• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Nah, I'd say the hate for Microsoft was always there on this forum and the presentation only added fuel.

Yeah, there was some cool stuff shown at the reveal but while I was watching I knew what the reaction of much of GAF was going to be. Looking forward to E3 (for all platforms) and Build.

maeh2k

I don't know what people were expecting. A presentation that's only an hour long (opposed to the three-hour Sony one) and only three weeks before their gaming-focused E3 presentation. Not unexpected that they didn't focus on games.

If Apple had given the same TV presentation at one of their keynotes, the OT would be a huge Apple circlejerk about how Jobs "cracked" the TV.

Why not? There is Xbox on my Windows Phone, however under utilized. I am sure many pick Windows Phone (I did) thinking it would have great synergy between all Microsoft products.

Promise of all unify kernel with Windows 8, Windows Phone, RT and Xbox is the draw to the Xbox eco system, and I was hoping may be I will be shown why it is awesome to have Windows Phone 8.

why not?

because there are many more appropriate threads in the gaming forum... it makes a mess of the only wp8 thread, the talk going on here has nothing to do with xbox on WP8.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
why not?

because there are many more appropriate threads in the gaming forum... it makes a mess of the only wp8 thread, the talk going on here has nothing to do with xbox on WP8.

Yeah, it's a bit of a side track but honestly much of the gaming side isn't much interested in discussion at the moment so this feels like a bit of a "safe" thread hehe. On topic though I am curious to find out how MS is going to integrate the new Xbox and Windows Phone. I still haven't upgraded to a Windows Phone 8, I figure I've waited this long I may as well wait until the next round of phones, but I'm hoping they have some interesting stuff planned.

Nero3000

Hopefully the lure of developing Xbox One apps, translates to Win 8 and WP8 apps from the big developers.

As a PS3 only owner (but Win8, WHS, WP7.8 user):

With the Xbox One, i'm interested in seeing more of the Media features and specifically how it would work in the UK with Sky. Sky's iPad and Android app can control the box via Wifi and manage recordings, so i don't think an IR blaster would be the best way to do it.

Considering the way it architected with the 3 OS's (2.5 really), it seems technically feasible to strip out the gaming portion and produce a cheaper media only version.

I have little interest in the Xbox Games, considering i will likely be on PS4 from day 1.

why not?

I don't know, to me it looked like we had a discussion right before the event and perhaps we wanted to continue it.

I'm pretty sure MS has plans for WP and Xbox integration. You guys think they'll announce something about that today or further down the road when we near new versions of WP/ around BUILD?

Probably BUILD. They only have an hour so I doubt they'd spend much time on that sort of thing. They'll probably show the companion stuff though.

Wonder what the Vegas over/under odds are on Microsoft announcing some kind of WP8 integration with the next xbox today are...?

Smartglass getting an upgrade? Cross-platform games initiative?

Crickets?

Be the judge.

why not?

I am pretty sure that there's a giant Xbox tile on my phone along with Smartglass. It is very much related. There was suppose to be renew synergy between the brand with all three sharing the same kernel. Three screens and the cloud strategy yada yada.

I am not sure how this is shitting up the thread, we constantly discuss Androids and Blackberry in here along with Surface. I think Xbox is pretty much related to Windows Phone 8 much more so than Androids or Blackberry.

hadareud

The Translator
Speaking of Xbox, Mass Effect: Infiltrator, NBA Jam, Real Racing 2, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 all out for Windows Phone today!

Well, for Lumia, anyway.

Nokia, eh? They're pretty good.

Speaking of Xbox, Mass Effect: Infiltrator, NBA Jam, Real Racing 2, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 all out for Windows Phone today!

Well, for Lumia, anyway.

Nokia, eh? They're pretty good.

All hail Nokia. I am going to give Real Racing 2 a spin.

I just bought Lumia 820 for my son for Bday present. It's used for $200.00 and come with charging stand (the one that stand upright) and cyan wireless charging back plate. I know it's low res screen but I don't think my son care too much he just use the dam thing to watch You Tubes. And now we arguably have the best YouTubes app on mobile.

The Verge report HTC is in some disarray with many employees jumping ship. I wonder if they are going to stick with Windows Phone. The HTC One while getting good review is moving far too slow to turn the avalanche that is S4 and continue domination of Android market by Samsung.

Milchjon

The Verge report HTC is in some disarray with many employees jumping ship. I wonder if they are going to stick with Windows Phone. The HTC One while getting good review is moving far too slow to turn the avalanche that is S4 and continue domination of Android market by Samsung.

It's a real bummer. The One is such a nice phone.

Fucking Samsung. Just ugh.

PG2G

Xbox One notification center? haha

http://wmpoweruser.com/as-xbox-one-to-gets-a-notification-centre-what-about-windows-phone/

oDvbDA8.png

Just got an 820, I cant believe there are no custom text tones... wtf..?

We can't even customized our contact info ... after so many updates, but hey we have that cool People Hub and Kids Corner. Wait for Blue. Unless Microsoft decide to reset the OS again and we move back to square one.

BTW, beside the OS, how do you like the phone. I just bought a used one for my son. A guy at work had one, I played with it when he first got it but we don't usually see each other. He drop it last week (for the 2nd time) and destroyed the screen and now he said he won't be getting anymore Nokia phone because they are "cheaply" made. I told him any phone would shattered falling on a pavement while riding a bike.

Wait for Blue. Unless Microsoft decide to reset the OS again and we move back to square one.

I don't know why people keep saying this. MS has been trying to move NT to arm for a long time. Now that they've finally been able to do it, they can get rid of CE and use NT to power low-cost OSes in machines across the world. The switch was not done flippantly 'just because'. There are large benefits to the entire company, not to mention the cadre of benefits associated with shared improvements to the core functionality from the kernel for WP scenarios. WP8 was a looong time in the works

What? Did I miss something? Is that another feature they removed in the transition from WP7 to WP8?

I am pretty sure we don't have that feature in Windows Phone 7. You get generic tag for Home, Work 1, Work 2 etc in your contact. You can't specify what number you are calling, my brother for example have five phones (don't ask me why) and it would be nice to tag his number as iPhone, Work Phone, Work Mobile Phone etc.

I am pretty sure we don't have that feature in Windows Phone 7. You get generic tag for Home, Work 1, Work 2 etc in your contact. You can't specify what number you are calling, my brother for example have five phones (don't ask me why) and it would be nice to tag his number as iPhone, Work Phone, Work Mobile Phone etc.

Oh, that's what you mean. Yeah, that might be something they could look into. I, for one, find it way more annoying that I can't link contacts on Android. My People app is such a mess.

I don't know why people keep saying this. MS has been trying to move NT to arm for a long time. Now that they've finally been able to do it, they can get rid of CE and use NT to power low-cost OSes in machines across the world. The switch was not done flippantly 'just because'. There are large benefits to the entire company, not to mention the cadre of benefits associated with shared improvements to the core functionality from the kernel for WP scenarios. WP8 was a looong time in the works

They just release Windows Phone 7 as reset to Windows Mobile and now we get another reset with Windows Phone 8. Xbox is the same way so far. I was hoping at least with the popularity of the 360 they would try to keep Xbox Live eco system going forward. Frankly I don't have any faith that Microsoft won't just do another reset.

Milchjon

10 years later, I finally tested Xbox Live Gold. I think WP actually has a few nice things there, like your friends' avatars visiting you and all that.

But now that avatars are seemingly dead anyway...

Nah, I'd say the hate for Microsoft was always there on this forum and the presentation only added fuel.

Unless you go to the forums on the fanboy sites, or stay in specific pockets of havens, the internet will burn Microsoft to the ground over everything.

I knew going into the conference that they weren't going to show games, I was surprised that they showed what they did. I knew that they have 3 conferences for all of their markets when revealing this thing. One for general populace, one for gamers and one for developers. Its probably the reason why I'm not flipping out, because I knew that they were going to split their message, and they were going to be burned over not being able to say everything at once.

Anyone here a little interested about BUILD now that we know the Xbox One uses Windows? I'm thinking that they are going to go all out in showing people "Hey, you can have your game on Windows 8, Windows Phone and Xbox with just a few simple changes."

Anyone here a little interested about BUILD now that we know the Xbox One uses Windows? I'm thinking that they are going to go all out in showing people "Hey, you can have your game on Windows 8, Windows Phone and Xbox with just a few simple changes."

The games aren't played on the Windows OS though, that's where the multiple OS's come in. There is an Xbox OS that just plays a game and then there is the Windows OS that runs all apps and media related stuff.

The games aren't played on the Windows OS though, that's where the multiple OS's come in. There is an Xbox OS that just plays a game and then there is the Windows OS that runs all apps and media related stuff.

which seems a little interesting. Since it's using the NT kernel, I assume that all of the media/apps use WinRT api which are the same APIs used by Phone/BigWin app stores. Assuming they keep the directx stack, I would think there is no reason to prevent allowing cross publication. I don't know enough about the directx portion of WinRT to really comment on it though.

frontieruk

You think?

Xbox One is REQUIRED to be online at least once every 24 hours.
Couldn't most of what we saw about Xbox One be done on the 360?
All of a sudden, the Wii U doesn't look as bad...
MS doesn't care about anything but the US
Xbox One: You must connect to the internet to "activate" all games + serial keys!!

My 360 is always connected anyway. I never buy used games. None of the stuff you mentioned affects me at all. I understand others may feel differently but it honestly doesn't affect me, I just want good games.

I'm with Studiotan in a meh reaction to the news, but I'm worried that games being tied to user profiles means that for a game like dance central where my nieces all have their own profiles to currently play when they visit will have to use my profile or have to pay a fee to activate it on their profiles which I think everyone would agree is a crock of shit :(

Hoping they talk about it come E3 or they've lost a sale.

StudioTan

I'm with Studiotan in a meh reaction to the news, but I'm worried that games being tied to user profiles means that for a game like dance central where my nieces all have their own profiles to currently play when they visit will have to use my profile or have to pay a fee to activate it on their profiles which I think everyone would agree is a crock of shit :(

Hoping they talk about it come E3 or they've lost a sale.

There was an interview with one of the guys from MS yesterday where he calmed those fears a bit. He said having separate profiles is a big part of the design and if they did what you said it would just cause people to log in to a single account on the machine and that's not their goal.

EDIT (Found it): https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/05/21/interview-with-xbox-ones-chief-product-officer-marc-whitten.aspx

stktt

Banned
My 360 is always connected anyway. I never buy used games. None of the stuff you mentioned affects me at all. I understand others may feel differently but it honestly doesn't affect me, I just want good games.

That's exactly how I feel. So long as those 15 exclusives are good and the price is fair, I'll probably buy one One.

frontieruk

My last post on the topic

Once installed, players do not require a disc to boot the software. If a game is used with a second account, that owner will be given the option to pay a fee and install the experience on their own console, Microsoft told Wired. Whether "account" means an entirely new console or another Xbox Live account on the same console, is unclear.

That also hints at being able to play from disk... As well as another revenue source,

frontieruk

Gaming side is lol. I will be stuck studying for finals next week so all the rage was worth it.

Interesting thing is its not juat the Sony gang fanning the flames, there are a bunch of butthurt xboxers there too.

I said to my mate yesterday was MS trolling to get publicity, and the games would be at E3, where the bulk will be kinect games for a double troll, but until then the whole picture hasn't been seen, and as the article I quoted earlier suggests, MS has no clue what they are doing either.

MCD

It's the same shit with Windows 8. Remove the start button, people raging, Windows 8.1 etc.

Typical MS. They will revert back once it gets even uglier. Heck, they are still not 100% sure about all of this.

As for the games, they will be coming but I'm still butthurt about no mention of any Japanese support as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom