• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Microsoft has been talking about modular 1st party updates app since before Windows 8, and yet W8 launched with that feature and its still not on Wp8. Its an obvious way to bypass carrier update restrictions, and keep their users happy.

Heck, Nokia has kept their Lumia line fresh with tons of software releases, imagine if MS did the same with core apps.

Troll

Banned
Microsoft has been talking about modular 1st party updates app since before Windows 8, and yet W8 launched with that feature and its still not on Wp8. Its an obvious way to bypass carrier update restrictions, and keep their users happy.

Heck, Nokia has kept their Lumia line fresh with tons of software releases, imagine if MS did the same with core apps.

Masochist.

kharma45

Microsoft has responded re YouTube

YouTube is consistently one of the top apps downloaded by smartphone users on all platforms, but Google has refused to work with us to develop an app on par with other platforms. Since we updated the YouTube app to ensure our mutual customers a similar YouTube experience, ratings and feedback have been overwhelmingly positive. We'd be more than happy to include advertising but need Google to provide us access to the necessary APIs. In light of Larry Page's comments today calling for more interoperability and less negativity, we look forward to solving this matter together for our mutual customers.

Troll

Banned
Microsoft has responded re YouTube

cyrfre.gif

PG2G

For what it's worth, the 1st party apps for Windows 8 suck balls (from a performance and capability perspective) and the Windows Phone 8 ones don't. I'd be surprised if it wasn't because the Windows Phone 8 native apps aren't subjected to the same limitations as marketplace apps.

ttony678

Neo Member
I'm sure that this has been mentioned before somewhere and since you all were talking about native WP8 apps, do you guys think that the messaging app could be used more efficiently? I like that it displays the text when it's a large tile but it only fills up a single line. There's so much wasted space below it. Also, I joined WP with a 620 not too long ago so I'm still a noob.

I hope MS stalls as long as possible. We basically have the best YouTube app right now. No ads, video downloads, and no arbitrary "this video is not approved for mobile" nonsense.

It is a good app, hopefully the two can finally work something out so to allow an App to exist. not going to lie though, the response Microsoft put out was pure genius, somehow managing to not only attack google, but use what one of Googles executives said just hours earlier to their advantage.

Funny enough, as soon as I read about the news of the youtube App here, I went on the store and gave the official app 5 stars, said how good it was, then said that google was trying to take it away from us...Now when you look at the reviews for the Youtube app, most of the newest ones since my post are hating on google.

And by doing this it's violating Google's Youtube ToS. I'm amazed Google hasn't just blocked the app yet.

Its not as easy as just flicking a switch, well it is, but only if your going full on thermonuclear. It all depends on the method that Microsoft used to gain access to youtube. If Microsoft did it the way that MetroTube and other third party apps did it, then all Google has to do is change their website again, which in the process would break every single app on iOS, Android, WP and Blackberry which uses this method to get in. If Microsoft just went ahead and spoofed API calls, then it becomes even harder because there would be no way to verify what the client belonged to as it would be telling the google servers that it was a legitimate API. Then there is the Thermonuclear option of just doing a full range OS Ban on Windows Phone from the server side using a specified set of hardware specifications, the downside to this is you shut down not only all Windows Phone Youtube Apps, but you also shut down the Mobile website for Windows Phone also.

And by doing this it's violating Google's Youtube ToS. I'm amazed Google hasn't just blocked the app yet.

Fucking greedy Scroogle. So Micro$oft get all the shit when they are about making money and protecting their turf (ie licensing software) when Google scream about their source of income being taken away it's OK with you Google troopers to cite term of service and all the hard work poor Google put into making Youtube. Oh wait didn't they buy YouTube from someone else using the money they earn from the monopoly they have on search and ads. Oh I forgot it's OK when Google does it because you know they never do no evil unlike Microsoft.

It's OK thought that Google steal all the patent to make Android OS and gave them out for free and Microsoft have to go after OEM to get money that owe to them.

Oh, suddenly Android fans care about remunerating creators :p

I'm pretty sure that people with adblock hurts them several orders of magnitudes more than the 3 WP users.

Also i'm wondering why the leak happened an hour after Larry talked about openness...

well, in that case, it's perfectly acceptable!

and it's just showing a pattern... MS leeching off GTalk openness while keeping their chat locked up. MS leeching off Youtube while... oh wait, they already closed Soapbox.

Fjolle

well, in that case, it's perfectly acceptable!

and it's just showing a pattern... MS leeching off GTalk openness while keeping their chat locked up. MS leeching off Youtube while... oh wait, they already closed Soapbox.

I guess that if google actually cared about the poor content creators, they would give MS access to the right APIs...

Also i feel like google is showing a pattern, do everything to make people forget that they are violating several patents with their android system, while at the same time being way too aggressive with their own (Motorola) enforcement of the few valid patents they have.

:=)

I guess that if google actually cared about the poor content creators, they would give MS access to the right APIs...

Also i feel like google is showing a pattern, do everything to make people forget that they are violating several patents with their android system, while at the same time being way too aggressive with their own (Motorola) enforcement of the few valid patents they have.

:=)

but Youtube.com already works on WP

and what patents are they violating? what happened with Oracle? where are the other lawsuits? and Motorola was involved in that litigation before Google bought them.

let's talk about how B&N didn't play ball with MS and then MS invested in them instead of continuing litigation... show those secret patents MS! what are the violations?

I don't know why you guys are discussing this, when it was pretty obvious from the start.

Microsoft coded the YouTube app solely to get a reaction from Google and the response they prepared for that reaction.

Here's another prepped statement, when they got asked about the development of the app:
Windows Phone invested additional engineering resources against existing APIs to re-architect a Windows Phone app that delivers a great YouTube experience, including support for unique Windows Phone 8 features such as Live Tiles and Kids Corner. Microsoft did not receive any additional technical support to create the Windows Phone YouTube app.

Fjolle

but Youtube.com already works on WP

and what patents are they violating? what happened with Oracle? where are the other lawsuits? and Motorola was involved in that litigation before Google bought them.

let's talk about how B&N didn't play ball with MS and then MS invested in them instead of continuing litigation... show those secret patents MS! what are the violations?

So you think that all other companied just rolled over without even seeing the patents?

Google could easily have eased down on the demands. Afair the 2.6% of all MS revenue claim came after google bought them.

There have been several successful lawsuits against android makers (Remember Apple vs Samsung?). And there are LOADS of lawsuits all over the place going on right now. I'm puzzled that you have missed them. Just in april we had this.

So you think that all other companied just rolled over without even seeing the patents?

Google could easily have eased down on the demands. Afair the 2.6% of all MS revenue claim came after google bought them.

There have been several successful lawsuits against android makers (Remember Apple vs Samsung?). And there are LOADS of lawsuits all over the place going on right now. I'm puzzled that you have missed them. Just in april we had this.

i think that many companies settled rather than fought because they also did business with MS in other areas and their cost analysis said it was cheaper and/or less disruptive to their other business partnerships with MS to settle.

and with all of these victories against 'Android makers', why is nobody else coming at the HNIC, the maker of Android?

Fjolle

i think that many companies settled rather than fought because they also did business with MS in other areas and their cost analysis said it was cheaper and/or less disruptive to their other business partnerships with MS to settle.

and with all of these victories against 'Android makers', why is nobody else coming at the HNIC, the maker of Android?

Google has 0 revenue from selling android handsets, it all comes from ads. If you wanted a percentage of the android revenue as compensation for your patents, why would you sue google?

HNIC? Hockey Night in Canada? They made Android?

Either way, MS signed a deal with Hon Hai, aka. Foxconn, for all the Android and Chrome devices they build. I'd say that's a pretty big "win".

Google has 0 revenue from selling android handsets, it all comes from ads. If you wanted a percentage of the android revenue as compensation for your patents, why would you sue google?

they don't have to be making money for you to get money in court if they're found to be infringing.

Totakeke

hadareud

The Translator
I don't know why you guys are discussing this, when it was pretty obvious from the start.

Microsoft coded the YouTube app solely to get a reaction from Google and the response they prepared for that reaction.

Here's another prepped statement, when they got asked about the development of the app:

Pretty much.

It's obvious that Microsoft released the app to get a reaction and they got exactly what they wanted.

If Google gave even the slightest of fucks about the revenue that their "content makers" are making, or according to them, are losing out on on Windows Phone they would either release their own app or they would give Microsoft access to the relevant APIs.

But according to them WP is not worth the effort. Which is pretty amazing considering where they came from and the public image they are trying to paint of themselves. There's what, 20, 30 million Windows Phone users out there? Not a lot in the grand scheme of things - but certainly enough to make it worth Google's (and their poor content makers and partners' while). The only reason they are not developing for Windows Phone is because they want the platform to go away for whatever reason. Their crocodile tears on behalf of their content makers are amusing, to say the least.

Nearing release time for lifelogger.

-Implemented some cool skydrive backup
-Animation implemented finally. Get that 'windows phone' feel to it. Not perfect, but serviceable for 1.0-1.1
-Complete retooling of pivot hubs
-deprecated some previous quick-link 'lifestream'/'map' to app bar icons
-Phone's Accent Color is now the major driving color of the application

Still a couple of features left to implement, but almost done...almost done. Releasing the beta update tonight. It will probably require a reintall.

More pictures at Imgur

Milchjon

I was kinda kidding, but I still think you know what I mean.

Overall, I actually agree with you. MS screwed up (who cares if it was on purpose).
Still, Google's policy regarding MS stuff is pretty fucking annoying.

Edit: lastflowers, that looks really interesting. Is it WP8 only?

P.S., There's a typo in "Neutral".

Fjolle

Nearing release time for lifelogger.

-Implemented some cool skydrive backup
-Animation implemented finally. Get that 'windows phone' feel to it. Not perfect, but serviceable for 1.0-1.1
-Complete retooling of pivot hubs
-deprecated some previous quick-link 'lifestream'/'map' to app bar icons
-Phone's Accent Color is now the major driving color of the application

Still a couple of features left to implement, but almost done...almost done. Releasing the beta update tonight. It will probably require a reintall.

More pictures at Imgur

Looks nice. Can you make it log automagically when i'm drunk so i can figure out where i left my coat? :)

If Google cares so much about ad money why do Google Ads still not show up on Windows Phones? Not that I'm complaining about the lack of ads.

Looks nice. Can you make it log automagically when i'm drunk so i can figure out where i left my coat? :)

It grabs location in the background every 30 minutes. I'm hoping to enable the 'continuous tracking' for someone (say on a hike or a bike-ride, or on a trek throughout a city on vacation) who would like to remember the random route they took that day. I haven't looked into it heavily, but would like to track every 5 minutes in that case.

Yeah, WP8 only unfortunately. There are some APIs that just aren't available in 7.

To get to 1.0, I need to:
-minimize random crashes (some virtualization bug that I haven't quite routed out).
-Make sure Nokia phones aren't broken....(928!)
-Add the notion of 'Collections'
-Basically, group Photos/Notes into one group of items
-Pin that 'Collection' to your start screen, etc etc
-Implement the 'Download From Skydrive'...at least I know you can back up the lifeLog currently. Theoretically this part shouldn't be too bad.
-Be able to pin a day's journal
-Futz around with some random bugs.
-Implement a smarter-more useful 'Day's route tracing' for your 'lifestream' map.
-Look at changing those stupid looking circles for a better 'pin' icon

Hopefully post v1.0, I'll get to:
-NFC sharing of a 'collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom