• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

The first app you should always download is the official WMPU app, can't go a day without it personally.

image.php

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
name me some good apps, just got a wp8
Installed non-stock apps:

Amazing Weather HD
Audible
Authenticator
Battle.net Authenticator
IRC7
LatestChatty
Lumia Storage Check
Netflix
Nextgen Reader
Pandora
PDF Reader
Play To
Twitter
USA Today
WebApps
WPCentral

Commodore

For anyone else that uses it, Twabbit, one of the better third party twitter apps we have, is integrating Metrotube as an option to open youtube links. Looking forward to it.

I saw 928 in the wild today. It's a really nice looking phone. (White) May be with Verizons having Nokia flagship may be we will see even more up tick in Windows Phone. 5% we are coming for you!

Shameless promotion again...
Anyone else want to futz around with my app?

Image album here: http://imgur.com/a/GkAcF

Some new updates (that I'm stoked about)
-Better perf on a whole lot of things.
-Better image management (bug in WP API that might be the cause of that 'other storage' issue)
-SKYDRIVE PHOTO DOWNLOADS: Integrate all photos from well known photos in your skydrive account to LifeLogger. I can now grab all the photos I took from my Italy trip last year and make a 'journal' out of them for easy viewing. I could pin that journal to the start screen for even easier viewing. lifeLogger caches thumbnails of all of the photos, which for about 1000 photos takes up about 1 or 2 MBs of data. Full-Resolution images are all streamed from skydrive when viewed in larger screen
-Daily Journal took a big hit because of the above, so I redesigned it to be closer to what the final design will look like. Because of how big this could get, I've got some 'jumpers' now for per-month viewing.
-The settings page looks much better.
-Pivots are now better animated.

The next update should be out in the next two days...

Getting pretty close to release now guys. Prreeeetty close. If you want to muck around with it (especially try out the skydrive bit...that's troublesome), please message me with your MSA email

I like the splash screen.

I was thinking about buying a (super) cheap Ativ S or 8X, but I don't want a Samsung again (like, seriously no way) and I'm still iffy on HTC products. Why is buying stuff you don't need always so hard?!

Milchjon

A cheap 920 is still 70-100 more expansive than an 8X or Ativ. That's a lot for something you don't need. Then again, who doesn't need a good and well designed phone ... #firstworldproblems

First off, don't act like you don't need a 920.

Secondly, you sound dangerously German there, and you don't want that, right?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Why is buying stuff you don't need always so hard?!

Tell me about it. I've been waffling on buying a cheap Android phone for a month now. I sold my N1 with the sole purpose of replacing it with another Android backup phone and I just can't pull the trigger. The N4 is probably the best choice, but I can get an HTC first for a full $100 cheaper. Not to mention the fact that when I sold the N1, I really thought that there would be a lot of uses for my Android phone, but then Nokia/MS released a bunch of Xbox games, Itsdagram turned out to be fantastic, and MS made the best Youtube app on any platform. Now I really can't think of a single thing I would want an Android phone for, so I'm stuck waffling on what to do. Ugh.

zedge

Tell me about it. I've been waffling on buying a cheap Android phone for a month now. I sold my N1 with the sole purpose of replacing it with another Android backup phone and I just can't pull the trigger. The N4 is probably the best choice, but I can get an HTC first for a full $100 cheaper. Not to mention the fact that when I sold the N1, I really thought that there would be a lot of uses for my Android phone, but then Nokia/MS released a bunch of Xbox games, Itsdagram turned out to be fantastic, and MS made the best Youtube app on any platform. Now I really can't think of a single thing I would want an Android phone for, so I'm stuck waffling on what to do. Ugh.

Google now is pretty dope.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Google now is pretty dope.

Won't help me where I live, unfortunately. At least not the route planning/daily commute part. The rest doesn't seem unique to me, or I probably can replicate on my 920. Nokia Drive also nullifies the excellent Google Maps turn by turn. There just isn't anything left on Android that excites me. Notifications were huge for me two years ago, but I've personally moved in the opposite direction. Working on my dissertation, I've disabled all notifications for social media and games, including sounds, badges, and pop ups. Notifications aren't a big deal to me anymore. I don't even have my work Outlook account set to push.

zedge

Won't help me where I live, unfortunately. At least not the route planning/daily commute part. The rest doesn't seem unique to me, or I probably can replicate on my 920. Nokia Drive also nullifies the excellent Google Maps turn by turn. There just isn't anything left on Android that excites me. Notifications were huge for me two years ago, but I've personally moved in the opposite direction. Working on my dissertation, I've disabled all notifications for social media and games, including sounds, badges, and pop ups. Notifications aren't a big deal to me anymore. I don't even have my work Outlook account set to push.

Fair enough. I have discovered I am too dependant on all googs services. Still debating on what I'm doing. Still using my s3 even though I got my 920 back, unrepaired :/.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Fair enough. I have discovered I am too dependant on all googs services.

Like what? Email? Calendar? YouTube? Online storage? Chat? These things are interchangeable, I've found. We have three platforms who offer a rich feature set and then each has unique strengths, but I don't see what part of google's services that I used on android for a year I'm missing without an alternative. So it comes down to personal stuff like, do you use office a lot (WP) do you care about notifications a ton (android), do you care about having all the apps (IOS) do you play a crapton of games on your phone (IOS), do you care about achievements etc.

Also, which platform do you prefer to use day to day. That's been the difference maker for me, I simply like using windows phone more, I like Nokia hardware, etc. Only fanboys pretend that they can't switch or that Windows phone is impossible to use as a daily driver (that's not aimed at you btw), when really we've reached a plateau and for the vast majority of people, any of these platforms will do and its just personal preference. I could move to iPhone tomorrow and be fine, or android and be fine, and in fact I've been on all three, something that many people who pop in here and talk shit have never done.

zedge

Like what? Email? Calendar? YouTube? Online storage? Chat? These things are interchangeable, I've found. We have three platforms who offer a rich feature set and then each has unique strengths, but I don't see what part of google's services that I used on android for a year I'm missing without an alternative. So it comes down to personal stuff like, do you use office a lot (WP) do you care about notifications a ton (android), do you care about having all the apps (IOS) do you play a crapton of games on your phone (IOS), do you care about achievements etc.

Also, which platform do you prefer to use day to day. That's been the difference maker for me, I simply like using windows phone more, I like Nokia hardware, etc. Only fanboys pretend that they can't switch or that Windows phone is impossible to use as a daily driver (that's not aimed at you btw), when really we've reached a plateau and for the vast majority of people, any of these platforms will do and its just personal preference. I could move to iPhone tomorrow and be fine, or android and be fine, and in fact I've been on all three, something that many people who pop in here and talk shit have never done.

A number of things. I prefer Google + to skydrive for uploading my pics, I can easily share them on G+ also. I actually really like G+ to begin with, use it alot lately. The app is slick. A real youtube app is a big one too, being able to upload direct from my phone is a big plus. I quite like the native youtube app on Android also, the MS one was on the right path but still lacking some features. Notifications are a big one, now that I have been back on it I love it again. Just a personal thing. Speaking of games, sure iOS is king but Android is on another level compared to WP, the gaming situation on Android has improved immensely in the past year alone. Its great that WP is getting more games but these are games that have been around for a year or more on Android and iOS. Although this is not that important to me overall. Google now I absolutely love, it reminds me of games (sports), stock prices, travelling time, local spots depending on where I am, without opening separate apps. When it was tracking a parcel recently I was floored. I am honestly blown away with how awesome it is. This alone is enough to keep me on Android to be honest. Recently google also updated its music app, it blows the god awful music player on WP out of the water, imo of course :) . Its beautiful. If google launches all access in Canada I will be cancelling Xbox music and jumping in with Google music.

Now day to day I could probably use WP, I did for months, but I think I was fooling myself to some degree. I really do like WP and always will, but for now I think I am back to Android land. My issues with the 920 have not helped either. I actually really want to pick up an HTC One, just trying to figure out a plan. :D

Sorry for the long post. I really didnt want to get into this as it can get people heated up sometimes, just my thoughts right now. Things always change though, I am a gadget junkie, usually only last 6 months or so with one phone..lol. I really hope MS and Google work out their differences and WP gets proper first party google apps like iOS. That would be sweet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I like G+, was a member since the beta. No one uses it, though, so it's irrelevant. These are good conversations. I'm not "fooling" myself by using WP, I literally cannot think of a single reason why I should buy an android device, even as a backup device, and that surprised me. Google + sure as hell is not it, lol. If I was a super serious phone gamer, I wouldn't go android either. I'll probably use the money to get a new iPad or something. Google putting on a shitty IO certainly didn't push me to android, I was hoping for an lte N4 with a storage space bump. Ah well, like I said earlier, its not like I NEED a backup phone.

When it comes down to it, YouTube is the only essential service I use that I can't get anywhere besides Google. I guess it's not that strange, then, that Google wants to leverage YouTube to keep competitors down.

When it comes down to it, YouTube is the only essential service I use that I can't get anywhere besides Google. I guess it's not that strange, then, that Google wants to leverage YouTube to keep competitors down.

So you've completely abandoned Google Search for Bing? You never use Google Search? Ever?

kehs

Banned

Yea...that crazy watch my videos and pay for them leverage.... Its like Obama trying to give people health care,....damned FDR commies.

stktt

Banned
So you've completely abandoned Google Search for Bing? You never use Google Search? Ever?

Very rarely. Microsoft bribes you with Redbox/MS Points for searching for gibberish daily, and Bing is usually fine for my searches. The only area where I find Google outright superior is searching through forums.

Commodore

Why think like it has to be black and white like that? Like Van was saying a few posts up, "only fanboys pretend" they can't use one or the other interchangeably. I'm fine pulling up bing on my phone for a quick info grab, or identifying a song, or checking for a nearby restaurant. The bing app as a generalized search hub works excellently. On my desktop, at home, I use Chrome to browse the web, and its just easier use the address bar to search. Works great. I just don't understand the line in the sand. Enjoy the whole beach.

Why think like it has to be black and white like that? Like Van was saying a few posts up, "only fanboys pretend" they can't use one or the other interchangeably. I'm fine pulling up bing on my phone for a quick info grab, or identifying a song, or checking for a nearby restaurant. The bing app as a generalized search hub works excellently. On my desktop, at home, I use Chrome to browse the web, and its just easier use the address bar to search. Works great. I just don't understand the line in the sand. Enjoy the whole beach.

I wasn't even talking to you. I was merely responding to this statement:

When it comes down to it, YouTube is the only essential service I use that I can't get anywhere besides Google.

I was just checking that he actually meant what he said. That's it.

No, I actually still use Google search and Chrome on my laptop, but not because I think they're better or anything, more just out of a force of habit. Hell, I've actually been pretty disappointed with Google's search results lately. And if Microsoft did open tab sharing between devices with IE they would get me to switch to IE on my desktop too.

I was just saying that the only service Google has that I use and can't get a comparable alternative anywhere else is YouTube. Which is what I meant when I said:

When it comes down to it, YouTube is the only essential service I use that I can't get anywhere besides Google.

Also, if we're going to get into apparently difficult to comprehend statements, what does this mean?

Yea...that crazy watch my videos and pay for them leverage.... Its like Obama trying to give people health care,....damned FDR commies.

hadareud

The Translator
Just create an outlook alias for it. You can then either set that as the default address or change the email address over to it completely.

Heretic

Just create an outlook alias for it. You can then either set that as the default address or change the email address over to it completely.

i've been thinking about doing that but I already have too many things attached to that hotmail account. Took forever to switch over from gmail.

hadareud

The Translator
i've been thinking about doing that but I already have too many things attached to that hotmail account. Took forever to switch over from gmail.

I'm using an outlook alias on my old hotmail account.

I've set the outlook alias to default, but haven't switched over completely mainly because I read it can cause problems on the phone and I can't be arsed updating things on the xbox etc.

Still, once you set that one to default that's the email address people will see and I think you can now even log on with it (or maybe that's happening soon), so for all intents and purposes that's your email address.

MCD

Xbox One PR nightmare made me appreciate WP team's shut up and ship it attitude.

Seriously, what's going on at the Xbox team? Even Steve Ballmer wasn't present at the reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom