• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkuMifune

Banned
Two quick questions, is there any wifi mouse app on the windows phone 8 market?

And I use Windows 8 on my home PC (and love it), what kind of interaction can my phone have with the local machine? Skydrive, what else?

I don't think they're doing much yet there, but I could see some great possibilities there if they ever gave it attention.

Sure, but the takeaway from that article is that a move away from the Windows Phone strategy is becoming a common sentiment amongst investors now. That's what I think is interesting and probably worthy of discussing, especially in the shadow of Elop's old burning platform memo.

Its just a resurfacing of the same thoughts ad nauseum. The same article crops up basically every 3 months. I don't think much of anything has changed with investors.

frontieruk

Two quick questions, is there any wifi mouse app on the windows phone 8 market?

And I use Windows 8 on my home PC (and love it), what kind of interaction can my phone have with the local machine? Skydrive, what else?

I don't think they're doing much yet there, but I could see some great possibilities there if they ever gave it attention.

Couple of asynchronous games are available, Xbox music shares your music between devices if you set it up to, and sometimes when you don't :(

A couple of the twitter apps share you settings between desktop and phone, rumours were windows blue would bring the platforms closer, though the latest rumours of Ms backtracking on the desktop and start button suggests they decided to deal with the smoke of negativity rather than show why what they were aiming for actually mattered. Maybe the next release after blue will move the platform forward.

To do what? You're doing a fine job riling them up on your own.

Oh com'on you know you do it with more style, take pride in your work ;)

Its just a resurfacing of the same thoughts ad nauseum. The same article crops up basically every 3 months. I don't think much of anything has changed with investors.

More to the point, I think investors realize that Nokia was not a healthy company and something would have to change. The path they were on was not sustainable. Do I think Windows Phone was a better choice for Nokia than Android? No, of course not. But Elop articulated his plan and investors knew what was going to happen. None of the events since Elop's arrival have been a surprise. Any investors who were going to bail already have. Anyone who is still in is in for the long play, be it huge success or bankruptcy.

More to the point, I think investors realize that Nokia was not a healthy company and something would have to change. The path they were on was not sustainable. Do I think Windows Phone was a better choice for Nokia than Android? No, of course not. But Elop articulated his plan and investors knew what was going to happen. None of the events since Elop's arrival have been a surprise. Any investors who were going to bail already have. Anyone who is still in is in for the long play, be it huge success or bankruptcy.

Agree with all but the bolded, but i'm biased ;)

kharma45

we should wait for their Q2 results before talking about the One launch.

They'll probably still be disappointing. No one I know who is considering a new phone has even mentioned the One, they all want S4s. I mentioned the One to a few people but HTC has went to shit in mindshare stakes with shite cheap phones like the Desire C.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
They'll probably still be disappointing. No one I know who is considering a new phone has even mentioned the One, they all want S4s. I mentioned the One to a few people but HTC has went to shit in mindshare stakes with shite cheap phones like the Desire C.

Yeah, one of my buddies was picking up a new Android and I mentioned the One, but he just wanted to wait for the S4. Myself, I much prefer the look of the One.

Anyone know of any good drawing apps on WP. I'm looking for something that has multiple brush sizes, a color selector and the ability to save to the picture library. Bonus features would be an undo and layers.

Anyone know of anything?

Bullza2o

So are people switching to the Microsoft Youtube app or sticking with MetroTube?

I'm currently trying out Youtube and uninstalled MetroTube to see how I like it for a couple of days.

dLMN8R

I don't watch YouTube enough on my phone for it to make a huge difference, so I figure I'll just use the official app so there's less chance that some API change will randomly break it.

So are people switching to the Microsoft Youtube app or sticking with MetroTube?

I'm currently trying out Youtube and uninstalled MetroTube to see how I like it for a couple of days.
I have the official YouTube Downloaded so that I'm not forces into the web browser if apps call a YouTube link, but other than that I'm going to stay with MetroTube

I have the official YouTube Downloaded so that I'm not forces into the web browser if apps call a YouTube link, but other than that I'm going to stay with MetroTube

So if you click on a YouTube link in IE, it will open up the YouTube mobile site, but if you click on a YouTube link in another app, it will open up the YouTube app?

Spotify. It's my most used app on my phone, after Dolphin, and I want at least feature parity, should I ever get another Windows Phone.

Totakeke

So when are we going to have a Verge editorial about how Microsoft is making all the apps themselves? Seems like a good way to get clicks.

PG2G

I'm surprised I don't hear that many people complain about Yelp. The app is kind of essential IMO, and ours is borderline useless. And I don't know that they have a good mobile site.

I'm surprised I don't hear that many people complain about Yelp. The app is kind of essential IMO, and ours is borderline useless. And I don't know that they have a good mobile site.

I feel a little embarrassed anytime my girlfriend asks me to look stuff up on Yelp. I just ask her to on her iPhone.

Probably one of those apps that vocal nerds never use, unlike the majority of smartphone users. You know, just like social networks or dating sites.

Been trying to find an app to play my audio lectures...

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-apps/212651-audio-book-player-mp3s.html

Is this for real? There is no way to save my position in a mp3 on WP8? Isn't this 2013?
Tag the mp3 as podcast (in windows, right click on the mp3, select category "podcast"), if possible, and then play it with the Xbox Music app on your phone. That how it worked on WP7 anyway. Would be nice if someone could confirm this for WP8.

quaere

Tag the mp3 as podcast (in windows, right click on the mp3, select category "podcast"), if possible, and then play it with the Xbox Music app on your phone. That how it worked on WP7 anyway. Would be nice if someone could confirm this for WP8.
Do I need the Windows Phone PC app for this?

Yeah, one of my buddies was picking up a new Android and I mentioned the One, but he just wanted to wait for the S4. Myself, I much prefer the look of the One.
Same experience here, went to Best Buy this weekend to play with the One. No one care, all potential buyers were all looking at Samsung GS4. Feel bad for HTC. If Nokia were to go Android, they would be in the same boat if not worst since they won't be getting MS money nor carrier support in the US.

That said may be they should think about hedging their bet, and do Android variant since it seems Microsoft is leaving them in the cold. Especially with talk about Surface phones.

EJftUds.jpg

MicroUSB on top confirmed. Is that an expandable storage port I spy on top? Or did they just redesign the sim port so its easier to open?

Fjolle

Are they going to announce the 928 in London? I thought that it was going to basically be a 920 with Verizon branding, but all the teasers are for a unbranded phone, and announcing it in London wouldn't really make much sense for a Verizon phone.

And releasing a refreshed 920 worldwide makes even less sense.

Are they going to announce the 928 in London? I thought that it was going to basically be a 920 with Verizon branding, but all the teasers are for a unbranded phone, and announcing it in London wouldn't really make much sense for a Verizon phone.

And releasing a refreshed 920 worldwide makes even less sense.

Maybe its more than a refresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom