• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was just going to link to an article from a financial dude who says he won't buy Nokia stock until they switch to Android. But then his previous article was saying to sell Nokia and buy Blackberry while arguing that BB OS is superior, so I decided against it.

I have no knowledge whatsoever of stock, but my intuition says that this is a good time to buy Nokia stock. HTC and Samsung showed their cards with the One and the GSIV, and honestly they're boring. Microsoft has BUILD ahead of them, Windows blue and WP8.1, so most of the exciting stuff is still to come. I don't get the negativity. I think that people are outing the frustration that the One and GSIV are nothing special on Nokia.

hemtae

So I finally got the 7.8 update for my Lumia 900 and now instead of having a super long start screen, I have a super cluttered start screen. I was the kind of person that iOS and its icon rows was made for :(

Doffen

I sold my Zune 80 for the Zune HD and I gave that one to a friend last week.

Zune HD UI = best UI and better than Metro too.

Okay! Not better, but I loved how it used the accelerometer to move and tilt the UI around. Such a great detail. God.

Also, it had two of the best mobile games ever. AudioSurf Tilt and PGR. Fuck Xbox Windows Phone.

I've always wanted a Zune HD, that's sort of why I also really want Microsoft to release a Surface Phone.

Microsoft Studios effort with Xbox for Windows Phone is just so weak. They could at least try to release a game with depth. But what did we get? Fable Coin Golf.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I finally got the 7.8 update for my Lumia 900 and now instead of having a super long start screen, I have a super cluttered start screen. I was the kind of person that iOS and its icon rows was made for :(

You can make your start screen a grid of icons just like in iOS. Or you can de-clutter your screen and make it look like 7.5 by using large and wide tiles only. Or you can pretend neither of those are an option and whine here.

hemtae

You can make your start screen a grid of icons just like in iOS. Or you can de-clutter your screen and make it look like 7.5 by using large and wide tiles only. Or you can pretend neither of those are an option and whine here.

Well there's only two icons per row in 7.5 and some of the apps doesn't display info when in the small icon mode.

I wasn't trying to knock WP7.8, I'm just saying I'm not good at customization stuff.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Well there's only two icons per row in 7.5 and some of the apps doesn't display info when in the small icon mode.

I wasn't trying to knock WP7.8, I'm just saying I'm not good at customization stuff.

With medium and large tiles I try to use apps that show something interesting, such as a weather app, photo's, TVShow, etc. Also try my best to group small tiles together that have similar colours.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I'm saying you can STILL do two icons per row in 7.8!!!! Just use the medium tiles and you can set up your home screen how you had it before. And if you want the iOS look, you only use the small tiles. So its up to you.

I've always wanted a Zune HD, that's sort of why I also really want Microsoft to release a Surface Phone.

Microsoft Studios effort with Xbox for Windows Phone is just so weak. They could at least try to release a game with depth. But what did we get? Fable Coin Golf.

It's worse that they couldn't even bother with bringing the two games I mentioned over. PGR I understand, because they'd have to license the cars again (surprising that they bothered with the Zune version in the first place), but not even handing out some money to port AudioSurf?

Razdek

Banned
Damn it, tried to buy the lumia 520 outright from koodo buy they wouldn't sell it to me without a monthly plan. I asked to sign up for prepaid and they still said no. Now I have top wait for a friend to buy it for me. Fuckin crappy carriers in this country.

zedge

Damn it, tried to buy the lumia 520 outright from koodo buy they wouldn't sell it to me without a monthly plan. I asked to sign up for prepaid and they still said no. Now I have top wait for a friend to buy it for me. Fuckin crappy carriers in this country.
Try wireless wave or best buy mobile.

I was just going to link to an article from a financial dude who says he won't buy Nokia stock until they switch to Android. But then his previous article was saying to sell Nokia and buy Blackberry while arguing that BB OS is superior, so I decided against it.

BB10 is actually pretty impressive, especially when you consider this is Blackberry we're talking about and historically their OSes have been total ass. It's still pretty up in the air though whether BB10 is too late to save the company, buying their stock is still a gamble.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
BB10 is actually pretty impressive

Eh, not sure about impressive, but it's a big step up from RIM. I played around with it at the AT&T store and it was fun to use for a bit, don't know how it will hold up after extensive use. Also, Blackberry didn't do it any favors with the hardware, I thought it was very boring. I wouldn't mind giving it a try if I could find the phone for $200 or less, but RIM really needed a stronger play than this.

It's still very rough around the edges, and if you're going to go for a fresh OS cause you're tired of iOS and Android....there's a better option.

edit:

I was talking to a client yesterday and he was complaining about his Z10 freezing and general unreliability.

This is my concern and the reason I don't consider it an impressive OS, it seems to need a lot of work. I managed to make it stutter and chug at the AT&T store.

joshschw

BB10 is actually pretty impressive, especially when you consider this is Blackberry we're talking about and historically their OSes have been total ass. It's still pretty up in the air though whether BB10 is too late to save the company, buying their stock is still a gamble.

They will not win anyone over who doesn;t come wanting a BB10 device. I spent five minutes messing around with it at an AT&T store and came away no better off than how I started. It was incredibly convulated and off-putting.

haha, while I still prefer the 'look' of the original start screen, the new one is not as bad as I had thought. You can just make it as it was with medium sized tiles, or you can try to throw in a few mini ones for the main things that don't really utilize the live tile, like IE, or email boxes. Doesn't take more than a few minutes total.

hwalker84

Eh, not sure about impressive, but it's a big step up from RIM. I played around with it at the AT&T store and it was fun to use for a bit, don't know how it will hold up after extensive use. Also, Blackberry didn't do it any favors with the hardware, I thought it was very boring. I wouldn't mind giving it a try if I could find the phone for $200 or less, but RIM really needed a stronger play than this.

It's still very rough around the edges, and if you're going to go for a fresh OS cause you're tired of iOS and Android....there's a better option.

edit:

This is my concern and the reason I don't consider it an impressive OS, it seems to need a lot of work. I managed to make it stutter and chug at the AT&T store.

The notification center is the only thing that's impressive. I have one from work and have had it since the first week it came out.

MarkusRJR

Koodo fucking sucks in regards to purchasing phones outright. My last visit they told me there was an extra $50 fee when buying a prepaid phone. I didn't believe them so I went home and phoned Koodo and found out I was right, and they made up a fake fee to make me avoid buying one outright. I mean what the fuck...

I'm probably going to buy a Lumia 520 online off their online store as a back up phone.

I was talking to a client yesterday and he was complaining about his Z10 freezing and general unreliability.

edit:

My Z10 runs really well and never chugs or has any visible lag unless I'm using a poor android port or in the settings menu (which strangely runs in adobe air so it sucks). I've never had it lag ala android in any of the interface or native apps, and I'm constantly using 8 apps at once. There are a few glitches at the moment but are constantly getting fixed. The only real major one at the moment is random freezes/reboots, but it's been confirmed that a fix is being worked on right now.

Overall it's a really solid device though, and apart from a few bugs that are being ironed out, the only legitimate issues are battery life and apps. The device is really understated at first but it feels really nice and durable. There's also a BlackBerry event soon where they're presumably announcing the curve level device (which has the same specs as the Q10 but less storage and cheaper design) and are rumored to also announce some new apps. I just wish we get an official instagram release anytime soon.

stktt

Banned
WP (Nokia) has the potential to destroy the low end market with these phones. Needs the apps bad.

The 520 is leagues better than the horrible prepaid smartphones at Wal-Mart. My mom bought an AT&T Fusion. Basic tasks like opening the address book are an exercise in frustration, and the display, battery, and camera are awful.

I have no knowledge whatsoever of stock, but my intuition says that this is a good time to buy Nokia stock. HTC and Samsung showed their cards with the One and the GSIV, and honestly they're boring. Microsoft has BUILD ahead of them, Windows blue and WP8.1, so most of the exciting stuff is still to come. I don't get the negativity. I think that people are outing the frustration that the One and GSIV are nothing special on Nokia.

i've heard the various claims on the GS4 before, but what's boring about the HTC One?

MarkusRJR

WP (Nokia) has the potential to destroy the low end market with these phones. Needs the apps bad.
Honestly most users I know who use low end phones rarely use apps beyond Facebook, Twitter, and Angry Birds. The 520 looks like the most compelling low end device in quite a while.

<3 the commons

The Pasta guys know exactly what I want. We have smalltalk all the time. It kind of disturbs me, one time he told me about a really spicy thing to order at a Mexican food place down in Redmond. I didn't have the heart to tell him I'm the pickiest eater in the world and basically eat no meat...

i've heard the various claims on the GS4 before, but what's boring about the HTC One?

It's Android with Blinkfeed. What isn't boring about it? On the other hand, the HTC One is the most pleasing to the eye of the three HD flagships (One, Z, GSIV). So I'll have to take that back, I quite like how HTC One looks. GSIV however, fucking barf.

The Windows 8 phone "Intelegent" exists: PC World claims to have seen footage.

imate%20hub.jpg

Windows 8 Phone. Sounds familiar, right? It's either the common mistake made by both consumers and retailers or the i-mate product we looked at back at this year's Mobile World Congress. We remained on the fence at the time, but now PC World has revealed they've seen footage of the product, as well as the ability to confirm specifications. Interested? We sure are.

To confirm: yes, this is Windows 8 on a Phone. i-mate will not only provide a device that runs the full version of Windows 8, but it's also promising a docking station that would turn the "Intelegent" into a desktop workstation. A truly mobile PC. Unfortunately, this product wasn't on public display at MWC so we were unable to have a play with concept or demo units and the "More information coming soon." message remains on the company's website.

Not all hope is lost, however. While we haven't seen i-mate since the Windows Mobile days, things could be about to change and there could really be a Windows 8 Phone on the horizon. As noted above, PC World claims to have seen several videos of the Intelegent in action, but have yet to actually use the phone and notes that they can't say how well it works as a whole.

The website does state that i-mate plans to launch the phone this summer for $750 (unsubsidised), with both CDMA and GSM models available. Pricing we previously covered is spot on as the complete package (including docking station and wireless tablet screen - see above image) will set consumers back by at least $1600.

So what are the specifications of the Intelegent? We're looking at a 4.7-inch display (1280x768), 2GB RAM, 64GB internal storage, 3,000mAh battery, 8MP front-facing camera, 2MP rear shooter (stated by PC World - could well be incorrect), wireless charging and an Intel Z2760 to power Windows 8. It's the same chip that's found in Windows tablets such as the Acer Iconia W510, which isn't a slouch by any means.

ron-paul.gif

FUCK YOU SPRINT! I WANT A FUCKING 'WINDOW PHONE 8' DEVICE!

Only reason I'm with sprint is because of their Full 'Google Voice' integration!

...again FUCK YOU SPRINT!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nokia Music is now available in the Canadian marketplace. Thought it was going to be announced next week since there is an event on the 15th?

Gamble

Any idea why in the green fuck tmobile pulled all WP8 devices and when they plan to stop playing with my emotions and bring them back.....trying to switch to them next week

The only reason I'm wary of Samsung is the update support. The phone will get all the major updates, but smaller ones and fixes? Ehh, I wouldn't expect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom