• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Gotta hand it to The Verge, they know how to structure a piece on app news.

WP has no apps!

(This app is pretty and fast and fluid)

WP has no apps!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i want mlb.tv back on the platform :(

no idea why they decided against doing it this year, could have just republished last year's app.

stktt

Banned
Gotta hand it to The Verge, they know how to structure a piece on app news.

WP has no apps!

(This app is pretty and fast and fluid)

WP has no apps!

I think it might possibly be okay to admit the app situation is somewhat improving in a way. Maybe.

LWmpNPl.png

(because you can't hotlink from WMPU)

Pageonce is now "Check". Got this e-mail.

Will the app change?
Aside from our new app icon and logo, our application will not change. You will continue to experience the same great features you're used to - with more on the way!

If you have a moment, please visit us at our new home: www.Check.me

We've also created a video about Check that we think you'll enjoy: See it here

And if you haven't already updated your app to the newest version (featuring our new app icon and logo!), you can get it here:

iPhone/iPad
Android
BlackBerry 10 (coming soon)

In closing, I couldn't be more excited about our new name, and hope that you love it as much as we do.

Thank you for being part of our journey!

Sincerely,

Guy Goldstein

CEO, Check

WP am cry

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Who in their right mind would prioritize BB10 over WP?
blackberry has some kind of andriod emulation or something, from what i hear they run like shit but that is most likely what is happening here.

MattDoza

I had to uninstall Rowi to get the store to update to the latest version. And now I can't get the large black tile to work. =/ I've set the theme to default, and not accent, but it's still using my accent instead. Kind of bummed. My layout is a little off now.

MarkusRJR

blackberry has some kind of andriod emulation or something, from what i hear they run like shit but that is most likely what is happening here.
It's not really all that bad to be honest. It chugs a bit every now and then but usually it's really smooth, especially if it's really optimized. There's recently been a few glitches regarding instagram as instagram has deactivated logging in from BlackBerry 10 at the moment.

quaere

Posting from my new Lumia 521!

First thoughts:

Looks great for a budget phone. Feels cheap but what do you expect.

This display is awful. I've seen better displays on literally unbranded Chinese Android clones bad. Can't even hold consistent contrast across the 4 inch screen in landscape no matter what angle you hold it bad.

Wish this had Swiftkey. Really going to miss fast one hand texting. Why don't you like alternative keyboards MS? Just because you don't want an Android free for all doesn't mean you have to be as controlling as Apple. There is a reasonable middle ground.

Also missing alternate browsers. Three taps to change tabs? It's one on Android. There's a shortcut for this I'm missing right?

Going to try using only WP this week. Wish me luck.

First thoughts:

This display is awful. I've seen better displays on literally unbranded Chinese Android clones bad. Can't even hold consistent contrast across the 4 inch screen in landscape no matter what angle you hold it bad.

Wish this had Swiftkey. Really going to miss fast one hand texting. Why don't you like alternative keyboards MS? Just because you don't want an Android free for all doesn't mean you have to be as controlling as Apple. There is a reasonable middle ground.

Also missing alternate browsers. Three taps to change tabs? It's one on Android. There's a shortcut for this I'm missing right?

Change the address bar button to tabs. Much more convenient.

hwalker84

First thoughts:

Feel free to ask us any questions.

First thoughts:

Dude, check out surfcube 3d immediately. Its an amazing browser.

quaere

Change the address bar button to tabs. Much more convenient.
Awesome. Much better.
Feel free to ask us any questions.
Sure will.
Dude, check out surfcube 3d immediately. Its an amazing browser.
Might be a good browser but I think it's kinda ugly =/

Is the hand off between Here Maps and Drive broken? I've tried hitting navigate in Maps a few times with different addresses but it just opens Drive without a destination.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So Halo 3 N.O.V.A. 3 will be this weeks Windows Phone 8 game.

I think the fps we got a few weeks ago was one of the most gorgeous games I've seen on windows phone, amd i really wanted to buy it, but I simply cannot get used to touch screen controls. I need a Bluetooth controller and devs to support it. That's the only way I can play these games.

Doffen

I think the fps we got a few weeks ago was one of the most gorgeous games I've seen on windows phone, amd i really wanted to buy it, but I simply cannot get used to touch screen controls. I need a Bluetooth controller and devs to support it. That's the only way I can play these games.

Isn't MOGA Pro supposed to have Windows Phone 8 support now?

Awesome. Much better.

Sure will.

Might be a good browser but I think it's kinda ugly =/

Is the hand off between Here Maps and Drive broken? I've tried hitting navigate in Maps a few times with different addresses but it just opens Drive without a destination.

Wait, how can a full screen browser be ugly? Are you saying the internet is ugly? Do you hate the gestures?

frontieruk

Wait, how can a full screen browser be ugly? Are you saying the internet is ugly? Do you hate the gestures?

I have to say I'm with quaere in thinking that surfcube is ugly, the small menu bar just isn't metro.

On a side note I think I need a half decent cheap android handset, suggestions?

I have to say I'm with quaere in thinking that surfcube is ugly, the small menu bar just isn't metro.

On a side note I think I need a half decent cheap android handset, suggestions?

I honestly have no idea what you two are taking about.

Its a full screen browser. I mean I guess there is that optional bottom menu, but I don't understand why you'd want to use it. The second pic is tabs, which you get to by flicking on from the left. Next is address bar/favorites from flicking down from the top. And last pic is settings which is revealed with flick from the right. Unless you hate 3d gradients, I don't understand how you can think it looks ugly.

frontieruk

I honestly have no idea what you two are taking about.

Its a full screen browser. What bottom menu are you taking about. The second pic is tabs, which you get to by flicking on from the left. Next is address bar/favorites from flicking down from the top. And last pic is settings which is revealed with flick from the right. Unless you hate 3d gradients, I don't understand how you can think it looks ugly.

by default the enable bottom menu is selected and it looks fucking hideous, and not everyone wants to pay for a browser that apart from gestures doesn't add anything (it still uses the IE Engine) so meh to you.

by default the enable bottom menu is selected and it looks fucking hideous, and not everyone wants to pay for a browser that apart from gestures doesn't add anything (it still uses the IE Engine) so meh to you.

:p It adds functionality dude. Something mobile ie10 severely lacks.

I'm not gonna get into a mobile browser war of all things lol. Truce?

frontieruk

:p It adds functionality dude. Something mobile ie10 severely lacks.

I'm not gonna get into a mobile browser war of all things lol. Truce?

I said it added functionality just not everyone wants to pay for it ;)

and it's not a war it's an expression of opinions, here have a white flag :)

back onto the real issue in this thread, a decent cheap android handset for me...

Magni

back onto the real issue in this thread, a decent cheap android handset for me...

How cheap is cheap? I'm guessing cheaper than the Nexus 4 otherwise that'd be the obvious choice?

Android runs apps which aren't native code inside a VM by default, the Dalvik machine which is derived from Java VM's design. What Blackberry did was take the open-source Dalvik VM code and port it to QNX, which is what they called 'Alien Dalvik'. Therefore, just as Java is not an emulator, neither is Alien Dalvik. And since it's just another implementation of Dalvik, just as running Java on any device is just another implementation of Java, the performance of Alien Dalvik depends entirely on how good it's implementation is. By all accounts, Blackberry has done a pretty decent job with Alien Dalvik, it runs most apps as smoothly as an Android device assuming they run at all. Any app which contains native code (read: intensive games) will not run on Alien Dalvik.

I was using war hyperbolically haha. Thanks for the flag though :) How cheap is cheap for you? If that extends to $300 then definitely nexus 4. I'd imagine that a used gs3 is getting down there in price also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom