• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamble

Since I'm still debating on switching to T-Mobile I would love it if Nokia released the 920 for them, went to the T-Mobile site to look at phone choices and they pulled ALL their windows phones from the inventory even in store :-( so heart broken anyone know why?

What? USB port on the top is the worst. There's literally nothing good about it.

Except for a docking situation, I can't think of a reason why this is bad. Anytime I charge with a wire, its always coming from a position where it would be easier to handle the phone if it were charging from the top.

Fjolle

Except for a docking situation, I can't think of a reason why this is bad. Anytime I charge with a wire, its always coming from a position where it would be easier to handle the phone if it were charging from the top.

Most of us doesn't have usb cables coming down from the ceiling.

Blackhead

Redarse
I just don't understand the webOS/Blackberry fanesque aversion to discussing articles like the one PG2G graciously shared with us. I mean, are we supposed to ignore those scathing quotes from an investor who has run out of patience with Nokia's experiment? Are we supposed to pretend Elop isn't on the hot seat?

Still trolling webOS. *smh*

I'd say that part of Apple's success is the huge 3rd party accessory market. If you take a close look at the launch line-up and compare it to the WP7 launch phones, I can't say it's a coincidence that they all have the micro USB port centered at the bottom.

frontieruk

I'd say that part of Apple's success is the huge 3rd party accessory market. If you take a close look at the launch line-up and compare it to the WP7 launch phones, I can't say it's a coincidence that they all have the micro USB port centered at the bottom.

And look at all the accessories available for them... oh wait a sec everything went bluetooth and NFC so cables are starting to become irrelevant so positions aren't really an issue...

it was a nice idea trying to unify all the manufacturers to have it in the same position the the same depth from the rear of the device but it's not going to matter in the long run as people don't want cables.

Most of us doesn't have usb cables coming down from the ceiling.

When I'm at my desk, my cable plug into my computer below and then routes behind and over the desk.

When I'm in bed, the cable is plugged into the outlet in the wall nearby.

Both are situations where it's easier to handle the phone with a top USB port.

I'm not saying it's absolutely better, just wanted to see why it's better to have it at the bottom.

Milchjon

And look at all the accessories available for them... oh wait a sec everything went bluetooth and NFC so cables are starting to become irrelevant so positions aren't really an issue...

it was a nice idea trying to unify all the manufacturers to have it in the same position the the same depth from the rear of the device but it's not going to matter in the long run as people don't want cables.

When I'm at my desk, my cable plug into my computer below and then routes behind and over the desk.

I'm not saying it's absolutely better, just wanted to see why it's better to have it at the bottom.

Agree with both. There's rarely a situation where a port at the bottom is preferable.

Fjolle

As long as you don't use the phone part i guess it doesn't really matter where the plug is, unless they put it on the side of the phone...

Wiseblood

It looks like the 928 might actually have a MicroSD slot? The visible slot to the left of the USB port looks openable with a fingernail which would be unusual for a SIM card slot. To the right of the USB looks to be the typical pinhole for accessing a SIM slot, though there's not a visible outline of another slot in that image.

I know that cables are going away in the next 100 years or so, but that's not happening for everyone right now. BT audio support in WP7 was not a pleasant experience and how well did the NFC stuff work out, when it comes to accessories?

The cable debate also made me think a bit about wireless charging in the Lumias. As much as I like the idea or wireless charging, I'm not ready to replace my $10 USB dock for my desk (for which I need a port on the bottom, btw) with a $70 wireless charging stand. Not only that, but wireless charging is not even an industry standard. You have some big names in the Wireless Power Consortium and they push their Qi standard and then you have the Power Matters Alliance (I swear, I did not come up with that name), with a different standard (obviously not compatible with Qi) and some huge names behind it . In a way it's like HD DVD vs. BD and I'm not picking a side before a winner is clear (hint: it doesn't look good for Qi).

As long as you don't use the phone part i guess it doesn't really matter where the plug is, unless they put it on the side of the phone...

Hated the port on the side on my Optimus 7.

frontieruk

I know that cables are going away in the next 100 years or so, but that's not happening for everyone right now. BT audio support in WP7 was not a pleasant experience and how well did the NFC stuff work out, when it comes to accessories?

The cable debate also made me think a bit about wireless charging in the Lumias. As much as I like the idea or wireless charging, I'm not ready to replace my $10 USB dock for my desk (for which I need a port on the bottom, btw) with a $70 wireless charging stand. Not only that, but wireless charging is not even an industry standard. You have some big names in the Wireless Power Consortium and they push their Qi standard and then you have the Power Matters Alliance (I swear, I did not come up with that name), with a different standard (obviously not compatible with Qi) and some huge names behind it . In a way it's like HD DVD vs. BD and I'm not picking a side before a winner is clear (hint: it doesn't look good for Qi).

strange never had issues with streaming music from my HD7 / Titan / 610 to my pioneer or my better halves Sony car stereos via BT, so perhaps I've just been lucky though a quick browse of around the interwebs shows people had issues though it looks like they should of been resolved unless it was hardware specific as WP7 supports Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP 1.2) which as the name suggests is how music gets streamed via bluetooth, of which there are tonnes of wireless speakers for, look at the rubbish my local supermarket sells http://www.tesco.com/direct/technology-gaming/wireless-speakers/cat14140032.cat?catId=4294878548, wireless charging I'll concede, but then again I was never really that thrilled with it as being contactless means the charge is never the same as what's drawn at the plug so you spend more charging it, but convenience will win out in the end if pricing on hardware and standards are right.

wasn't keen on the side port on the Titan either...

MyNokiaBlog seems fairly confident that it's not the 928 that is getting shown in London: http://mynokiablog.com/2013/05/07/v...ot-be-announced-in-london-on-the-14th-of-may/

we can confirm that the Lumia 928 will NOT be presented at the London event, although we don’t know when it will actually be announced, we’re confident that it won’t be in London, nor on the 14th.

that's some solid wiggle room there, we can confirm, we don't know when, confident it wont be...

They'll probably still be disappointing. No one I know who is considering a new phone has even mentioned the One, they all want S4s. I mentioned the One to a few people but HTC has went to shit in mindshare stakes with shite cheap phones like the Desire C.

yeah, i mentioned the One to a few people who got the S4.

one said "HTC still makes phones?"

the other said "i have an EVO. i want the GS4"

frontieruk

yeah, i mentioned the One to a few people who got the S4.

one said "HTC still makes phones?"

the other said "i have an EVO. i want the GS4"

I played with a GS4 in store on Monday Samsung were having a sales event, I still can't get over how cheap their premium phones feel, I could never bring myself to buy one even though they are better built hardware wise than HTC.

Nokia look set to unveil the Nokia Lumia 625 next week. The mid-range smartphone comes pre-loaded with Windows Phone 8 GDR2.

Nokia are widely expected to unveil the Nokia Catwalk at next week's press event in London. That might not be the only smartphone unveiled with Nokia also rumoured to be unveiling the Nokia Lumia 625.

The Nokia Lumia 625 is a mid-range Windows smartphone , which is the successor to the Nokia Lumia 620. Chinese sources have got their hands on the smartphone and posted pictures and details about Nokia's device.

Nokia's Lumia 625 , code-named Max, is rumoured to have a 4.7 inch touch-screen. The display will run at a resolution of 800 * 480 pixels , which reflects the affordable nature of the smartphone. While, it's thought to be powered by a Qualcomm dual-core processor.
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/May2013/nokia-lumia-625.html

iiV7wGDUvo6fQ.gif

u9UViL2.gif

2TPwJRi.gif

I wish they'd stop with this WVGA shit. It's okay to have a 720p midrange phone.

Sordid

Is there any way to block certain numbers from calling you on a Lumia 920? I remember hearing that the Ativ-S has call blocking but I'm not sure if it's an app or if Samsung implemented it themselves.

My post was more about the 800 x 480 resolution on a 4.7" screen. I thought the Titan had a terrible screen in terms of PPI.

they couldn't even go to qHD either, even if they wanted to :(

DEAL ALERT: Those still looking to pick up a 920 in the us, its free on ATT with 2 year contract.

http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/devices/nokia/lumia-920-matte-black.html?referrer=

for a buck more you can get the HTC First!

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/htc/first-black.html

Commodore

I used to share your opinion, on both counts of the USB better be on the bottom, and that wireless charging is still in its infancy. When I bought the 920, AT&T had the bundle deal of getting a free wireless charger. I likely never would have bought one otherwise, but having it set up alongside my desktop, I've quickly changed my tune about it. I don't care what platform they end up deciding to use as a standard for wireless charging, but simply placing my phone on the charger instead of fiddling with the USB input has become a very welcome everyday change. Won't go back now, and I'm suddenly barely concerned with where the USB is located. Just need to find a really good wireless car holster and I'll be set. If you get a chance to pick up a phone down the line when you upgrade your current phone, Android or WP, definitely consider a phone with the capability.

zedge

No kidding, WMPoweruser and WPCentral type of sites are Windows Phone jerk fests where you can't make any negative comments without people jumping on them. It's either love everything about Windows Phone or you're against them.
Wpcentral is not too bad, although I can't stand Daniel, such a whiney a hole. Wmpoweruser is pathetic however, run by 12 year old fanboys.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My problem with wireless charging is that its too slow. I fiddle with my phone all day long and it doesn't charge well if you don't leave it alone for a long time. I will pass my wireless charger to my wife and go back to the wall charger, that thing tops my phone up really fast.

Firestorm

Oh my god apparently my Focus had the new update that allows me to use different live tile sizes for a while now and I didn't realize. Just updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom