runtastic (Pro): anyone here use this? I snatched the red stripe deal and was very happy with the functionality and design of this app. Today, however, it stopped recording most of my activities mere seconds after I had started them. The last time around, I waited for 7 seconds, locked the phone, went for a ride and guess what it said back home? 7 seconds.
I tried it again for a few seconds and it seemed to keep counting just fine... Really weird.

Has anyone here experienced similar unreliability problems?

2. Twitter: today, I've finally created a Twitter account and enjoy it quite a bit. But the official app doesn't give me ANY notifications. The live tile is static, there are no push notifications - nothing! What's up with that?
I noticed that it cannot be activated for background tasks... Maybe that has something to do with it?

If this is a common problem with this app: are there any good alternatives? Maybe Rowi? All I want is a working live tile and maybe lock screen notifications. The push notifications don't really matter to me.

Looking forward to any advice.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Nokia's storage app doesn't touch the "Other" data at all, it only removes "Temporary" data.

Edit: Hell it doesn't even remove the temporary data.

MCD

Nokia Play 360 is a real piece of shit compared to the new JBL PlayUp (the small one).

Bought one for shit and giggles and boy, got a dud right from the start (half lower body is broken in half). OK, I will just replace it.

And after some testing, shit sux. Keeps on making crackling noise due to the body/base shaking no matter what floor it sits on.

Fuck this noise, gave it to the family so they can replace it with whatever they want.

Only good thing about it is the awesome treble. I prefer treble more than bass so I was really disappointed with the shoddy quality.

And the JBL one is nicer overall; can replace batteries without a screwdriver + integrated hidden aux cable + audio notification for turning volume up and down.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This has probably been answered before, but is there a way to make it so that your outlook contact pictures don't change to low-res?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom