• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaggedSac

I shouldn't be surprised that the Windows Phone thread has some of the only level headed discussions of the XBone.

I agree with pretty much everyone's thoughts about Unknown's post. But that used game thing is certainly needs more clarification.

The always online thing matters exactly two shits for me.

And I find their concentration on TV stuff rather disappointing as well, mainly because I don't have cable.

Any new news on the EOS?

operon

GameStop isn't the only outlet, there's also Craigslist, eBay etc. And somehow you assume a Microsoft outlet wouldn't fuck over consumers like GameStop?! Especially when you have to include a cut for the publishers?

This isn't a feature intended to better the lives of consumers. Stop pretending it is.

In a world where we're moving towards digital only, and we're finally going to get a way to trade in digital downloads and you complaining. The real reason steam gets a byeball is the price is right, the lofty principles go out the window when the sales are great. Everyone has a price

Lucius86

Banned
I shouldn't be surprised that the Windows Phone thread has some of the only level headed discussions of the XBone.

I agree with pretty much everyone's thoughts about Unknown's post. But that used game thing is certainly needs more clarification.

The always online thing matters exactly two shits for me.

And I find their concentration on TV stuff rather disappointing as well, mainly because I don't have cable.

Yep, nice to see people discussing the issues with the reveal rather than posting Kaz gifs.

So is the YouTube app update forced, or just available to users to download? Not got my phone handy so can't check.

Fjolle

Any new news on the EOS?

I read somewhere yesterday that the current rumors are that it will be revealed on the second week of July. Also they've minified the 808 sensor, and done something with the polycarbonate shell so it feels thinner than the 920.

kharma45

Yep, nice to see people discussing the issues with the reveal rather than posting Kaz gifs.

So is the YouTube app update forced, or just available to users to download? Not got my phone handy so can't check.

It's available to download, as far as I know it's not being forced.

This is incorrect. On Android in the Facebook app settings, there is an option to sync contacts. Your phone book contacts that have a different name than their Facebook name won't be combined automatically, but you can manually combine those.

How is this incorrect? The People app can not do this and that's all I said. On WP it's supported by the OS, while the Facebook app doesn't sync anything on my Galaxy Nexus (which is a different issue). I had to use Ubersync just to get some profile pictures on my contacts.

JaggedSac

I read somewhere yesterday that the current rumors are that it will be revealed on the second week of July. Also they've minified the 808 sensor, and done something with the polycarbonate shell so it feels thinner than the 920.

Awesome, that is right around the time that I am due for an upgrade.

What is the likelihood of release being close to announcement?

How is this incorrect? The People app can not do this and that's all I said. On WP it's supported by the OS, while the Facebook app doesn't sync anything on my Galaxy Nexus (which is a different issue). I had to use Ubersync just to get some profile pictures on my contacts.

Haxsync

In a world where we're moving towards digital only, and we're finally going to get a way to trade in digital downloads and you complaining. The real reason steam gets a byeball is the price is right, the lofty principles go out the window when the sales are great. Everyone has a price

Alternatively, you could also say that Steam sales are so good that you're paying less than the price of a used game anyways. Everyone has a price, but when the price is $1 or $5 you're pretty much splitting hairs on new vs. used.

And it still doesn't solve the issue of MS trying to impose a digital distribution paradigm on a console model which was until now based on trade of physical goods (discs). There's a backlash going on against it right now over on Gaming side and it's a backlash which is going to grow, not shrink, when knowledge of this spreads through the general population of gamers.

Native support vs paid app. Hmmm

I know this might sound weird to you, but I don't trust every 3rd party app to handle my contacts and log-in details. Especially on the malware ridden hellhole that is Android.

I've never once gotten a malware on Android. People who think Android is full of malware probably run like 5 virus scanners at once on their PCs because they are so paranoid. Because it's not, unless you pirate Android apps and get malware'd while side-loading your pirated app. It's just like Windows, if you aren't an idiot or a pirate you won't get a virus. I've also never gotten a virus on a PC and I've used PCs since MS-DOS 5.0.

This is off-topic from Windows Phone by a mile though. You should comment in the Android thread, and I'll tell you there how to fix your problem without needing an app.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to try and not mention the X1 anymore, but I just wanted to say this. I'm getting to old for the console war crap. I feel bad for getting worked up sometime about phone stuff as well. I'm in my 30s, a professional, I don't take my games over to my friend house, rarely share games, and my console is connected to the internet 99.5% of time. The gaming side is beyond ridiculous. Obviously everyone has different situations, but this has been the case for a long time. I will be getting a X1 because I like a lot of the franchises, the 3rd parties will be there, etc. I have nothing against Sony (owned PS2, PS3, PSP), I just prefer MS.

Also, sorry for the use of I so much.

I'm going to try and not mention the X1 anymore, but I just wanted to say this. I'm getting to old for the console war crap. I feel bad for getting worked up sometime about phone stuff as well. I'm in my 30s, a professional, I don't take my games over to my friend house, rarely share games, and my console is connected to the internet 99.5% of time. The gaming side is beyond ridiculous. Obviously everyone has different situations, but this has been the case for a long time. I will be getting a X1 because I like a lot of the franchises, the 3rd parties will be there, etc. I have nothing against Sony (owned PS2, PS3, PSP), I just prefer MS.

Probably twice the age than the average age of the Gaming Side members. Let that sink, take a breath and then forget about it.

hadareud

The Translator
I was going to say that I'm the same age and that I think MS aimed the console exactly at our age group and I felt quite happy.

Now I'm depressed.

Thanks for nothing, Brot :(

I am in my 40s :/

I am however really disappointed so far with Xbox One. May be it is not aim at me. My kids are older, I don't have cable tv and I only play one game every couple of month. The lack of BC is really what kill all my enthusiasm for it along with Steam like model. (I hate Steam).

I am old and set in my way, l like my physical media, I still buy CD. Damm it you kids get off my lawn.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think I'm going to be very disappointed,when the eos is revealed with the same chipset as the 920. The core OS obviously performs fine, but these new Xbox games coming out are gorgeous and are already pushing the chips in the 920. It gets hot and lags sometimes.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm going to be very disappointed,when the eos is revealed with the same chipset as the 920. The core OS obviously performs fine, but these new Xbox games coming out are gorgeous and are already pushing the chips in the 920. It gets hot and lags sometimes.

Mass Effect is pretty fun, probably gets my 920 more hot than any other game.

PG2G

Is that the rumor? I'll be pretty annoyed too. I thought they were testing the Snapdragon 600 and 800 to see which would go in? I'd rather them wait until GDR3 before releasing it before doing something stupid like using the same SoC.

zedge

I'm with you. Don't share games, have broadband internet that is always on. Its hard to remember the demographic on the gaminging side. My son is probably older than most of them lol.. fuck I'm old. :(

I'm up to my shoulders in the Windows ecosystem; Surface tablet, Windows Phone, Xbox 360. However, I'm hesitant about the Xbox One...because I only buy games used. I can't remember the last time I bought a game brand new. I also tend to sell my games immediately after playing them. I used to be a collector, owning every console and handheld since the original NES, and hundreds of games, however I donated/sold it all a few years ago. I'll have to wait for the final details around the used game "fees", but I have a bad feeling that I'll be playing a lot fewer games next generation.

I'm up to my shoulders in the Windows ecosystem; Surface tablet, Windows Phone, Xbox 360. However, I'm hesitant about the Xbox One...because I only buy games used. I can't remember the last time I bought a game brand new. I also tend to sell my games immediately after playing them. I used to be a collector, owning every console and handheld since the original NES, and hundreds of games, however I donated/sold it all a few years ago. I'll have to wait for the final details around the used game "fees", but I have a bad feeling that I'll be playing a lot fewer games next generation.

If you truly *only* buy games used, I doubt the devs will bemoan your decision to play less games.

Magni

Probably twice the age than the average age of the Gaming Side members. Let that sink, take a breath and then forget about it.

I'm 21 and feel the same way. Gaming Side has always been conservative, has always enjoyed overreacting, and has a slight but noticeable Sony bias.

Some things on the XB1 front still need to be cleared up, but its far from a trainwreck. Also, people stop with the "it's humongous!" posts, isn't it smaller than the 360 (not the 360S) ?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Alternatively, you could also say that Steam sales are so good that you're paying less than the price of a used game anyways. Everyone has a price, but when the price is $1 or $5 you're pretty much splitting hairs on new vs. used.

And it still doesn't solve the issue of MS trying to impose a digital distribution paradigm on a console model which was until now based on trade of physical goods (discs). There's a backlash going on against it right now over on Gaming side and it's a backlash which is going to grow, not shrink, when knowledge of this spreads through the general population of gamers.

How old are you? Serious question, because I remember PC gaming when it was the same as consoles. The worst thing you had to deal with was a dark red piece of paper with codes on it, but you could give games to other people. This was before the internet was a thing most people knew about. The point is, opinions change as circumstances change.

For example, what if Microsoft set up a system where you could sell your used games online at whatever prices you wanted, like Ebay? They would take a cut and you would get the rest. Do think people would still have a problem with the system?

Lets just wait until all the details are out.

EDIT: LOL, I just read all the posts after this one where age was brought up.

clav

I'm curious what the Xbox Mini will be before I make my final judgments. Like all of us 360 owners, we're disappointed about no BC since some of us here have quite an extensive XBLA/Indie library.

Seems like MS went a conservative approach in terms of internal hardware because they don't want another 3RROD disaster using newer/hotter unproven components.

The bigger picture is that MS wants to concentrate on gimmicks as games are just going to have fancier graphics. For most people, if they want that, they can just build a PC. The Xbox One itself is an improvement over the 360 as well, just not as raw as the horsepower of the PS4. They are making a bet in the future that bigger/fancier graphics crowd will go build a PC.

Microsoft sees that the differentiator will be the required Kinect accessory, which forces developers to use it in some way. With Kinect's improved tracking abilities, I'm curious to see what developers will do with it for games.

Over the years, I'm willing to give things a try before I make a final opinion about them.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How old are you? Serious question, because I remember PC gaming when it was the same as consoles. The worst thing you had to deal with was a dark red piece of paper with codes on it, but you could give games to other people. This was before the internet was a thing most people knew about. The point is, opinions change as circumstances change.

For example, what if Microsoft set up a system where you could sell your used games online at whatever prices you wanted, like Ebay? They would take a cut and you would get the rest. Do think people would still have a problem with the system?

Lets just wait until all the details are out.

EDIT: LOL, I just read all the posts after this one where age was brought up.

I remember doing stuff like that on the Commodore 64.

frontieruk

The reason Steam gets a free pass is because it's digital-only. The conflict with consoles arises because you buy the game on a disc which then becomes a frisbee once you've registered the game to your account. Now PC gamers have always been used to this because that's how it's always been for PC gaming, the disc only holds the game long enough to install it to the hard drive. PC gaming hasn't ever had a used games market, so Steam not being friendly to the idea of used games is mostly irrelevant.

However, console gamers are used to the traditional paradigm that the disc IS the game. They are used to swapping games with friends by sharing discs, trading the disc in to Gamestop, renting games from Gamefly, etc. etc. It's new ground for consoles what Xbone is trying to do and MS has decided they're going to be first into the legal minefield whereas Sony are staying the hell away. For one thing used games are a huge market in Japan and Sony doesn't want to anger their home market, it's less so in North America where MS is based.

I can tell you that Xbone is DOA in Japan even if it were the most amazing Japan-centric game machine ever solely because of it's hostility to used games.

*blows dust off his Splintercell pc dvds and finds theme hospital* no physical media you say? Why isn't there a steam logo on these boxes?

Damn things have changed...

I remember doing stuff like that on the Commodore 64.

*old timer brofist*

Pfft zx81 all the way... back when fanbois kept it real ;)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Speaking of the people app combing contacts, when will the skype app follow suit? although i rarely actually go to the skype app (just use the people app). It is annoying that you can't combine the contacts.

Also finally received 1030.6407 firmware on my 620. Had to get it by using the nokia retail upgrade thing. The lumia storage check app is nice.

Speaking of the people app combing contacts, when will the skype app follow suit? although i rarely actually go to the skype app (just use the people app). It is annoying that you can't combine the contacts.

Also finally received 1030.6407 firmware on my 620. Had to get it by using the nokia retail upgrade thing. The lumia storage check app is nice.

You definitely can, they added Skype integration back into the people hub a while ago.

Windu

You definitely can, they added Skype integration back into the people hub a while ago.
Yeah i know that. Just talking about the skype app itself. In skype i have skype names, messenger names and just normal phone numbers of people, all separate. I want it to do what the people app does and combine those. It is just a small annoyance though since i never go directly to the skype app.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I've been looking for an android phone and I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a Nexus 4. S4 is likely out of my price range though.

Man I had to take a step back and think, "Wait, I'm using the same kind of phone as these guys??" when I saw people here talking about the 360 Kinect as a good thing a couple pages back. I could care less about restrictions on used games or online requirements, I'm an adult and I understand how businesses work. And I would actually like a better user interface for my cable, I just wish I could get rid of the cable box itself. I just think motion control gaming, whether Wiimote or Move or Kinect or whatever, has pretty uniformly been crap. And I don't need to talk to my TV.

Internet high five. I won't dwell on the age thing but I often feel like most of neogaf is younger then my tenure on here. Pretty sure the gaming age days was late 90's.

Magni

So, what games for WP are gonna be announced at E3? :lolol

Man I had to take a step back and think, "Wait, I'm using the same kind of phone as these guys??" when I saw people here talking about the 360 Kinect as a good thing a couple pages back. I could care less about restrictions on used games or online requirements, I'm an adult and I understand how businesses work. And I would actually like a better user interface for my cable, I just wish I could get rid of the cable box itself. I just think motion control gaming, whether Wiimote or Move or Kinect or whatever, has pretty uniformly been crap. And I don't need to talk to my TV.

1) Kinect 2 is a generation ahead of Kinect 1 and has been part of thee console from the first drawings on the whiteboard.

2) Don't use voice commands then?

So, what games for WP are gonna be announced at E3? :lolol

1) Kinect 2 is a generation ahead of Kinect 1 and has been part of thee console from the first drawings on the whiteboard.

2) Don't use voice commands then?

Yeah, there's a possibility that Kinect 2 will be actually worthwhile unlike the first Kinect. If and when I see a use case for it I'll be more interested.

And I actually really like voice controls on my Lumia 920. They actually serve a purpose when I'm in my car as they allow me to operate my phone even though I'm performing an action that requires my complete attention. They just aren't necessary when I am on the couch in front of the TV. Speaking and moving my finger on a remote take around the same minimal amount of effort.

Yeah, there's a possibility that Kinect 2 will be actually worthwhile unlike the first Kinect. If and when I see a use case for it I'll be more interested.

And I actually really like voice controls on my Lumia 920. They actually serve a purpose when I'm in my car as they allow me to operate my phone even though I'm performing an action that requires my complete attention. They just aren't necessary when I am on the couch in front of the TV. Speaking and moving my finger on a remote take around the same minimal amount of effort.

my usage scenario is while cooking, or reading or playing a board game with friends. It's a big shift from

-leave kitchen/board game/book-

fiddle with remote/controller -

-find band or movie or tv show-

go back

...or I could just say 'xbox 'yankee hotel foxtrot'' or 'xbox start x-files'

The problem with this is that most people here/'gamers' don't give two shits about this, especially when it's one of the three major consoles. And especially if they still live at their parents' house where they don't own the living room. At the first unveiling of a console, it certainly looks like your focus has shifted from games to not-games. When instead, its more 'the improvements we've made is to unify your tv into one Xbox/gaming driven experience. Don't leave the Xbox to do anything in your living room, games are a moments away. Notifications, game invites, blah blah'

I love talking to my TV (Xbox) and phone. On Xbox, it is so nice to pause, stop start and most of all search for contents via voice. No more typing, looking at all locations, just ask and it take me there.

Windu

my usage scenario is while cooking, or reading or playing a board game with friends. It's a big shift from

-leave kitchen/board game/book-

fiddle with remote/controller -

-find band or movie or tv show-

go back

...or I could just say 'xbox 'yankee hotel foxtrot'' or 'xbox start x-files'

The problem with this is that most people here/'gamers' don't give two shits about this, especially when it's one of the three major consoles. And especially if they still live at their parents' house where they don't own the living room.
i don't have a kinect or anything and rarely use my 360 but i love how search works with voice and across services. Been using a apple tv recently and that is one area where it is awful. Searching on that thing is a pain in the ass. So something like that is the favorite thing about kinect.

So what exactly are you searching for? Will Kinect find a video on Netflix from the dashboard, or do you have to open up the app first? Right now Netflix and YouTube are the only times I really need to search for something. If it's just my own media, well it's organized to the point where I will probably find it faster in the menus anyway.

So what exactly are you searching for? Will Kinect find a video on Netflix from the dashboard, or do you have to open up the app first? Right now Netflix and YouTube are the only times I really need to search for something. If it's just my own media, well it's organized to the point where I will probably find it faster in the menus anyway.

You can search from the Dashboard, but the way it currently works it's actually easier to just open the app.

So right now if I search for 'Arrested Development' from the dash it will bring up the show as a result. I can select an episode and it will show be the different providers to watch it through (Xbox Video, Netflix, Hulu, etc). I can then select Netflix and it will launch Netflix and start that episode.

I assume/hope that process will be streamlined with the new Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom