• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

So after over 100 charges with my 920, these are my battery stats. (I'm using Battery Sense btw) I can't help but wonder if I'm on the low side if I were to compare my stats to a few others who are 920 owners.

yiwtSh5.jpg

Commodore

It is a very nice app. Beautiful and stable.

Tumblr made a solid official app, only thing I find lacking was the ability to save pictures to my phone. Blueprints has that feature, and their design is pretty good for a third party app, but there is something about Tumblr's official app that tops it in terms of design.

Magni

I bought a 620 for my grandmother's birthday, got it in the mail today and unboxed it myself so I could set everything up for her
and play with it a bit
. That beast is incredibly slick, wow. I bought it from Free in France (they're the only ones selling the phone here, but they sell their phones unlocked and unbranded, <3 Free) where it's only available in white, and it is gorgeous.

UnqH4H2.jpg

Mx7dgAN.jpg

Early buyers also got a free additional cover so I got her a blue one, but she'll have to wait a bit for it, as they're all out of stock (for all colors). Seems like these phones are a sleeper hit (and with good reason, 199€!).

Orange are the only ones selling the 520, and they're selling it locked and branded unless I'm mistaken, for 189€. They're also selling them for a symbolic euro on contract, so I guess that's how they'll sell off the stock, because I can't see anyone buying one full price when the unlocked-unbranded 620 is only 10€ more.

thirty

Banned
Passing 5% in the US in my head at least makes it look like the OS isn't totally irrelevant. If it can continue this decent growth, coupled with the new Nokia phone on Verizon, 10% by the end of the year should be doable.
very doable with t-mobile/walmart's $149 Lumia and Sprint on board with a Samsung and an HTC phone.

MarkusRJR

Oh baby, Expansys now sells unlocked Lumia 720's for $380 (in all colors). I'm thinking about getting the 720 now instead of the 520 if only because of the increased battery, better screen (larger, oleophobic coating, better blacks), and color selection (my carrier is only getting the 520 in black).

How do updates work with unlocked devices?

Oh baby, Expansys now sells unlocked Lumia 720's for $380 (in all colors). I'm thinking about getting the 720 now instead of the 520 if only because of the increased battery, better screen (larger, oleophobic coating, better blacks), and color selection (my carrier is only getting the 520 in black).

How do updates work with unlocked devices?

I personally think the 720 is a good phone priced too high. Can't you get the 620 instead? It's much better value for the money.

MarkusRJR

I personally think the 720 is a good phone priced too high. Can't you get the 620 instead? It's much better value for the money.
I really hate the look of the 620 and much prefer the design of the 520/720. I also want the best battery life (I heard the 620 is atrocious in regards to that) when it comes to phones and to get that along with a bigger screen than the one that's on the 620 is a winner in my books. The price is a bit high I will admit but as long as it functions quickly I don't really mind.

kharma45

I really hate the look of the 620 and much prefer the design of the 520/720. I also want the best battery life (I heard the 620 is atrocious in regards to that) when it comes to phones and to get that along with a bigger screen than the one that's on the 620 is a winner in my books. The price is a bit high I will admit but as long as it functions quickly I don't really mind.

You'd be likely to get a better deal on the 820.

620 battery is adequate, mine lasts a day well enough. Not much worse than the 920 was when i had it.

I need some more advice, popped into my local CPW with the intention of buying a Lumia 820 only to be told I'd be better off getting a HTC 8X instead.

Which would the fine folks here recommend? I got a chance to use both and I have to say, both were incredible. Really taken aback by how smoothly the Windows OS works and how well designed it is.

But I can't decide which phone to get. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

I need some more advice, popped into my local CPW with the intention of buying a Lumia 820 only to be told I'd be better off getting a HTC 8X instead.

Which would the fine folks here recommend? I got a chance to use both and I have to say, both were incredible. Really taken aback by how smoothly the Windows OS works and how well designed it is.

But I can't decide which phone to get. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing the 8X has over the 820 is the screen, because its resolution is higher (1280 x 720 vs 800 x 480). Other than that you get the exact same internals (1.5 GHz Snapdragon S4, 1 GB RAM) and Nokia also gets some exclusive apps, because they care.

The only thing the 8X has over the 820 is the screen, because its resolution is higher (1280 x 720 vs 800 x 480). Other than that you get the exact same internals (1.5 GHz Snapdragon S4, 1 GB RAM) and Nokia also gets some exclusive apps, because they care.

I didn't really notice any differences with the screen, but then I'm terrible at noticing such things. I did notice a few Nokia only apps like Nokia maps and from what I can gather, the Windows phone doesn't yet have an official Google Maps app, so this would be a great bonus.

Think I'll stick with my original plan and get a Lumia 820. Thanks for the reply.

kharma45

And likely better long term reliability, and expandable storage.

I've two friends who bought the Lumia 820 from here, both perfect condition (and I mean perfect) and just popped in a £10 Giffgaff SIM http://www.smartfonestore.com/buy_Handset_Nokia_O2_Lumia 820_Black_B.aspx If you're not happy there is free returns where you could swap it for another or just get a refund.

I didn't really notice any differences with the screen, but then I'm terrible at noticing such things. I did notice a few Nokia only apps like Nokia maps and from what I can gather, the Windows phone doesn't yet have an official Google Maps app, so this would be a great bonus.

Think I'll stick with my original plan and get a Lumia 820. Thanks for the reply.

Nokia Maps is available on all WP8 devices but non-Nokia devices (and the Lumia 520 and 720) are at present only given access to maps of your country of origin.

And likely better long term reliability, and expandable storage.

I've two friends who bought the Lumia 820 from here, both perfect condition (and I mean perfect) and just popped in a £10 Giffgaff SIM http://www.smartfonestore.com/buy_Handset_Nokia_O2_Lumia 820_Black_B.aspx If you're not happy there is free returns where you could swap it for another or just get a refund.

Bloody hell, that's a great deal (£200) cheaper than what CPW wanted for an unlocked 820. Thanks for the link. Seriously, a great many thanks. Goodness, I'm actually more than little relieved that I didn't buy the 820 today.

Nokia Maps is available on all WP8 devices but non-Nokia devices (and the Lumia 520 and 720) are at present only given access to maps of your country of origin.

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't notice it on the 8X, but it makes sense it would be available on all Win8 phones.

kharma45

Bloody hell, that's a great deal (£200) cheaper than what CPW wanted for an unlocked 820. Thanks for the link. Seriously, a great many thanks. Goodness, I'm actually more than little relieved that I didn't buy the 820 today.

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't notice it on the 8X, but it makes sense it would be available on all Win8 phones.

No problem. I've also bought two phones from them too and they've been easy to do business with. They also do the 8X for £229 on O2 for a grade A device http://www.smartfonestore.com/buy_Handset_HTC_O2_Windows Phone 8X_Blue_A.aspx whilst Expansys do the Samsung ATIV S for £265 http://www.expansys.com/samsung-ativ-s-16gb-grey-249196/

820 is the best value for money out of the three, especially if you're already on O2/Giffgaff/Tesco. For £170 you're getting a lot of phone for the money.

Keep in mind though I've had the phone since November, use it every day pretty intensively with all day video and music streaming as well as alot of web browsing. I've only had the app since a month ago, hence the low charge count.

Izick

So is the Lumia 920 the best Lumia?

I have to say, as much as I love the design of the Lumia phones, their branding and naming scheme is a mess. I'm all fine with throwing numbers ahead of names, but when you have 720, 920, and 928, you just have to think "Well what the hell is this?"

EDIT: Just watched the Verge video review of the 920; cameras are cool, but that's not really what I care about the most. Is the 920 like clearly the best-hardwaret/fastest of the Lumia phones, or what?

Ragus

Banned
So is the Lumia 920 the best Lumia?

I have to say, as much as I love the design of the Lumia phones, their branding and naming scheme is a mess. I'm all fine with throwing numbers ahead of names, but when you have 720, 920, and 928, you just have to think "Well what the hell is this?"

EDIT: Just watched the Verge video review of the 920; cameras are cool, but that's not really what I care about the most. Is the 920 like clearly the best-hardwaret/fastest of the Lumia phones, or what?

820 is as fast, but it has a shittier screen. If it weren't for that, I'd say that it's the best Lumia.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If you don't care about camera performance or apps (lolz, there's none) the 620 is amazeballs value.

Right now I would only recommend the 920 and the 620.

Commodore

Keep in mind though I've had the phone since November, use it every day pretty intensively with all day video and music streaming as well as alot of web browsing. I've only had the app since a month ago, hence the low charge count.

Still, even with half the charges on mine, you're getting pretty good battery life compared to me. Sounds like you're even using it more extensively too. Always thought my battery life seemed below average. Might send mine in to get the dust fixed in the front facing camera (tried the air can approach and didn't help) and have them take a look at the battery while they're at it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom