• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaggedSac

It's not 2050 yet.

Anyway, back to serious business:

qkzSzHm.png

lol

Just read a Verge article about how the app store has passed 145,000....but has plateaued and developers are bailing ship.

That graph doesn't display quite that information.

It seems like the growth in apps has slowed down a lot, hence the negative press. And of course they still can't get big name developers to develop for the platform. Instead they're paying to use their name and develop the app on their own. That takes time and causes problems (and I'm sure we'll see some with the MS YouTube app).

maeh2k

Looking at neowin's graph, the drop-off in app submissions seemingly coincides with the Windows 8 launch. Wouldn't surprise me if the people doing Windows Phone apps were the same who are doing Windows 8 apps and are now splitting their time between the two.

If app development for Windows and Windows Phone aligns further with the respective Blue releases, it might pick up again.

Broman1978

I will probably buy me an Windows Pgone this month. Which one to get between
Samsung Ativa S
or
HTC 8X?

The things to take into consideration is Battery, camera and music player.

kharma45

Fair saving that. ATIV S does bring a bigger battery, HD screen, expandable storage but the Lumia 820 is a really, really nice device and that saving isn't to be sniffed at.

Broman1978

But the screen res......

How much is the 8x vs the 820 and the Ativ?

If it's priced between the Ativ and 820 that'd be my pick.

The Ativ S and 8X is about $450 and the Lumia 820 is about $300
And yes one of the few things against the Lumia is that the screen resolution isnt as good as the other twos... But yet $150 cheaper for a good Windows 8 phone=)

catmincer

The Ativ S and 8X is about $450 and the Lumia 820 is about $300
And yes one of the few things against the Lumia is that the screen resolution isnt as good as the other twos... But yet $150 cheaper for a good Windows 8 phone=)

The other option is the 720. You get a better front camera, it's lighter, has a better battery, better GPU and comes in better colours (BLUE) but you do only get 512MB ram. Might be worth looking at? It sells for $200 less than the 820 here in New Zealand so may be the same for you.

kharma45

Even with that the 720 (seeing as its the same SOC/RAM as the 620) just doesn't feel as snappy as the 820 with it's higher clock speed and more RAM. Things are just faster on it and there is little of the 'Loading...' screen.

dLMN8R

Just read a Verge article about how the app store has passed 145,000....but has plateaued and developers are bailing ship.

That graph doesn't display quite that information.

That Verge article is a joke. They state a premise without showing any actual data to back it up.

And it of course ignores the large amount of well-designed and highly-desired apps that have come out in the past few weeks.

I think they're just in the middle of their 928 review and want to be able to pre-emptively justify their mediocre ecosystem score again.

stktt

Banned
That Verge article is a joke. They state a premise without showing any actual data to back it up.

And it of course ignores the large amount of well-designed and highly-desired apps that have come out in the past few weeks.

I think they're just in the middle of their 928 review and want to be able to pre-emptively justify their mediocre ecosystem score again.

As someone that's used Windows Phone since the 900's release, the number of quality apps has definitely increased over the past three months.

Doffen

The app list having "folder" or categories options is a nice idea. Info center being a swipe to the left makes way too much sense. Is that maybe the best way to incorporate a notification center?

That's something I really want. Notification center when swiping left, and folders in the list and at the start screen.

zedge

Nokia Music is pretty slick on Windows 8. How is the library compared to Xbox music? Would rather pay $3.99/month than $9.99/month. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom