• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
getting faster is the only short-to-midterm option they have.

This is the truth. They just have to be faster. They are moving at the pace of the competition roughly, but when you're behind and in last place, you have to be quicker, leaner, and more agile. Like Samsung was in taking the smartphone crown. They are relentless in adding software features and pushing tech specs, even if they suck at phone design and materials and many of the features are useless.

I love the look of the 920, but I do have some issues with the design mainly associated with the way the glass is attached to the body. Like zedge I had a few hardware issues at the start, but it has been great since.

When I cracked my screen and sent it in for repair, it came back with some slight build issues. Gaps in the glass and frame, and creaking when you apply pressure on certain parts. No ffc dust though, and I wouldn't notice the tiny gaps if I wasn't so obsessed with phones.

And there could've been a WP8 version of the One, but nooo ...

Would've been nice, but I would've been gun shy about it given my history with HTC hardware and the low resolution of the camera. I know most people wouldn't notice it, but I love editing photos and would notice the lack of detail. My brother's 8x had SIM card issues and the finish rubs off. Not cool, HTC.

The GN doesn't have a SD card slot. The N1 was the first and last with one.

The SD card was useless for me on the N1 because the main problem was the small internal space for apps and many of the apps didn't want to go to SD or still filled up internal storage when they updated. I'm finally selling it, I will still miss the little fella.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Any cool Xbox live multiplayer turn based games similar to alpha jax? I like that you can play that at your own pace. Perfect for the phone imo.

Loonz

My first impressions of Windows Phone OS, coming from someone who has never touched it earlier:

So I had the chance to get the new cheapie Lumia 520 for next to nil xD. It doesn't feel like a cheap smartphone at all, coming from another cheapie Samsung. Really nice phone for the price.

But the thing that has left me in awe is the OS. Windows Phone is slick, elegant, fast as hell even on this suposedly baseline phone (the Android equivalents on the same price range are just, well, gross). The presentation of the OS is fantastic, stunning I would say. The animated tiles are a perfect blend between an icon and a widget, and you can effortlessly manage the amount of information you can get from them. Oh man, it's so easy to use, everything is so full of life, so seemlessly integrated, the whole OS is jumping at you bursting with entertainment.

Android feels devoid of "feedback" to me now, I don't know if I can make any sense here. It's functional, does the job, but lacks interaction with you, there's no "pull". You just use it and forget about it. Not bad by any means, but it's not the same anymore to me, feels older. It still has more app choices, that's true.

So now I'm an eager supporter of this OS from now on. Now bring on the goodies MS!

EDIT: I also love the fact that the phone comes with a decent amount of internal memory (8GB I believe), compared with the paltry 256MB that came with my mom's Galaxy Mini for instance, not that far below in price. Given that tons of Android apps need to be installed on the phone's memory and cannot be moved to the MicroSD, well, that spells doom for that phone pretty fast. And that phone is sloooow as hell.

Any cool Xbox live multiplayer turn based games similar to alpha jax? I like that you can play that at your own pace. Perfect for the phone imo.

If by similar you mean turn-by-turn Multiplier, definitely try out Galactic Reign or (I think) Skulls of Shogan. If by similar you mean a word based turn-by-turn multiplier, then I have no clue.

Razdek

Banned
lol, we are the exact opposite, I'm getting a Nexus 4 as my android play thing. And I think the 520 will be a nice cheap replacement for your quantum. I always thought that phone was underrated, my wife owned it and liked it. LG did a decent job on it, but the Nokia Lumia will be a big upgrade.

There's just too many things missing for me to use a WP as my daily driver but I enjoy playing around with it. I disagree, the LG Quantum is too heavy, screen too small and the keyboard on it sucks but I got it for $80 to play with Windows Phone 7 so it was worth that price. I'd rather get the 620 over the 520 but I can't justify the $100 difference for a play toy.

Huh. My phone's screen somehow has so many scratches. At least it hasn't shattered yet, but maybe it's my phone's way of telling me to take care of it better.

That said...

Um, how do you "fix" that?

Edit: matte screen protectors apparently do a very good job at hiding them.

frontieruk

My first impressions of Windows Phone OS, coming from someone who has never touched it earlier:

So I had the chance to get the new cheapie Lumia 520 for next to nil xD. It doesn't feel like a cheap smartphone at all, coming from another cheapie Samsung. Really nice phone for the price.

But the thing that has left me in awe is the OS. Windows Phone is slick, elegant, fast as hell even on this suposedly baseline phone (the Android equivalents on the same price range are just, well, gross). The presentation of the OS is fantastic, stunning I would say. The animated tiles are a perfect blend between an icon and a widget, and you can effortlessly manage the amount of information you can get from them. Oh man, it's so easy to use, everything is so full of life, so seemlessly integrated, the whole OS is jumping at you bursting with entertainment.

Android feels devoid of "feedback" to me now, I don't know if I can make any sense here. It's functional, does the job, but lacks interaction with you, there's no "pull". You just use it and forget about it. Not bad by any means, but it's not the same anymore to me, feels older. It still has more app choices, that's true.

So now I'm an eager supporter of this OS from now on. Now bring on the goodies MS!

EDIT: I also love the fact that the phone comes with a decent amount of internal memory (8GB I believe), compared with the paltry 256MB that came with my mom's Galaxy Mini for instance, not that far below in price. Given that tons of Android apps need to be installed on the phone's memory and cannot be moved to the MicroSD, well, that spells doom for that phone pretty fast. And that phone is sloooow as hell.

Welcome to the enlightened side, even those of us using android at the moment understand what you are trying to convey, well except Unknown but we all have our crosses to bear ;)

Loonz

Welcome to the enlightened side, even those of us using android at the moment understand what you are trying to convey, well except Unknown but we all have our crosses to bear ;)

Well mate, it's just the fact that the Windows Phone OS is a pure joy to use, so, sooooo lovely. So modern, so slick, so functional, I love it.

f0lken

Well mate, it's just the fact that the Windows Phone OS is a pure joy to use, so, sooooo lovely. So modern, so slick, so functional, I love it.

Oh god this, I am so happy to have returned to WP, I like that the OS doesn't get in my way, android felt a lot of the time as if you were playing a good videogame and then suddenly a lot of QTEs appeared that you need to sort before you can do whatever you wanted to do.

A Google Now app with a big live tile would be glorious though.

which is why it has me... the lack of apps is an issue, but nothing like it was when I first bought my omnia 7 (have a nokia 920 now)... things aren't too bad and will only get better.

the OS itself though... it's just a please to use, it feels and looks so sleek, there is plenty going on without being too busy, it's so easy to use... and you get all these benefits even on a low end device, it's extremely efficient.

I have a flagship phone but I pretty much paid for stuff like the camera, wireless charging, resolution and all that... but a much cheaper device will look and feel pretty much exactly the same, just as smooth.

I couldn't go back, especially to iOS

Loonz

I have a flagship phone but I pretty much paid for stuff like the camera, wireless charging, resolution and all that... but a much cheaper device will look and feel pretty much exactly the same, just as smooth.

I couldn't go back, especially to iOS

Believe me, the performance of WP even on a low end device like the 520 is ASTOUNDING. Super fast. I know that you get more resolution, better camera and some other goodies with beefier Lumia phones, but everything works soooo pleasantly fast and awesome in the 520 that spending way more money on higher end phones starts to become a bit pointless.

In the 520 you even get a MicroSD reader included. I mean, damn, this is fantastic. I get 8GB on the phone itself and then another 32GB of my own cheapie card. I don't know what to say. The amount of value at such a low price is... well, there are no rivals in my humble opinion.
Not on that price range.

I've been a great fan of iOS in the past, but it just feels like the past now. I cannot see it the same way like before. Old, and kinda boring. WP all the way for me, babe!.

I'd probably seriously consider the 520 as a music player, if Zune would still support it.

e: If you excuse me now, I'm off to ebay, trying to torture and convince myself not to get one.

Totakeke

No idea how good Nokia low end phones are, but low end smartphones may not have the best audio output. Of course, if you're not picky then it's just whatever.

Milchjon

I'd probably seriously consider the 520 as a music player, if Zune would still support it.

e: If you excuse me now, I'm off to ebay, trying to torture and convince myself not to get one.

Get it in yellow!

Nokia-Lumia-520-3.jpg

Also get one of these for max swag!

455212318_709.jpg

(I actually saw a guy in a suit with one of these things once. It looked kinda awesome, coming out of the inside of his jacket)

I'll probably wait for London. It's likely that I can get a second-hand 920 for a good price after it. Saying yes to that is a different matter, though.

stktt

Banned
omg ms copying ps3/wii-u

Only if the RAM limitation wasn't a choice for devs. This would be a hot seller for the coming holiday season.

I don't think the people shopping for $150 phones necessarily care about running the most graphically demanding games.

ShowDog

My wife is currently stuck with a Lumia 900 that both of us are less than impressed with. I'm feeling the urge to try WP8 with the WalMart sale, but it's hard to believe it is THAT much better than WP7. And I don't really want to invest in a 3rd ecosystem (iOS to Android to...). Does this budget phone really perform all that well?

NeOak

My wife is currently stuck with a Lumia 900 that both of us are less than impressed with. I'm feeling the urge to try WP8 with the WalMart sale, but it's hard to believe it is THAT much better than WP7. And I don't really want to invest in a 3rd ecosystem (iOS to Android to...). Does this budget phone really perform all that well?

I felt the difference when i booted up my Dell Venue Pro to test it with 7.8.

The speed browsing websites alone makes it way better.

I guess I somehow got used to my Lumia 900 and Internet Explorer 9. It doesn't feel sluggish when it comes to browsing for the most part. Then again, I've experienced worse.

frontieruk

Depends on what you are unimpressed with, seeing as the 900 was a Premium WP7 handset it depends on what doesn't impress you if its worth making the move, the browsing experience mentioned was an improvement partly due to the browser code, but also new hardware which the browser could take advantage of, if the issues are related to metro then moving isn't going to change that.

The girl at the table next to me has a cyan Lumia 800, but she's talking in French.

Rarely have I felt so torn.

My bet is she can speak English as well, go ask ;)

Magni

Yeah, but Germans aren't even trying. Even our own neologisms are pseudo-English ("Handy", "shitstorm"). Didn't the French recently try to introduce a word for "hashtag"?

"mot-dièse" Literally "word-sharp" (the musical term). We do like to "translate" movie titles into poor English, can't wait for Very Bad Trip, Partie III to come out!

Can't wait for the 14th, there's nothing to talk about until then :(

Samus4145

Has there been any recent rumblings on the 928 coming to Verizon? Due for an upgrade next week and would rather get a WP8 over the S4.

Milchjon

I had French for 3 years in junior high and German for 3 years in high school. I suck at both.

Yeah, I just felt like sharing.

I never had French, but apart from "matiere" I understand the sentence. I guess it means "choice" or something similar?

Magni

To bring it back on topic, if there's one thing I hope Nokia announces, it's a Nexus equivalent: a phone that works worldwide, that you buy from them directly unlocked and unbranded. It doesn't have to be a hero device, but at least a 700 series! Please please please

I never had French, but apart from "matiere" I understand the sentence. I guess it means "choice" or something similar?

"matière" can mean many things depending on context, in this sentence it can be roughly translated to "when it comes to" (or just "in", "you've got great taste in smartphones").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom