• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the mobile industry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDUKt_XgfJ4&feature=player_embedded

Nice ad. Wish they would just pop an apple logo up instead of the soft voiceover:

Nice ad. I really like the one about taking photos with the iPhone as well, nice music track, lots of cool footage.

---------------------------

Whoa, I just realized that you can set Weather Flow as your lock screen app and still use the Bing wallpaper at the same time. Very cool.

So what exactly are you searching for? Will Kinect find a video on Netflix from the dashboard, or do you have to open up the app first? Right now Netflix and YouTube are the only times I really need to search for something. If it's just my own media, well it's organized to the point where I will probably find it faster in the menus anyway.

I search for games, video, movies, and most of the time DLC. Instead of go hunting for stuff in Marketplace (it's one clusterfuck anyway). I just said Xbox, Bing Forza Horizon and it pull up all related items. From there I can refine search like, Season Pass or specific pack.

I don't know I never have deep hatred for Kinect like many. I used it for exercise and find it good enough for what I want. (I live in rainy Washington and go running sometime is not an option).

My biggest beef with Xbox One really is the lack of continuity from Xbox 360. I was listening to Idle Thumb today on my way to work and it's interesting perspective coming from people who don't paid attention at all to Xbox console. They think console looks good (unlike most Gaffers), they feel that it is target the "casual" hardcore that play CoD, Halo, watch sports and I think they are completely correct. They brought up interesting thought about the HDMI pass through and suggest that they could do that with Xbox 360, ie have Xbox 360 pass through and running and controlling 360 from Xbox One. The non-gaming tech site seems to be positive about Xbox One and think that it is going to be big. (with exception of the Verge, of course if this was google TV, the verge would proclaim it's the next breakthrough).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Its not worth the money if its a backup phone. Ditto for the HTC one. Nice phones, but neither would be my daily driver, so I wouldn't spend much. I wish the N4 had expandable storage, it would make it more appealing.

Milchjon

This is still my reaction whenever I see a S3/S4:

C9C4hTD.jpg

Magni

Nice ad. I really like the one about taking photos with the iPhone as well, nice music track, lots of cool footage.

---------------------------

Whoa, I just realized that you can set Weather Flow as your lock screen app and still use the Bing wallpaper at the same time. Very cool.

Yeah, I wish Forecast would do that too.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Quick aside, I saw Star Trek the other day and during the trailers they showed Internship, which is basically Google the movie, :lol

d[-_-]b

Banned
So new to the world of Windows Phone, which is the recommend phone, my little sister wanted to switch to Verizon and asked me about the 8X and I was like I have no clue lol... She said it's between that and Z10 Blackberry, but if there is a better phone I'd prefer to tell her about that one.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
d[-_-]b;59054229 said:
So new to the world of Windows Phone, which is the recommend phone, my little sister wanted to switch to Verizon and asked me about the 8X and I was like I have no clue lol... She said it's between that and Z10 Blackberry, but if there is a better phone I'd prefer to tell her about that one.

If she is going to Verizon, the Lumia 928 is definitely the one to get.

d[-_-]b;59054229 said:

Verizon has the Lumia 928 as flagship now, which is the better phone in terms of software support (Nokia has some good exclusive apps), but it's also noticeably heavier than the HTC 8X. Tell her to check both out in the store.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Quick aside, I saw Star Trek the other day and during the trailers they showed Internship, which is basically Google the movie, :lol

The most egregious use of product placement since AOL The Movie ie You've Got Mail.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
d[-_-]b;59054229 said:

If she is buying a Windows Phone, she HAS to go Nokia. The additional software support by Nokia is irreplaceable on the platform. And I would definitely take a 928 over a Z10.

d[-_-]b;59054229 said:
Tell her to look for the Lumia 928. Nokia is the only OEM worth buying on Windows Phone IMHO

kharma45

Microsoft and Google working together on new YouTube Windows Phone app

Google is announcing today that it's working together with Microsoft on a new YouTube application for Windows Phone. Following a fight with Microsoft over its unauthorized YouTube app, the pair appear to have resolved their differences. Google demanded that Microsoft should remove its app by May 22nd, but Microsoft issued an update to address some of Google's concerns earlier this week. Google says "Microsoft and YouTube are working together to update the new YouTube for Windows Phone app to enable compliance with YouTube’s API terms of service, including enabling ads, in the coming weeks."

Microsoft, for its part, has said that it's happy to include ads in its YouTube Windows Phone application if Google allows it and provides access to an official API. It appears that Google is now willing to grant Microsoft access to its official API, following complaints from the software giant that Google has previously prevented it from offering consumers a fully featured YouTube app for Windows Phone. Microsoft's move to release its own full YouTube Windows Phone application, instead of a simple link to a mobile site, was a clear move to thrust the issue into the public domain and apply pressure to Google to open up its API or face the risk of appearing unreasonable. Microsoft will now work with Google on the new app, and will "replace the existing YouTube app in Windows Phone Store with the previous version during this time," according to a Google spokesperson.

The controversy follows months of bickering between the two technology giants, and this latest episode follows an uproar that led to Google removing a block of its Maps service for Windows Phone users. A collaboration will clearly benefit mutual customers of Microsoft and Google who simply want to use a Windows Phone with Google's web services.

maeh2k

Effectively this means it's back to square one for YouTube on Windows Phone, and it's likely that most of the new full functionality will be removed in the updated application.

Thanks a lot, Google ^^

MCD

So only after MS used this aggressive tactic we got a response from Google.

Should do this with every app lol.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Battery wise, what do you think is better. Having the WiFi always connected or to have it turn itself on after waking up the phone?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not going back to a web wrapper. Will MS yank the app or force me to update? I freaking love the YouTube app MS developed, better than the crappy iPad app, better than the android app.

NeOak

I updated it because I didn't bother for the lack of downloading, but fuck Google if they force MS to make a shitty wrapper again.

f0lken

How can it be a wrapper if m.youtube doesn't allow ads and that was the main complaint from Google?

EDIT: We are in the Community OT -_____-

Troll

Banned
The Verge update the article and apparently they have to use the iframe embedded API :p oh well I use myTube anyways.

I've never noticed a difference between the two settings but it's more convenient for me to have it always on. Plus it helps my data usage for the month.

kharma45

Does anyone know if the latest MetroTube update is also removing functionality?

It's adding the ability to click on YouTube links in Baconit and have MetroTube open them by default rather than IE 10 afaik. My update is buggered anyway, keeps failing. Must try a reinstall.

How can it be a wrapper if m.youtube doesn't allow ads and that was the main complaint from Google?

EDIT: We are in the Community OT -_____-

RIP Windows Phone thread.

Whhooaaaa, super cool thing I just got for lifelogger. You can add your photos from skydrive, and basically create mini-logs from your past. I've got at least some documentation now of my drive up from Houston to Seattle last summer. Pretty cool that I can 'map' it out now (though that mapping is now only from photos...).

Are the mods moving everything to Community?! LEGO Gaf also just got move to Community. Welcome to purgatory.

I was playing with my son 820, it's actually a very nice phone. For the price I paid for it's a great deal. I was surprise the wireless charging shell added to the weight of phone. (Also how heavy 920 is compare to 820 even with wireless charging shell, without the shell the phone is lighter than the 900).

rPXcjsul.jpg

It's adding the ability to click on YouTube links in Baconit and have MetroTube open them by default rather than IE 10 afaik. My update is buggered anyway, keeps failing. Must try a reinstall.

RIP Windows Phone thread.

There's a note when I open MetroTube about they are having trouble with listing in Microsoft store.

Milchjon

Whhooaaaa, super cool thing I just got for lifelogger. You can add your photos from skydrive, and basically create mini-logs from your past. I've got at least some documentation now of my drive up from Houston to Seattle last summer. Pretty cool that I can 'map' it out now (though that mapping is now only from photos...).

That sounds cool. Would like to try this for a US trip last year.

Also, Community is the new OT. 95% of GAF's relevant content are in here.

derFeef

does anyone have problem with installing metrotube?
I got an update notification downloaded it and it cant install it

Got an update but it installed fine on my 8X
edit: okay after actually checkin the app there is a message from them regarding the update issue.

Totakeke

So that's why I haven't been seeing the thread around.

Someone wants to buy the 822 my mom is using so she needs a new phone and apparently I'm going to give her my AT&T 8X because I want something with internet sharing. I'd rather not downgrade, so the cheaper options are either another 8X or a 920.

Hmm ;/. I think I prefer the 8X although the construction feels kinda cheap (it creaks if you put pressure on the back), but it's pretty slim and nice to hold. But a gray or cyan 920 may change my mind. Are there any other options? 925 and 928 just came out and only in the US so they'll be more expensive.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
didn't realize till now that the calendar app has a to-do section where you can set up reminders. Awesome.

kharma45

So that's why I haven't been seeing the thread around.

Someone wants to buy the 822 my mom is using so she needs a new phone and apparently I'm going to give her my AT&T 8X because I want something with internet sharing. I'd rather not downgrade, so the cheaper options are either another 8X or a 920.

Hmm ;/. I think I prefer the 8X although the construction feels kinda cheap (it creaks if you put pressure on the back), but it's pretty slim and nice to hold. But a gray or cyan 920 may change my mind. Are there any other options? 925 and 928 just came out and only in the US so they'll be more expensive.

Might find an ATIV S cheap enough. It's a solid phone imo, would take it over the 8X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom