• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure that's a GPU limitation and not camera limitation. How many full-resolution shots can the iPhone and GS4 do within two seconds?

The GS4 'drama shot' takes 100 photos in four seconds, but afaik only in 1920x1080.

At that rate of shooting, it's actually a limit of how fast you can write to internal or external flash. You cannot write 100x13MP in 4 seconds to any flash memory used on a phone, you would need a PC with an SSD to have enough sheer bandwidth for such a write operation.

The Gartner thread is the wedding commercial all over again...

zoY95Z-microsoft-creates-an-apple-vs-NyWE.gif

Also, Microsoft's market share is from 1.9% up to 2.9% YoY, only 0.1% short of RIM.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Lucius86

Banned
I like this development.

Metrotube:

Dear #WPDev, the next version of #Metrotube has a URI you can call to automatically launch Metrotube for YouTube playback :)! #WindowsPhone

Also, a bit down, Quinn (baconit dev) demands details. e: (meaning apps can use the URI to link to each other, so baconit youtube links open with Metrotube instead of the default.)

YESSSS.

YESSSS.

Just need Sky GO, Sky+ and Barclays banking app and my local app wants are satisfied.

Make that Virgin Media and Santander for me (although the mobile version of Santander's web site is half-decent), then I shall be a happy bunny too. Nice to see at long last some important updates/apps are coming to WP8.

hadareud

The Translator
Just need Sky GO, Sky+ and Barclays banking app and my local app wants are satisfied.

Substitute Barclays with HSBC and that's me.

With the official Tapatalk app coming soon that's the only 3 apps that I've been using on Android on a regular basis that aren't yet available on WP.

btw, there's a Sky+ substitute that works just fine (TV Guide+), so Sky+ isn't really that important.

Nero3000

Substitute Barclays with HSBC and that's me.

With the official Tapatalk app coming soon that's the only 3 apps that I've been using on Android on a regular basis that aren't yet available on WP.

btw, there's a Sky+ substitute that works just fine (TV Guide+), so Sky+ isn't really that important.

yeah im not too fussed about Sky+, but the app now controls the sky box and manages the recordings, which can be useful - I imagine a tile for each channel on the start screen that will change the channel when you press it.

To be honest, from browsing the Sky Support Forums it's going to be a longggg time before we get anything from them (Windows 8 too).

MCD

hadareud

The Translator
yeah im not too fussed about Sky+, but the app now controls the sky box and manages the recordings, which can be useful - I imagine a tile for each channel on the start screen that will change the channel when you press it.

To be honest, from browsing the Sky Support Forums it's going to be a longggg time before we get anything from them (Windows 8 too).

You can remote record with TV Guide+

The only problem is that the interface is horrendous, but it works.

Agreed with the waiting bit. I'd be surprised if we saw anything before the end of the year, if that.

hadareud

The Translator
Just installed iPlayer (link here)

It's a proper app, not just launch the website as they previously said.

Trying it out now.

edit: seems snappy enough. Playback works fine on 4G. Everything you'd expect is there, apart from live streaming of TV and radio. Design wise it's a direct port of the Android version, no Metro here. They could have done better there and embrace the platform more. But I guess that's asking too much, given the reluctance they showed to release it in the first place.

Hold on it's not. I'M PAYING LICENSE FEE BBC GIVE ME METRO FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF 1111!!!!!!

MCD

Next iteration of Windows Phone updates or devices? GDR2 (next update) is coming with 925 and will be pushed to all WP8 phones in June/July. Then we have a bigger updated called GDR3, which is set for fall debut, bringing 1080p display support, etc. In early 2014 we will see Windows Phone Blue, the final chapter in WP’s book, which will unite all Microsoft’s platforms together with common APIs, etc: Windows 8, Xbox and WP.

Info that I have indicated Nokia EOS phone (high end camera, 41 mpx or something in that range). It will debut this summer and a Nokia phablet/tablet for 2013 Holidays. Can’t share that, unfortunately. HTC and Huawaei will too release one device each for 2013 holidays and one low-mid range phone in summer. ATM, Samsung does not plan any 2013 holiday releases, only one phone for summer.

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/1eb0j9/aluminum_lumia_925_revealed_by_nokia_85mm_thin/

MCD

;-)

So did I miss the announcement where HTC and Samsung dropped WP?

They did? Sammy and HTC will probably keep releasing one or two devices max by fall as usual.

It's a shame MS can't get Sony to release a WP because Japan is important if you wanna attract Japanese developers.

Toshiba-Fujitsu will probably never touch WP again lol.

PG2G

I'm not so sure that's a GPU limitation and not camera limitation. How many full-resolution shots can the iPhone and GS4 do within two seconds?

The GS4 'drama shot' takes 100 photos in four seconds, but afaik only in 1920x1080.

Ah, you're probably right. I was thinking it was full res but I couldn't find anything that confirmed or said otherwise when I was looking. That would make a lot more sense though.

It is worth noting that the low end phones are limited to 1 megapixel images instead of 5 though.

Gaming forum will hate this

Magni

I'm currently in France but have my phone set to English (US), so my Bing page shows the US Bing pic of the day (today it's Mercury).

However, for the past two days my Bing lockscreen has been different. Turns out it's Bing Chile's pic of the day. I have Valparaíso as one of my many cities in Weather Flow (moving there in July), but Weather Flow isn't tied to my lockscreen (I'm still on 7.8).

Anyone know what's up?

hwalker84

2014? eh. wait for .....

anyway, that has always been the goal, one big platform across xbox, phone and windows. Hopefully that is THE update that does it for the phone.

It won't be.

Should've been two OS's and not three (RT, 8, WP8)

WP should've been called something like "Metro OS" and disassociated itself from the "Windows" brand. The "Metro OS" should've been what was scaled up for the tablet OS. That's just my opinion. I highly doubt "blue" on WP is going to bring this harmonious platform. Maybe end of 2014 or 2014 MS will finally get it right.

hadareud

The Translator
It won't be one platform because the interfaces will remain separate (Xbox/RT/WP), but I do think we'll see a much more unified approach when it comes to apps, starting with Blue.

Step 1 was to get everything running on the same kernel, step 2 will happen with the release of the new Xbox and Blue imo.

Or maybe that makes too much sense and therefore won't happen, ever.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
well yeah the ui will always be different because the differences in the devices. but if the runtime and apis etc... are the same then it would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom