• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNino

Yep, each new version looks cheaper than the last.

Gotta satisfy those journalists with tiny little baby hands though I guess!
Best thing about these new phones for me is that I can safely go ahead and upgrade my 900 to the 920 without feeling left out. Sure, maybe we will get a significantly better Lumia in the fall/winter, but then I can wait and get that next year I guess.

So why is no one talking about the FM Radio?

It's hard to be excited about feature we used to have. I remember FM radio on my old Focus along with wifi sync and oh Zune music that properly tag your album. Half of my music have gray blob as album art, I am pass caring or give a shit enough to fix it.

If you don't think they move slow ... 6 months after 920, they just now announce variants of the phone on another carrier and fixing the features that was incomplete and left out. That's half a year for update that frankly doesn't really add anything new. I want to be able to edit my contact (instead of choosing from premade tag that doesn't really fit), separate volume control, notification center etc.). Things that add feature to Windows Phone not putting stuff back that was remove because they can't get the shit done on time.

925/928 should have been the couple month at most. A slimmer, thinner phone without some of the feature like OIS or wireless charging but still have higher resolution screen. And yes, I love by 920 but it is one hefty phone.

edit: I place most of the blame on Microsoft.

derFeef

I dare you Nokia, don't make that phone appealing to me.

977919_10151385690002397_2015058268_o.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
WPCentral had an article debunking the Instagram twitter rumor for about 15 minutes. Now it's gone, :lol

Too fake to even be worth have an article.

It's hard to be excited about feature we used to have. I remember FM radio on my old Focus along with wifi sync and oh Zune music that properly tag your album. Half of my music have gray blob as album art, I am pass caring or give a shit enough to fix it.

If you don't think they move slow ... 6 months after 920, they just now announce variants of the phone on another carrier and fixing the features that was incomplete and left out. That's half a year for update that frankly doesn't really add anything new. I want to be able to edit my contact (instead of choosing from premade tag that doesn't really fit), separate volume control, notification center etc.). Things that add feature to Windows Phone not putting stuff back that was remove because they can't get the shit done on time.

925/928 should have been the couple month at most. A slimmer, thinner phone without some of the feature like OIS or wireless charging but still have higher resolution screen. And yes, I love by 920 but it is one hefty phone.

Didn't pretty much everyone here complain that Windows Phone didn't get enough updates between the major updates? Now they're finally doing smaller incremental OS updates like iOS x.1 or Android x.x.1 updates and some here are still complaining.

Of course it's not a coincidence that the 925 and 928 were announced for T-Mobile and Version pretty much 6 months after the 920 AT&T release. US carriers want their own little flagship phones if they can and AT&T had an exclusive deal for the first six months, just like EE had a 3 month exclusivity in the UK. Whether or not it's a good strategy, that's Nokia's job to decide.

I do think that the 925 is the phone they should've released in November. I love the idea of wireless charging, but most people don't care, so it adds a lot of unwanted weight and thickness to the original 920.

hwalker84

Didn't pretty much everyone here complain that Windows Phone didn't get enough updates between the major updates? Now they're finally doing smaller incremental OS updates like iOS x.1 or Android x.x.1 updates and some here are still complaining.
Because they're adding features back that we had in WP7.5/.8. That's why we're complaining.

Portico
Messaging improvements. You can now add multiple recipients at the same time when you send a text message and automatically save unsent text messages as drafts. You can also edit received text messages before you forward them.

Text replies to incoming calls. Now you can send a prewritten text reply to a caller directly from the call answer screen when you can't take a call normally. It's a nice way to let people know that you're not ignoring them.

Internet Explorer improvements. You can now change your settings to prevent pictures from downloading automatically—an easy way to help keep data usage low. (Easy and obvious. It’s unclear why this wasn’t a feature from day one.) You can also delete selected sites from your browsing history and leave the rest intact.

Wi-Fi connectivity. Windows Phone 8 will now prioritize Wi-Fi connections based on your connection history, so that your most-often-used networks are listed first.

GDR2
1.) Making Xbox Music suck less
2.) FM Radio
3.) CalDav and CardDav
4.) DataSense for an unknown list of providers

That's not enough to catch up.

Thats not much added since November.

joshschw

Because they're adding features back that we had in WP7.5/.8. That's why we're complaining.

Portico

GDR2

That's not enough to catch up.

Thats not much added since November.

This is a minor update that normally would just be bugfixes for iOS & Android. People need to stop always complaining about everything.

I don't get it, that doesn't seem like a big update, how is that different from portico that we received within 3 months of the 920's launch?

All this talk of blackberry moving quickly is perplexing to me. My 920 has received like 3 updates already and another feature update is due within two months. Maybe MS should just label them like Google and Blackberry do with a number like 8.1, 8.2 etc. And maybe you guys will view it differently, cause I don't understand.

so... 8.0.0.1 ?

Dipswitch

I just switched to a Lumia 521 from an HD7 last week, as the latter phone was on the fritz. Anyway, been quite pleased with the Lumia (despite its shortcomings), but Holy Shit @ the clusterfuck that is the WP8 experience with Xbox music and the WP sync apps.

I'm a Zune HD user w/Zune Pass and the HD7 used to sync beautifully with my collection residing on my NAS and play all my Zune Pass music. Not so much anymore. Now I'm forced to use the barebones WP app to sync my music (sans my downloaded Zune Pass music and ratings info of course). And if I want to download new music using my "Xbox Music" pass, I have to use the dogshit Music app and download new versions of the same music I already have downloaded, but can't use. And then store it all locally, because it refuses to access my music share from my NAS (Despite the fact that the WP sync app talks to my Library/NAS share just fine).

How the fuck MS managed to drop the ball so spectacularly is completely beyond me. Same deal with other content they sell. I loath iTunes, but they manage to make access to all of your purchased content seamless on all your Apple hardware. MS looks completely incompetent by comparison.

Razdek

Banned
This is a minor update that normally would just be bugfixes for iOS & Android. People need to stop always complaining about everything.

I think your expectations have been so low by WP that you've accepted the pace that Microsoft is moving at. They need to be faster with these releases and more features not just bringing back features from 7.5 but go beyond that.

I think your expectations have been so low by WP that you've accepted the pace that Microsoft is moving at. They need to be faster with these releases and more features not just bringing back features from 7.5 but go beyond that.

I don't have a phone with WP8 here, just one with 7.8.

How many features did they bring back so far?

Commodore

Now that the 925 is official, we're going to hear about new rumors soon enough. But don't expect the release anytime soon.

Tom Warren tweeted this a few hours ago:

Nokia teased today that it's planning another Lumia announcement over the summer. I suspect that's the 41-megapixel EOS, heading to AT&T.

Now that they've got most of their bases covered with a solid flagship on each of the big three US carriers, plus throughout the world, it looks like we're finally gonna start hearing about their higher end Lumias that might be either competitive with the latest Android/iOS devices, or beyond them on a few aspects.

Troll

Banned
Hey Last Flowers, what was the internal name for GDR2? Just curious if it had an "o" name during development. If you can't talk about it I completely understand, of course.

Totakeke

Now that they've got most of their bases covered with a solid flagship on each of the big three US carriers, plus throughout the world, it looks like we're finally gonna start hearing about their higher end Lumias that might be either competitive with the latest Android/iOS devices, or beyond them on a few aspects.

Competitive on what?

How is the Lumia 920/928/925 hardware not competitive with the iPhone?

PG2G

How is the Lumia 920/928/925 hardware not competitive with the iPhone?

The GPU sucks? :p That said, it WILL be nice to see 1080p and Snapdragon 600/800 devices out there running WP8.

The current specs aren't even enough for Nokia's Smart Camera to work optimally (it has to take 5 megapixel images), I believe the SGS4 can do all (or most) of the same but in higher resolution.

PG2G

I wonder when the next iPhone will actually be out. The last one came out roughly around the same time as the Lumia 920 (maybe a month apart)

The GPU sucks? :p That said, it WILL be nice to see 1080p and Snapdragon 600/800 devices out there running WP8.

The current specs aren't even enough for Nokia's Smart Camera to work optimally (it has to take 5 megapixel images), I believe the SGS4 can do all (or most) of the same but in higher resolution.
Okay fair enough, but those are examples of stuff that the majority of end users don't use or don't notice. The specs are very comparable to the iPhone5 and GS3.

Now 1080p will be nice (although I think it's overrated on screens this size).
I wonder when the next iPhone will actually be out. The last one came out roughly around the same time as the Lumia 920 (maybe a month apart)

Lumia 920 came out about 6 weeks after the iPhone 5, something similar will probably happen this fall again, so I don't see the big deal. My larger concern with the Lumia's is the fragmentation of devices with every US carrier demanding their own version of the phone and the absurd naming for those, 521/810/820/822/920/925/928 are all Lumia WP8 phones across US carriers and they are essentially two different phone in seven different flavors.

maeh2k

I'm not so sure that's a GPU limitation and not camera limitation. How many full-resolution shots can the iPhone and GS4 do within two seconds?

The GS4 'drama shot' takes 100 photos in four seconds, but afaik only in 1920x1080.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom