• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Instagram is here!!

Lol, just kidding. I thought I needed to jump in and add an awesome new app release since I feel left out. Sorry. :(

Nero3000

The phone on the right looks interesting. Catwalk?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Noki...romise...-and-unknown-Lumia-peeks-out_id42739
nok-brand.jpg

Fjolle

Finally that YouTube 'app' is now really an app, good to see.

Wonder why Google stopped blocking it on MS.

They realized that their $12.5B investment didn't give them any leverage against patent lawsuits.

And EU is getting serious against them.

I've owned my first smartphone since late 2009 and have had it till early 2013. I was due for an upgrade because of the memory of the phone not beeing able to keep up. I've always had an eye for Windows Phone and have waited for the right moment to join the club. Sadly, I felt WP didn't come along as I hoped and switiching to WP would be a downgrade for me personally. So I was tired of waiting a signed a 2 year contract for the Xperia Z in februari. I have a phone with a quad-core chip, 2gb RAM en a 1080p 5" screen. For some reason, I don't feel as good about the phone as I thought I would, seen the specs. I guess I'm back on track for waiting for a Windows Phone that makes me really want it. I like that WP app selection is growing, but man the design of the apps really needs some attention. Most games and apps I try on an Omnia 7 look like they're made with WordArt in MSWord.

zedge

Does the YouTube update allow you to up load videos from the phone? If not..fail. Didn't realize how much I missed this.

PG2G

There is no API to access the video library so it'll be impossible to do an app that uploads until they add that. Though I guess Microsoft could have broken their own rules.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have a phone with a quad-core chip, 2gb RAM en a 1080p 5" screen. For some reason, I don't feel as good about the phone as I thought I would.

Grass is always greener on the other side and all that. Specs are becoming mostly insignificant, and its the experience and apps that matter. Not just quantity, either, but what you actually use day to day. As the app selection fills up, its at the point where the vast majority of people will have the apps they want on windows phone, with the glaring exception of instagram. Some users need more, like the large game selection or music creation apps that windows phone doesn't currently offer, but I'm talking about the average user.

But what sets the phones apart is the day to day experience of using a smartphone and I think Apollo nails it, because of its beauty, simplicity, live tiles, and integration. Its fun to pick up and use, which is not always the case on android and certainly not on the boring ass iPhone.

dream

Wow@some of the quotes from the analysts:

Elop on Tuesday reiterated the company's commitment to Windows Phone software.

"We make adjustments as we go. But it's very clear to us that in today's war of ecosystems, we've made a very clear decision to focus on Windows Phone with our Lumia product line," he said. "And it is with that that we will compete with competitors like Samsung and (Google's operating system) Android."

Juha Varis, senior portfolio manager at Danske Capital, which owns Nokia shares, said Elop may be making a mistake.

"He has closed doors," he said in a phone interview. "They don't have new ideas now. Their fate is all in Windows Phones."

Some analysts have also been critical, saying Lumia sales were not strong enough to ensure the company's survival.

Nokia sold 5.6 million units of Lumia handsets in the first quarter. That was up from 4.4 million in the previous quarter, but its market share was still only about 5 percent, with Apple and Samsung together controlling over half the market.

"He's managed to decrease costs but not to increase market share," said Magnus Rehle, senior partner in Greenwich Consulting, which advises telecoms companies.

"Maybe they could go back to Google and say we also want to go with Android. Even if it hurts. Microsoft, they've had their chances, and are not managing to take off," he said.

Seems like Elop is determined to drive this company right into the ground.

Yeesh, I would hate to be him right now.

I still don't know how well Nokia's phones would do with Android though. There are so many players in that market since it's low cost for them. Plus, they would end up competing for Android marketshare with Samsung, Google (Nexus) and Motorola (rumored X-Phone). On Windows Phone, they're the biggest player by far, and get tons of support from MS. I think Nokia's hardware is fantastic, but the problem is the app support just isn't where it needs to be to get a critical mass. App support on WP8 has been getting better every day, but they still need to get apps like Instagram, as a lot of mainstream users use apps like that, even if we find it a bit silly.

Hopefully they keep working on apps, keep making killer hardware at all price points, and can get a breakout hit soon.

dream

Yeesh, I would hate to be him right now.

I still don't know how well Nokia's phones would do with Android though. There are so many players in that market since it's low cost for them. Plus, they would end up competing for Android marketshare with Samsung, Google (Nexus) and Motorola (rumored X-Phone). On Windows Phone, they're the biggest player by far, and get tons of support from MS. I think Nokia's hardware is fantastic, but the problem is the app support just isn't where it needs to be to get a critical mass. App support on WP8 has been getting better every day, but they still need to get apps like Instagram, as a lot of mainstream users use apps like that, even if we find it a bit silly.

Hopefully they keep working on apps, keep making killer hardware at all price points, and can get a breakout hit soon.

I think Nokia would do well if they switched to Android just because their designs are so unique. Pair that with an operating system that people seem to actually want, along with software customizations that would define their brand of Android as much as Samsung has with TouchWiz, and I think they could turn this around.

Milchjon

I'd trust Nokia to make a non-shit Android skin, which would instantly put them above most, if not all current manufacturers.

Fjolle

I think Nokia would do well if they switched to Android just because their designs are so unique. Pair that with an operating system that people seem to actually want, along with software customizations that would define their brand of Android as much as Samsung has with TouchWiz, and I think they could turn this around.

Nope. Nokias version of Android would probably suck if you look at what they managed to do with Symbian/Meego, and they would still have put a single core SoC in their N9 Android edition that would have to compete with the Galaxy Nexus or the S3 if they were a bit late.

Hmmm....

maeh2k

He might as well tell investors to go fuck themselves and close up shop.

Just going Android doesn't solve a anything. Apart from Apple and Samsung no one really makes any profit in the phone industry.

HTC is barely scraping by and they released the One X last year, which was really great, and the One this year which is also outstanding. Nokia also has nearly twenty times as many employees as HTC (i.e. really high costs). On top of that, Nokia has a huge perception problem in many of the markets it competes in.

dream

I just don't understand the webOS/Blackberry fanesque aversion to discussing articles like the one PG2G graciously shared with us. I mean, are we supposed to ignore those scathing quotes from an investor who has run out of patience with Nokia's experiment? Are we supposed to pretend Elop isn't on the hot seat?

I just don't understand the webOS/Blackberry fanesque aversion to discussing articles like the one PG2G graciously shared with us. I mean, are we supposed to ignore those scathing quotes from an investor who has run out of patience with Nokia's experiment? Are we supposed to pretend Elop isn't on the hot seat?

No, but we shouldnt believe that just switching to Android would solve everything either. Nokia has a 101 problems, but Windows Phone isn't one of them (its 102)

Fjolle

I too can be a Nokia investor for $3.5. Does that make my opinion less irrelevant?

NeOak

Depends. Nokia was the world leader in market share worldwide, and this was with Symbian. People could say whatever about Symbian, but it was the market leader in smartphones.

Elop destroyed everything with his burning platforms memo.

On a personal level, his fucking BS for not letting me get a Lumia with qwerty keyboard like the E7.

dream

No, but we shouldnt believe that just switching to Android would solve everything either. Nokia has a 101 problems, but Windows Phone isn't one of them (its 102)
Sure, but the takeaway from that article is that a move away from the Windows Phone strategy is becoming a common sentiment amongst investors now. That's what I think is interesting and probably worthy of discussing, especially in the shadow of Elop's old burning platform memo.

Fjolle

Depends. Nokia was the world leader in market share worldwide, and this was with Symbian. People could say whatever about Symbian, but it was the market leader in smartphones.

Not like people had a choice. Their worst competition was... Windows :)

Doffen

I too can be a Nokia investor for $3.5. Does that make my opinion less irrelevant?

I am a Nokia investor and I say Nokia would drown in the Android market.

Moving to Android = More and bigger competition. New platform with new R&D. No marketing money from Microsoft. Hire more software developers.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
With the 520 looking like it could be a success, the 928 about to be released on one of the largest carriers in the US and better official apps hitting the store, things are looking up.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Elop destroyed everything with his burning platforms memo.

Yeah, that memo is what destroyed Nokia and its amazing Symbian OS and the world beating meego OS that was set to blaze a path to victory for Nokia. If only they had advertised the n9 and also kept making keyboard toting smartphones! Those two things are what the people obviously wanted and elop threw it all away!

He might as well tell investors to go fuck themselves and close up shop.

Just going Android doesn't solve a anything. Apart from Apple and Samsung no one really makes any profit in the phone industry.

HTC is barely scraping by and they released the One X last year, which was really great, and the One this year which is also outstanding. Nokia also has nearly twenty times as many employees as HTC (i.e. really high costs). On top of that, Nokia has a huge perception problem in many of the markets it competes in.

we should wait for their Q2 results before talking about the One launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom