• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Weird that the Canadian Windows Phone website has no Lumia devices listed for WP8, especially since the 520 was just launched. The Canadian website is always way behind the US one and is not as pretty anyways.

maeh2k

So the new algorithms on 920's camera should give results equal to those on 925? Nokia is the best when it comes to cameras.

The new algorithms can improve the photo quality when it comes to noise, sharpness, ... , but the 925 also packs some improvements in the actual hardware (how the lenses are set up). So the 920 should get better and may even match the 925 in daylight, but in some situations such as low-light the 925 will have the edge.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I hate Google.

edit: how does the app compare with regards to ads with iOS?
edit 2: MS's fault, but I still don't like them :)

But Microsoft is evil and Larry is so sad that they are evil and not helping the technology moving forward...

Seriously, why isn't anyone calling out this hypocrisy? Its not like Microsoft is some monolithic evil presence preventing technology from progressing and Google is David taking them on. They're both corporations, and have done evil things.

Milchjon

Haha:

The Cease & Desist letter said:
It appears that the application: (1) allows users todownload videos from YouTube; (2) prevents the display of advertisements in YouTube video playbacks; and (3) plays videos that our partners have restricted fromplayback on certain platforms (e.g., mobile devices with limited feature sets).

Is this about those "the content owner has not made this video available on mobile" videos? I'll be a cynic and read it as Google shitting on WP ;-)

Talon

Seriously, why isn't anyone calling out this hypocrisy? Its not like Microsoft is some monolithic evil presence preventing technology from progressing and Google is David taking them on. They're both corporations, and have done evil things.
You expected someone at a GOOGLE DEVELOPER CONFERENCE to call out Google? C'mon, friend.

That said, that's shitty of Microsoft. It's not just Google's money, that directly affects the content partners. It's the same reason Google didn't renegotiate their YouTube agreement with Apple.

so basically, Microsoft wants a free ride and is leeching without giving revenue to the hardworking folks out there like machinima, dormtainment and fluffee? and Google are the bad guys?

MCD

so basically, Microsoft wants a free ride and is leeching without giving revenue to the hardworking folks out there like machinima, dormtainment and fluffee? and Google are the bad guys?

So why didn't they made the app themselves or helped to create one? Oh wait, WP is not big enough for ADs.

Oh fuck, that JOE BELFIORE did it....

It appears that the application: (1) allows users todownload videos from YouTube; (2) prevents the display of advertisements in YouTube video playbacks; and (3) plays videos that our partners have restricted fromplayback on certain platforms (e.g., mobile devices with limited feature sets).

Reading it over, it seems like the problem is downloading of videos. Solution, disable the ability to download videos. Other than that, I have never seen any ads on my brothers ipod, nor my fathers Iphone and Ipad nor on Mobile Youtube or my grandmothers Android tablet.

The third one should be simple, just have to add a couple if statements that ask "is this video able to be played on a mobile device"

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There are ads on IOS and android, right? I know the webapp sucks now because there are ads on it.

Meh, I'm not a heavy YouTube user anyway, and I'm weaning myself off of gmail and google calendar, so no biggie. And, yes, I can use the web app for those services, but Google is not above crippling the experience for windows phone web app users, so the less I use their services, the better..

this_guy

So why didn't they made the app themselves or helped to create one? Oh wait, WP is not big enough for ADs.

Same reason why Microsoft doesn't port Office to Linux - it's not worth their time.

But the ability to download Youtube videos is not allowed on any app in the Play store either.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Same reason why Microsoft doesn't port Office to Linux - it's not worth their time.

It seems contradictory to say that the platform is not worth their time yet its big enough that it hurts their partner's bottom line from lack of ads. Its also obvious that its not just a market share issue when google doesn't make a YouTube app for windows 8 either. They are being hypocrites and liars, no different from MS and Apple on occasion, its just sad that google fanboys pretend that they are the white knights of the internet.

Still, if its breaking the terms of the API, MS needs to bring the app into compliance.

this_guy

It seems contradictory to say that the platform is not worth their time yet its big enough that it hurts their partner's bottom line from lack of ads. Its also obvious that its not just a market share issue when google doesn't make a YouTube app for windows 8 either. They are being hypocrites and liars, no different from MS and Apple on occasion, its just sad that google fanboys pretend that they are the white knights of the internet.

Still, if its breaking the terms of the API, MS needs to bring the app into compliance.

No - it's not worth their time is the reason why they don't build a Youtube app. Google telling Microsoft to get rid of the app because it violates the terms of service is not contradictory - it allows people to download videos/music videos when they're not supposed to. You can download music that you don't own for play back later and that's not allowed.

Why would you need a Youtube app for Windows 8 when you're already on a desktop?

kharma45

No - it's not worth their time is the reason why they don't build a Youtube app. Google telling Microsoft to get rid of the app because it violates the terms of service is not contradictory - it allows people to download videos/music videos when they're not supposed to. You can download music that you don't own for play back later and that's not allowed.

Why would you need a Youtube for Windows 8 when you're already on a desktop?

For the W8 tablets.

MCD

There are ads on IOS and android, right? I know the webapp sucks now because there are ads on it.

Meh, I'm not a heavy YouTube user anyway, and I'm weaning myself off of gmail and google calendar, so no biggie. And, yes, I can use the web app for those services, but Google is not above crippling the experience for windows phone web app users, so the less I use their services, the better..

Youtube to me is just clicking links randomly on the internet. Don't have an account nor do I need one.

this_guy

Youtube to me is just clicking links randomly on the internet. Don't have an account nor do I need one.

I agree - I'm not that much of a Youtube user either. I didn't miss Youtube when I used Windows Phone 7 for a few months - if I ever needed to watch a video the browser was fine for that.

I agree - I'm not that much of a Youtube user either. I didn't miss Youtube when I used Windows Phone 7 for a few months - if I ever needed to watch a video the browser was fine for that.

The only thing I use Youtube for on my Phone is to watch the 6 videos that I downloaded on the device, and even those are random songs that you either can't purchase in North America or you can't purchase period.

Tomcat

Why would you need a Youtube app for Windows 8 when you're already on a desktop?

lets cut the crap that's its about money or time investing to develop an app for wp8. We know that's not the reason especially when we are talking about multi billion companies here with hundreds of programmers.

google knows that wp even with its tiny percentage is the only true competitor for android.

its the only os that really has a chance to be competitive with android. ios will never be that. its one phone and a expensive one. the real money and most sales for android are from low budget phones and ios will never get there. So of course they will try their best to undermine wp as best as they can before it will get stronger.

Taking a look at the new Google I/O stuff:

• New PlayStore overhaul
  • New Maps incoming
  • New GMusic makeover
  • New Streaming service in GMusic
  • New App called "Keep" for taking notes.
  • New Hangouts service for Chrome/Android/iOS
  • New Google Now Widget
  • New Google Wallet UI update and changes
  • New G+ Redesign
  • Google Play Games announced with Cloud saves
  • College Sports added to Google Now
  • User Reviews now available in Play Store Dev console
  • Developers can now reply to review comments

All that without having to roll out an OS update.

Should Microsoft take a similar approach?

• New PlayStore overhaul
  • New Maps incoming
  • New GMusic makeover
  • New Google Now Widget
  • New G+ Redesign

I know they have that functionality in Xbox, so its only a matter of time before Windows Phone gets it.

You expected someone at a GOOGLE DEVELOPER CONFERENCE to call out Google? C'mon, friend.

That said, that's shitty of Microsoft. It's not just Google's money, that directly affects the content partners. It's the same reason Google didn't renegotiate their YouTube agreement with Apple.

I was talking about tech journalism. They should take google to task about the whole agenda they're trying to push with Microsoft being the only evil one.

stktt

Banned

• New PlayStore overhaul
  • New Maps incoming
  • New GMusic makeover
  • New Google Now Widget
  • New G+ Redesign

Absolutely. I assumed it would happen with WP8, but that was probably foolish.

Fjolle

• New PlayStore overhaul
  • New Maps incoming
  • New GMusic makeover
  • New Google Now Widget
  • New G+ Redesign

People would be pissed if MS updated the layout of msn.com and the skype app on iOS and called it WP8.1. But with their development speed maybe it's what we're getting.

MCD

http://www.wpcentral.com/fly-around-superman-themed-windows-phone-accessories

cwh1GnM.jpg

nlUpuvX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom