• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
And by doing this it's violating Google's Youtube ToS. I'm amazed Google hasn't just blocked the app yet.

I love how Android fanboys, whose current stance against patent violations is basically "who gives a shit" are now up in arms and offended by terms of service violations.

About as hypocritical as Larry Page whining about industry negativity and then taking shots at MS a few minutes later.

Mindwipe

If Google gave even the slightest of fucks about the revenue that their "content makers" are making, or according to them, are losing out on on Windows Phone they would either release their own app or they would give Microsoft access to the relevant APIs.

There wouldn't ever be an API for downloads because Google would be in total breach of it's music agreements to offer one, something Microsoft is quite aware of because they have the same issues.

I note that MS seems to have glossed over that bit in the statement, even though the C&D letter makes as big a deal of that as it does advertising, and it's something that Google are sending out C&Ds over to hundreds of third party developers or threatening to revoke their API keys unless they comply.

Milchjon

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/16/4336298/windows-phone-overtakes-blackberry-to-claim-third-place

tumblr_mevwykAMsW1ruym4ro1_500.gif

Nero3000

I hope that the next version of Windows Phone allows all the chat apps to integrate into the messaging hub in a seamless way and only show the correct options for each contact automatically (e.g. Facebook and Skype for one, but Facebook and whatsapp for another).

This seems to be the only reasonable solution to the chat fragmentation we are seeing.

Fjolle

I hope that the next version of Windows Phone allows all the chat apps to integrate into the messaging hub in a seamless way and only show the correct options for each contact automatically (e.g. Facebook and Skype for one, but Facebook and whatsapp for another).

This seems to be the only reasonable solution to the chat fragmentation we are seeing.

I honestly thought that they implemented that on WP8?

Isn't that how the Skype integration works?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how is the lumia 520? Its free in the UK for only £7.50 a month which would be ideal as a phone for my wife. She's currently using an iphone 4S and a PAYG sim but only uses it for basic stuff - internet/email etc.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is it weird that 10's of millions of customers is not enough for say the developer of instagram to warrant building an app for it? I mean people will make shitty games that don't sell and cost more for smaller user bases. Or does that comparison not work? I know that generally apps are free and games cost more, but still.

6 months after release, the 920 can be found in the bomba bin:

7Ff3snO.jpg

EE is selling the Lumia 920 as a £249 PAYG phone (in stores only).

Maybe I should buy one after all.

Milchjon

A friend of mine, probably the most hardcore Apple fan I've met in real life, just ordered a 920.

Not looking forward to his complaints and public putdowns of WP at all...

Yep.

I'm surprised that Skype chat hasn't been integrated into messaging yet.

Always what happened to the promise of synced messaging between WP8 and W8 Messaging similar to iMessage?

dpatel304

Yeah, that's one thing I miss from my Blackberry. I use Whatsapp a lot, and I remember my texts and whatsapp messages were all integrated into one hub on there.

Not a huge deal, since it's only two different messaging applications I use, but it would be nice to just have one icon that I hit and I can see all my sms messages and my whatsapp messages.

MCD

Guys

GUYS

Angry Birds and Cut The Rope both got massive updates in the past few days

What's going on? Is Joe Belfiore finally doing something?

MCD

WindowsPhoneItaly reports from a reliable source on a bunch of apps coming to Windows Phone soon.

Firstly they report the new Facebook app will soon exit beta and come to WP7 also.

Secondly, they expect the new YouTube app to be updated soon, possibly with the ability to play Google’s ads, but also with useful features such as the ability to open YouTube links in the app.

Thirdly the new WhatsApp is also on the way, but is being delayed by a battery life issue which may push it to the end of May.

Next they expect Temple Run 2 to hit Windows Phone 8 soon, including 512 MB devices, but not Windows Phone 7.

Lastly, what is an app rumour story without Instagram? WPI reports the Instagram app is in development, will feature lock screen integration, and should hit the store within a month.

Some of these rumours are of course pretty obvious, and some like the Instagram app appear increasingly unlikely. Take them all with a large pinch of salt. WPI says their source is reliable, but delays can pop up for many reasons, so timing is always subject to change.

WMPU.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Lumia wedding ad has to be the most successful Windows Phone advertisement ever. I'm randomly hearing people talking about it.

Today at the post office, the two tellers were talking about the iPhone, and one of them starts talking about how funny the wedding video was. At first, she couldn't remember the name of the phone the ad was for, but then she said "I think it was a Windows phone, don't they have a new one?" To which I interrupted their conversation and replied "yeah, this one" while flashing my cyan Lumia 920. They were all giggling like schoolgirls as I put on my sunglasses and walked out of the post office, wind flowing through my hair and coat.

derFeef

The Lumia wedding ad has to be the most successful Windows Phone advertisement ever. I'm randomly hearing people talking about it.

Today at the post office, the two tellers were talking about the iPhone, and one of them starts talking about how funny the wedding video was. At first, she couldn't remember the name of the phone the ad was for, but then she said "I think it was a Windows phone, don't they have a new one?" To which I interrupted their conversation and replied "yeah, this one" while flashing my cyan Lumia 920. They were all giggling like schoolgirls as I put on my sunglasses on and walked out of the post office, wind flowing through my hair and coat.

And they glared at you with mouths wide open while you vanished into the sunset.

Subitai

Today at the post office, the two tellers were talking about the iPhone, and one of them starts talking about how funny the wedding video was. At first, she couldn't remember the name of the phone the ad was for, but then she said "I think it was a Windows phone, don't they have a new one?" To which I interrupted their conversation and replied "yeah, this one" while flashing my cyan Lumia 920. They were all giggling like schoolgirls as I put on my sunglasses and walked out of the post office, wind flowing through my hair and coat.
haha, great! Reading that made my day.

image.php

you were supposed to open the dialer and tell them to put their numbers in.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but the BBC iplayer showed up on the UK marketplace today.

Downloaded and gave it a whirl, works great on the 820.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom