• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So rumor of Microsoft wanting to buy Nook. Windows Phone 9 will be skin over fork Androids. WtF, Ballmer is like kids with too much money.

No lessons learned from the Danger acquisition apparently.

Then again, Ballmer hasn't learned a single thing during his decade as CEO of MS. How he still has BillG's approval after a decade of failure is a mystery to everyone.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
They're probably looking to create an "Xbox Books" for Windows and Windows Phone. Would be interesting if thats the case
Sounds like it has a lot to do with office and getting more into education as well.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-office-web-apps-moving-ahead-with-gemini-wave-7000015084/
Microsoft claimed last year to have 50 million active Office Web Apps users. But its goal, based on a job posting on the Microsoft Careers site, is to build out Office Web Apps to scale out to 100 million-plus users.

"The (Office) Web Apps organization is at the center of Office’s Software + Services transformation," the job posting noted. The job post also noted that the Office Web Apps team owns "vertical end-to-end scenarios related to collaboration and authoring in the Word Web App."

One of the vertical scenarios the Office honchos have said they would like to address with Office is education. I wouldn't be surprised to see Barnes & Noble figure into the equation here, given Microsoft's investment in the Nook Media subsidiary.

One of Nook Media's most profitable businesses involves its college business. And as Barnes & Noble CEO William Lynch hinted last year, authoring/publishing scenarios are a place where there could be synergies between Microsoft Office and Nook. Last summer, Lynch told Fortune:

"(I)magine an integration where an information worker, student, author, consumer, creates something in Office and has it immediately published for sale through the Nook book store. It starts to open a lot of exciting possibilities."

For the time-being, however, neither Barnes & Noble or Nook Media offers Office-centric self-publishing tools. The recently introduced Nook Press tool doesn't support Office, as a Barnes & Noble spokesperson confirmed when I asked.

The official statement: "At this time NOOK Press is a Barnes & Noble web based author publishing tool. At this time we do not have any immediate plans in integrating NOOK Press with Microsoft Office."

Sounds like it has a lot to do with office and getting more into education as well.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-office-web-apps-moving-ahead-with-gemini-wave-7000015084/
"(I)magine an integration where an information worker, student, author, consumer, creates something in Office and has it immediately published for sale through the Nook book store. It starts to open a lot of exciting possibilities."

Not going to lie, that would be pretty awesome, They could even build out a service for independent writers to publish their books through the Nook store, they would then be competing directly with Amazon in that regards.

It would be awesome if they can properly execute but so far Microsoft just seems to unable to turn any of the purchases into real value for the company. (Verdict still out on Skype).

I think it will be another waste of money by Microsoft. You know they are not buying it for Nook tablet but mainly for the digital distribution side.

Man I could have sworn that when I first got my 920 all of the news stories were playing up the deep integration of Skype with the OS.

guess that never happened.

hadareud

The Translator
Man I could have sworn that when I first got my 920 all of the news stories were playing up the deep integration of Skype with the OS.

guess that never happened.

Why not? It's integrated with the people hub and it runs in the background meaning you can be called at all times via Skype. Messaging works fine in the background too.

Milchjon

Want a Nokia with a notification center?

Get the Asha 501 with Fastlane.

(Phone actually looks nice)

Edit: Design video with a lot of nice UI details a la MeeGo

More relevant to WP:

A pretty mobile charger (1720 mAh)

Nokia-Universal-Portable-USB-Charger-DC-18.jpg

Is there any rational reason to why instagram isn't availible on Windows Phone? Microsoft is pretty close with FB right? And isn't Instagram owned by FB?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any rational reason to why instagram isn't availible on Windows Phone? Microsoft is pretty close with FB right? And isn't Instagram owned by FB?

I would imagine they're building it but like everything Microsoft do nowadays it'll take forever and they don't communicate with their community in the meantime.

It will probably just appear one day and nobody will care because they all got fed up and bought iPhones and S4s

Microsoft has little to no market share and Instagram only has a small team. The Facebook inventment they made a while ago is a fart in the wind and definitely not enough to let them talk into Mark's one billion dollar investment.

It is that simple.

Same reason why Microsoft has to build the WP Facebook app themselves and why Facebook isn't on the Windows Store. Not enough market share to bother.

MCD

All this swiping around in Asha really reminds me of Windows 8.

Good stuff. Joe Belfiore, take notice.

Totakeke

Damnit. I had account issues renewing my annual music pass and I thought buying a prepaid code instead would fix it. Now the problem is fixed and they automatically charged the other credit card. So now I have the prepaid code and another subscription for the year.

Totakeke

Nevermind! Microsoft support solved the problem by cancelling the music pass for me. Between this and the support I received for Surface, they're pretty awesome. Just gotta love live chat support too.

Itsdagram update:

As of today, Itsdagram now has the following working features:

Notifications – Lockscreen (icon and detailed info), Toast and Live Tile for comments and likes
Social integration – You can now login with Twitter and Facebook accounts for auto-sharing
Delete photos
Create new account
Search for friends – Go through your contacts to find and follow people you know
Full commenting, following, liking enabled
Activity screen – Single list-view of all notifications (new follows, likes and comments)
Loads faster, more reliable connection

The app now is in our opinion, entering the final stages of development. More to the point, it’s awesome. We’re certainly confident that the app will clear the Store, but we’re unsure how Instagram proper will react to it (if at all).

Seriously? Maybe they really hate the Xbox integration of windows phone.

Yeah, Mozilla announced that. My guess is that if Sony were to do a Windows Phone, they'd have to develope their services/ differentiating factors again for Windows Phone. Sony has a lot of services on Android that sets it apart from other devices, and they often do special deals for their customers in the form of offering Sony published apps for free, PSN Store credits and stuff like that. Sony isn't involved enough in WP to offer what they offer on Android. Shame though, I sometimes imagine Windows Phone elegance on my Xperia Z, and it looks great.

I sold my Zune 80 for the Zune HD and I gave that one to a friend last week.

Zune HD UI = best UI and better than Metro too.

Okay! Not better, but I loved how it used the accelerometer to move and tilt the UI around. Such a great detail. God.

Also, it had two of the best mobile games ever. AudioSurf Tilt and PGR. Fuck Xbox Windows Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom