• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

My Apple-loving friend is already pissed. 4 crashes in two days and the sync options are underwhelming :-D

MS, you are one of the biggest companies in the world, this is one of the most important markets for you, why must you make WP an enthusiast only thing... Get your shit together.

MCD

My Apple-loving friend is already pissed. 4 crashes in two days and the sync options are underwhelming :-D

MS, you are one of the biggest companies in the world, this is one of the most important markets for you, why must you make WP an enthusiast only thing... Get your shit together.

Joe Belfiore, that's why.

hadareud

The Translator
4 crashes?

My phone hasn't crashed that often in 7 months. Maybe it repels Apple fingers or something.

The sync options are beyond shite, though.

hwalker84

Not relevant to WP, but interesting:

Ate dinner at a steakhouse restaurant on Saturday in their 'executive' type room. I don't know how expensive it was, but it was crazy pricey...a friend paid (no prices on the food is always a bad sign). Low and behold, after we finish dinner, I see someone and his wife about 5 yards from me. I recognize his face, and then do a double take. Friggin' Bill and Melinda Gates were eating dinner at the same place.

Was he using an iPhone?

>Kids Corner

In all honesty, it's just a running joke but I will continue to blame him till he officially announce Instagram.

I thought kids corner would be really useless for me, but I use it now to store all of my games and Netflix. The Search button gets disabled there, so it makes those accidental presses disappear.

Was he using an iPhone?

lol, couldn't tell. We were having a very interesting discussion on MS's future, technology, convergence between different teams, etc etc. I wish Gates would have overheard us, come in, and blow our minds with his insight :). All I know is that I need to make more money so I can eat there more often--apparently he eats there quite often. 'Daniels in Bellevue'

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Not relevant to WP, but interesting:

Ate dinner at a steakhouse restaurant on Saturday in their 'executive' type room. I don't know how expensive it was, but it was crazy pricey...a friend paid (no prices on the food is always a bad sign). Low and behold, after we finish dinner, I see someone and his wife about 5 yards from me. I recognize his face, and then do a double take. Friggin' Bill and Melinda Gates were eating dinner at the same place.

Dude, you have to name the place.

I think his phone may be defective.. I mean Oh-My-God, 4 crashes! the only one I had was when I was playing around with that one Storage cleaning app before the official Nokia app came out. Sync options are shit though, but we have to please the tech bloggers who hate Zune.

Hey everyone, Microsoft released the Xbox Live Video Player for Windows Phone, One less reason to miss the conference!
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/live-video-player/0ae9f9fa-29b2-4318-845f-4e24ce52ca94

PG2G

they shootin' at people that ain't shootin' back.. where's the "Better than HTC One" or can they not legally lay that claim?

They picked the two biggest phones. I dont think most people even know the benefits of the HTC One's camera so it wouldn't make for especially useful advertising.

Milchjon

lol, couldn't tell. We were having a very interesting discussion on MS's future, technology, convergence between different teams, etc etc. I wish Gates would have overheard us, come in, and blow our minds with his insight :). All I know is that I need to make more money so I can eat there more often--apparently he eats there quite often. 'Daniels in Bellevue'

Daniel's Broiler, I'm assuming is what you meant.

Expensive steaks. I've only been there once but I would go more often if I thought I'd have a chance to meet Bill Gates!

edit: Oh, you posted it afterwards. It helps if I read threads to the bottom before I reply.

Broman1978

So I just ordered a Samsung Ativ S now.
4.8 Super Amoled Screen and large battery was the factors for me. Soooo I never touched a Win 8 Phone (Had Iphones and Androids)
Any tips? Good apps? =)

kharma45

So I just ordered a Samsung Ativ S now.
4.8 Super Amoled Screen and large battery was the factors for me. Soooo I never touched a Win 8 Phone (Had Iphones and Androids)
Any tips? Good apps? =)

Get the Nokia HERE suite for navigation.

Weave is good for a news reader, either the official YouTube or MetroTube for YouTube.

If you want Instragram then search for Itsdagram, there's a free ad-supported version coming soon of it.

Get the Facebook beta app if you want to use something other than the People hub for Facebook.

Twitter wise the official client does me fine, pretty reliable for notifications.

Podcast Lounge for podcasts if you're outside the USA, although international support is coming soon.

If you're into Reddit get Baconit.

That's pretty much the main stuff that I use. Samsung has some of their own apps in their hub, and some are supposed to be decent like the news one iirc.

AkuMifune

Banned
Wonder what the Vegas over/under odds are on Microsoft announcing some kind of WP8 integration with the next xbox today are...?

Smartglass getting an upgrade? Cross-platform games initiative?

Crickets?

Are there any YouTube apps that have predictive search functionality? It really is a drag having to type everything out.

On another note: mothereffin' Whatsapp, yo. Utterly painful coming from the smooth and customisable experience that is iOS Whatsapp. Constant time-outs and excessive loading. Oh, yeah. EVERYONE IN THE SAME GODDAMN COLOUR.

Are there any YouTube apps that have predictive search functionality? It really is a drag having to type everything out.

On another note: mothereffin' Whatsapp, yo. Utterly painful coming from the smooth and customisable experience that is iOS Whatsapp. Constant time-outs and excessive loading. Oh, yeah. EVERYONE IN THE SAME GODDAMN COLOUR.
The difference between whatsapp performance on my 620 and now the 820 was night and day. It could do with basic improvements though.

I'm pretty sure MS has plans for WP and Xbox integration. You guys think they'll announce something about that today or further down the road when we near new versions of WP/ around BUILD?

PG2G

I'm pretty sure MS has plans for WP and Xbox integration. You guys think they'll announce something about that today or further down the road when we near new versions of WP/ around BUILD?

Probably BUILD. They only have an hour so I doubt they'd spend much time on that sort of thing. They'll probably show the companion stuff though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
HERE Maps got updated and now includes Live Sight. Basically integrates a version of City Lens into the regular map app.

edit: it is pretty awesome. By tilting your phone you get a live view, plus a view of the map.

Soooooo guys ... now that the One is finally revealed, who can't wait for all the wonderful Windows Phone interaction? Still curious about it? :lol

Milchjon

Soooooo guys ... now that the One is finally revealed, who can't wait for all the wonderful Windows Phone interaction? Still curious about it? :lol

I'm actually looking forward to it.

Call me a fanboy, but I like the stuff they've shown (not that it's much).

Voice-controlled multi-tasking on a TV sounds pretty damn good to me.

Much more sceptic that they'll actually deliver in the near future.

Troll

Banned
I'm actually looking forward to it.

Call me a fanboy, but I like the stuff they've shown (not that it's much).

Voice-controlled multi-tasking on a TV sounds pretty damn good to me.

Much more sceptic that they'll actually deliver in the near future.

I'm pretty excited for it, too. Day one for me and probably day one for the PS4 as well. This E3 should be pretty exciting and I hope we get some Windows Phone love from Microsoft.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of the negativity is kind of getting to me even though a lot of what people are upset about doesn't really effect me.

Milchjon

Who doesn't like it? I thought the show was pretty solid, great mix of multimedia features and powerful hardware.

Gaming side? I think it's the worst backlash I've ever seen on GAF.

Problem is, gaming side isn't necessarily a good indicator. Way too conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom