• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

Whatsapp still doesn't provide me any notifications on the live tile or pop up messages, is there something wrong with my app?

Razdek

Banned
Any Canadians planning to get the Lumias 520 just to pay around with? I have a Nexus 4 as my main phone but would like to ditch my LG Quantum as my WP play toy.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Any Canadians planning to get the Lumias 520 just to pay around with? I have a Nexus 4 as my main phone but would like to ditch my LG Quantum as my WP play toy.

lol, we are the exact opposite, I'm getting a Nexus 4 as my android play thing. And I think the 520 will be a nice cheap replacement for your quantum. I always thought that phone was underrated, my wife owned it and liked it. LG did a decent job on it, but the Nokia Lumia will be a big upgrade.

I have a Galaxy Nexus and I'm thinking about getting a 520 as a WP toy. But I fear it might be an upgrade in some way and I stop using the GN.

I don't know how Android works with regards to volume but I know that the way iOS handles it is insufferable. It's extremely difficult to determine what the rocker will affect and when. Sometimes it'll affect "ringer", sometimes "sound effects", sometimes the app's sound volume, sometimes even something else.

I just want a freaking mixer that shows all levels, and lets you configure all levels. Sure, let the rocker be context-sensitive, but give me a single button press to show the full mixer and see exactly what every level and every context is set to, letting me also configure them.

Here's how we solved it in the dark age.

Dr2OS59.jpg

Too complex for the focus groups to figure it out? We'll never know.

MarkusRJR

Dr2OS59.jpg

I really miss old school Windows Mobile. I used to have a Dell Axim back in the day (before I wanted to pay for a phone bill), it felt so futuristic back then. I remember I could play Age or Empires on that thing where I went. Where the fuck can I play Age or Empires now? :(

What I'm saying is that MS needs to put AoE or AoM on Windows Phone.

NeOak

I really miss old school Windows Mobile. I used to have a Dell Axis back in the day (before I wanted to pay for a phone bill), it felt so futuristic back then. I remember I could play Age or Empires on that thing where I went. Where the fuck can I play Age or Empires now? :(

What I'm saying is that MS need to put AoE or AoM on Windows Phone.

RIP Ensemble Studios :(

I really miss old school Windows Mobile. I used to have a Dell Axis back in the day (before I wanted to pay for a phone bill), it felt so futuristic back then. I remember I could play Age or Empires on that thing where I went. Where the fuck can I play Age or Empires now? :(

What I'm saying is that MS need to put AoE or AoM on Windows Phone.

Ughh. Why'd you have to remind me that that was a thing.

:(

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Dr2OS59.jpg

I always thought that WinMo was kind of like having a small piece of Windows 3.11 in your pocket. I loved to have so many options to fiddle around, but my goodness, WM was truly a study on fuck-you usability.

Fjolle

Miniscule increase is better than a drop at least? #reaching

Actually if we compare against last month...

Feb-13 Mar-13
51.7% 52.0%
38.9% 39.0%
5.4% 5.2%
3.2% 3.0%
0.5% 0.5%

But it's a 3 month rolling average and it's Saturday, so i have no idea what that means.

Milchjon

Actually if we compare against last month...

Feb-13 Mar-13
51.7% 52.0%
38.9% 39.0%
5.4% 5.2%
3.2% 3.0%
0.5% 0.5%

But it's a 3 month rolling average and it's Saturday, so i have no idea what that means.

I'd say it means it always uses the average over the last 3 months.

So last month it was Dec-Feb, this month it's Jan-Mar.

So basically, it's bad :-(

Menelaus linked me comparisons in some other thread and 920 was inferior.
I think that was this camera shootout: http://connect.dpreview.com/post/92...axys4-vs-htcone-vs-iphone5-vs-lumia920?page=4

I've only read one other one besides that here: http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/HTC-One-vs-Nokia-Lumia-920_id3276/page/3

Both conclude the same really. The One wins in lowlight. I was actually gonna make a topic (a serious one) about what happens if WP8 never really catches on and Windows sales continue to decline. But then I decided not to because it will 100% turn into a trolling thread but it's interesting that MS seems to be rebranding their whole company and putting all their eggs in this basket and yet consumers so far at least seem to be kind of rejecting it aren't they? I think enough time has passed that it's not inaccurate to make that early assessment. But what happens? Are they so invested in this direction that they will go down to the end, even invest every last dollar into making consumers want it if they have to. Or can they ever change things drastically again and rebrand.

It's an interesting position. Maybe it isn't I don't know. Is it still too soon to even talk about such a thing?

zedge

If we're talking about design, you can totally make the call that the Lumia 920 is better designed than the One. I don't know how much I'd agree with that, but its a valid opinion to have.
I wouldn't agree with it to be honest. My first 920 was practically falling apart. Second started gathering dust in the FFC. Still in for repair. Not overly impressed with Nokia at the moment.

maeh2k

I think that was this camera shootout: http://connect.dpreview.com/post/92...axys4-vs-htcone-vs-iphone5-vs-lumia920?page=4

I've only read one other one besides that here: http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/HTC-One-vs-Nokia-Lumia-920_id3276/page/3

Both conclude the same really. The One wins in lowlight.

Do they? Only gave the second link a quick look, but "For night images, both cameras have the advantage of capturing a lot of light. The Nokia Lumia 920 does much better when light is scarce, capturing realistic colors and with balanced noise levels. The HTC One captures sharp well-lit photos with little noise, but it has the tendancy to burn brighter spots of image in low light and in certain conditions colors were yellowish." doesn't sound like the One really wins here.

Do they? Only gave the second link a quick look, but "For night images, both cameras have the advantage of capturing a lot of light. The Nokia Lumia 920 does much better when light is scarce, capturing realistic colors and with balanced noise levels. The HTC One captures sharp well-lit photos with little noise, but it has the tendancy to burn brighter spots of image in low light and in certain conditions colors were yellowish." doesn't sound like the One really wins here.
ah yeah you're right, I was reading the video part. One does better low light video. First link still stands though, and I think that's the more important one given the site :p

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think the One, released six months later and also including ois, does in fact rival the 920 in low light. We probably won't determine which is objectively better, but you get a higher resolution low light image on the 920 regardless, so if the results are close, and they will be with these two devices in low light, I'll take the higher resolution image.

Design wise, I'll take the One. Less bezel, front facing speakers, and unibody aluminum. We will have to wait a few months to see if HTC has finally sorted out their build quality issues, but they built a heck of a beautiful phone.

bedlamite

I was actually gonna make a topic (a serious one) about what happens if WP8 never really catches on and Windows sales continue to decline. But then I decided not to because it will 100% turn into a trolling thread but it's interesting that MS seems to be rebranding their whole company and putting all their eggs in this basket and yet consumers so far at least seem to be kind of rejecting it aren't they? I think enough time has passed that it's not inaccurate to make that early assessment. But what happens? Are they so invested in this direction that they will go down to the end, even invest every last dollar into making consumers want it if they have to. Or can they ever change things drastically again and rebrand.
MS are definitely onto something with the Metro UI, looking at how Apple and Google are both now going with flat design. I hope they don't just throw in the towel and try another OS approach. Shoving it into Win8 was a bad idea but Metro is a perfect fit for smartphones and tablets. I attribute WP8's glacial rate of adoption to a couple of things: MS advertising kinda sucks, and they're also really late to the party; most iOS/Android users are entrenched and they're generally not looking to jump.

Milchjon

I think the challenges MS faces won't go away if they just do it all over again. I think their strategy isn't bad, they're just lacking in the execution. They're late, they would be even later if they scrapped Metro, and getting faster is the only short-to-midterm option they have.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I love the look of the 920, but I do have some issues with the design mainly associated with the way the glass is attached to the body. Like zedge I had a few hardware issues at the start, but it has been great since.

I think the One, released six months later and also including ois, does in fact rival the 920 in low light. We probably won't determine which is objectively better, but you get a higher resolution low light image on the 920 regardless, so if the results are close, and they will be with these two devices in low light, I'll take the higher resolution image.

Design wise, I'll take the One. Less bezel, front facing speakers, and unibody aluminum. We will have to wait a few months to see if HTC has finally sorted out their build quality issues, but they built a heck of a beautiful phone.

And there could've been a WP8 version of the One, but nooo ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom